• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I just checked to make sure I wasn't totally misremembering, his mother committed suicide. He was dumped in an orphanage at 5, he hardly led a privileged life. I'd say that still counts as a small beginning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zznYGAm9rGg
The scene with Marlow from UC3. Go to 50s in, i'd timestamp but I don't know how sorry!
That old woman said that she had a disease, is that a retcon?

McBryBry

I feel like I can rank this one at the top after sitting on it for a few days. That's not doing any of the others a disservice because they're all fantastic.

UC4
UC3/UC2 (I can never decide which one I like more. I'll lean towards 3 then get indecisive)
UC1
UC:GA

Just finished the game. Overall I am satisfied and pretty impressed how they managed to implement good parts of TLOU's DNA without sacrificing the unique uncharted identity in particular.

Short question:
Did anyone else feel TLOU opening vibes while playing the short epilogue and Left Behind vibes while exploring the mansion?

Question: When you complete the game and go to chapter select to mop of trophies and collectibles. When it asks you to save at any point, do you overwrite your completed game save? Or do you have to select a new save? I'm guessing you overwrite if you're mopping up collectibles from that save game right?

Might sound silly but I just wanted to check before I go ahead!

It took me just under 24 hours on hard. I must suck even though I did spend a lot of time looking for treasures.

Well, I didn't explore much although I gathered most of the journals and chats. Only 49 treasures and didn't waste time in Photomode, that's saved for my third ride. ;)

3rdbass

Banned
Well, I didn't explore much although I gathered most of the journals and chats. Only 49 treasures and didn't waste time in Photomode, that's saved for my third ride. ;)

I just got hung up on some of those ending battles unfortunately. I think the added openness made things confusing for me. Too many choices. LOL! I'm so use to just playing linear games as Sandbox games makes it too hard for me. I haven't adjusted to the new open game as I'm old school. LOL!

Just finished the game. Overall I am satisfied and pretty impressed how they managed to implement good parts of TLOU's DNA without sacrificing the unique uncharted identity in particular.

Short question:
Did anyone else feel TLOU opening vibes while playing the short epilogue and Left Behind vibes while exploring the mansion?
Sam and Nate trying on the helmets and taking the polaroid selfie (although it's used as a more significant plot device in U4) are pretty much straight out of Left Behind.

I never really trusted
Sam so that didn't really resonate with me. I have my suspicions that he was originally intended to be a villain because he just comes of as a sleazy character.(+the tone in that teaser)

It might've been intentional to make Elena refreshing, but Sam didn't fit that role for me. Maybe if the ending was less of a straightforward happy ending, I would've appreciated it more, but as it stands I'm just left wanting more humor and a scenario where Sam's story wasn't a lie, culminating with the clashing of the three parties.

Maybe I wasn't clear,
I'm saying that I think it was appropriate that there was a lack of banter and humor in the Sam only stretch from 12-15. Not because of anything intrinsic to Sam but because Nate very nearly just ruined his marriage so the banter from earlier chapters just wouldn't have felt emotionally honest at that point. I think inserting Sully (or Elena or Chloe or Cutter or really anybody) would have ruined the feeling that they were aiming for in that stretch of game.

Jennipeg

That old woman said that she had a disease, is that a retcon?

Not sure,
Evelyn says, 'but then her illness....' and doesn't say anymore, I took that to mean mental illness, given the context of UC3, and that led to her suicide. I figured she would have been very unwell before that, and perhaps not able to look after 2 boys, so their lives with her wouldn't have been easy before she died.

I just got hung up on some of those ending battles unfortunately. I think the added openness made things confusing for me. Too many choices. LOL! I'm so use to just playing linear games as Sandbox games makes it too hard for me. I haven't adjusted to the new open game as I'm old school. LOL!

Well me too, most of Scotland was me trying to adjust my gamestyle to the game's needs, spent a while lost there.

Not sure,
Evelyn says, 'but then her illness....' and doesn't say anymore, I took that to mean mental illness, given the context of UC3, and that led to her suicide. I figured she would have been very unwell before that, and perhaps not able to look after 2 boys, so their lives with her wouldn't have been easy before she died.

Something along those lines yeah,
remember the boy that stole Nate's book, he said that Nate's mom was in hell... so I can she probably commited suicide and was taking pills most of the time as depicted.

ShutterMunster

Thanks! didn't know about this and looks like an interesting reading.

Yeah, I do think it's fascinating how far ahead Naughty Dog is compared to AAA developers. If you want to find games that take story as seriously you have to look towards the indies and usually they take story so seriously because they can't offer the other stuff.

The most baffling thing to me regarding the Uncharted 4 reaction is this: things that were improved for this title that have remained stagnant in all 3 of the earlier games are some of the things I'm only now hearing gripes about. Like, I don't think there was a whole lot more platforming in 4 than the other games, but they added a bunch of stuff to make it at least slightly more engaging like the rope, the stabby thing, and the multiple paths. And yet, only now I'm hearing that people are really pissed off by its brainless nature, so I'm a bit confused.

Any theories or discussions on
the cause of mama Drake's death? Something about that "They say mom's in hell because..." (or something) line was interesting and I thought they were going to get back to it.

Also,
I still don't know how Drake got to Cartegena. I thought that they had established that being down there in an orphanage named after Drake and with access to a museum of his artifacts is what started his "obsession". I need some kind of head canon to help me swallow this easier.

Jennipeg

Well me too, most of Scotland was me trying to adjust my gamestyle to the game's needs, spent a while lost there.

Something along those lines yeah,
remember the boy that stole Nate's book, he said that Nate's mom was in hell... so I can she probably commited suicide and was taking pills most of the time as depicted.

Oh I had actually forgotten that, that's a good point.
Given that suicide is a sin in some or even all religions. Pretty sad that Nate probably knew his mum's fate at that age. This is exactly the reason her occupation as an explorer/historian didn't diminish the whole greatness from small beginnings aspect of the story for me. Those kids had it rough, they had no money, family, nothing.

BadHand

I beat the game last night, was going to start a new game (as apposed to chapter select) for collectibles. If I start a new game do I need to get every collectable, or just the ones I missed on the first playthrough?

I beat the game last night, was going to start a new game (as apposed to chapter select) for collectibles. If I start a new game do I need to get every collectable, or just the ones I missed on the first playthrough?

You get to keep if you choose yes to keeping it of course, it gives you that option when starting a new game.

Jennipeg

the cause of mama Drake's death? Something about that "They say mom's in hell because..." (or something) line was interesting and I thought they were going to get back to it.

Also,
I still don't know how Drake got to Cartegena. I thought that they had established that being down there in an orphanage named after Drake and with access to a museum of his artifacts is what started his "obsession". I need some kind of head canon to help me swallow this easier.

We've been talking about that in spoiler tags over the last page or 2.
In UC 3, Marlowe says she killed herself, hence the mom's in hell line in UC 4.

Question: When you complete the game and go to chapter select to mop of trophies and collectibles. When it asks you to save at any point, do you overwrite your completed game save? Or do you have to select a new save? I'm guessing you overwrite if you're mopping up collectibles from that save game right?

Might sound silly but I just wanted to check before I go ahead!

Anyone? :)

Also,

Don't think they ever established that the orphanage was in Colombia. And the orphanage in UC4 is indeed named after St. Francis. Not sure that UC3 explicit stated it was an orphanage named after Francis Drake and not St. Francis- would have to watch that scene again.

As for how he got there- I just kind of assumed that he and Sam hopped a ship there or somewhere else where they could indulge their fortune seeking and one thing led to another and he ended up in Cartegena. The game doesn't establish how much time occured between the two events but it must be at least a bit since Nate is an accomplished pick pocket by the start of UC3.

Presumably the flashback in UC3 is one of those times when Sam was in prison

Collectibles are tracked across saves (it will prompt you and ask if you want to do this).

What bit me is that playing a New Game (on a new save) will overwrite chapter and encounter progress. I didn't know that so, on my replay, I only have access to the chapters I've completed in the replay even though the game accurately brought over my collectible progress.

If I want to replay a chapter from later in the game I have to load a different save to get access to it.

Oh I had actually forgotten that, that's a good point.
Given that suicide is a sin in some or even all religions. Pretty sad that Nate probably knew his mum's fate at that age. This is exactly the reason her occupation as an explorer/historian didn't diminish the whole greatness from small beginnings aspect of the story for me. Those kids had it rough, they had no money, family, nothing.

Besides the game clearly shows that they went to square zero after the end of chapter 16 with the identity fake and stuff. And even if it didn't seem necessary to do that, let's not forget that we're talking about kids with no grown ups in charge, you can't ask for logic at that age and those circumstances.

The Lamp

Also,

It's also worth mentioning that Colombia is and was known for its supply of gold, and the area surrounding it is where the legend of El Dorado is actually from, so if that is related to Sir Francis Drake's treasure, it's interesting that Nate spent part of his life there. Also considering Cartagena was a very famous port city that defended against pirates and Spanish ships over gold and slaves.

Finished it last night, putting it at the top of my list above UC2. Also, didn't really think that the epilogue was needed, the game made it fairly positive that they were done with that life.

Maybe I wasn't clear,
I'm saying that I think it was appropriate that there was a lack of banter and humor in the Sam only stretch from 12-15. Not because of anything intrinsic to Sam but because Nate very nearly just ruined his marriage so the banter from earlier chapters just wouldn't have felt emotionally honest at that point. I think inserting Sully (or Elena or Chloe or Cutter or really anybody) would have ruined the feeling that they were aiming for in that stretch of game.

Ah, I get ya.
The problem is that since I didn't trust Sam, I felt like he was always going to stab me in the back and it probably fell a little more flat than they intended. Also, I didn't fear for their marriage since there was not much actual turmoil.

She ended up being pretty quick to forgive him and already starts quipping away in chapter 17. Everything ends too perfectly for all that melodrama. That's part of why I would've preferred a more classic, over the top game with humor. They could've at least threw us a bone in the final 2 chapters.

Edit:
Basically, the strongest "emotional" thread of the game for me didn't have anything to do with the actual plot itself. It was knowing that this was the last ride with these characters.

Finished it last night, putting it at the top of my list above UC2. Also, didn't really think that the epilogue was needed, the game made it fairly positive that they were done with that life.

Still was really emotional to me, not heartbreaking but left me depressed that we're done with this characters and have to move on to something else.

I mean... that last look at the picture :S

BumRush

I hope the DLC (SPOILERS AHEAD)
is the Malaysia job where something goes awry and Nate / Elena get back in the fray!

p.s. Cel Shaded mode is AMAZING.

UnrealEck

I just finished the game.
If I were to score it I'd say 9 (with half points included) out of 10.

I can see ways in which I'd improve on the game. Like slightly more action/shooting scenes and less jumping and climbing. I'd also liked to have seen more strategy to beating foes instead of just shooting them straight up. I only saw a couple of enemies that needed to be shot in a different place but that's the only difference I can think of that I noticed between enemies.

Ah, I get ya.
The problem is that since I didn't trust Sam, I felt like he was always going to stab me in the back and it probably fell a little more flat than they intended. Also, I didn't fear for their marriage since there was not much actual turmoil.

She ended up being pretty quick to forgive him and already starts quipping away in chapter 17. Everything ends too perfectly for all that melodrama. That's part of why I would've preferred a more classic, over the top game with humor. They could've at least threw us a bone in the final 2 chapters.

I didn't really trust Sam at that point either. There was a point in Chapter 12 where the way Sam started to answer Nate made me think he was about to confess to making up the Alcazar thing (though I hadn't guessed that Rafe would have been in on it).

I did genuinely fear for their marriage. The Nate/Elena fight in Chapter 11 was probably one of the rawest, most genuine scenes I've seen in a game. To the point where I came close to skipping it on my replay. It feels real in a way that most Uncharted cutscenes to that point had not.

At that stage of the game I wasn't really sure which way Druckmann/Straley would go. I absolutely would have believed that they would have been headed for a variety of tragic endings.

My favorite part of her quips in 17 and 18 were about what it revealed about her. She liked the adventure too. That's an aspect of her character that was well handled in both UC1 and UC2 but kind of disappeared in UC3. I loved that UC4 brought that spirit back. And I love how you can see the self-realization and forgiveness progress throughout those chapters culminating in that wonderful moment with Nate and Elena around the table where all of the pirates were poisoned.

Don't think they ever established that the orphanage was in Colombia. And the orphanage in UC4 is indeed named after St. Francis. Not sure that UC3 explicit stated it was an orphanage named after Francis Drake and not St. Francis- would have to watch that scene again.

As for how he got there- I just kind of assumed that he and Sam hopped a ship there or somewhere else where they could indulge their fortune seeking and one thing led to another and he ended up in Cartegena. The game doesn't establish how much time occured between the two events but it must be at least a bit since Nate is an accomplished pick pocket by the start of UC3.

Presumably the flashback in UC3 is one of those times when Sam was in prison

Collectibles are tracked across saves (it will prompt you and ask if you want to do this).

What bit me is that playing a New Game (on a new save) will overwrite chapter and encounter progress. I didn't know that so, on my replay, I only have access to the chapters I've completed in the replay even though the game accurately brought over my collectible progress.

If I want to replay a chapter from later in the game I have to load a different save to get access to it.

Ok so when I go to chapter select on my current save which is 100% game completion, it asks me to save before it even loads up the chapter. I just want to mop up collectibles and try for a few trophies in different chapters. So do I save over my completed one or a new save? I need to be able to back out and get access to all chapters in the game for trophy's and stuff.

I didn't really trust Sam at that point either. There was a point in Chapter 12 where the way Sam started to answer Nate made me think he was about to confess to making up the Alcazar thing (though I hadn't guessed that Rafe would have been in on it).

I did genuinely fear for their marriage. The Nate/Elena fight in Chapter 11 was probably one of the rawest, most genuine scenes I've seen in a game. To the point where I came close to skipping it on my replay. It feels real in a way that most Uncharted cutscenes to that point had not.

At that stage of the game I wasn't really sure which way Druckmann/Straley would go. I absolutely would have believed that they would have been headed for a variety of tragic endings.

My favorite part of her quips in 17 and 18 were about what it revealed about her. She liked the adventure too. That's an aspect of her character that was well handled in both UC1 and UC2 but kind of disappeared in UC3. I loved that UC4 brought that spirit back. And I love how you can see the self-realization and forgiveness progress throughout those chapters culminating in that wonderful moment with Nate and Elena around the table where all of the pirates were poisoned.

Man, I wish it did the same for me.
I liked the quips too, but just wished there was more turmoil before all of that. Maybe it's because I just didn't believe Druckmann would break them up.
It's interesting how much opinions differ on certain aspects of this game.

Not sure if you saw what I edited in above, but the strongest emotional thread for me didn't actually have anything to do with the what was going on between
Nate & Elena or Nate & Sam.
It was just knowing that this was our last time with these characters.

Edit:
That moment around the table was great!

GeeTeeCee

I hope the DLC (SPOILERS AHEAD)
is the Malaysia job where something goes awry and Nate / Elena get back in the fray!

p.s. Cel Shaded mode is AMAZING.

I'm hoping the DLC is post-game (massive endgame spoilers)
but pre-epilogue. I can't imagine Nadine would be happy to learn that the Drake brothers survived Libertalia, and she doesn't seem the type to not pursue the men who destroyed her livelihood.

BumRush

but pre-epilogue. I can't imagine Nadine would be happy to learn that the Drake brothers survived Libertalia, and she doesn't seem the type to not pursue the men who destroyed her livelihood.

EXACTLY

Well, first of all I don't think it's in Naughty Dog's interest to continue any threads from Uncharted 4 given what they did with Left Behind. The way I and maybe ND sees it is that putting more story from Uncharted 4 into the singeplayer DLC will be admitting in a way that Uncharted 4 didn't tell the full story. Additionally, I think Nadine's whole attitude at the end of the game implied she didn't give a fuck about them anymore after closing the door on them.

I think the DLC will not at all follow Nathan or Elena. Cassy is a maybe.

i would pay $100 for uncharted 2 with ps4 graphics

no change in mechanics or anything, just graphics

$100 US dollars

same goes for uncharted 1, except make it have uncharted 2 mechanics

Ricky_R

I gotta say... Chapter 4 is one of the best things I've experienced since I started gaming 29 years ago. It hit so many chords.

I could play an entire game with only segments like that.

dralla

How did they destroy her livelihood? She was only in it for the money/treasure so she can rebuild Shoreline. She got millions in treasure, she can rebuild. I don't see the point in bringing her back. She got what she wanted a left.

Not sure if you saw what I edited in above, but the strongest emotional thread for me didn't actually have anything to do with the what was going on between
Nate & Elena or Nate & Sam.
It was just knowing that this was our last time with these characters.

Definitely agree with that. Man, that epilogue...

GeeTeeCee

How did they destroy her livelihood? She was only in it for the money/treasure so she can rebuild Shoreline. She got millions in treasure, she can rebuild. I don't see the point in bringing her back. She got what she wanted a left.

Ahh, I didn't know
she made it away with enough treasure. I assumed the rest of Shoreline was largely destroyed in the ship explosion, and those that were left didn't exactly seem loyal enough to stick around and wait for her to escape Avery's ship when they're sitting there with a heap of very valuable cargo.

Not to mention she now has the reputation as the merc who got almost her entire company wiped out by two men while off on a wild goose chase for some spoiled rich boy.

Top Bottom