• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Other than that, sometimes Drake doesn't want to jump to the place I want him to go, or I he just won't turn where I need him too, especially when I have him hanging on a ledge and then he needs to jump behind him. I've died way more to falling than actual combat.

Lol, yeah, same here

It's a problem with the way the controls change depending on the camera angle. I find it a genuine annoyance, but it could just be that you and I suck :p

Villain ranking: Rafe>Flynn>Nadine>Lazaravich>Eddie Raja>Marlowe>Ramses>Navarro>Roman> Talbot

I'd agree with this except I would put Roman & Navarro at the end. I just replayed Uncharted 1 two weeks ago and I couldn't have told you their names until I saw it in your post. Eddie Raja was the only memorable villain from UC1.

Yeah, it really breaks my heart. UC3 had my favorite story, but it was the furthest from reaching it's potential. It should have been delayed.

I wonder how much a delay would have helped the story, personally. It seems like UC3 showed the deficiencies in their model at the time of "we design the setpieces first and then figure out the story later". It worked wonderfully in UC2 but I wonder if that was just happy circumstance.

I do think that a few more months would have smoothed out some of the gameplay issues.

I LOVED how Nadine
just fucking peaced out of there at the end. She was the most capable character throughout the whole game lol

I'd agree with this except I would put Roman & Navarro at the end. I just replayed Uncharted 1 two weeks ago and I couldn't have told you their names until I saw it in your post. Eddie Raja was the only memorable villain from UC1.

Yeah they are bland as fuck. Talbot scores lower for being a total wasted opportunity and not even having any defining characteristics or motivations besides having more presence.

Ascenion

Lazarevic is honestly the only real villain. He wanted to control the world through the sap. Everyone else basically were just antagonists looking to steal shit the same as Nate to gain wealth. Marlowe and Talbot are the next closest going after the Djin for god knows what. Rafe and Nadine are better written but their reasoning is petty as crap. Flynn was a tool, Ramses is just a sign U3 had no idea what the hell it was doing with its story and Roman and Navarro are just cheesy generic bad dudes.

PSX arena: I purposely didn't watch any of the trailers more than once or twice so that the game felt as fresh as possible, but if you watched that a lot, then I can see that. There was a ton of freedom in that arena though.

14: If all of that stuff in the first half engaged you, then I can see it working for you, but personally I wasn't particularly interested beyond the pretty scenery. You can critical it the second time, but I didn't want to do that. I fully explored it again to make sure I wasn't missing something because I found it incredibly boring.

21: Didn't work for me at all, but if you felt that the pacing of the game was fine up until that point, then you might not take issue with it.

Raven117

Those horrible South African accents are starting to annoy me....(Its obvious they didn't have an actual South African actor and they tried to coach them up...Instead we get a half British, half Australian accent).

I don't have much of an issue with the pacing. I play it for the story anyway...so...yeah. its whatever.

Yeah they are bland as fuck. Talbot scores lower for being a total wasted opportunity and not even having any defining characteristics or motivations besides having more presence.

I give Talbot some slight points for the sheer concept of being Dark Drake but they never developed or did anything with it. I also like the idea of a set of villains who accomplish their deeds through sleight of hand and trickery but, again, it was never developed in the slightest.

Jennipeg

damn! that scene's easily more effective than any dramatic scene in u4!...

u4 deserved a better villain (&, yeah, sam recast as main villain / former 'orphan big bro' to nate would've provided that better villain :) )...

Now I don't know about that, I really liked Nadine, and hated Rafe (in the best way). I think I would have preferred Marlowe if her story had come together better, the whole is Talbot magic thing was just weird and a sign of unclear story telling. Her presence was fantastic though, the actress did a great job with her.

I LOVED how Nadine
just fucking peaced out of there at the end. She was the most capable character throughout the whole game lol
Yes!! Loved that.

14: If all of that stuff in the first half engaged you, then I can see it working for you, but personally I wasn't particularly interested beyond the pretty scenery. You can critical it the second time, but I didn't want to do that. I fully explore it again to make sure I wasn't missing something because I found it incredibly boring.

I think that's at the core of UC4's level design. Although the environments are far more expansive than we've seen before they don't take anything at all from recent spate of hub focused games with points of interest that can be checked off. So it's easy to put yourself in the mode of "hey look there is a corner over there, I better go see if there is a collectible to pick up". More often than not in UC4, there isn't anything there. But it's quite easy to burn out and find yourself continually doing that even if it isn't something you enjoy.

ND does a pretty good job at telegraphing the areas you should check out. In Chapters 10 and 12 it's either pretty obvious or one of your companions will comment when you get close. If it's not obvious then just press on through because you probably aren't missing anything.

Then, when you get to Chapter 14 you suddenly have an entire area that, if you are into the background story being presented, is really fascinating and has a much higher density of environmental story details. But if you burned yourself out in checking every little island in Chapter 12 then you may not be in the mood for what the first half of 14 offers. Same if you aren't into the story of Henry Avery.

20: Didn't work for me at all, but if you felt that the pacing of the game was fine up until that point, then you might not take issue with it.

What was wrong with the pacing of Chapter 20? It's pretty much just balls out action and the closest the game gets to the combat highs of Uncharted 2. EDIT- nevermind just saw the later post.

I think at some point in the near future it would be great to do a "Looking back on Uncharted" style thread where we analyse the highs and lows of the franchise.

What it got right, what it didn't, its impact and so on. Could be fun.

Well we are at a point in which we need to rank villains:

2) Flynn
3) Rafe
4) Marlow
5) Nadine
6) Eddie
7) Lazarevic
8) Roman
9) Talbot
10) Navarro

1) David. :p

Well we are at a point in which we need to rank villains:

2) Flynn
3) Rafe
4) Marlow
5) Nadine
6) Eddie
7) Lazarevic
8) Roman
9) Talbot
10) Navarro

1) David. :p

I would never put Navarro over Roman. Navarro at least had the whole "I'm tired of you treating my like an idiot lackey. I'm over this old man" thing. Roman had literally nothing.

Fuser

I was born very close to where both Drake and Avery were, so therefore my opinion is very important.

I enjoyed the game a lot.

That is all. Thank you for reading.

really disagree. nadine's an underused 'bad girl', & rafe's a nasty rich boy. even a cartoon like lazarevic was more menacing & memorable than either one...

UC4 probably has the best villains just because the series never had particularly good ones. I'm in the camp of Lazarevic being the most menacing, but lacking in depth.

Rafe is well done imo, but for such a story-heavy game, Nadine felt underutilized.
Was basically just a tool for those underwhelming forced 1v1s. The part at the end was great and I liked the little convo in chapter 17 between Nate and Elena, but I was still left wanting more. I would've liked to see more Nadine and cut out some of the Sam melodrama and chapter 16.

I would never put Navarro over Roman. Navarro at least had the whole "I'm tired of you treating my like an idiot lackey. I'm over this old man" thing. Roman had literally nothing.

Honestly, neither should be placed anywhere. :p

I even prefer to think that "El Dorado" was the villain. Same with Lazarevic, terrible villain in my opinion.

Those horrible South African accents are starting to annoy me....(Its obvious they didn't have an actual South African actor and they tried to coach them up...Instead we get a half British, half Australian accent).

I don't have much of an issue with the pacing. I play it for the story anyway...so...yeah. its whatever.

I definitely agree. I remember there being some controversy over the fact that they picked a white American actress to do the voice of a black British/South African mercenary but honestly the poor job with the accent is what annoyed me the most.

I unfortunately think the further we get from this release the shine will wear off a bit and when the dust settles the strong consensus will be- amazing game but a a few steps short of goat tier. Ultimately I expect the overwhelming majority to have uc2 as the cream of the uc crop with 4 as the consensus 2nd. That's not to say it isn't an amazing achievement given how high the bar was set, but my initial play through and the reviews and whatnot I thought for sure this was going to be the new benchmark for ND. Uc2>4>>>3=1. I won't rank ga due to controversy given I enjoyed that one quite a bit. I still got tlou as NDs crowning achievement.

I completed Uncharted 2 yesterday and I am scrambling to think of the reasons that have made players hail it as the king of TPS! The pacing was good and Nathan as charming as ever, but the mechanics are frustratingly limited and limiting (The last boss is a chore...just awful), and the story less focused and engrossing than that of the first. I think that I will like the 4th one more, if only by default...

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Nearing the end. The environments are a really incredible mix of BioShock's attention to detail, and God of War's mind numbing sense of scope. Probably my favorite linear game environments since BioShock itself. "Tall grass" is still implemented too much rather implementing more organic stealth options, but it isn't a big enough component of the game for me to care too much.

One weird plot point so far:

Are we supposed to believe that the Shoreline soldiers were never actually shooting to kill with Sam? Nice plot twist, but it seemed to fly in the face of how events played out in real time up to that point.

One hell of a game.

It was pretty jarring at first, but I came to accept it.

I really wish that Sam didn't
lie or at least that Rafe wasn't the one who broke him out and we had the three different parties clashing like we were talking about last night. Would've made things a lot more interesting and I'd feel better about the straightforward ending.
Ah, what could've been

...One weird plot point so far:

Are we supposed to believe that the Shoreline soldiers were never actually shooting to kill with Sam? Nice plot twist, but it seemed to fly in the face of how events played out in real time up to that point.

One hell of a game.

Why would we be supposed to believe that? Is it hinted at?

RedAssedApe

Banned
man...i think that art thing that naughty dog tweeted out possibly spoiled stuff lol...was this the same art that was in the artbook LE that people said to stay away from?

Roufianos

Just finished it. Gonna go back and play it again because I was really rushing at times to get to the ending.

Based on my first playthrough though, I'm pretty damn dissapointed.

- The game wasn't funny in the slightest. I normally find Sully and Nate to be hilarious.

- Sully didn't get nearly enough screen time.

- The game had nothing even close to the train or plane set pieces. It probably had the least ambitious set pieces of the games post one which is crazy considering the new hardware.

- Same floaty aiming and shitty reticules.

- I found myself getting killed a lot from behind, maybe that was my fault but I don't think the encounters were well designed at all.

- The lack of main theme when booting it up was a dissapointment. That would always get me hyped up.

- Not enough variety in locations. Pretty much half of the game is in the jungle.

A lot of my complaints come from the fact that it was more grounded than previous games. I love TLOU, more than Uncharted, but its influence on this game is pretty clear and it results in a less epic adventure.

Overall, I'd rank them as U3>U2>U4=U1.

James93

One weird plot point so far:

One hell of a game.

I don't think it matters as this game leans heavy on the tropes that enemies can't hit the broad side of a barn. One guy isn't going to defeat an entire PMC

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Why would we be supposed to believe that? Is it hinted at?

It is plainly stated in that cut scene that Sam is an integral part of Raef (sp?) finding the treasure after so many years of coming up with nothing. Thirty seconds before that scene, Sam is almost getting murdered for 30th time. Just seems incongruous.

I'm not saying that is the direct implication, I'm asking if we are supposed to think that... because without that implication, it is a weird assumption of what somebody could live through.

Morts

In Uncharted 3, wasn't the orphanage
named after Francis Drake? Their mom also having the theory about Drake having heirs seems like too much explanation for Sam and Nate's name change after that.

I think Uncharted 4 has raised the video game bar in terms of detail. I know FFXV is doing similar things but I don't think it will be topped in terms of detail and animation. SE did say that people in FFXV act "realistically" though.

Anung

Un Rama
Might have to peace out of Crushing. The part I'm at now is actually making me hate the game and represents everything I dislike about the combat in this series. Snipers, grenade spam and fully armoured goons all at once.

Jennipeg

In Uncharted 3, wasn't the orphanage
named after Francis Drake? Their mom also having the theory about Drake having heirs seems like too much explanation for Sam and Nate's name change after that.

It was Saint Francis of Assisi and called St Francis boys home.

Just finished it. Gonna go back and play it again because I was really rushing at times to get to the ending.

Based on my first playthrough though, I'm pretty damn dissapointed.

- The game wasn't funny in the slightest. I normally find Sully and Nate to be hilarious.

- The game had nothing even close to the train or plane set pieces. It probably had the least ambitious set pieces of the games post one which is crazy considering the new hardware.

- Same floaty aiming and shitty reticules.

- I found myself getting killed a lot from behind, maybe that was my fault but I don't think the encounters were well designed at all.

- The lack of main theme when booting it up was a dissapointment. That would always get me hyped up.

- Not enough variety in locations. Pretty much half of the game is in the jungle.

A lot of my complaints come from the fact that it was more grounded than previous games. I love TLOU, more than Uncharted, but its influence on this game is pretty clear and it results in a less epic adventure.

I actually agree with most of this. It was really lacking in the humor department apart from the first couple of chapters, when that was a huge part of what made Nate endearing in the first place. It was obviously intentional due to the more serious story, but the story was
too straightforward to make the payoff feel worth it.

Really missed Sully. Wish we got more time with him and less Sam.

The only setpiece that "wowed" me in this game was the one in chapter

The aiming was definitely floaty, but I kinda give the game a pass on this due to the great level design and breadth of mobility options.

Opening theme was a clear disappointment.

I actually liked the flanking because it made the game more challenging on harder difficulties. I can see why this would be frustrating for some though.

Yup. A lot of areas felt really similar. I took issue with the mountainous areas in particular. Couldn't tell them apart.

no bumhurt pls. no calling me a troll because i have a different opinion than you. anyone trolling will be reported to the mods as well as the police.

before i go into how much of a complete shitshow the game is, let's look at the positive:

the game looks nice.
that is all.

now let's go into why the game is a complete and utter shitshow. i am only on chapter 13, but i feel i have played enough to be able to critique the game. i will not talk about the story because that is something i cannot comment on at the moment.

the game starts in an action sequence as you play as nathan shooting some cunts on a boat with his brother. the sequence is boring, out of context, and a mechanically flawed experience designed to put you straight into the action before the game throws you into the rest of the shitshow opening. the whole opening is a non interactive shitshow for the telltale generation who put too much value on the story and characterization in a game. you idiots probably like it. especially that noel edmonds cunt. the first 4 hours of the game is literally a movie. i don't even want to call it an interactive movie because you have no control over anything. the only time you control nathan is to perform ridiculously mundane tasks such as walking over to a door and mashing a button to open it.

the first real action sequence starts about 4 hours in. this is when you start to regret asking for a action sequence and want the game to turn back into a movie about a man performing mundane tasks. you quickly realise that not only has the combat not been fixed, but it is actually worse than in previous games. the shooting mechanics and the cover system are completely broken and the enemies are still bullet sponges. they have been talking about the fucking grapple hook like it actually changes combat. it does not change the combat experience and that is because you can pretty much only use it in scripted events. the grappling hook does not change platforming either because again, scripted events only. you cannot just grapple around freely like a good game would allow you to. the combat is not organic as previews suggested. nathan is the elephant man so stealth is not an option. and why no sprint button? idiots.

the whole structure and pacing of the game is fucked and rinse and repeat. they have made the game much more open compared to previous games, but it does not work because naughty dog are complete and utter cunts. the previous games worked well because they used to flow perfectly. there was no pacing issues in those games at all. you would start at one end and walk through until you reached the other end. inbetween that, you would get great set pieces and combat sequences. there is absolutely nothing wrong with a linear game. stop pretending that something being linear is valid criticism.

this game is different. this game goes something like this:

go to place and wonder around aimlessly for 5 minutes. eventually find where you need to be and get told that the door/gate is blocked. you look around the walls for the highlighted rocks for you to climb on. you find a crate to push over to the highlighted rocks and jump on the highlighted rocks. you climb on them and press L1 to grapple on a conveniently placed bracket and find a different way in. sometimes there are no highlighted rocks at all. in that situation, sam usually points out a broken ladder that he needs boosting up to. once he is boosted up, he pushes down a crate that you can use to climb up to the broken ladder. i am not lying when i say that this is literally over 50% of the gameplay in this game. it is in EVERY chapter i have played after the first 4.

after you have done that nonsense, there is usually a simple, mundane puzzle to solve. it usually involves moving some symbols around until they fall into place. the annoying thing is that most puzzles involve doing the same thing about 3 times. you move the symbols into the correct position and then another tier opens up

when you eventually solve that puzzle trash, rafe phones you up to tell you he was outside wanking in a bush all along, has overheard everything and is now coming to beat you up with his sexy mercenary girlfriend. you are then forced into combat before the chapter ends.

i said i would not be talking about the story, but it is hard to ignore that nathan literally left his wife to go on a mass murdering spree. i can ignore that nonsense. many people cannot ignore that and find it hard to take the story seriously.

i have not played the multiplayer because i have not got a dick growing out of my head.

that is uncharted 4.

DO NOT BUY

FUCK UNCHARTED 4

#REVIEWINPROGRESS
#RARE
#EXCLUSIVE
#BUYRATCHERANDCLANKINSTEAD

Jennipeg

Might have to peace out of Crushing. The part I'm at now is actually making me hate the game and represents everything I dislike about the combat in this series. Snipers, grenade spam and fully armoured goons all at once.

I am a bit nervous about my crushing run, I did get the guide today so that should help when I need it. It was special edition and more of a collectors item but I'll use it if I have to. Is stealth an option? Or are you in an area where stealth is no go?

Edit: Is the post above legit?

You might get a better response without calling people with opposing opinions idiots near the beginning of your rant. And some of that is factually wrong, but opinions and all that.

Davide

I'm at Chapter 14 and it feels like I've seen everything from the trailers now...did the trailers not show much of the second half of the game or am I close to the end?

It was pretty jarring at first, but I came to accept it.

I really wish that Sam didn't
lie or at least that Rafe wasn't the one who broke him out and we had the three different parties clashing like we were talking about last night. Would've made things a lot more interesting and I'd feel better about the straightforward ending.
Ah, what could've been

Agreed on the spoilered part of your post.... As far as giving human behaviour to the characters I understand but I too wish it were as it was implied to drake

Anung

Un Rama
I am a bit nervous about my crushing run, I did get the guide today so that should help when I need it. It was special edition and more of a collectors item but I'll use it if I have to. Is stealth an option? Or are you in an area where stealth is no go?

I've managed to stealth though most areas or at least kill some dudes and hide until they chill out. The set piece I'm at now I'm getting attacked from all angles. There is no place for me to hunker down that doesn't result in either being jumped from a place I can't see or a million grenades being chucked my way. Bearing in mind I have infinite ammo unlocked so I'm basically one shotting everything but that isn't enough against this amount of bullshit. Fuck armoured enemies!

Jennipeg

I've managed to stealth though most areas or at least kill some dudes and hide until they chill out. The set piece I'm at now I'm getting attacked from all angles. There is no place for me to hunker down that doesn't result in either being jumped from a place I can't see or a million grenades being chucked my way. Bearing in mind I have infinite ammo unlocked so I'm basically one shotting everything but that isn't enough against this amount of bullshit. Fuck armoured enemies!

Which gun are you using? Can you switch to an RPG or anything like that? Yeah the armoured enemies are real bastards, even on normal!

no bumhurt pls. no calling me a troll because i have a different opinion than you. anyone trolling will be reported to the mods as well as the police.

before i go into how much of a complete shitshow the game is, let's look at the positive:

the game looks nice.
that is all.

now let's go into why the game is a complete and utter shitshow. i am only on chapter 13, but i feel i have played enough to be able to critique the game. i will not talk about the story because that is something i cannot comment on at the moment.

the game starts in an action sequence as you play as nathan shooting some cunts on a boat with his brother. the sequence is boring, out of context, and a mechanically flawed experience designed to put you straight into the action before the game throws you into the rest of the shitshow opening. the whole opening is a non interactive shitshow for the telltale generation who put too much value on the story and characterization in a game. you idiots probably like it...

That's where I stopped reading. Surprised I read that much.

Eh,
I thought he was in it plenty. Lots more than UC2. Certainly not as much as UC3 but UC3 was very much about Drake's relationship with Sully. I was happy that they put the focus back on Elena after how little she was in 3. Further, I liked how Sully was used. Even when he was offscreen in the second half he was still in the story unlike how he left in UC2 or Chloe and Cutter left in UC3.

This sentiment seems weird to me since the jeep chase is a gigantic setpiece that is on the level with the plane and train. Especially the plane since, while visually spectacular, it was quite short.

Sometimes I think ND made a mistake in showing that stuff at E3. I think more than a few people would have had a better reaction to the game if that chase had been kept under wraps.

Anung

Un Rama
Which gun are you using? Can you switch to an RPG or anything like that? Yeah the armoured enemies are real bastards, even on normal!

The magnum for one shotting regular enemies and a machine gun for spray and pray. The rocket launcher and grenade launcher take too long to reload and aren't accurate enough plus slash damage.

the game looks nice.
that is all.

the game starts in an action sequence as you play as nathan shooting some cunts on a boat with his brother. the sequence is boring, out of context, and a mechanically flawed experience designed to put you straight into the action before the game throws you into the rest of the shitshow opening. the whole opening is a non interactive shitshow for the telltale generation who put too much value on the story and characterization in a game. you idiots probably like it. especially that noel edmonds cunt. the first 4 hours of the game is literally a movie. i don't even want to call it an interactive movie because you have no control over anything. the only time you control nathan is to perform ridiculously mundane tasks such as walking over to a door and mashing a button to open it.

the first real action sequence starts about 4 hours in. this is when you start to regret asking for a action sequence and want the game to turn back into a movie about a man performing mundane tasks. you quickly realise that not only has the combat not been fixed, but it is actually worse than in previous games. the shooting mechanics and the cover system are completely broken and the enemies are still bullet sponges. they have been talking about the fucking grapple hook like it actually changes combat. it does not change the combat experience and that is because you can pretty much only use it in scripted events. the grappling hook does not change platforming either because again, scripted events only. you cannot just grapple around freely like a good game would allow you to. the combat is not organic as previews suggested. nathan is the elephant man so stealth is not an option. and why no sprint button? idiots.

the whole structure and pacing of the game is fucked and rinse and repeat. they have made the game much more open compared to previous games, but it does not work because naughty dog are complete and utter cunts. the previous games worked well because they used to flow perfectly. there was no pacing issues in those games at all. you would start at one end and walk through until you reached the other end. inbetween that, you would get great set pieces and combat sequences. there is absolutely nothing wrong with a linear game. stop pretending that something being linear is valid criticism.

this game is different. this game goes something like this:

go to place and wonder around aimlessly for 5 minutes. eventually find where you need to be and get told that the door/gate is blocked. you look around the walls for the highlighted rocks for you to climb on. you find a crate to push over to the highlighted rocks and jump on the highlighted rocks. you climb on them and press L1 to grapple on a conveniently placed bracket and find a different way in. sometimes there are no highlighted rocks at all. in that situation, sam usually points out a broken ladder that he needs boosting up to. once he is boosted up, he pushes down a crate that you can use to climb up to the broken ladder. i am not lying when i say that this is literally over 50% of the gameplay in this game. it is in EVERY chapter i have played after the first 4.

after you have done that nonsense, there is usually a simple, mundane puzzle to solve. it usually involves moving some symbols around until they fall into place. the annoying thing is that most puzzles involve doing the same thing about 3 times. you move the symbols into the correct position and then another tier opens up

when you eventually solve that puzzle trash, rafe phones you up to tell you he was outside wanking in a bush all along, has overheard everything and is now coming to beat you up with his sexy mercenary girlfriend. you are then forced into combat before the chapter ends.

i said i would not be talking about the story, but it is hard to ignore that nathan literally left his wife to go on a mass murdering spree. i can ignore that nonsense. many people cannot ignore that and find it hard to take the story seriously.

i have not played the multiplayer because i have not got a dick growing out of my head.

that is uncharted 4.

DO NOT BUY

FUCK UNCHARTED 4

#REVIEWINPROGRESS
#RARE
#EXCLUSIVE
#BUYRATCHERANDCLANKINSTEAD

Is this a joke post

Top Bottom