• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Shin-chan

How did they destroy her livelihood? She was only in it for the money/treasure so she can rebuild Shoreline. She got millions in treasure, she can rebuild. I don't see the point in bringing her back. She got what she wanted a left.
To add to this, she already makes it abundantly clear that she doesn't give a shit about the Drake brothers in the cutscene before they enter the ship. This story as a DLC would be pretty lame and I can't see how it would do anything interesting for Nate as a character either.

If the DLC does have to tie directly into the story I'd think an episode around Nate, Sam and Rafe prior to the prison at the start of the game could work. It could help develop Rafe as a character.

silva1991

I'm hoping the DLC is post-game (massive endgame spoilers)
but pre-epilogue. I can't imagine Nadine would be happy to learn that the Drake brothers survived Libertalia, and she doesn't seem the type to not pursue the men who destroyed her livelihood.

As long as
Chloe
is there, I'll be fine.

I think 3/4 of the forum would hate my preferred DLC:

Major Ending Spoilers

I would love to play through a dig or adventure with D&F Fortune Company with the entire Drake family present. No combat needed.

Mirrintu

Neo Member
Did you play uc2 when it came out or just now? You're comparing a nearly 10 year old game on a previous gen console to a current gen beast. Context matters.

It sounds like he hasn't played the 4th one, so is likely just comparing it to the first one. On that note I have to agree, Uncharted 2 is certainly a great game (and one of my favourites), but it is not a big enough improvement on the first one to warrant the worshipping it receives.

Just looking at some of the ratings people have been giving the games on this thread. Though some have a realistic take on it you have people rating Uncharted 4/10 and then rating Uncharted 2 9/10 or even 10/10. There is obviously something strange there as people are not being objective, so maybe its nostalgia, I don't know.

Did you play uc2 when it came out or just now? You're comparing a nearly 10 year old game on a previous gen console to a current gen beast. Context matters.

You are absolutely correct: I was an avid (obsessed gamer) until the age of 25, but I took an 8 years break and only got back recently into this world. But your point prompts another question, however; aren't those people who favor Uncharted 2 over the 4 -and the TLOU for some of them, which I find mind boggling...but to each his their own!- caught in a web of nostalgia?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
You are absolutely correct: I was an avid (obsessed gamer) until the age of 25, but I took an 8 years break and only got back recently into this world. But your point prompts another question, however; aren't those people who favor Uncharted 2 over the 4 -and the TLOU for some of them, which I find mind boggling...but to each his their own!- caught in a web of nostalgia?

No because yes for now the mechanics feel dated or not as great, which is completely true, but as a first experience it blew everything away.

So while the mechanics, visuals, etc are definitely superior in 4, the pacing, the set pieces, the whole package is just a tighter experience.

Uncharted 2 is sufficiently different in terms of design focus that it's easy to see why some would have personal preference for either.

SDR-UK

I'm inclined to believe the DLC will be set in
Malaysia
for that job that Nate kept turning down, have a feeling that things will not go that smoothly there.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm inclined to believe the DLC will be set in
Malaysia
for that job that Nate kept turning down, have a feeling that things will not go that smoothly there.

Yeah they have to do this. When I finished the game, all I kept thinking was
'now where the hell is my Malaysia job? It would be perfect for dlc.

geordiemp

Just finished, what an emotional ride.

Still finding it hard to understand how big that game was, 17 hours and I just cant imagine how big and varied the maps were, it was just nuts.

I did take my time, savouring like a fine wine. Preferred the combat of TLOU, but the exploration and sense of discovery in UC4 was amazing.

In previous games you had a good feel where the map started and finished to the next bit, this game I had no idea areas were so big. I dont think I could have the patience to find all the treasures...

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
That scene with Nate sitting amidst treasure in the burning environment from the trailers, commercials and the dynamic theme
doesn't actually appear in game, does it?

I think
Sam and Sully
are the most likely candidates for DLC.
I'd love something with Elena - I absolutely fell in love with her in this game.

Man, I'm glad I didn't watch the chace sequence beforehand, I actually said holy shit out loud several times lol.
And the level right after that reminded me of Witcher 3 when I was
exploring the small islands in Skellige.
It's so beautiful.

This game is so incredibly ambitious, the scope so much bigger than previous games.

I need more Elena though, Emily did such a great job with the few scenes she's had until now.

Ho boy. Game is just a non stop feast on the eyes. Just when you thought you'd seen the most stunning environments, another pops in just around the corner.

Enough to make your eyes bleed some of it. Truly outstanding work. Lighting is gorgeous at times.

I just can't take enough snaps. Must have a good 400 so far :D

Same it seems like they changed her fate.

Kinda don't buy it the way it's introduced.

Not likely considering the first mention of the game is
that Nate was being teased that his mother was in hell. That's the type of thing someone would say at a Catholic school about suicide, not dying from an illness.

Ho boy. Game is just a non stop feast on the eyes. Just when you thought you'd seen the most stunning environments, another pops in just around the corner.

Enough to make your eyes bleed some of it. Truly outstanding work. Lighting is gorgeous at times.

I just can't take enough snaps. Must have a good 400 so far :D

I went to copy my uncharted snaps onto my PC earlier. I had taken 1400 screenshots in one playthrough. Couldn't believe it was that many haha. Took literally about 45 minutes to copy to usb lol.

I'd be up for it. lol

It's a tough sell though.

I want the DLC to be the cut set-piece that Troy Baker mentioned. He said it was his favorite one in the entire game, so that makes me really hyped to see what it is! Also, the reason it was cut is because it didn't really fit within the narrative. That's the perfect reason it could be DLC!

Really wasn't a fan of the
epilogue for the same reason I didn't like that shit in Harry Potter. I don't want to see their absurdly perfect lives with their children who follow in their footsteps, it feels like fan-fiction. There's a reason most stories don't show the "happily ever after", some things are better left to the imagination.
so yeah, that DLC idea would be more saccharine nonesense than I could take

Philippo

Ch.15 was perfection. It had exploration, character interaction, climbing, edge-on-the-seat setpiece and a plot twist i did not expect at all.

The next one was amazing as well, so many little details and optional stuff, and the plot details were amazing.

epilogue for the same reason I didn't like that shit in Harry Potter. I don't want to see their absurdly perfect lives with their children who follow in their footsteps, it feels like fan-fiction. There's a reason most stories don't show the "happily ever after", some things are better left to the imagination.

It's uncharted, with U4 being the darkest of the entire lot, It wouldn't feel right any other way in my opinion.

i liked the ending quite a bit. and hey at least
they didn't go the lengths of JK Rowling and name their daughter Sam Sullina Chloe Drake or some shit lmao

that dlc idea is terrible though. the epilogue is a fine enough ending as it is.

Alright boyz, which game had the better
ship graveyard
arena, 3 or 4? I thought both were combat highlights of their respective games. I might give the edge to 3's still because it offered so much freedom and I loved the bobbing platforms, but I've played that one a lot more obviously.

Oh my god at that
pirate ship wreck
at the start of chapter 12. Insanely beautiful. That's the second time now that I've been in genuine awe over this game's visuals, the last time being the shot I posted earlier. And even though I knew it was there from trailers and GIFs I'd seen beforehand, it still took me by surprise me when I saw it.

ship graveyard
arena, 3 or 4? I thought both were combat highlights of their respective games. I might give the edge to 3's still because it offered so much freedom and I loved the bobbing platforms, but I've played that one a lot more obviously.

Art -> UC3
Level design -> UC3
Gameplay/Combat/Direction -> UC4
Spectacularity -> UC4

Edit: Edge to UC4 because killer music.

ship graveyard

4 unquestionably and I loved 3's. But 4 is just as good, if not better in terms of level design, and has the superior combat mechanics attached and an amazing combat theme going. Gravy on the top is that the emotional stakes are actually real this time instead of Drake trying to rescue a dummy.

silva1991

ship graveyard

4 easily in terms of level design

it's a shame the combat encounter was top tier garbage.

I hated how it looked like in 3.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
ship graveyard

shit that's tough

4's is generally better designed and has vastly superior controls so i'll probably go with that

KupoNut

Absolutely loved the game. Really hope there's some DLC for it, I don't want this to end. The amount of polish that went into this game is just... well.. uncharted.

Story was predictable but I still loved it, gameplay was well balanced too never become too much in anything. The graphics were off the charts and raise the bar for other developers.

On the story, not sure what's considered a spoiler so I'll just wrap everything

I would've loved more cameo characters from previous Uncharted games in the main story, not the multiplayer.

I originally thought Rafe was Harry Flynn from Uncharted 2 and the old lady during the flashback sequence was Katherine Marlowe from Uncharted 3. My brain was sort of expected to see an old character surprise return, but that didn't happen.

I want the DLC to be the cut set-piece that Troy Baker mentioned. He said it was his favorite one in the entire game, so that makes me really hyped to see what it is! Also, the reason it was cut is because it didn't really fit within the narrative. That's the perfect reason it could be DLC!

Something tells me we'll never see that set-piece. We might hear what it was, but I doubt we'll ever play it ourselves.

Makes you wonder what it was though. I can't think of a segment which feels like it's missing something either.

I think finality is the driving force behind the epilogue. Neil said the ending would make it difficult to bring Nate back in the future and for me, the ending falls short of making it totally impossible.

After three games of throwaway endings (though there's progression of course), it was great to finally see them put a bow on Nate and Elena's adventures.

I've seen some people mention the possibility of continuing with Cassie, but what's the end game? She realises her parents fought like hell to get out of that life and calls it quits herself?

You could say she's got a lust for adventure like both her parents and despite their best efforts, Cassie was drawn to the thrill as they were.

But again, it all ends the same.

Absolutely loved the game. Really hope there's some DLC for it, I don't want this to end. The amount of polish that went into this game is just... well.. uncharted.

Not to worry, single player DLC is confirmed.
I've seen some people mention the possibility of continuing with Cassie, but what's the end game? She realises her parents fought like hell to get out of that life and calls it quits herself?

Ending spoilers

I can never imagine them doing a Cassie focused series because it throws the series about 20 years into the future. Too much incidental design work is needed at that point and I think anything overly futuristic potentially clashes with the focus on history that the series has.

The DLC should be
set during Averys time. Maybe play as a pirate serving under Avery himself or maybe even a colonist. Nathan and family's story is done. Whatever the DLC is, we won't be playing as Nathan. I'm not even sure if we'll play as anyone in the Drake family. Setting the DLC during a booming Libertalia would be incredible.

The DLC should be
set during Averys time. Maybe play as a pirate serving under Avery himself or maybe even a colonist. Nathan and family's story is done. Whatever the DLC is, we won't be playing as Nathan. I'm not even sure if we'll play as anyone in the Drake family. Setting the DLC during a booming Libertalia would be incredible.

I bet spanish doubloons
that it's Sam and Sully's job (with Chloe's involvement hopefully).

4 unquestionably and I loved 3's. But 4 is just as good, if not better in terms of level design, and has the superior combat mechanics attached and an amazing combat theme going. Gravy on the top is that the emotional stakes are actually real this time instead of Drake trying to rescue a dummy.

Yeah that's a good point. In 4 I was like "fuck yes let's do this" whereas in 3 after you know it's just a big wank off its like "I'm just gonna enjoy this on a purely mechanical level".
Obviously 4 has the better combat mechanics and rope making that area so good, but I'm undecided if the arena itself is better or not.

The DLC should be

Eh, I wouldn't be so quick to assume that
we won't be playing as Nate. They could very much go the prequel route with the DLC. They already have the early 20s Drake model from the prison section.

Yeah that's a good point. In 4 I was like "fuck yes let's do this" whereas in 3 after you know it's just a big wank off its like "I'm just gonna enjoy this on a purely mechanical level".
Obviously 4 has the better combat mechanics and rope making that area so good, but I'm undecided if the arena itself is better or not.

Another thing potentially in 4's favor- you can actually break LOS and re-enter stealth. I got so frustrated at times in 3 in that section because I would go out of my way to disappear to the other end of the section and enemies would still home in on me immediately. Defeated the purpose of a lot of the layout.

VanWinkle

Welp, finished the game. Unbelievable experience. I'm so happy to have experienced it. And what a wonderful way to end the series, too.

ship graveyard

That's tough. I think I'd go with 4's overall due to the improvement in mechanics, rope and the score, but I do agree that 3's offered more freedom.

4's looked better artwise as well.

Top Bottom