• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
you idiots probably like it. especially that noel edmonds cunt.

You sound like you've had a drink but seriously l do like his show and so would you if you won £100K.

and why no sprint button? idiots.

Yeah l wondered that too, probably would not have been called walking simulator if you could run.

the game much more open compared to previous games, but it does not work because

Well it does work because you end up back in a narrow funnel where it's linear again.

when you eventually solve that puzzle trash, rafe phones you up to tell you he was outside wanking in a bush all along, has overheard everything and is now coming to beat you up with his sexy mercenary girlfriend. you are then forced into combat before the chapter ends.

U3 was the worst in particular them damn darts popping out of no where.

i have not played the multiplayer because i have not got a dick growing out of my head.

Yeah not a fan of multiplayer but power to the people that like it.

Finished last night. It's an excellent game and the environments are the best I've ever seen in any game on console or pc. I still think tlou is a much better game though (it's the goat). Uc2 is probably better too.

Mp is ok but it sucks coop is delayed to fall. Hopefully people will still be interested then.

Ok so I'm at chapter 12 and I'm getting a bit frustrated that the game doesn't seem to let me want to play it for more than a few minutes at a time. There has thus far been too much climbing and walking around places and the combat encounters feel very brief in comparison. It's sort of the opposite to the problem I was having in UC3 where some of the encounters dragged too long and they would just force you to get spotted from time to time when sneaking. And UC1's wave encounters were pretty dreadful too. But it's like it's ashamed to stop and do one thing for too long and needs to jerk it around to something else just when I'm starting to get into it.

I think the recent set-piece encounter in
the city in Madagascar (I think?)
was heavy on action, but it was also quite gimmicky and I didn't like it very much, felt extremely reminiscent of the convoy raid in UC3.

P.S. does anybody actually enjoy fighting those armoured assholes that have been in these games? They're possibly the worst part about the shooter gameplay and have always been.

BumRush

Upon finishing, I'd rank it 4>2>3>1 with 4 winning on story / exploration. Overall, it was an amazing experience and I can't wait to see what ND has next.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I appreciate that whereas previous Uncharted games had kinda weak third acts, 4's is probably the best stretch of the game.

I disagree. I preferred the location-hopping first two acts to the stuck-on-an-island third. Felt the same about 2 and 3. The early parts felt more propulsive and adventure-like. The third act felt like a long journey through very similar locations while suffering countless setbacks. It was like the overly long Scotland cave venture but even longer. It probably didn't help that I went in hard trying to find treasures though. No guide, and I got maybe 75% of them.

Keihart

Ok so I'm at chapter 12 and I'm getting a bit frustrated that the game doesn't seem to let me want to play it for more than a few minutes at a time. There has thus far been too much climbing and walking around places and the combat encounters feel very brief in comparison. It's sort of the opposite to the problem I was having in UC3 where some of the encounters dragged too long and they would just force you to get spotted from time to time when sneaking. And UC1's wave encounters were pretty dreadful too. But it's like it's ashamed to stop and do one thing for too long and needs to jerk it around to something else just when I'm starting to get into it.

I think the recent set-piece encounter in
the city in Madagascar (I think?)
was heavy on action, but it was also quite gimmicky and I didn't like it very much, felt extremely reminiscent of the convoy raid in UC3.

P.S. does anybody actually enjoy fighting those armoured assholes that have been in these games? They're possibly the worst part about the shooter gameplay and have always been.

1 headshot for the helmet and then blind fire to the head seems to work, i think they are meant to presure you because you can't really rush them.

There is a new animation to take those helmets off if you happen to catch them on stealth now, that is kinda cool. Blind firing in their general direction from cover seems to work too. Blind fire and run and gun has always been pretty powerful on uncharted, some people just ads too much sometimes.

3's third act is...weird. It has some really exciting stuff (plane, settlement fight, convoy) but it just doesn't feel like it properly escalates. I do think the sandstorm was just a total dud of a level and should have been cut.

had huge issues with Uncharted3's final act. ... as posted earlier. suddenly. you're at the lost city. and a little bit of stuff happens and then it all collapses. That's why 4's
journey through libertaria and then getting to the ship is so so sooooo much better
its a real journey

If they retroactively did a directors cut of UC3 and added in more lost city exploration, the game would be so much better.

I disagree. I preferred the location-hopping first two acts to the stuck-on-an-island third. Felt the same about 2 and 3. The early parts felt more propulsive and adventure-like. The third act felt like a long journey through very similar locations while suffering countless setbacks. It was like the overly long Scotland cave venture but even longer. It probably didn't help that I went in hard trying to find treasures though. No guide, and I got maybe 75% of them.

one of my least favourite parts of 4 is the treasures and how running around in circles in the large environments, at once a blessing and a curse. If you're doing that, you're really going to get annoyed with the open exploration bits to this game. I didn't do them. Just went for story, will do treasure later.

elcapitan

What I appreciate most about the last act is that it's the perfect blend of cinematic and environmental storytelling. Uncovering the past was as compelling as Nate's own adventure. 4 has the best treasure hunting story for sure.

I-hate-u

Wow, my appreciation for the story just went up a several notches. Excellent written piece.
Everything in the game, from the big conversations to the minute details in the animation, is there for the purpose to set up a wonderful conclusion to the series, and reflect on the growth of Nate through the juxtaposition of a second Drake. But more than anything, this game hallmarks the evolution of Naughty Dog, and makes it clear that Uncharted 4 is the last of the franchise from them, and why they need to move on.

This game is too freaking meta. Kojima, eat your heart out.

Just beat chapter 18 on crushing.
The shootout at the end of Avery's mansion was probably the toughest fight I've experienced in the series.

I'm loving the game so far, but I really regret starting on crushing. I feel like I would be enjoying it a lot more if I had started on Normal or even Hard.

Yup, fuck them. Really soured the combat for me. They kill you almost instantly too.

They are absolutely terrible on crushing. One is going towards you with a mini gun, constantly shooting. I peek from cover and get littered with bullets. My aim is constantly flinching all over the place due to getting shot from everywhere when I aim. I can't steadily aim for his head at all. Can't hit it 2x at all. I am left with no choice but to throw multiple grenades under his foot.

nib95

Banned
Without the armored dudes the game would just be too easy, offering too little tension and too much in the way of ease of kills. The armoured dudes put on far more pressure, and force a slight mix up in both consideration, strategy and approach. Hell even with the armoured dudes it's still not really challenging enough, at least outside of just a handful of encounters anyway, even on crushing.

Aenima

When playing on crushing at the
the end boss fight
, can you use the
Slow motion bonus
and still unlock the trophy?

Yes. Using the in game cheats dont block trophies. I finished Crushing using infinite ammo and the option to choose what weapon to use, it made the things more easy than on Hard without any cheats :p

The shootout at the end of Avery's mansion was probably the toughest fight I've experienced in the series.

I'm loving the game so far, but I really regret starting on crushing. I feel like I would be enjoying it a lot more if I had started on Normal or even Hard.

What did you expect, honestly?

lol

who plays it on crushing on the first go.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?

what the hell

of course you would

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
"ooh, now would be a good time to go through the whole series again on hard," i thought

*plays two hours of UC1*

nah i'm good

I don't think ND ever really capitalized on what Uncharted combat could be due to their insistence on including brute enemies like this (going so far as to design major action beats around dealing with them). I said back in the HD Collection thread that I thought difficulty increasing to Crushing, then the addition of Brutal, was completely the wrong way to go about these games. I think the higher you go in difficulty (both through the course of the campaign and with higher difficulty modes), the more AGILE and DYNAMIC the combat should become. Instead of featuring spongier enemies and lower HP, "Crushing" should be changed to "Frantic" and feature a higher enemy count of guys who move like Nate and take advantage of the environment. Of course you'll always have the odd sniper and slower armored foe, but the most fun enemies to interact with have always been the more mobile ones. I wish they would've doubled down on those guys.

And I'm really surprised that there was no encounter in UC4 that started with a linear hand-to-hand brawl, and opened up to pistols, then long guns, then a wider arena featuring everything all seamlessly. I guess Chapter 7 kinda, sort of did that, but it's cut short and doesn't really feel big enough. Even though combat mechanics are at their best in UC4, I don't think they did anything special with them, unfortunately. Except for the
elevator encounter
which is the only one in the game that truly feels fresh.

psychotron

Without the armored dudes the game would just be too easy, offering too little tension and too much in the way of ease of kills. The armoured dudes put on far more pressure, and force a slight mix up in both consideration, strategy and approach. Hell even with the armoured dudes it's still not really challenging enough, at least outside of just a handful of encounters anyway, even on crushing.

Idk, I had some really frustrating encounters in this game. Some fights have you getting shot all at once by enemies with perfect aim, while those armored guys close in. I've tried the Quantum Break keep moving approach, but was peppered with bullets. If you stay behind cover grenades are dumped next to you almost fully cooked. Even Uncharted 3 didn't piss me off this much and I beat that on Crushing.

I don't think ND ever really capitalized on what Uncharted combat could be due to their insistence on including brute enemies like this (going so far as to design major action beats around dealing with them). I said back in the HD Collection thread that I thought difficulty increasing to Crushing, then the addition of Brutal, was completely the wrong way to go about these games. I think the higher you go in difficulty (both through the course of the campaign and with higher difficulty modes), the more AGILE and DYNAMIC the combat should become. Instead of featuring spongier enemies and lower HP, "Crushing" should be changed to "Frantic" and feature a higher enemy count of guys who move like Nate and take advantage of the environment. Of course you'll always have the odd sniper and slower armored foe, but the most fun enemies to interact with have always been the more mobile ones. I wish they would've doubled down on those guys.

Totally agree with all of this.

That being said I found the armored guys signficantly less annoying and easier to deal with in UC4 than UC3.

Idk, I had some really frustrating encounters in this game. Some fights have you getting shot all at once by enemies with perfect aim, while those armored guys close in. I've tried the Quantum Break keep moving approach, but was peppered with bullets. If you stay behind cover grenades are dumped next to you almost fully cooked. Even Uncharted 3 didn't piss me off this much and I beat that on Crushing.

Crushing in UC3 wasn't really too hard. The same tactics used in Normal difficulty will get you through crushing just fine. Same applied to UC2 outside of the god awful final boss battle.

However, I think you really need to open with stealth in UC4 to make the harder difficulties viable. Getting surrounded pretty much means instant death. The arenas are so large that if you open with shooting you are almost guaranteed to have multiple enemies flanking you within the seconds. So the best tact is stealthily take down at least one quadrant or side of enemies before going loud. At that point it becomes more manageable since you shouldn't have to worry about enemies behind you.

psychotron

Maybe on my next playthrough it'll click a bit better, but I was getting absolutely pummeled with bullets on some encounters. I beat the game but never felt the combat clicked perfectly, and I loved every game in this series.

Libertalia wore out its welcome for me long before the end too. Beautiful area, but we spent too much time there(12-21 are all big jungle-like areas aside from 16 and 20). I pushed on for the story, but after a while the art stopped impressing me.(ship graveyard is an exception to this)

The Chapter 21 area definitely should've been more visually unique. Total bore, that chapter was. Chapter 19 had some design issues, but chapter 17, 18 & 20 are top tier chapters in the game and the Rafe boss fight in 22 is decent.

Aside from that I found that the armored guys go down much quicker in UC4.

That also comes down to UC3 have bad combat design. :p

The tricky part of a shooter like UC is that the better the mechanics get and the stronger the gunplay, the easier the game can become. Directors/combat designers, in turn, have to work even harder at making combat feel creative and fun, while also providing a suitable challenge without falling into cheap tactics to increase difficulty. ND is just hitting their stride mechanically, which is why it frustrates me that they didn't push combat as hard with UC4. THIS is the game where all of that crazy stuff from UC3 (large scale ship graveyard chaos, sandstorm shootout, hand to hand brawls, shootout in a burning/collapsing Chateau, shootout on and in a capsizing ship, the airport stuff, etc.) would've worked, but we never get anything really over the top.

What wasn't there to like about roll and grab being on the same button though.

A+ game design, would get pulled into melee brawl again.

cb1115

That also comes down to UC3 have bad combat design. :p

The tricky part of a shooter like UC is that the better the mechanics get and the stronger the gunplay, the easier the game can become. Directors/combat designers, in turn, have to work even harder at making combat feel creative and fun, while also providing a suitable challenge without falling into cheap tactics to increase difficulty. ND is just hitting their stride mechanically, which is why it frustrates me that they didn't push combat as hard with UC4. THIS is the game where all of that crazy stuff from UC3 (large scale ship graveyard chaos, sandstorm shootout, hand to hand brawls, shootout in a burning/collapsing Chateau, shootout in a capsizing ship, the airport stuff, etc.) would've worked, but we never get anything really over the top.

damn way to bum me out breh

i mean i love what we got but UC3 with UC4's combat sounds dope as hell goddamn

Man, I plowed through the Drake collection this week and now 4 in the past 10 minutes. I'm in awe with everything right now.

I want Prequels. I want UC5. I want spin-offs. I want UC6: The Merchandizing. I don't want closure :(

damn way to bum me out breh

i mean i love what we got but UC3 with UC4's combat sounds dope as hell goddamn

UC4 has its own strengths. All the wider arenas where you start in stealth are fun. It's like 7 new takes on the snowstorm from UC2 spread throughout chapters 8-18. For my tastes, though, that wasn't enough.

"ooh, now would be a good time to go through the whole series again on hard," i thought

*plays two hours of UC1*

nah i'm good
Man. Not only is Drake's Fortune hard to go back to in terms of the feel of shooting, the environments, but it's also just weird how the game is constantly sending Drake off on his own now that the series has evolved to have the characters together constantly. And then the game also feels cramped and ends super quickly in the second half. Stealth is also pretty much non-existent... they're incredibly different games.

And I'm really surprised that there was no encounter in UC4 that started with a linear hand-to-hand brawl, and opened up to pistols, then long guns, then a wider arena featuring everything all seamlessly. I guess Chapter 7 kinda, sort of did that, but it's cut short and doesn't really feel big enough. Even though combat mechanics are at their best in UC4, I don't think they did anything special with them, unfortunately. Except for the
elevator encounter
which is the only one in the game that truly feels fresh.

As much as I like the open arenas, the game was definitely lacking those designed encounters with their own flavor to them like the
elevator.
Well designed encounters like that are a big part of what made Uncharted 2 so memorable.

cb1115

UC4 has its own strengths. All the wider arenas where you start in stealth are fun. It's like 7 new takes on the snowstorm from UC2 spread throughout chapters 8-18. For my tastes, though, that wasn't enough.

i didn't mind the decreased emphasis on combat but yeah i see where you're coming from. and if there were more encounters in there i wouldn't have had a problem with it.

it's actually kinda perplexing that they improved the stealth and shooting so much only to rely on it significantly less

Top Bottom