• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Ratrat

I guess I missed the gold part. That sours me a bit on my positive interpretation.

I guess it just follows the trend of me thinking Uncharted 4 improved on something from the other three games yet it still gets more shit from people than I've heard for the first three. Well, I guess people don't really like Lazaravich...
Its to her credit that people wanted more. No one cares about the goons in previous games.

She -imo- had a full arc. A complete full arc. She is not the kind of brainless idiot villain who is going to risk losing when she is ahead.

She gets revenge on Rafe for trying to fuck her up, and leaves with her pockets full of gold. I'd call that mission accomplished on her part. Story wise her decisions and actions make perfect sense and I am glad ND did not let gameplay reasons ruin this great character. She was original.
It was pretty dumb of her to throw Drake out a window, especially when he nearly single-handedly takes out her whole army. Partnering with such an unhinged creep too. And thats not an arc. She's just a merc who does the obvious thing, which is pretty much the only thing she could have done.

valkyre

Its to her credit that people wanted more. No one cares about the goons in previous games.

It was pretty dumb of her to throw Drake out a window, especially when he nearly single-handedly takes out her whole army. Partnering with such an unhinged creep too. And thats not an arc. She's just a merc who does the obvious thing, which is pretty much the only thing she could have done.

I dont get why it was "dumb" to throw Drake out of a window. Also I dont get why it was dumb of her to partner with Rafe... she didnt do it for free, she was hired, as such she was paid a lot of money to provide her service. Yes she is a merc, and for a merc that is on a mission to get a shit ton of gold in treasure she succeeded. Dont forget that like the game suggests her father left her in debt and her merc business in shambles. By going away with the treasure she basically wins. Also the game heavily hints at her leaving the merc business for good now (what with all the double crossing)

I disagree.
Nadine's the first villain to throw her hands in the air and say "y'all are crazy. I don't care about this bullshit and I'm out. Peace." In the beginning she was confident in her partnership with Rafe and was happy to be along for the ride. At the end, she literally just leaves without any hopes for revenge or treasure. She is thusly the only villain across all of the games to live.
That is more thematically relevant and interesting than literally every other villain in Uncharted IMO.

I completely agree with you.i loved how she was the sane one telling
drake and rafe you r crazy and your obsession will kill you like the two pirates and left with small treasure

she is the best uncharted villain by far and one of the best villains in gaming period.

Ratrat

I dont get why it was "dumb" to throw Drake out of a window. Also I dont get why it was dumb of her to partner with Rafe... she didnt do it for free, she was hired, as such she was paid a lot of money to provide her service. Yes she is a merc, and for a merc that is on a mission to get a shit ton of gold in treasure she succeeded. Dont forget that like the game suggests her father left her in debt and her merc business in shambles. By going away with the treasure she basically wins. Also the game heavily hints at her leaving the merc business for good now (what with all the double crossing)
Because she should have kept him for questioning or actually killed him/made sure he was dead. They even make that mistake twice! And if all it took was a slap in the face and not like...all her men dying, to turn on Rafe for compromising the mission so much, than she has odd priorities. Is she really hired? I thought they were partners who presumably were going to split the treasure.

I must have missed all the stuff about what she does afterwards. Only played through it once.

Shahadan

I have not finished the game yet because lost pirate treasure is way more boring to me than mystical lost cities, but I have to say, what's the fucking point of having puzzles if you're going to basically tell me exactly what to do before I even do shit.

I really hate that.

Also it's a bit too obvious than Sam is just there to be cute (it doesn't work) and die at the end, might as well have been a dog. I hope it's a red herring but even if it is it just doesn't feel natural to me.

valkyre

Because she should have kept him for questioning or actually killed him/made sure he was dead. They even make that mistake twice! And if all it took was a slap in the face and not like...all her men dying, to turn on Rafe for compromising the mission so much, than she has odd priorities. Is she really hired? I thought they were partners who presumably were going to split the treasure.

I must have missed all the stuff about what she does afterwards. Only played through it once.

but that is what she tried to do by kicking him out of the window... kill him.

Question him for what? She doesnt need 2 Drakes, she even tells Rafe after they ambush them, to one way or another end it, or she will.

I have not finished the game yet because lost pirate treasure is way more boring to me than mystical lost cities, but I have to say, what's the fucking point of having puzzles if you're going to basically tell me exactly what to do before I even do shit.

I really hate that.

Also it's a bit too obvious than Sam is just there to be cute (it doesn't work) and die at the end, might as well have been a dog. I hope it's a red herring but even if it is it just doesn't feel natural to me.

Maybe you should finish the game first.

Ratrat

but that is what she tried to do by kicking him out of the window... kill him.

Question him for what? She doesnt need 2 Drakes, she even tells Rafe after they ambush them, to one way or another end it, or she will.
Throwing a grown man out of a window is an unsure and demanding way of killing someone. Anyway, you don't think Drake knows where Sam and Sully are or that he'd be useful as a hostage to keep them off?

As for the second time, that was also dumb that she didn't send anyone to make sure he was dead.

Anyway, these are very minor complaints.

valkyre

Throwing a grown man out of a window is an unsure and demanding way of killing someone. Anyway, you don't think Drake knows where Sam and Sully are or that he'd be useful as a hostage to keep them off?

As for the second time, that was also dumb that she didn't send anyone to make sure he was dead.

Anyway, these are very minor complaints.

Agreed that they are minor complaints yet its fun to debate. Again though, respectfully, I will disagree with this particular argument of yours.

Based on the fight at that particular moment (bare handed) throwing Nate out of the window was the most likely option to kill Nate. What better option was there for her at that moment?

Also, they did send dudes searching for Nate, Elena moved him. Its the guys that you encounter after joining Elena in order to get the jeep. One conversation between enemies in there mentions to keep their eyes out for Nate.

It's not about the difficulty per se. It's about having fun with the new mechanics. You can play hard straight like the other games in that you're making sure to take cover and pick off enemies as you peek out, but you're going to be doing a lot less swinging and vertical takedowns than you may want to.

oh that's true, certainly can't use the slide/swing mechanics at all or youre dead :D I'm planning on replaying many combat encounters on the easiest mode just to have fun and unlock the combo trophies later on.

Ratrat

Agreed that they are minor complaints yet its fun to debate. Again though, respectfully, I will disagree with this particular argument of yours.

Based on the fight at that particular moment (bare handed) throwing Nate out of the window was the most likely option to kill Nate. What better option was there for her at that moment?

Also, they did send dudes searching for Nate, Elena moved him. Its the guys that you encounter after joining Elena in order to get the jeep. One conversation between enemies in there mentions to keep their eyes out for Nate.
Breaking his neck, stabbing him with glass. Though I think she should have knocked him out and brought him to Rafe.

As for the second time, he literally falls straight into a river without even getting shot. She should have had her men on him immediately. Somehow the unconcious Nate washes up and is found by Elena first and dragged to safety without getting noticed...

But thats more on convenient writing than characters I guess.

valkyre

Breaking his neck, stabbing him with glass. Though I think she should have knocked him out and brought him to Rafe.

As for the second time, he literally falls straight into a river without even getting shot. She should have had her men on him immediately. Somehow the unconcious Nate washes up and is found by Elena first and dragged to safety without getting noticed...

But thats more on convenient writing than characters I guess.

she is fighting 2 male and quite capable guys simultaneously, you think it was so easy and convenient for her to just decide to simply break his neck or find a glass to stab him?! The action was hectic and throwing him out the window like 500 meters above ground was pretty much the best she could do.

Ratrat

she is fighting 2 male and quite capable guys simultaneously, you think it was so easy and convenient for her to just decide to simply break his neck or find a glass to stab him?! The action was hectic and throwing him out the window like 500 meters above ground was pretty much the best she could do.
Sorry, I think we are repeatedly talking about different fights. I've been mainly referring to the one at the auction house for the past few posts. Her not being thorough after the second fight is a different matter.

valkyre

Sorry, I think we are repeatedly talking about different fights. I've been mainly referring to the one at the auction house for the past few posts. Her not being thorough after the second fight is a different matter.

oh lol :D ok, so we are talking about the auction house. Why kill him there in the first place though? Its not like Nate has done much to anyone up to that point, she cant even be sure he is involved in the heist. Even so though, throwing him out the window was again a pretty fine decision if you ask me. Also it was a great introduction to the true "Nadine", kicking your ass royally. Damn loved that scene :D

cackhyena

I really hate that.

It doesn't feel natural to you? Wow.

I will probably receive hate for my post, but this is the Uncharted I liked less (well, after Golden Abyss).
I loved 1 and 2, I liked 3 a lot too but not loved it because there were a lot of plot holes and doubtful things in the plot. Still, it was a very good game to play and have fun with.
With Uncharted 4 I can't say that much. The game to me seems like an awesome exercise by Naughty Dog. I explain myself better. Graphics are stunning, maybe the best graphics you can actually find on console. The gameplay was pretty much the same of other Uncharted: climbing sections, some puzzles, fight sections.
But I found the story being really useless: basically
from the beginning of the game to the end, nothing really changes. We have Nate who quit the "treasure hunting" job, a brother supposed to be dead, but he wasn't, the two find themself again, another treasure hunt which lead to nothing in the end, an awful bad dude with, in my opinion, an useless final fight, Nadine, a good character not used properly...and in the end, when you see Nate's and Elena's daughter, it wasn't a suprise in my opinion. We have the same situation of the beginning in the end, nothing changed because Nathan quitted his "job" already when we start the game. The title is too linear, no cliffhanger, nothing.

Also for me there are way too many dead moments in the game, some sections are too long without a reason (the one in Malesia with the jeep), as someone wrote here, a lot of segments were done with the "look how beautiful is" purpose.

In the end, a good game for me, but nothing more.

The adventure
didn't lead to nothing , they got enough moeny to buy an company in their name and go toward making more discoveries. And judging by how they lived afterward and all those clues on how they got famous ( cover of magazines really) THIS adventure payed off big time for everyone. ( except sully , but he had something else planned )

valkyre

The adventure
didn't lead to nothing , they got enough moeny to buy an company in their name and go toward making more discoveries. And judging by how they lived afterward and all those clues on how they got famous ( cover of magazines really) THIS adventure payed off big time for everyone. ( except sully , but he had something else planned )

The story in itself isnt so much about the "treasure",
the game wants to really point out that Nate and Elena and even Sam discover who they trully are and realize when to say no to their obsessions. The reality is that throughout Uncharted 4 Nate and Elena understand that "normal" doesnt quite cut it for them to be happy but at the same time that becoming obsessed with a treasure hunt could destroy all they care about.

Hence at the end they opt to do something in between, hunting for artifacts and making discoveries, but legally. They live an adventurous life, doing what they love together without all the crazy dangers they faced before. They left UC4 with the most valuable realization.

mocoworm

Can anyone please advise me on the best method to get past the section where
the car is in the wooden lift (chapter 15 I think?). You are hanging on the side of the lift with the car in it, halfway up in the air and guys attack from all directions, using RPG's and grenades as well as guns. Are you supposed to stay on the lift and take them out or move around the environment? I am struggling to progress.

Can anyone please advise me on the best method to get past the section where
the car is in the wooden lift (chapter 15 I think?). You are hanging on the side of the lift with the car in it, halfway up in the air and guys attack from all directions, using RPG's and grenades as well as guns. Are you supposed to stay o the lift and take them out or move around the environment? I am struggling to progress.

That was a pain. But I did it by constantly moving and jumping to new cliffs . Popping out where necessary to take out baddies.

Ehhhh, that's a scene in the final 3rd of the game where Nate's taken a hell of a beating after the best stretch in the series. It's only natural that they wrote him as defeated and "over it" to reinforce the whole everyman "not a hero" thing he has going on. And naturally, as an action-adventure title, it's going to have those down beats to compliment the thrills. But as you say, it's the EXPANSION of that vibe that I'm not a fan of. triplestation called UC4 a "guilty journey" and while I'm not willing to go that far, it does feel a bit tainted, and overly subdued.

I disagree. It fits perfectly within that chapter and all the lingering addiction and nostalgia displayed in it. Plus there are
mechanic and visual callbacks to it in Chapter 20 with the truck chase (which is also a callback to UC2's truck chase, which was also a callback to the "run at the screen" Crash sequences. Naughty Dogception.)
Uncharted 1 had a run at camera section as well. When the pillars or ground was caving in early on.

Ludens

Banned
The adventure

Yeah, what I mean is
Drake abandoned the "treasure hunter" job, even if he and Elena did some archeological discoveries etc. In the end nothing changes, because all the things happening after you save your brother, they happen off-screen. The status quo of Nathan is unchanged, he wasn't a treasure hunter anymore in U4 beginning, he isn't in the end. He just did his last job to save his brother, and that's it.
I mean, you don't need to spend an entire game to say so, because the end of U3 with Nate giving the ring to Elena already hinted about this.

Yeah, what I mean is
Drake abandoned the "treasure hunter" job, even if he and Elena did some archeological discoveries etc. In the end nothing changes, because all the things happening after you save your brother, they happen off-screen. The status quo of Nathan is unchanged, he wasn't a treasure hunter anymore in U4 beginning, he isn't in the end. He just did his last job to save his brother, and that's it.
I mean, you don't need to spend an entire game to say so, because the end of U3 with Nate giving the ring to Elena already hinted about this.

[He and Elena aren't happy with their lives at the beginning of the game, but they are at the end. The find a healthy balance between what they want and what they need

Ludens

Banned
[He and Elena aren't happy with their lives at the beginning of the game, but they are at the end. The find a healthy balance between what they want and what they need

Ok, and I agree with you, but honestly this change is rather small, at least for me.
Thw writing in this game is wasy too linear and predictable, with no cliffhanger, nothing major happening.

Mmmm nope, there's more than that and the game tells you, saving Sam was the perfect excuse for Nathan to go back to treasure hunting.

Yes, because he wanted to do so.
But it's just stupid, because Elena told him several times to accept the job in Malesia if that would make him happy. But he decided to tell Elena nothing about the fact he was doing this "job" just to save his brother while Elena herself told him "Do that if you want". Of course she wasangry later, he acted like an idiot for no reason.

Guess this is my first time in an OT for a game I really really love, but shocked at how unimpressed some of you guys are with the game as a whole package. It just ticked every box for me and the ending in particular made me actually tear up something fierce. Gameplay was way better than previous titles and the graphics are spectacular. Regarding the story as a whole I think they did a fantastic job with fan service and weaving a awesome narrative that I was MUCH more invested and interested in than previous games. Much more personable conversations and generally more grounded. Loved every minute I spent out of my 20h play through. Don't even care if it's rose tinted glasses, but this is up there TLOU for me.

Great post. We are on the exact same page.

The only thing U4 has on U2 is graphics. This is why I proposed the idea of rereleasing U2 with redone graphics updated for PS4. Leaving everything else alone.

I'd pay $100

I probably prefer 2 and I'm playing both games simultaneously and UC4 has better gunplay and more dynamic encounters through and through. Gameplay is better even if it could use more of it.

valkyre

Guess this is my first time in an OT for a game I really really love, but shocked at how unimpressed some of you guys are with the game as a whole package. It just ticked every box for me and the ending in particular made me actually tear up something fierce. Gameplay was way better than previous titles and the graphics are spectacular. Regarding the story as a whole I think they did a fantastic job with fan service and weaving a awesome narrative that I was MUCH more invested and interested in than previous games. Much more personable conversations and generally more grounded. Loved every minute I spent out of my 20h play through. Don't even care if it's rose tinted glasses, but this is up there TLOU for me.

Its not so many that dont find the game awesome. The vast majority here actually claims its their best game of the series.

The game has received overwhelmingly positive reaction.

being unimpressed with some of the directions the writers choose to go, both pacing-wise & tone-wise, isn't the same thing as being unimpressed with the game as a whole package. it's an incredible package. but it's also in some ways a departure from previous entries, & how much you like or dislike that is how ultimately satisfied/unsatisfied you end up being with the overall experience...

But it's just stupid, because Elena told him several times to accept the job in Malesia if that would make him happy. But he decided to tell Elena nothing about the fact he was doing this "job" just to save his brother while Elena herself told him "Do that if you want". Of course she wasangry later, he acted like an idiot for no reason.

But they acknowledge during chapter 15 &16
that both of them want the adventure. The reason why nate wasn't willing to do the malaysia job was because he didn't want to break his promise to elena but did it anyway because sam was in danger. ( sam safety , considering he just got him back had way more value than nate promise at that point) , even if it was an escuse to go adventuring again as elena also points out.

Can I get an estimate of the time I have left in the game?

Currently in Chapter 20, just
reunited with Sully after the car chase.

I'm guessing the game will end at 21/22 so I'd say an hour-ish but I'd just like to know if I can finish it off in one sitting.

dan2026

Anyone who is thinking of starting this on hard. Dont.

Enemies are made of steel and you are made of cardboard.

Its frustration incarnate.

Ascenion

I don't think anyone is unimpressed with the whole package. Personally I found some aspects to be lacking. On the whole I found the plot weak and one dimensional. The character interactions don't make up for the weak plot holding it together. I find the music subpar ( I hate Henry Jackman) and I think on higher difficulties some things are unbalanced. I still love the game though. Is it the best game this year? Not to me. Is it the best game in the franchise? Not to me. Does it deserve all the praise it gets? Absolutely.

Pejo

Finished the game last night. I would have done it sooner except the GF wouldn't let me play without her watching. It was a really enjoyable ride. There are a few things that they did for this installment that I felt were genuine improvements.

- Climbing/navigating/exploring - It's no longer a single path that will get you to where you need to go, which I'm sure created a lot of extra Dev time, but it's so much better for the flow of the game that you can move forward in multiple ways. Also gives a lot more exploration possibilities when hunting collectibles.

- Battle arenas have multiple movement options, abilities to re-"stealth" if you stay out of sight long enough - This was probably the best change to me. I love that the gunfights aren't just "find a cover spot until you get flanked" then move. I felt actively encouraged to slip in and out of cover while navigating the field, swinging on a rope, etc. I also love that you can re-enter the stealth state and take out a few more enemies that way. The gunplay was seriously great this time around.

- Rope mechanic / rock pick thing - While being pretty unbelievable in most of the implementation (being able to hit a branch while jumping off a cliff you were just sliding down in a single throw 100% of the time, then easily disengaging and retrieving the rope as you jump off) I had so much fun with these mechanics. Particularly the rock pick, what a great addition. I would have been able to believe a whip more than a rope, but that's probably too Indiana Jonesy.

There were a few things I didn't like as well, but overall it was a great experience, and I'll probably give it a replay after a short break.

I'm guessing the game will end at 21/22 so I'd say an hour-ish but I'd just like to know if I can finish it off in one sitting.
U need about 2hrs-3hrs more
depending on difficulty and how much u die.

That's just how relationships works in real life though...
(still, I can see lots of senses in Nate ditching the Malasya Job).

rezn0r

I wouldn't say hard is easy, but so far it seems less-hard than U3 felt on hard (which I had just replayed the week before 4's release). I'm only on ch.12 though - I've seen a bunch of people say ch.20 is nuts.

edit:
IMO it's definitely harder than Hard-mode on U2, U3, and Last of Us. Not quite as bad as Crushing on U2 (only game I ever beat on Crushing), but still it can get really demoralizing towards the end. I don't even wanna think about how bad
No Escape
will be on Crushing :-S

I'm in the same boat as another poster earlier in this thread, ie., I always play NDI games on Hard the first time - they seem to tune their games such that the only way to be forced into learning all the mechanics is Hard and above. U4 might finally be an exception to that rule, which just earns it bonus points from me really :D

I missed a bunch of these posts. Maybe I was just rusty coming back to 3 after so long, and now not-rusty after getting through that. I remember 3's
ship graveyard & the "fire demon's"
were kind of a bitch.

You can finish it off in one sitting. I'd say a few hours to be generous. I'd just make sure your not under any strict time constraints

The bullet time modifier is a godsend on Hard/Crushing. It makes the game so much funner and its much easier to pop off headshots because of the aim advantage

The Lamp

Finished the game last night. I would have done it sooner except the GF wouldn't let me play without her watching. It was a really enjoyable ride. There are a few things that they did for this installment that I felt were genuine improvements.

- Climbing/navigating/exploring - It's no longer a single path that will get you to where you need to go, which I'm sure created a lot of extra Dev time, but it's so much better for the flow of the game that you can move forward in multiple ways. Also gives a lot more exploration possibilities when hunting collectibles.

Uh it's always a single direction to your next objective. Maybe there's 3 ledges to grab instead of 1 but you're still traveling in one undeterred linear direction (except for the open sandbox levels that ironically have lots of invisible walls and unclimbable areas lol).

- Rope mechanic / rock pick thing - While being pretty unbelievable in most of the implementation (being able to hit a branch while jumping off a cliff you were just sliding down in a single throw 100% of the time, then easily disengaging and retrieving the rope as you jump off) I had so much fun with these mechanics. Particularly the rock pick, what a great addition. I would have been able to believe a whip more than a rope, but that's probably too Indiana Jonesy.

There were a few things I didn't like as well, but overall it was a great experience, and I'll probably give it a replay after a short break.

Lol the piton was pointless. It just added another mindless button press to the climbing mechanic. It never made new climbing distances possible, they just changed the last 5 chapters' climbable surfaces to have piton terrain so you had to press an extra button in between climbing things. And it never helped you actually reach distances Nate couldn't already superhuman leap before he got the piton. It was a waste of a mechanic.

GrazGamer

I have just hit chapter 16 and I have to say I was underwhelmed during some of the earlier chapters, especially when even PC gamers were throwing around claims of best graphics ever, I just wasn't seeing it and I wasn't feeling the gameplay at all.

Around chapter 11 it started picking up visually, story-wise and gameplay-wise and by the time I hit
Libertalia
I was finally seeing why the graphics were getting all the praise, although the water effects are not the best especially when Nate is swimming on the surface and there are points I even thought Assassin's Creed 4 looked much better, but somehow now I find myself suddenly loving the game and can't wait to get back to it this evening.

I seem to have this problem with ND games, I really didn't enjoy TLOU first time round, played once on PS3 and sold it even before the DLC came out.

I then picked up a PS4 specifically for the remaster and it is quite possibly my favourite game of all time now.

I have a feeling a 2nd run through of this game might have me feeling the same.

Top Bottom