• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Riozaki

Banned
That area from the first gameplay demo is so fun to replay. There needed to be twice as many areas like that in the final game tbh, or at least twice as many shootouts like the elevator one.

This and more big set pieces.

I hope ND read this thread and see what they did right and wrong so the DLC can be huge improvement from the main game.

Javin98

Banned
Sony is just slow with congratulation emails. My Bloodborne email didn't come until 3 weeks after platinuming
Wait, do you get congratulation emails from platinuming all games or just select ones? I have three platinums currently and I got no emails from either of those. I platinum'd The Order back in mid January, Infamous Second Son in early April and Bloodborne in early May and nada. Nothing.

Wait, do you get congratulation emails from platinuming all games or just select ones? I have three platinums currently and I got no emails from either of those. I platinum'd The Order back in mid January, Infamous Second Son in early April and Bloodborne in early May and nada. Nothing.
I've gotten them from some games, but not all. Bloodborne I got one for sure. I think I got one for Second Son, Fallout 4, Gravity Rush, and Tearaway: Unfolded. Maybe Driveclub as well.

I could be wrong about what games I received a congratulations from, but I know I've gotten a few over the past couple of years.

kyser73

Just finished Chapter 16.

IMO surpasses Winter in TLOU as a piece of storytelling. Just amazing how well it ties everything together & sets up what is presumably the final act.

BeeDog

Haven't had much time to game due to real life, but managed to reach chapter 20 yesterday (
the very beginning of the ship graveyard, right after the exploding mummies
). Excellent, excellent game and will be top contender for GOTY alongside Dark Souls 3 despite some pacing issues. The combat is the best combat ever in a TPS, and the visuals are almost always utterly mind-blowing. I can't state enough how muh super-solid and responsive controls and great combat feedback elevates the game.

The only complaint I have is the area I mentioned above, the
exploding mummy caves. Annoying and quite ugly-looking, though the exit of the area was kind of cool.

TyGLynx

Neo Member
p1c.jpg

p1d.png

Reached it or not?

Probably already posted but full interview with Druckmann. He is reading this thread :p

http://links.eml.glixel.com/a/84/preview/1191726/684936646/3ab09e692ce68820d0312cc08a55e328bc8e2947

Thanks for linking this, I love his last bit about the faux ludonarrative dissonance BS. It made me smile when I got the achievement and saw the name and what its requirements were.

Got my platinum yesterday. Along with Uncharted 2 and Bloodborne, it's one of the few PS games I've bothered to seek out trophies for simply because playing it was so fun that I didn't want it to stop after the first playthrough. The return of the bonus cheats makes replays so much more enjoyable.

Also,
fuck mummy bombs in crushing difficulty.
That part with all the insta-death was a bunch of trial and error crap they didn't need.

lawtowler

Need one trophy for platinum and I'm pretty sure it's glitched for me.

The last one I need is
Peaceful Resolution. Has anyone else had troubles with this? I've not killed anyone in either chapter and nor has Sam (to the best of my knowledge). I was spotted in chapter 13 and ran straight through and was also spotted at the end of chapter 14, reset the checkpoint and spawned at the end of the chapter back in stealth mode. Any suggestions? I've tried pretty much everything I can think of so far.

I've gotten them from some games, but not all. Bloodborne I got one for sure. I think I got one for Second Son, Fallout 4, Gravity Rush, and Tearaway: Unfolded. Maybe Driveclub as well.

I could be wrong about what games I received a congratulations from, but I know I've gotten a few over the past couple of years.

Eeeexcuse me? I have a... an embarrassingly large number of platinums and I've never once gotten an email. I want to be fake recognized for my achievement.

Cubed

The last one I need is
Peaceful Resolution. Has anyone else had troubles with this? I've not killed anyone in either chapter and nor has Sam (to the best of my knowledge). I was spotted in chapter 13 and ran straight through and was also spotted at the end of chapter 14, reset the checkpoint and spawned at the end of the chapter back in stealth mode. Any suggestions? I've tried pretty much everything I can think of so far.

I don't have any advice, per se... but I just want to assure you that if Sam kills anyone, it doesn't matter. Sam killed one or two guys when I got the trophy (and I think an errant grenade from an enemy blew up another enemy) and I still got the trophy.

One thing I can say is make sure you play straight through the start of Chapter 15. My trophy didn't pop until I was walking around at the start of 15.

NeoGiff

The last one I need is

You have to actually get to chapter 15 for the trophy to pop.

dealer-

The last one I need is

Back up you saves to a USB/cloud and make sure you only have the one completed game save on your system, delete the rest. I just did a speed run through 13 and 14, no stealth and got the trophy.

I have just finished the game and I can say that I am very impressed with it.
Prefer it vastly to the Last of Us because I enjoy much more the adventure pulp/vibe.

As for the gameplay, in my opinion, they struck the perfect balance between exploration, narration and combat.
Gunplay feels right and the combat encounters don't overstay their welcome.
Each time I was thinking, "combat should stop, that's enough", it did and that's the big difference with the previous entries that would throw two more waves of enemies at you after this point.

I replayed a bit of the remastered first Uncharted last night and the back to back combat feels like crude design to the point of annoyance.

To me, this is Naughty Dog best work and I can't really understand people who prefer 2 over this entry. The last third of 2 with the tedious and constant fighting is a major drag. As for the story of U2 it's not as nuanced and I think characters lack depth.
In U4, I was impressed with Nadine's character who is amazingly designed and written.

Nev

Banned
As for the gameplay, in my opinion, they struck the perfect balance between exploration, narration and combat.

This is the best thing about the game along with the top-tier combat design and mechanics. I can hardly think of a game with better pacing than this. It's absolutely perfect to me in this regard.

lawtowler

Thanks for the replies, I have played through to Chapter 15 and waited for around 5 minutes with no joy. I'll try again tonight I guess.

lawtowler

Back up you saves to a USB/cloud and make sure you only have the one completed game save on your system, delete the rest. I just did a speed run through 13 and 14, no stealth and got the trophy.

So make sure I only have one save file , then load up chapter select from that? I believe I have two at the mo, I can back up and delete the second easily enough.

dealer-

So make sure I only have one save file , then load up chapter select from that? I believe I have two at the mo, I can back up and delete the second easily enough.

Yeah, just the 100% save file, then make a new save when you load up chapter 13. It might help, I had no problems after doing that.

Finally finished the game and loved it overall. I'd say it's my favorite of the series and can't wait to start second playthrough on crushing. I found the whole pirate themed plot fascinating and absolutely loved
the Guybrush Monkey Island references
. Simply brilliant.

I was mostly impressed with the amazing visuals and the stunning detailed locations. Often I just found myself breathing in the atmosphere and admiring the beautiful views. I really enjoyed the slower pace overall and loved the calmer chapters that the rest of the series were lacking
like Normal Life and Brothers Drake
. I found only couple of the shootouts toward the end a bit frustrating but didn't get at all tired of the action this time. On the contrary I think the slower pace made the action seem more effective and intense this time. I thought the gameplay had some nice variety this time and the larger open areas felt like a breath of fresh air to the series.

Really liked the ending and it actually took me by a surprise. Really liked how you were able to explore their new house and see glimpses of everyone's life during the years. I must say I was bit surprised that both Sam and Sully survived but really thought it was a fitting ending to the series.
Funnily enough I'd rank the series at the moment 4,3,2,1. They saved the best for last.

Still as much as I loved this The Last of Us remains my favorite Naughty Dog game. I think the more dramatic subject matter and themes make it a bit more memorable experience for me.

Crazy i didn't even see half of those. Also I think theres a few more when you have a long gun in the inventory.

Yep. I forgot to add the long gun clips, sorry. Animations in Uncharted 4 are superior to anything I have ever seen (video games), and I have played a lot of games.

just amazing the layers of animation that ND added to this. Really next gen stuff. Not the 1 canned animation move set.

ND are absolutely amazing. Check this out: https://vimeo.com/159836797

Edit: Video has quite a few potential spoilers!

theaface

Cool, will give that a try tonight. Thank you!

I read something that worked for me. Basically, whatever trickery you do with save files and chapter select and the like, just make sure that your kill count shows as zero when you start chapter 13. That sorted out any issues for me.

Windforce

The last one I need is

I got the trophy yesterday on my first attempt. Play til the start of Chapter 15 as it pops there. Also make sure to not be spotted. If you are, simply restart the checkpoint and try again. Thats because if you aggro, Sam will kill enemies. And some enemies might try throwing explosives and kill themselves.

laxu

God damn the last 3rd of the game is bad. It really goes to dumps after
New Devon
. Terribly designed levels and encounters (
enemy swarms and barely dodgeable exploding mummies
) and that
fuckin' quicktime event sword fight at the end
left a real sour taste in my mouth. Thankfully the epilogue saved it a bit.

Nozem

Ok fuck it I give up. After trying to beat the
jeep in the elevator
on crushed for two hours I just activated bullettime for easy headshot mode. Fuck that section.

CHC

God damn the last 3rd of the game is bad. It really goes to dumps after
New Devon
. Terribly designed levels and encounters (
enemy swarms and barely dodgeable exploding mummies
) and that
fuckin' quicktime event sword fight at the end
left a real sour taste in my mouth. Thankfully the epilogue saved it a bit.

I actually loved all the gunfights in N
ew Devon
, that one where you're near the water and can pop in and out of it was extremely cool.

The
mummies and sword fight
were dumb though. How can they have traps like that and no fucking way to avoid them - what were they thinking? The
sword fight was a good concept but it was too QTE-esque. Anyone who shits on the final encounter in the Order 1886 but says they liked the one in Uncharted is a total hypocrite haha.... they are almost the same thing.

Ok fuck it I give up. After trying to beat the
jeep in the elevator
on crushed for two hours I just activated bullettime for easy headshot mode. Fuck that section.

Bullet time + crushing is so much fun. I'm gonna do my second playthrough like that, I don't even give a fuck.

dealer-

I really want ND to add in a speed run mode like they did for the Uncharted Collection. It's really satisfying trying to get through each chapter in the quickest time using the new rope mechanics.

Ascenion

I got the trophy yesterday on my first attempt. Play til the start of Chapter 15 as it pops there. Also make sure to not be spotted. If you are, simply restart the checkpoint and try again. Thats because if you aggro, Sam will kill enemies. And some enemies might try throwing explosives and kill themselves.

This is partially true. Sam can kill all he wants, doesn't count against you. If they kill themselves, that's on you. PowerPyx and Harry94 have guides walking you through all of it.

I loved the game but I felt Nadine's character to be a bit pointless. She didn't really add anything to the story apart from being the random merc for hire and a short boss fight early on.

AndyVirus

The last one I need is

It's a weird one. I read that neither Sam or the China Lake wielding enemy were allowed to kill (the latter being friendly fire), but I've also seen reports that Sam has killed plenty and the trophy still popped. So maybe you just have to get lucky with the China Lake guy and hope he doesn't blow up one of his allies. Though unfortunately no way of knowing for sure until 20 minutes later and seeing if the trophy does or does not pop..

lawtowler

It's a weird one. I read that neither Sam or the China Lake wielding enemy were allowed to kill (the latter being friendly fire), but I've also seen reports that Sam has killed plenty and the trophy still popped. So maybe you just have to get lucky with the China Lake guy and hope he doesn't blow up one of his allies. Though unfortunately no way of knowing for sure until 20 minutes later and seeing if the trophy does or does not pop..

I guess the best way to know for sure is do all three encounters in perfect stealth - that's what I'll be trying next anyway.

Finished the game yesterday. It is my favorite Uncharted game by far. It is as technically impressive as the others were when they released, but this has better mechanics and I found the plot more engaging.

G-Bus

Banned
Finished last night.

Beautiful game in every way. Favorite uncharted for me.

Platforming and climbing around the environments were some of my favorite moments.
Would totally buy some kind of exploring, rock climbing type game.

kyser73

Finished it 5 mins ago.

What a great achievement of a piece of entertainment. From presentation to story and, IMO, gameplay ND have taken everything they've learned from the trilogy and TLOU and wrapped it up in such a wonderfully complete package!

The end really feels like an end to both this game and Nathan's story, and I will admit to some small eyegrit at the end.

id love for the DLC to be Cassandra returning to the island to try & re-enter the cave where Avery's ship was buried

Debating whether to playthrough on Hard. I played through on normal & found it nicely balanced, and I'm 50/50 on whether to bother about another trophy...more likely to play through on moderate or explorer to soak in more story...

I can't get the dolphin trophy. I find the first one no problem, like clockwork the second never shows up. Once it was up but I don't know how.

I even tried to get the third but it never appeared...

It'd be interesting if this game could have a hardcore climbing mode - with some actual risk to the traversal. Maybe some stamina or timing elements, less magnetism, fewer handholds, removed highlights and clues, needing run ups for big jumps, more swing momentum for the bigger jumps. That kind of thing.

If the shooting can be tailored for Hard and Crushing difficulties, why not make all that traversal more tense and require more of the player? Could help with some of the replayability issues.

To me, Uncharted 4 is the best of the series. It's not just that the graphics are better, it's the whole story - the way the characters interact and the treasure that they're going after. To me, a treasure hunt in movies/games should be about a legendary treasure; something of immeasurable wealth and the Libertalia Pirate Treasure is the largest fabled one in history. Uncharted 3 is a close second for me though, as the game's flow and set-pieces are some of the best in the series. I would almost say it's tied with Uncharted 4 to me. Uncharted 2 is next and then Uncharted 1, so I actually like them in reverse order. The Uncharted series is a rare example in my opinion, where the sequels get better as they go.

Bravo Naughty Dog, well done.

Top Bottom