• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Ascenion

Yeah considering the camera is locked on to him, they could have done a Metal Gear Rising type system where you flick the right stick towards the attack. Might have been more intuitive.

That probably would've worked 1000x better. That or a general block button based on timing or something. Left and right is simply not how a sword fight works

A spin makes his attack even easier to telegraph.

Is he attacking from the left? Press triangle. Is he attacking from the right? Press circle.

It's so easy. Obviously crushing makes it harder, but that's not going to be your first playthrough, so you have experience with the fight.

Crushing can be your first play through it isn't locked. I'm glad you found it easy, I found some of the combo attacks confusing, but that may be more because I mentally checked out when the fight started with a "is this really the way you chose to end things" face. I don't hate the fight like some, but I can see why people struggle and I find the entire thing to be lazy.

I really wish they had made stealth more viable, though. I'm NOT a fan of the new Tomb Raider games but the way they do stealth (with the bow and some silenced weapons) is at least serviceable. It's too bad that there aren't ANY silent weapons in Uncharted 4 with which you could attack from a distance.

They certainly wouldn't need a whole weapon customization / upgrade system, but just one or two weapons like a crossbow, tranquilizer gun, or silenced pistol could absolutely be worked in without radically changing anything.

Yeah considering the camera is locked on to him, they could have done a Metal Gear Rising type system where you flick the right stick towards the attack. Might have been more intuitive.
Silenced weapons would have made the game far too easy.

The stealth in Uncharted is simply there to pick off a few bad guys before everything goes to hell in traditional Uncharted fashion.

The Lamp

Guys don't go back to single player after playing extended hours of the multi player.

The immediate switch from 60 fps to 30 fps is downright nauseating.

Attacking didn't do anything, had to memorize the counterattack patterns to advance the fight. I was playing on hard, no idea if that changes the encounter.

Finished it finally, this game just wasn't very good. Some pretty severe pacing issues with many of the chapters, undercooked story and villains and a lack of memorable set pieces. I got a lot of mileage out of the co-op stuff from the second game, dunno why there's only the competitive stuff here, cause frankly that stuff is pretty weak. Bleh, I wanted to like this.

You have to attack when his guard is down , to get his guard down , you have to sucessfully parry. the mecanics of the fights are the same regardless of the difficulty

Wiped89

So inspired by beating Uncharted 4, I decided to take a spin with my favourite, Uncharted 2 again.

And you know what? Once you get past the much worse animation/facial detail in the clipscenes, it is almost painful how much better Uncharted 2 is than Uncharted 4 in some departments. The pace is breakneck, the shooting tight and satisfying, with lots of big battles that feel fun to gun through, big musical score, and TONS of big set pieces.

I love Uncharted 4 but I think having played them back to back from 4 to 2 I can't help but feel Uncharted 4 lacked some of 2's bombast. Like, Uncharted 2 would never have made you hook up a trailer underwater because it's not inherently Big Time Fun, I think Uncharted 4 forgets that a little.

The Lamp

So inspired by beating Uncharted 4, I decided to take a spin with my favourite, Uncharted 2 again.

And you know what? Once you get past the much worse animation/facial detail in the clipscenes, it is almost painful how much better Uncharted 2 is than Uncharted 4 in some departments. The pace is breakneck, the shooting tight and satisfying, with lots of big battles that feel fun to gun through, big musical score, and TONS of big set pieces.

I love Uncharted 4 but I think having played them back to back from 4 to 2 I can't help but feel Uncharted 4 lacked some of 2's bombast. Like, Uncharted 2 would never have made you hook up a trailer underwater because it's not inherently Big Time Fun, I think Uncharted 4 forgets that a little.

I understand that that chapter existed literally to make you as bored as Nate so you could see why he was unhappy with his life.

But yeah you're right. You haven't discovered anything terribly shocking. U2 is better in quite a few aspects. I've been itching to replay it since I beat my early U4 copy but I've been so hooked on the U4 multiplayer

autoduelist

I'm shocked so many people hated the boss fight. I beat the game on crushing my first time, so I had a pretty darn hard fight on my hands, and even though I struggled through it a bit [i'm good at dual stick shooters, terrible at anything rhythm] I thought the controls were extremely intuitive and it -felt- like a sword fight in a way that no other game has ever managed.

CHC

Silenced weapons would have made the game far too easy.

The stealth in Uncharted is simply there to pick off a few bad guys before everything goes to hell in traditional Uncharted fashion.

Well... yeah it is currently. I'm saying it would be more fun if the stealth was a little more involved / deep. It's not like it would be some gross violation of what the series stands for or something. I don't see why the weapons would make everything SO easy if they made a couple slight AI tweaks to accommodate.

I'm shocked so many people hated the boss fight. I beat the game on crushing my first time, so I had a pretty darn hard fight on my hands, and even though I struggled through it a bit [i'm good at dual stick shooters, terrible at anything rhythm] I thought the controls were extremely intuitive and it -felt- like a sword fight in a way that no other game has ever managed.

Agreed. The boss was fantastic.

It may have broken for them. I was passing the controller back and forth for the main game, so I haven't played that part personally, but it kept going on forever for them and seemingly never progressing in any way even when the person I was playing with was consistently hitting every prompt. After like 6+ minutes,
Rafe just rag-dolled
, then it started over as if restarting a checkpoint. After that, new
fight animations
started up real quickly.

Ascenion

I hate it mostly because it's the same shit from Uncharted 3. Mix it up a bit. Not to mention a third person shooter doesn't need a boss fight that is such a departure from the rest of the game. I stand by Uncharted 1 having the best boss. If this is the best boss you can come up with after the complaints about the other 3, maybe just don't have one. It isn't creative, it isn't necessary and the only good thing I can say about it is that at least it isn't Lazarevic.

I hate it mostly because it's the same shit from Uncharted 3. Mix it up a bit. Not to mention a third person shooter doesn't need a boss fight that is such a departure from the rest of the game. I stand by Uncharted 1 having the best boss. If this is the best boss you can come up with after the complaints about the other 3, maybe just don't have one. It isn't creative, it isn't necessary and the only good thing I can say about it is that at least it isn't Lazarevic.

Uncharted 1's introduces Navarro's laser sight gimmick that was only somewhat introduced prior in the game. The final segment is a QTE coupled with that "take cover, but only advance when we want you to," part, something never used elsewhere.

Lazarevic's fight is actually the smallest departure from the main game. You run, shoot and climb. The only QTE's are optional/avoidable.

sn00zer

Rented the game and been playing last few days......really wasnt feeling the first half but having quite a bit of fun in the second half.

Also holy shit that easter egg goes DEEP
oh hey its Guybrush....woah wait its Guybrush in a painting....and a statue...and another statue......jeezus hes actually in the universe not just an easteregg

autoduelist

He spawned into that encounter with full ammo. Try going into that with an Uzi and ten rounds for your primary. It's impossible. I've played and completed every Uncharted on Crushing and to my memory the initial firefight in the ship graveyard is one of the worst encounters in the series.

Chapter 20 is pretty awful altogether, though. The rest of the game plays better on Crushing than any other Uncharted to date. Chalking up the complaints to "lol ur bad" in this specific case is really unfair.

I spawned into that encounter with almost no ammo. It took me quite a few tries, but I ultimately beat it pretty 'easily' [once you take my countless deaths into account].

Here's the route i discovered to relatively safely cheese it.

Immediately drop down on guy in front of you for a grenade, then flying jump into the safe room, and STAY there. Two or three guys will come to you, kill them [you now have ammo]. If you always look out the right of the ship, most grenades will miss the boat, and you can drop down a notch or roll past the door in emergencies. Get the golden gun in the back of the room, headshot the snipers [proper aim this only takes a couple rounds] - if anyone is close range shooting you, kill them before the snipers just in case. Save the golden machine gun rounds if possible. Once three guys are left, roll around outside and collect ammo and 4 grenades. If possible, kill all remaining quickly [kill one, then grenade the other 2 if possible, assuming you can easily get a new 4th grenade].

Sprint back to door. Usually the 2 ninja dudes will rush you -- you need to kill them fast they will ruin your day. Double grenade each heavy, then headshot for kill. If possible, wait for a heavy to get close - grab his gun for easy cleanup.

It ain't the funnest battle, but it's crushing, you get what you sign up for.

ND's in too deep with this "serious narrative" stuff for my tastes, at least for UC4. I want to want to replay this game, but every time I think about the way it's structured the hype drains from me. There's entirely too much Last of Us/Left Behind in the core of this game. I've also come to dislike how much it's overtly trying to be The Last Uncharted™ and Final Adventure® of Nathan Drake™ from Naughty Dog®. All the heartstring pulling schmaltz, contemplation, and heavier tone is too much for me. It's lacking that carefree spirit, that harder edged wit, that pulpy energy I enjoyed. I get that a lot of people love what UC4 does, but I just wanted Uncharted to go out being Uncharted as hell and I'm left unfulfilled.

What the hell?

That fight was very short.

The fight felt super long to me and and like it would never end, lol. Could be due to the fact that I died like 20 times on it, though (on Hard). :( Was incredibly frustrating and definitely the worst "boss" in the series. Totally ruined the story momentum for me because after I beat it, I was like "fucking finally" and had kinda lost interest in what was going on.

dralla

The fight felt super long to and and like it would never end, lol. Could be due to the fact that I died like 20 times on it, though (on Hard). :( Was incredibly frustrating and definitely the worst "boss" in the series. Totally ruined the story momentum for me because after I beat it, I was like "fucking finally" and had kinda lost interest in what was going on.

Were you attacking him with square? I don't think people know you can do this. You don't have to wait and counter his attacks. It's like Lasaravich in UC2 all over again. People didn't know you could shoot him to do damage and relied only on the explosive resin pods.

autoduelist

ND's in too deep with this "serious narrative" stuff for my tastes, at least for UC4. I want to want to replay this game, but every time I think about the way it's structured the hype drains from me. There's entirely too much Last of Us/Left Behind in the core of this game. I've also come to dislike how much it's overtly trying to be The Last Uncharted™ and Final Adventure® of Nathan Drake™ from Naughty Dog®. All the heartstring pulling schmaltz, contemplation, and heavier tone is too much for me. It's lacking that carefree spirit, that harder edged wit, that pulpy energy I enjoyed. I get that a lot of people love what UC4 does, but I just wanted Uncharted to go out being Uncharted as hell and I'm left unfulfilled.

I liken it to Unforgiven. It's self-aware, self-critical, and puts the 'hero' in direct opposition to his own past. It's not for everyone, but it's a great way to close out the series.

The series will NEVER be closed out. We'll see Uncharted again, and probably even see Nathan Drake again.

Heh, I just noticed ND = naughty dog = nathan drake.

Were you attacking him with square? I don't think people know you can do this. You don't have to wait and counter his attacks. It's like Lasaravich in UC2 all over again. People didn't know you could shoot him to do damage and relied only on the explosive resin pods.

I didn't realize you were able to attack him with square for the first few attempts, but I did start doing that and finally won. Most of my attacks were deflected though and it seemed like I was only able to do damage after blocking him and waiting for the square button prompt. lol

I liken it to Unforgiven. It's self-aware, self-critical, and puts the 'hero' in direct opposition to his own past. It's not for everyone, but it's a great way to close out the series.

The series will NEVER be closed out. We'll see Uncharted again, and probably even see Nathan Drake again.

= Neil Druckmann :O

Does anyone know if naughty dog fixed the speed run glitch in the most recent update? I try to get it today and it will not pop for me using the glitch method.

It could've had the exact same tone and still delivered on having breakneck pace, a respectable amount of combat and crazy set-pieces. It didn't need to start and stop repeatedly to accommodate the introspective moments, and all of those — as they are in the final game — could've been welcome and refreshing as respite from the action.

I really would've hated for this to feel like "just another Uncharted," in tone as the finality in every aspect of story in regard to Nate was truly great. That said, it would've been more than welcome to have some actual escalation in the action across multiple chapters. The truck chase and convoy fit just fine with the tone of the game and more of that would've made the game repayable.

At the very least, they need to patch the encounter select to just thrust you into the full game if you so choose, or at least have that Madagascar chase be all one encounter

sense

Finished the game a couple of hours ago, after stopping day after release, at chapter 8 from boredom. Not gonna rile the hornet's nest to much so I'll just say it's more Uncharted disappointingly, with the same old problems. I will say I'm completely baffled by all the perfect scores, makes me wonder how many actually finished it. Sequence in chapter
is probably the worst game design decision I think I've seen from a triple A deveoper,
would have preferred a cutscene, which is a sad thing to say

One thing cracked me up though, AI character did something I wasn't expecting, actually yelled at the screen, what the fuck was that heh.

Spoiler I guess, though not really http://youtu.be/W3nx0AJyq9k
Completely baffled by 10/10 scores lol. You are in the minority, get over it. It is totally ok for the game to have not clicked for you.

Eh. Maybe if this was the first Uncharted game and was a deconstruction of the entire shooter-adventure sub genre I'd be more accepting, but I just wanted a romp. All the grand gestures and self aware, self critical stuff is so removed from why i put so many hours into UC2.

It could've had the exact same tone and still delivered on having breakneck pace, a respectable amount of combat and crazy set-pieces. It didn't need to start and stop repeatedly to accommodate the introspective moments, and all of those — as they are in the final game — could've been welcome and refreshing as respite from the action.

I really would've hated for this to feel like "just another Uncharted," in tone as the finality in every aspect of story in regard to Nate was truly great. That said, it would've been more than welcome to have some actual escalation in the action across multiple chapters. The truck chase and convoy fit just fine with the tone of the game and more of that would've made the game repayable.

At the very least, they need to patch the encounter select to just thrust you into the full game if you so choose, or at least have that Madagascar chase be all one encounter

The thing is, I'm also not a fan of sentimentality in the final chapters of a story, and videogames build a house on that foundation so they can strum the nostalgia strings and make endless callbacks and tie up every loose end. So even with more action, the narrative side of UC4 wouldn't really blow me away. The more time passes since I played
the Epilogue
, the less and less I think the game needed it. The more I think about
Chapter 16
, the less I think the game needed to languish in it, particularly at that moment. I prefer implied backstory with a driving momentum where you live in the present, and I feel that's where UC was at its most successful. And of course there's space for all types of narratives, but I can only speak for myself, and myself isn't satisfied.

But sure, a more bombastic pace would've alleviated a lot of this. I don't get into story discussion as much precisely because that's not why i was here.

Conezays

Just finished the game and overall quite enjoyed it. Felt the second half of the game was much stronger than the opening which was a little overly subdued IMO. Looking forward to checking out multiplayer.

Finally finished.

Hard mode is definitely not wise for the first playthrough and I kind of regret that.

Other then that. Yeah. Its a solid ol' game. They do love their long quiet sections but I guess Bruce and Druckmann have a style since TLOU was similar in that regard.

And the ending is perfect.

And I kind of liked how nostalgic the game seemed about Uncharted 1. The characters mention the events of that game a bit and a few sections of the game gave me real U1 feels. Like there is a part near the end where you are climbing some cliffs and the light is just so that it reminded me a bunch of that part near the start of U1 near that Uboat where you a climbing cliffs behind a waterfall at sunset.

nel e nel

Finally finished.

Hard mode is definitely not wise for the first playthrough and I kind of regret that.

Other then that. Yeah. Its a solid ol' game. They do love their long quiet sections but I guess Bruce and Druckmann have a style since TLOU was similar in that regard.

And the ending is perfect.

And I kind of liked how nostalgic the game seemed about Uncharted 1. The characters mention the events of that game a bit and a few sections of the game gave me real U1 feels. Like there is a part near the end where you are climbing some cliffs and the light is just so that it reminded me a bunch of that part near the start of U1 near that Uboat where you a climbing cliffs behind a waterfall at sunset.

I thought the opening was a direct reference what with the
shootout on the boat with Sam which was just like the shoutout with Elena.

Also, not gonna lie, they got me with the Epilogue, I legit thought
they had gone way back to young Elena, and when she was saying "where are they" that her parents had died or something, which was her origin story of becoming an embedded journalist.

The pace yes, but I really miss the openness and arena gameplay of uncharted 4 that UC2 doesn't compare although it has some amazing set ups.

EL CUCO

Going through it on Crushing and I'm currently witnessing some of the worst game design ever.
Exploding Mummies

nib95

Banned
Going through it on Crushing and I'm currently witnessing some of the worst game design ever.
Exploding Mummies

For a crushing play through, most of the time you can set them off and then just roll backwards, before proceeding forwards again only after they've exploded. For the final bout where things get crazy, just jog right in to the fray, in the middle of them all, so they set off all around you, and roll only in the direction that there is a gap on the outer edges of your screen with respect to the indicators (Eg the only area there isn't an explosive indicator icon, when all of them around you have gone off). Same again when the second bunch go off. If I remember correctly, with the final segment the escape route is through the middle then towards the top left. But if you follow the method mentioned, you should automatically end up there.

CHC

Exploding Mummies

That was COMPLETELY idiotic, I have no idea how they sat down for a final playthrough and were like "yeah this is good."

All they needed was some mechanism to avoid them and it would have been fine. But as it is now, it's not even a good trap idea in the first place and it's spammed 50 fucking times in a row.

EL CUCO

Just got through it. Thanks guys. Must've died 30 times. More in that section than the entire playthrough all together (including my first run on moderate). Ridiculous

Finally finished it, the themes prevalent throughout the game really hit home for me.
Love of your brother, trusting those you are in a relationship with and sticking with them through the good and the bad. Friends that put everything on the line for you and Drake finally understanding who he was is not who he is.
We all come from small beginnings even Naughty Dog, that's why
they had us play Crash twice
. I even like the final boss battle, fitting for a game of this sort.

This is my favorite Uncharted, but I think this is one of the few series where you can't go wrong having a different opinion. Thats the testimate of a great series IMO. If there are any more Uncharted games a Sully prequel series would be good, but it should have a different vibe as not to be too similar. Overall I can't say enough good things about it 10/10

Playing this and Black Flag back-to-back is weird, like it almost feels like a legitimate prequel
The Idea of Libertalia is mentioned a few times with Nassau
seemingly the precursor to it.
Madagascar's pirates get referenced all the time.
Nassau alliance of Pirates as a precursor
Anne Bonny herself as part of that initial group which are all dead or retired by the end and she is depressed about the loss of their group
later joins the Libertalia group.

Piichan

Banned
Playing this and Black Flag back-to-back is weird, like it almost feels like a legitimate prequel
The Idea of Libertalia is mentioned a few times with Nassau
seemingly the precursor to it.
Madagascar's pirates get referenced all the time.
Nassau alliance of Pirates as a precursor
Anne Bobby herself as part of that initial group which are all dead or retired by the end and she is depressed about the loss of their group
later joins the Libertalia group.
This and the artwork plagiarism thing really make me think ND looked towards AC4 for inspiration of Avery's backstory. (Haven't played AC4 myself though)

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
This and the artwork plagiarism thing really make me think ND looked towards AC4 for inspiration of Avery's backstory. (Haven't played AC4 myself though)
Must be. That's the only explanation why a treasure hunting franchise with a history of being inspired and about pirates would feature one of the most famous pirates.

EL CUCO

Treasure stats are bugged. Showing all of them in my treasure list, but the stats are showing 101/109. I knew I should've gone to be bed content after tonight's GoT. Instead I'm going to bed pissed and tired lol

Piichan

Banned
Must be. That's the only explanation why a treasure hunting franchise with a history of being inspired and about pirates would feature one of the most famous pirates.

I meant the concept of Libertalia more specifically. But like I said, I haven't played AC4, so I don't know to what extent it is similar. I don't know much about Avery outside of U4 either, was his pirate paradise thing... a thing?

I meant the concept of Libertalia more specifically. But like I said, I haven't played AC4, so I don't know to what extent it is similar. I don't know much about Avery outside of U4 either, was his pirate paradise thing... a thing?
Libertalia had been a part of pirate fiction well before Black Flag.

Well, they stuck the landing. I really liked the ending. As for the rest of the game, I'll just spoiler everything:

I liked "Uncharted" in urban environments, so I liked the kid sections and the auction scene; I really liked both sections in the house even though you do nothing because it is nice just seeing how they live. I loved the all the fight encounters because I loved the open environments where I could move freely, stealth, melee, and swing. That felt great. I loved all the voice work, including the new characters. I liked that there were no supernatural elements.

What I didn't like, is something I've not liked in every Uncharted game, is the music, which I think is hamstrung by its terrible theme. I also disliked the somewhat squandering of Nadine, because we see her like, four time throughout the game? And, we fight her twice in a QTE? And, it's even more of a letdown because I liked the very little we see of her and I love Bailey's performance. I think some sequences go on for too long (like some of the driving late in the game) and the "puzzles" are more tedious than anything since it is always the same of "go get this obvious boo and push it to the obvious place" or "hook the wench to this tree". I honestly thought that a few times they did this just so nothing happens and they can load the next section of the game.

And, going back to great things... no load times is great and I noticed the lack of them. The tech in this game is fantastic, and the lighting at times was unparalleled in anything. My one quibble with the tech is that, and maybe I'm just mistaken, but do they do the LA Noire thing of having video projection on faces at times on the in game models, not the ones used for cutscenes? There's a few instances where it looks like the animation is too good but a little out of focus or grainy, so that's why I assumed as much.

Last two things I want to mention. The spectacle in the game is sadly missing. Outside of the E3 preview with the car chase, the game never had the highs of Uncharted 2. And, near the end, the sequence with the truck chasing you was very anticlimactic. I wish there was at least one other scene that felt as big and frantic as that initial car chase E3 scene. Also, different locals with different terrains.

And, finally, I love the small moments in these games, such as Nathan slumping his shoulders, or the body movements between Elena and Nathan, or whatever. It's amazing how well Naughty Dog is with this stuff and their writing (as with their direction of these scenes to let things play out and not worry about cutting constantly; there is some filmmaking in this stuff that you don't see in many other games).

There are things I can complain about more, like the Alcazar stuff, the quickness of Elena to forgive Nathan, Nathan's quickness to forgive his brother, and so on, but I was fooled enough to not have these things bother me significantly.

One last thing. Since Naughty Dog in the past has had controversy being, let's say, "inspired" by real life people to model their character after, is Nadine modeled on Naomi Harris? And, who is Cassie? She looks so familiar but I can't place it.

Oh, and the Monkey Island nods were very appreciated by me!

Certainly a step up from 3, I'm not sure about 2. It's been too long. Great game.

I feel pretty weird about this game right now. I was super hyped for it and I like so many things about it, yet I'm only on around chapter 11, nearly two weeks after starting it. It's something I've just been playing every few days for the last week and a half.

I took ages to complete UC3 as well, but kind of expected this to grip me a bit more than it has. Some of the cutscenes and gameplay early in the game had me kind of overexcited about it bordering on being TLOU-tier but I don't think that's really the case at all, as good as it is.

Yet to give the multiplayer a go and looking forward to that, but kind of want to finish the main game first.

Top Bottom