• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Huh, playing through a second time, it's interesting listening to the dialog between Sam and
Alcazar. I now understand what Sam was doing there.
I was curious how that'd play out after having knowledge of the post game. Neat.

brainslug

Finished.

Overall I enjoyed it. It definitely had some pacing problems and I think the game was a tad too long, but there were many, many awesome segments too (Madagascar was my favorite) and the combat was easily the best in the series. The plot was okay too.

The ending
was just adorable, I really liked the epilogue. I actually expected at least one of the main characters to die (Sam most likely), but I'm glad everyone lived.

Will propably play second time too (to collect all them treasures!), but not right away.

GrazGamer

If only we could use the grappling hook on things that you would expect it to work on.

Similar to that, I was really disappointed when I had to move a wooden bookshelf to get to a rock wall which needed destroying with dynamite but dynamite did fuck all to the wooden bookshelf when I tried to destroy it before moving it.

teokrazia

Is stealth still viable if I wanna get rid of the atrocious Threat Indicators?
I've played TLOU without Listen Mode and most of the HUD elements disabled and I enjoyed it quite alot
I'm still in the early chapters, but I've experimented a bit and things here seem prohibitive without those square over enemies heads. :/

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I've played TLOU without Listen Mode and most of the HUD elements disabled and I enjoyed it quite alot
I'm still in the early chapters, but I've experimented a bit and things here seem prohibitive without those square over enemies heads. :/
Yes. Need to be acutely aware of your surroundings and the music/voices around you.

Disabled those things at start, never seen them, didn't need them.

tr1p1ex

Lol the piton was pointless. It just added another mindless button press to the climbing mechanic. It never made new climbing distances possible, they just changed the last 5 chapters' climbable surfaces to have piton terrain so you had to press an extra button in between climbing things. And it never helped you actually reach distances Nate couldn't already superhuman leap before he got the piton. It was a waste of a mechanic.

You make a good pt.

I hadn't thought about it like that. I was just happy that the piton broke up the monotony of the climbing.

They could have done more with it. But I think that applies to a lot of the game design. It's kind of flat. They don't build on anything. They just repeat it over and over and over.

8bit

Knows the Score
Played on hard all the way until the end but just couldn't beat
Rafe
so had to dial it down, couldn't read the attacks and it was just mash and hope for the best. I didn't like the epilogue, but a lot of that was down to the weird looking dog.

Enjoyed it for the most part, but it took too long to get started and went on a little too long. The Madagascar sequence was particularly amazing though.

Fjordson

Alright, I just beat chapter 12. With the boat. That was the first slow chapter I didn't mind. Something about it was so cool, just exploring and discovering clues with Sam. And that locale looks incredible.

Think it helps with this game that I've always been into pirates and that era of history.

I wonder how people would have taken to a more "gamey" approach where they added a new game+ where you can then use the piton in earlier chapters where you didn't have it yet but saw the paths for it. Same with maybe the grappling hook and winch should they have introduced them later or allowed for ugrades. Would have made treasure hunting and replayability more fun reaching previously inaccessible areas.

Silk04

Finished it. Enjoyed the ride. I like the ending. Honestly was tired after chapter 20 lol. Drake had enough. Uncharted can retire now. ND needs to do a Jak game. (I can dream)

I wonder how people would have taken to a more "gamey" approach where they added a new game+ where you can then use the piton in earlier chapters where you didn't have it yet but saw the paths for it. Same with maybe the grappling hook and winch should they have introduced them later or allowed for ugrades. Would have made treasure hunting and replayability more fun reaching previously inaccessible areas.
Would be interesting. But I would have been annoyed if there were things like inaccessible treasures :p

Lol the piton was pointless. It just added another mindless button press to the climbing mechanic. It never made new climbing distances possible, they just changed the last 5 chapters' climbable surfaces to have piton terrain so you had to press an extra button in between climbing things. And it never helped you actually reach distances Nate couldn't already superhuman leap before he got the piton. It was a waste of a mechanic.

nothing wrong with the piton. If anything, it is underused and introduced too late. Loved jumping a big jump to have to use the piton and for it to rip up the wall. That was great

Azzanadra

I am glad the The Walking Dead/Game of Thrones school of screenwriting (that is becoming increasingly popular nowadays) did not infect the Uncharted writing team. I am surprised so many people want something like Uncharted to be all gritty edgelord/dark these days... nonetheless, I am relieved Naughty Dog stuck by their guns on this one.

I am glad the The Walking Dead/Game of Thrones school of screenwriting did not infect the Uncharted writing team. I am surprised so many people want something like Uncharted to be all gritty edgelord/dark these days... nonetheless, I am relieved Naughty Dog stuck by their guns on this one.
Completely agree. The tone was slightly more somber than previous games, but it still felt very Uncharted.

Slyfer

Neo Member
Really enjoyed the game and appreciated how crushing was unlocked from the beginning but it was not as good as Uncharted 2 as far as set pieces, characters, tone and humor are concerned. I really wanted this to be the best Uncharted but was left disappointed in that regard. Feel free to disagree with my points:

- There's no supernatural element in the game considering all the previous games have them.

- The best part of the game was the city chase and I can't believe that there weren't any other big set pieces like that.

- I didn't like the reluctance attitude with Nathan since treasure hunting is what he does best and is the point of these games... Sam had the right idea as far as seeing the whole thing through when he left the group to go to the mountain.

- Nadine aside from being a perfect character simply vanished in the end and felt too underutilized in the plot.

- I miss the lighthearted tone of the previous games and felt this game was too serious. The whole relationship drama between Nathan and Elena felt out of place.

- I would have preferred seeing some of the cast from the previous games like Cutter or Chloe meet up with the group in the ending instead of playing a new character and skipping so far ahead in time.

My progess in DOOM keeps getting halted because I got sucked into another playthrough of this lol. I feel like the pacing works best if you only play a chapter or two at a time, since each chapter or pair of chapters seem to be paced as their own little chunk with escalation and climaxes (chapters 6&7, 8&9, etc).

It's really cool how there are lots of ways of progressing through the slower parts faster too.

I already feel like trading this game in. It doesn't have the replayability of previous entries and I feel like I got everything I could out of it the first time. I respect ND for taking a new direction with the series but I think in this case it made for an overall worse game. Replay-ability's been shot to hell with all the slow sections.

Dragun619

Finally beat the game, and loved it. Still choose UC2 over UC4, but its close. Definitely feels like a better entry than UC3. Disappointed that there wasnt enough Rafe and Nadine and that there was no supernatural stuff, hah.

Still, the number one dissappointing thing right now, is how theres no behind the scenes documentary in the bonus section. Man, I loved their BTS doc on the last of us. Felt really good watching that after beating it.
I know they did put out some BTS clips for UC4 marketing, but It would been nice if they had added that all together in here too.

Still, the number one dissappointing thing right now, is how theres no behind the scenes documentary in the bonus section. Man, I loved their BTS doc on the last of us. Felt really good watching that after beating it.
I know they did put out some BTS clips for UC4 marketing, but It would been nice if they had added that all together in here too.

Yep, I was disappointed there wasn't any BTS stuff going on, especially after how fantastic the one for TLOU was. I guess the start of U4's development was a bit of a shit-show re: staff and they probably didn't want to pretend it didn't happen, so decided to just not do an in-depth almost feature length extra.

JTripper

Apparently Sony will send you some artwork if you platinum the game but I'm not sure if it's just a digital attachment or an actual poster or something congratulating you. I got the platinum a few days ago but haven't received any e-mail or anything. Anyone know more about this?

Edit: It's just a congratulatory e-mail. Meh.

Apparently Sony will send you some artwork if you platinum the game but I'm not sure if it's just a digital attachment or an actual poster or something congratulating you. I got the platinum a few days ago but haven't received any e-mail or anything. Anyone know more about this?

Yeah it's an e-mailed image of the steelbook's cover art captioned 'Congratulations Treasure Hunter' or thereabouts. Pretty neat little bonus, but apparently others who have Platinumed haven't heard anything about it.

Don't the other character skins just change the look of that character and not Nate? IE choosing Rafe's tux would just have him in a tux in his scenes?

Are you serious? :( That's really, really disappointing... oh well, guess this explains my asking HOW ND would achieve the scripting and sequencing of characters other than Nate in real time scenes/gameplay...

That area from the first gameplay demo is so fun to replay. There needed to be twice as many areas like that in the final game tbh, or at least twice as many shootouts like the elevator one.

JBwB

Yeah it's an e-mailed image of the steelbook's cover art captioned 'Congratulations Treasure Hunter' or thereabouts. Pretty neat little bonus, but apparently others who have Platinumed haven't heard anything about it.

I got the platinum trophy almost a week ago and I haven't received anything. I guess they're only acknowledging recent platinumers?

Scuba Nathan knows you never go full vampire.

scuba%20nathan%202.jpg

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The amount of unskippable cutscenes and slow walking segments are making this Crushing speedrun unbearable I mean holy shit...not to mention Nate feels like shit to control compared to in the MP, a lot more animation priority. And cinematics count towards the timer, literally lost an hour due to the first two chapters.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Only complaint:
Old Elena is not old at all. What 40+ year old woman looks like that?

Wait... Aren't they 50 by now? Assuming Drake is 35-38 in UC4 + epilogue which I'm assuming is 14-16 years after UC4.

Finally beat the game, and loved it. Still choose UC2 over UC4, but its close. Definitely feels like a better entry than UC3. Disappointed that there wasnt enough Rafe and Nadine and that there was no supernatural stuff, hah.

Dude you're so right. I would kill for a documentary sort of like Grounded: the Making of the The Last of Us

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
So why play it if you are not enjoying it?
I enjoy the parts where I break the set pieces, with an unlimited ammo barok+auto aim. Just shocked at all the padding which includes crates, holding triangle or going up to press triangle on something, there's way too little use of the actual mechanics of the gameplay even after the really slow intro which kinda makes one wonder what they were thinking with a speedrun trophy.

Top Bottom