• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

BeeDog

There, finished the game just now on Normal.

Playtime: 14:00:45
Treasure: 63/109
Journal notes: 17/25
Journal docs: 18/23
Optional conversations: 29/36
Enemies killed: 563

Utterly fantastic game, by far the best one in the series on the account that (1) the actual gameplay and gunplay is the best one, (2) the scriptwork and the overall level of acting is the best it's ever been, and (3) it looks so good I wanted to shed a tear at certain locations. Yes, it has some issues with pacing which could make it a pain in the ass during reruns, and the framerate took too many hits throughout the game to give that super-solid polished feeling, but those are minor blips in my eyes. Top 3 game for this year, and probably in general for the PS4 thus far.

Been playing this game and honestly this is the best game I have ever played. I love games that have a story line, where you have to go through worlds and figure things out..that is what I love about this game, and the graphics are AMAZING!!! Sometimes I get frustrated with a game that I cant beat and just quit but this game I just love playing kudos to the developers of this game they did a fantastic job!

TitusTroy

just finished Chapter 18...that final fight inside Avery's mansion was really difficult (playing on Hard)...if I switch/lower the difficulty for even 1 second then I lose the achievement for completing the game on Hard right?

After a bunch of tweaking, I finally finished my review of this.
Retail copy & my first video review.

YouTube Link

While I think 2, 3, and 4 are all 10s, this is my favorite. No game is without its flaws but I feel like the positives far outweigh what I would consider minor flaws here (too many box puzzles, light on MP content).

valkyre

Regarding the encounter select feature, have you guys noticed that the encounters themselves have fewer enemies than the campaign does?

Regarding the encounter select feature, have you guys noticed that the encounters themselves have fewer enemies than the campaign does?

I played a few encounters and it seems the same to me, or at least similar. I believe the number of enemies was variable in campaign also, based on whether you played stealth or played more recklessly, letting them call in reinforcements.

Soriku

Why are the mummies such a big deal? At most they killed me a few times in the beginning until I understood how they worked. Past that even if they hit me, they're normally not a one hit kill. I didn't think much of that segment.

valkyre

I played a few encounters and it seems the same to me, or at least similar. I believe the number of enemies was variable in campaign also, based on whether you played stealth or played more recklessly, letting them call in reinforcements.

I think you are right in regards to stealth and reinforcements!

Why are the mummies such a big deal? At most they killed me a few times in the beginning until I understood how they worked. Past that even if they hit me, they're normally not a one hit kill. I didn't think much of that segment.

I kind of enjoyed them! Since not all of them were
rigged to explode
, it sort of turned into a guessing game as it went on and kept the tension high. I think I only died once because of them and then the dive rolls out of the way felt really cool after that.

dosh

peeaXMl.gif

I really love the fight sequences in this game. The gameplay itself is great, but between the diversity and quality of animations, the really well designed arenas and the (most welcome) introduction of verticality during combat, everything feels even more fluid and engaging.

It's really apparent on a second playthrough, when you know the arenas and the possibilities a little bit more.

Tying up the winch is still the most satisfying gameplay aspect of the game though.

My progess in DOOM keeps getting halted because I got sucked into another playthrough of this lol. I feel like the pacing works best if you only play a chapter or two at a time, since each chapter or pair of chapters seem to be paced as their own little chunk with escalation and climaxes (chapters 6&7, 8&9, etc).

It's really cool how there are lots of ways of progressing through the slower parts faster too.

My second play through I realized chapter 8 is amazing. One of the best chapters in the game. Each encounter gets progressively more awesome until the main big one which introduces swinging in combat and it's fantastic. This game is growing on me like the mold on the veggies I forgot to throw away.

I'm not as angry about lack of set pieces cause each encounter is its on darn set piece.

TheFatMan

Just beat the game on Normal, little over 13 hours.

Naughty Dog can pat themselves on the back, because that was a masterpiece. I can see it being my GOTY unless something really blows me away later.

Did anybody else notice
The Last of Us
Teaser? It is in the Chapter:
Epilogue

On
Cassie's
wardrobe door there is a Poster that says
"The Last of Us: American Daughters"
. I am at work and can not screenshot but if you care to look it is there I swear.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Did anybody else notice
The Last of Us
Teaser? It is in the Chapter:
Epilogue

On
Cassie's
wardrobe door there is a Poster that says
"The Last of Us: American Daughters"
. I am at work and can not screenshot but if you care to look it is there I swear.

Yeah it's known, pointed out many times.

btw I'm really bummed out about that Druckmann reveal in the interview that they planned to have
a first playful swordfight with Nathan and Sam in ch16, to introduce the mechanic. It would've also been great to have a connection from Nathan earliest years, to the conclusion of the series.
That would've been awesome, don't understand why they cut it.

Cubed

Ok fuck it I give up. After trying to beat the
jeep in the elevator
on crushed for two hours I just activated bullettime for easy headshot mode. Fuck that section.
It's not like it disables the trophy, so whatever. Unless you're Mr. Hardcore and must do it without gameplay modifiers, I say use all of the modifiers to your advantage. I used Bullettime for my whole Crushing playthrough and even used Slow Mo for the final fight.

Made it to chapter 20.
The game really shows how confident they've become as game designers and I'm loving every second of it.
Don't get the complaints about the ost either, the music during encounters is very intense, giving them a sense of urgency.
Emotional moments are punctuated by subtle but beautiful melodies.

The attention to detail is absolutely extraordinary, from the animation to the conversations that happen during ganeplay.

kyser73

My progess in DOOM keeps getting halted because I got sucked into another playthrough of this lol. I feel like the pacing works best if you only play a chapter or two at a time, since each chapter or pair of chapters seem to be paced as their own little chunk with escalation and climaxes (chapters 6&7, 8&9, etc).

It's really cool how there are lots of ways of progressing through the slower parts faster too.
t

Yeah, my playthrough was 1-3 chapter chunks out of necessity, and I really think it made me appreciate the game & paving more than if I'd ploughed through it in 2/3 long sessions.

t

Yeah, my playthrough was 1-3 chapter chunks out of necessity, and I really think it made me appreciate the game & paving more than if I'd ploughed through it in 2/3 long sessions.

Same for me, though I played it passing the controller back and forth with someone else. There were times where we'd feel bad that the other got stuck with a long climbing section or "point-and-click"-like segment.

It probably made the pacing seem worse considering there were a couple whole turns/chunks of play that were more of less combat free.

Cubed

To me, Uncharted 4 is the best of the series. It's not just that the graphics are better, it's the whole story - the way the characters interact and the treasure that they're going after. To me, a treasure hunt in movies/games should be about a legendary treasure; something of immeasurable wealth and the Libertalia Pirate Treasure is the largest fabled one in history. Uncharted 3 is a close second for me though, as the game's flow and set-pieces are some of the best in the series. I would almost say it's tied with Uncharted 4 to me. Uncharted 2 is next and then Uncharted 1, so I actually like them in reverse order. The Uncharted series is a rare example in my opinion, where the sequels get better as they go.

Bravo Naughty Dog, well done.

I agree with this 100%.

I've like each Uncharted better than the last.

derExperte

I already feel like trading this game in. It doesn't have the replayability of previous entries and I feel like I got everything I could out of it the first time. I respect ND for taking a new direction with the series but I think in this case it made for an overall worse game. Replay-ability's been shot to hell with all the slow sections.

Heh, finished it a couple of days ago and the whole game disappeared so fast from my memory that I totally forgot to put it up for sale until now, no chance I'll ever replay any of this. As bland and gutless as it's well produced. High time for everyone involved to move on.

Bluenoser

Just finished the game today. I was late starting, and after about 17+ hours, it's done on Hard mode.

I think people have gushed over the positives enough that I don't have to repeat them, but I will say the Epilogue was truly awe-inspiring. My jaw was on the floor, and my smile was ear to ear (if that combination is even possible).

Just fantastic story telling start to finish.

As for the cons, I only have some minor gripes.

- The treasure system was a bit more work, and more of a distraction than I would have liked. With the environments being larger in scale, scurrying around looking for treasure is more time consuming, and just not that fun to be honest. I found myself just wanting to continue with the adventure, and ignore the treasures.

- Some of the fire fights felt a bit unfair. Situations would arise where I was left with little ammo, and in a position that made it almost impossible to advance on enemies to gather more. I ended up getting through them all, but it was frustrating at times.

- They still haven't perfected the climbing/traversal. It's still awkward sometimes and leaves you getting frustrated that Drake won't grab the ledge 6 inches from his hand because you are pressing south south west on the analog instead of west south west. I would have liked that to have more of a flow by the 4th entry.

- Another gimmick
last boss. Not really enjoyable doing an exact copy of the Talbot fight with Rafe. I was hoping for something better.

- Glitched into the environment on one gunfight stage, and had to quit to checkpoint because I was stuck. This only happened once though, but I found it strange because I've never had that happen in any of the previous games.

Bottom line, this game is a masterpiece, with some minor flaws. An amazing sendoff for a series that will have a prominent place in video game history. Well done ND.

From the interview posted on Rolling Stone earlier:

Rolling Stone: Uncharted 4 has a trophy called "Ludonarrative Dissonance" for killing 1,000 people. That's a reference to the criticism that Nathan Drake doesn't respond emotionally to all the killing he does.
I told all the people on the team, "This is my proudest moment, the fact that I came up with this trophy on this project." We were conscious to have fewer fights, but it came more from a desire to have a different kind of pacing than to answer the "ludonarrative dissonance" argument.

ND: Because we don't buy into it. I've been trying to dissect it. Why is it that Uncharted triggers this argument, when Indiana Jones doesn't? Is it the number? It can't be just the number, because Indiana Jones kills more people than a normal person does. A normal person kills zero people. And Indiana Jones kills a dozen, at least, over the course of several movies. What about Star Wars? Han Solo and Luke Skywalker, are they some sort of serial killers? They laugh off having killed some stormtroopers. And in The Force Awakens, we see that a stormtrooper can actually repent for the person he is and come around, and there are actually real people under those helmets.

It's a stylized reality where the conflicts are lighter, where death doesn't have the same weight.

Like I've said before, the argument is horseshit.
Rest of the interview is here.

Raiden

Banned
My girlfriend got me this today and what dem fucks.. This shit looks incredible. Naughty Dog truly is the Rare of this generation. Goddamn and it plays like a dream as well.

witness

Just finished it. It was goddamn perfect, absolutely perfect. They couldn't have went out on a better note. Now I hope they let the series sleep.

i dont know how to feel my feelings right now

also fuck [chapter 18(?) or late game spoilers]
when Elena played dead after that fall in the cave. I about completely lost it.
Fuck you Naughty Dog. Fuck you. My emotions aren't meant to be toyed with like that!

eFKac

Just got the platinum.

Crushing difficulty is not that fun, cause the encounters limit your movements by your life going down very fast.

I love that you can add modifiers though, so much fun to play with and they don't disable trophies.

Gonna stick to the multiplayer for a bit, and then give it some rest.
I can already see this game being on yearly replay for me.

Inspired me to get the Uncharted collection as well, not ready to say goodbye to the franchise yet, it may be hard to go back though after this masterpiece.

mid83

I just finished the game and I'm literally speechless. What an amazing single player experience that was from beginning to end. Nobody in the business is able to pull me into a story like Naughty Dog does, especially with TLoU and now UC4. I can't wait to see what the future holds in terms of future games.

ND gets an A+ from me.

RDreamer

Crushing difficulty is not that fun, cause the encounters limit your movements by your life going down very fast.

I'm about halfway through and I'm doing things with a lot more mobility in my crushing run than my first time through on hard. A lot more. I still feel the game rewards run and gun and just being counter-intuitively crazy as hell even on crushing.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I just finished the game and I'm literally speechless. What an amazing single player experience that was from beginning to end. Nobody in the business is able to pull me into a story like Naughty Dog does, especially with TLoU and now UC4. I can't wait to see what the future holds in terms of future games.

ND gets an A+ from me.

208794_original.gif

sTiTcH AU

I finished the game yesterday and it was really good. I have no idea how people are speechless by it though. Like...it was good and everything, but nothing in there (story wise) was amazing or anything. It pretty much played out identical to every other Uncharted except
no supernatural stuff

I have a problem with the story in the tone department. Spoilers for the whole game here and TLoU:
When Drake realizes that Sam was lying about the whole ordeal, we get to see Drake at his most vulnerable. And then Sam pushes Nate to save him from the bullet showing how he still cares for his little brother. Yet, after that little set piece, we just cut to Nate explaining how he became a Drake to Elena. What? Why?

This is a director trick also utilized in TLoU, where after a major moment the scene skips ahead to a different time period and contiinues the story from there. The difference here was that the skip in time serves TLoU in its themes as Joel and Ellie keep moving forward no matter what obstacles or events they encounter. And the skips still convey important character moments like from Winter to Spring within Ellie.

My point is that this skip forward does nothing for Uncharted 4 but jar the audience because Nate suddenly goes from bad situation to just talking with Elena. Nothing important was conveyed and it just feels like cut content or something.

jtan

It's almost impossible to get some of these stealth trophies in Crushing. Spent an hour trying to do it but just decided I'll do it on easy 😒

Azzanadra

Where does Naughty Dog go from here? They could do a sequel to The last of Us, or try a new IP... maybe even something that is not a TPS.

I wouldn't mind a open world TLOU provided its more in the vein of say Shadow of the Colossus than Assassin's Creed... no map filled with icons, but rather a desolate and oppressive world that stands between you and whatever objective needs accomplishing.

Bladenic

I just finished Chapter 12. Holy shit. I'm so glad I didn't know about that chapter. Took so many screens. Favorite Uncharted level of all time.

My only wish is that
we could've driven to the island ourselves at the end but oh well.
Also missed quite a few treasures despite scouring so suckers must be well hidden, just means more exploring later.

JBwB

I cannot seem to get enough of this game. I've finished it 3 times already and whilst I've been burnt out playing it I find myself watching let's plays on youtube.
Seeing other peoples giddy reactions to certain gameplay encounters & cutscenes is really enjoyable.

I guess I'm experiencing what
Sam was talking about at the end of the game. That moment of satisfaction (finishing the story) and the emptiness that comes after.

Kyrios

Can't seem to get the "Run the Table" trophy for the life of me. Thought I did it perfectly: stealth kill, melee kill, headshot, then explosive kill, but nada.

Red Comet

Just beat the game. Absolutely fantastic all around. I've got to go back and beat UC 3 now since it's the only one I haven't finished yet, but I'm a bit burnt out after marathoning this the past couple of days.

Can't seem to get the "Run the Table" trophy for the life of me. Thought I did it perfectly: stealth kill, melee kill, headshot, then explosive kill, but nada.

This one seemed wonky for me too. I got it after a few tries though. Those 15 seconds go by real fast and make sure you're getting headshots and nothing else.

Just got the Platinum myself. It wouldn't have been so bad if some of the trophies weren't really dumb and required a lot of chapter replays/checkpointing/doing random shit in combat, but I mostly had fun doing it.

It's almost impossible to get some of these stealth trophies in Crushing. Spent an hour trying to do it but just decided I'll do it on easy ��

Trust me its not worth it. Enemies have perfect 20/20 vision and they'll gang up on you pretty fast. Just finished it and do the trophies through encounters. Seriously god bless ND for creating the encounter selection, it would have been such a drag to have to replay these huge chapters just to farm some trophies.

I loved the game but I felt Nadine's character to be a bit pointless. She didn't really add anything to the story apart from being the random merc for hire and a short boss fight early on.

well, she's the one who
walks away.
. She does add to the plot.

It's almost impossible to get some of these stealth trophies in Crushing. Spent an hour trying to do it but just decided I'll do it on easy ��

why you even trying on crushing?

Just got the platinum.

I love that you can add modifiers though, so much fun to play with and they don't disable trophies.

Gonna stick to the multiplayer for a bit, and then give it some rest.
I can already see this game being on yearly replay for me.

Inspired me to get the Uncharted collection as well, not ready to say goodbye to the franchise yet, it may be hard to go back though after this masterpiece.

So let me get this straight. If I play on crushing and enable infinite ammo for example, that doesn't disable trophies?

leng jai

Anyone else find it ironic that in The Last Of Us playing on Survivor greatly enhances the game play mechanics while in Uncharted it's the complete opposite? Even on hard you are pretty inhibited in what you can do and on Crushing you can basically forget doing anything fancy. Going through Crushing right now and it's just painful, stealth is especially ridiculous with how easily you're spotted from 10 years away.

valkyre

Anyone else find it ironic that in The Last Of Us playing on Survivor greatly enhances the game play mechanics while in Uncharted it's the complete opposite? Even on hard you are pretty inhibited in what you can do and on Crushing you can basically forget doing anything fancy. Going through Crushing right now and it's just painful, stealth is especially ridiculous with how easily you're spotted from 10 years away.

This is not true. Its hard as hell indeed, but it is supposed to be hard as hell. TLOU has a slower pace because it is the kind of game that its gameplay is built around a slower pace.

Its unfair to compare it directly to Uncharted, because Uncharted aims at crazy action altogether.

However, its not true that you cant do fancy stuff while playing on crushing.

This is from a fellow gaffer, playing on crushing, on the most difficult encounter of the game. And he does fancy stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZcVhWXLT5Y&feature=youtu.be

First time I played the game on hard I was pretty much on the same boat with you. But then I changed my approach and realized I was just not using the environment and the level design to my advantage. The game is practically inviting you to constantly move. This is the key to mastering its combat imo.

Top Bottom