• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

J-Skee

7V7CBqK.jpg

J-Skee

I hope the dlc is about
Nathan and Elena going legit archaeological discovery so the entire dlc is about puzzle solving with no combat at all. increase the puzzle difficulty level even more to the level of old Tomb Raider games

I like the idea of it being about
Henry Avery & seeing Libertalia is all of it's glory.

SenkiDala

You beast.

It's not that hard, I haven't played a LOT the UC games (finished all of them once, in normal, except for UC3 in hard), and I played UC4 on crushing at first playthrough (so couldn't use modifiers) and it was hard at some points, but not THAT hard, it's really doable.

Annoying as hell that you couldn't land a single punch on Nadine. Gimme a break. She needed to be punched so badly. It was also so predictable that she
wouldn't end up being the full bad guy and Rafe would

Shin-chan

Chapter 20 is just so good. The game needed one more chapter like it I think. The closest it gets is 9 and 11, but both of those open with exploration and puzzles. A good place for it could have been 15, which as it is is a brief scripted roller coaster. They should have included a few shootouts between all of the exploding buildings, it would have made for a nice upgrade of the collapsing building from Nepal in 2. It'd also help lead into the slowest chapter of the game.

d00d3n

I need help with a possible secret:
In the open world boat level, on the first island with a tower, Nathan remarks that there is a "door" and a large hollow space under some leaves. How do I open this "door"? I tried jumping from far up and crashing through it, but it didn't work.

I need help with a possible secret:
In the open world boat level, on the first island with a tower, Nathan remarks that there is a "door" and a large hollow space under some leaves. How do I open this "door"? I tried jumping from far up and crashing through it, but it didn't work.

It's part of the main story, can't miss it.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I honestly would not mind a
Sam Drake and Sully game

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Two people with no real emotional connection to one another would allow for more uninterrupted action
Well, it's implied that they work together in the ending and that they'd have plenty of time to develop one.

SolVanderlyn

hopefully not, unless whoever works on the series next realizes that stuff doesn't need to stifle the action
I suppose we have totally opposite views on what's appealing about this game then, haha

Shin-chan

Just finished up my second playthrough on hard this time. Overall I enjoyed it more than the first time, but some of the climbing sections do drag and there needed to be a handful more shootouts distributed throughout the story. I think Chapter 15 should be an evolution of the collapsing building instead of what it is, like I said above. It needed to be longer and more interactive. Chapter 12 should also have ended with a shootout to race back to the boat and then let you playthrough to the prologue. I think this sort of action packed sequence would offset many people's complaints with the chapter.

I liked the quiet chapters more this time around (mostly 12 and 21). I think this is an expectations thing more than anything else.

It had the potential to be the unquestionable best in the series but I think it just falls short. I'll definitely be playing it again in the near future but I might go through The Last of Us and Uncharted 2 again first.

Just finished up my second playthrough on hard this time. Overall I enjoyed it more than the first time, but some of the climbing sections do drag and there needed to be a handful more shootouts distributed throughout the story. I think Chapter 15 should be an evolution of the collapsing building instead of what it is, like I said above. It needed to be longer and more interactive. Chapter 12 should also have ended with a shootout to race back to the boat and then let you playthrough to the prologue. I think this sort of action packed sequence would offset many people's complaints with the chapter.

I liked the quiet chapters more this time around (mostly 12 and 21). I think this is an expectations thing more than anything else.

It had the potential to be the unquestionable best in the series but I think it just falls short. I'll definitely be playing it again in the near future but I might go through The Last of Us and Uncharted 2 again first.

Pretty much mirrors my thoughts on the game exactly. Totally agree with your propositions for chapters 12 and 15 as well. I think chapter 13 needed another encounter or two as well. That chapter should have been longer and more combat heavy to emphasize your isolation since that's pretty much the only part of the game where you're alone for an extended period of time.

Gono

Banned
Just got to the epilogue. 43 hours on Crushing. Took my sweeeet time with this one. Beautiful all the way through.
Some of the best shooting / stealth sections ever. Fantastic storyline and amazing performances. Though I missed a
supernatural twist at the end. Where were my pirate ghosts?

IIRC, my TLOU gameplay (Hard, Listen Mode off) was over 40 hours too.

Ps: I feel kinda bad now, knowing that the next ND game could very well be 2 or 3 years away. :(

Mik2121

Just got to the epilogue. 43 hours on Crushing. Took my sweeeet time with this one. Beautiful all the way through.
Some of the best shooting / stealth sections ever. Fantastic storyline and amazing performances. Though I missed a
supernatural twist at the end. Where were my pirate ghosts?

IIRC, my TLOU gameplay (Hard, Listen Mode off) was over 40 hours too.

Ps: I feel kinda bad now, knowing that the next ND game could very well be 2 or 3 years away. :(
Regarding your spoiler: Gone! And that's a good thing for me, haha! I prefer the more grounded to reality style.

Shin-chan

Pretty much mirrors my thoughts on the game exactly. Totally agree with your propositions for chapters 12 and 15 as well. I think chapter 13 needed another encounter or two as well. That chapter should have been longer and more combat heavy to emphasize your isolation since that's pretty much the only part of the game where you're alone for an extended period of time.

Yeah I agree with you about 13. 1. It seems like finding Sam is a bit too easy and you don't feel Drakes unease the same way you do in Chaper 21, although I do like the climbing in this chapter, 2. Fighting alone is refreshing because, as you say, you're constantly partnered up for the other chapters.

To help flesh the game out without altering the level designs/structure I think they could have injected a few 3-4 man patrols in some of the smaller areas - like the mansions of Chapter 18 or the abandoned villages. Even if they weren't open and were closer to 2 in design (I'm thinking of bits like the small room in the Monastary where there is the pistole guy with a shield and the stairs going up to the left with a sniper pistol guy, then just one other guy - not many enemies but a pretty varied encounter nevertheless) it would keep the excitement rolling.

Excited for what's to come for the game over the next year. Single player DLC and co-op modes - hopefully these have the action we're looking for.

Morts

Goddamn those
exploding mummies
on Crushing. The section right after
getting the master key from the corpse
is the least fun thing ever. Is there some trick I'm missing?

February 14th next year like the TLOU DLC

Bookmark this
The circumstances are different here since TLoU delivered a satisfactory amount of its core gameplay

If UC4's DLC is like Left Behind, then it will cement it as the Uncharted game for people who weren't actually fans of the series

Alienous

The circumstances are different here since TLoU delivered a satisfactory amount of its core gameplay

If UC4's DLC is like Left Behind, then it will cement it as the Uncharted game for people who weren't actually fans of the series

I seriously wonder if the DLC will even have a set-piece.

Theman2k

Goddamn those
exploding mummies
on Crushing. The section right after
getting the master key from the corpse
is the least fun thing ever. Is there some trick I'm missing?
First fo left in the enclove then jump back, then back and fast jump to enclove again. Its hard! Took me 20 tries on crushing.

So because I think Uncharted 4 is the best and I actually enjoyed the pacing means I wasn't really a fan of the rest of the series? I guess platinuming and constantly praising the first three wasn't enough to show that I'm a fan.

Alienous

So because I think Uncharted 4 is the best and I actually enjoyed the pacing means I wasn't really a fan of the rest of the series? I guess platinuming and constantly praising the first three wasn't enough to show that I'm a fan.

I don't think that's the point Spring is making.

Just that they didn't try to make a sequel to Uncharted 2 as much they just injected that game with The Last of Us elements.

It doesn't seem intent in being entertaining in the same way UC2 was, but rather in a UC-TLOU hybrid way.

Maybe my interpretation is wrong though.

I seriously wonder if the DLC will even have a set-piece.
The whole thing will be Elena and Nate's wedding in real time.

Druckmann: "this DLC captures the true essence of the Uncharted series, distilling what the games have always been about: walking around environments, and passively experiencing dialogue. There are three whole dialogue choices present during this side story, and because of runtime, we needed to eschew the filler from the game which only ever existed as an obligation. And of course, by that, I mean the combat and set-pieces. Just because there are buttons dedicated to shooting, taking cover and reloading doesn't mean Uncharted is about action. Among Thieves didn't receive accolades for its core gameplay.

"We've finally transcended the trappings of lowly video games and moved on to something more substantial: watching subdued, emotional events unfurl irrespective of your controller inputs."

Just that they didn't try to make a sequel to Uncharted 2 as much they just injected that game with The Last of Us elements.

It doesn't seem intent in being entertaining in the same way UC2 was, but rather in a UC-TLOU hybrid way.

That's pretty spot on.

I am salty as fuck tho, as is evident above

Drencrom

The thing that made "Left Behind" so powerful and unique was because it was pretty different compared to the TLOU base game. Having Uncharted 4's DLC surprise us in that regard would also be cool.

So yeah, I would definitely be okay with the DLC having more focus on action and such, not that I'm disappointed by the base campaign in that regard but I do think they should've squeezed in an big encounter or two through out the campaign

Alienous

I am salty as fuck tho, as is evident above

No, I get it. They sure did pick a heck of a time to 'mature' the franchise. Mechanically they had a really great base to expand on Uncharted 2 and its lack of restraint. But UC4 feels like it's holding itself back for the sake of being taken more seriously. But when I do take it seriously it's like... ok... I watched The Incredibles too,
Rapture with pirates
that's... neat. I don't think it's as smart as it thinks it is, and to eschew the tight core gameplay loop to express that narrative didn't seem all that worthwhile.

TLOU's pacing runs circles around UC4's.

Ricky_R

I'm at chapter 16, and you guys weren't kidding. The game looks fucking better as it goes on.

It's borderline photo-realistic at times. I don't understand how they could make this game look so good with the more open rich environments and effects, and end up with such a clean IQ.

This is one of the most visually impressive and consistent games I've ever seen. And the art direction is amazing... Every single area looks great. I can't imagine the amount of work these guys put in the game, and I'm only talking about the visual aspect.

That is the truth. It is a more glacial pace than Uncharted but its peaks and troughs are better balanced.

The downtime is also more engaging in TLOU. Instead of mashing X to climb endless cliffs, you can scavenge for items that drastically affect gameplay, hit up a weapon upgrade bench, etc. Just way better executed overall IMO.

Wish the DLC is more action packed.

Yeah my main complaint was not enough action because the combat mechanics are actually very good. Oh yeah the treasures were pretty worthless to find. I wish they added a little backstory for the items like Lara does in the last two Tomb Raider games. Still a great game though and my second favorite this generation behind Bloodborne.

Just completed it.
I always struggled with the previous 2 games, never played the first. I always found them fun to play, but a bit of a chore. It felt like it was never ending.
I'm not sure if the TLoU has changed my opinion of them now, but I really appreciated this game and felt like I didn't want it to end.
I have an unopened copy of the uncharted collection that has been sat on my shelf for ages, but I feel I will go through them now with a greater appreciation for them now.
I was blown away with how beautiful the environments looked. I can't wait to see what they do with TLoU 2.

I have to question reviews that praise the stealth of this game.

The stealth in Uncharted 4 feels antiquated. You can't distract or call enemies to you. You can sometimes escape once you've been found out, but that puts enemies into a patrol state that's very hard to predict, which combined with the large amount of enemies on harder difficulties, makes just shooting feel more efficient. The new addition, marking enemies, doesn't add much. Why can't I drag bodies into hiding places? Why can't I throw a rock to get a guard to turn around?

The stealth in Uncharted 4 feels antiquated. You can't distract or call enemies to you. You can sometimes escape once you've been found out, but that puts enemies into a patrol state that's very hard to predict, which combined with the large amount of enemies on harder difficulties, makes just shooting feel more efficient. The new addition, marking enemies, doesn't add much. Why can't I drag bodies into hiding places? Why can't I throw a rock to get a guard to turn around?
I like to think of the stealth simply as a way to plan and position yourself for an attack. Its still an action adventure game after all, not a stealth game.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

The bolded is one of the best things about the stealth.

I can see the benefits of throwing something to distract, but I like that you cannot hide bodies for the exact reason that other guards will find the body and then shit goes down.

I would love a DLC that goes back to the founding of Libertaria or something like that, playing as Henry Avery or Tew and doing pirate-y things. I don't see it happening, but finishing UC4 made me go play Assassin's Creed Rogue and I have really been enjoying it, might replay AC4 Black Flag next.

re: crushing difficulty, the one thing I wish I had done was play the game on normal my first time and then do crushing with bullet time cheat turned on. Crushing is just bullshit in a few chapters, and even the rest of the fights its basically just "get behind a wall, hope you don't get 1 shot". It really detracts from the game enjoyment imo for most people.

I traded my game into gamestop for $48 (50% trade bonus if you buy doom), sorta regret it already since I did sorta enjoy multiplayer. Will rebuy digitally when it drops to $30 or less though, or if they release a GOTY with all DLCs.

Top Bottom