• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

just beat the game

i liked the story and the environments were gorgeous but combat actually felt worse than the last few games, and the platforming, apart from a few sections, wasn't as good either. I honestly felt like it was at it's best when being a walking simulator

i guess my series rating would be 2 >= 1 = 4 >*infinity 3

I'm genuinely curious what you found worse about the combat and platforming. Those are two areas I can confidently say are improvements over their previous titles, so I'd like to hear the perspective of someone who disagrees.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

I'm genuinely curious what you found worse about the combat and platforming. Those are two areas I can confidently say are improvements over their previous titles, so I'd like to hear the perspective of someone who disagrees.

perhaps i'm misremembering but i remember there being actual combos in previous uncharted games which made melee more interactive. For the platforming, so many times you'd jump to a ledge and it would shift or snap and then... nothing. Just keep on climbing up as always. eventually it just gets boring. I did like the spike climbing sections at least. Again, it's been a long time since i played the old uncharted games so perhaps i'm remembering the platforming and combat being better than they were, but at the very least I didn't find those aspects of the game particularly impressive.

EDIT: what was up with the weird
one piece pirate symbol thingy introduced in libertalia? It just seems like it was dropped without any explanation.

Uncharted 4 is the greatest action-adventure game I've ever played.

Uncharted 4 is the greatest action-adventure game ever made.

Neil Druckmann and Bruce Straley are the new Shigeru Miyamoto and Hideo Kojima.

Naughty Dog is the new boss, the new best and the new hotness.

Just sayin'.

Fitts

Just finished it. Really enjoyed the story from start to finish. Both the traversal and shooting sections got a bit tiresome for me toward the end, but the story and incredibly detailed environments kept me moving forward. It's also the first time I can recall being truly wowed by a game's visuals on a technical level since the original Halo. I scrutinized the hell out of the visuals in the early going and it wasn't until I encountered the water splashing effect whilst swimming that I noticed something "off."

Very highly recommended for at least a single playthrough. The narrative isn't perfect, but it's definitely one of my favorites from a game.

J-Skee

This game is so gorgeous. Took some screenshots but couldn't figure out which filters I liked best.

oSKlTIc.jpg

aFn7Ysm.jpg

Ie9tSm9.jpg

B30JHEN.jpg

But then I forgot to take the menu off of this one SMH

xKRajbn.jpg

Definitely thinking of playing tourist after I'm done chasing the platinum.

Future

Just finished it

Combat on hard mode was pretty much a drag. Any fight with armored goons always just seemed silly. If win eventually but so many deaths without ever seeing a fun strategy emerge. dissapointing to see that gun combat scenarios didn't really improve much here, although the close combat stuff seemed a bit better

But in terms of storytelling and a movie like experience.... Nothing beats this. Awesome moments throughout that often bled back into gameplay. Amazingly crafted experience that is deserving of high scores. There aren't any companies that can really get close to this either. Only GTA gives me enjoyable narrative and dialogue mixed with gameplay like this.

Since I am a masochist I might try crushing just for a bit with some gameplay mods. How does shit like bullet time work? Whenever you go into aim? Is it metered?

x-Lundz-x

Just finished first play through on crushing finally. What an incredible masterpiece of a game, but holy shit the late game was incredibly hard. I was raging on a few fights but the payoff in the end was so worth it.

Hats off ND for another unbelievable adventure. The game ended so perfectly as well, I'm very content if this is indeed the last uncharted game.

beat it a couple days ago, on my second run now, what a great game, my jaw is on the floor with every new location they revealed. like I can't imagine this level of visual with the huuuge area is possible.

anyway, great game, great ending, and a perfect way to end the series. but, in topic of where they could go from this if they make another Uncharted

I think Drake goes legit and doing stuff legally didn't really stop the possibility of new Uncharted game starring him. I mean, Indiana Jones is legit archaeologist too, it just happen what they're after are being chased by the bad guy too. so there are shootout etc.

him going through stuff legally didn't make the job any less dangerous with all the traps this ancient city or tombs have.

Curufinwe

just beat the game

i liked the story and the environments were gorgeous but combat actually felt worse than the last few games, and the platforming, apart from a few sections, wasn't as good either. I honestly felt like it was at it's best when being a walking simulator

i guess my series rating would be 2 >= 1 = 4 >*infinity 3

On Normal/Moderate I thought the combat was much better than 3 which too often degenerated into an annoying fuck fest.

Curufinwe

Just finished it

Combat on hard mode was pretty much a drag. Any fight with armored goons always just seemed silly. If win eventually but so many deaths without ever seeing a fun strategy emerge. dissapointing to see that gun combat scenarios didn't really improve much here, although the close combat stuff seemed a bit better

But in terms of storytelling and a movie like experience.... Nothing beats this. Awesome moments throughout that often bled back into gameplay. Amazingly crafted experience that is deserving of high scores. There aren't any companies that can really get close to this either. Only GTA gives me enjoyable narrative and dialogue mixed with gameplay like this.

Since I am a masochist I might try crushing just for a bit with some gameplay mods. How does shit like bullet time work? Whenever you go into aim? Is it metered?

Not metering. You can use it as often as you like. I got up to Chapter 10 on Crushing before trading the game, mainly just using lock on. Bullet time helped at the end of chapter 7.

My wife still has her copy so when I feel like getting back to the grind of following treasure guides I'll resume my Crushing run.

perhaps i'm misremembering but i remember there being actual combos in previous uncharted games which made melee more interactive. For the platforming, so many times you'd jump to a ledge and it would shift or snap and then... nothing. Just keep on climbing up as always. eventually it just gets boring. I did like the spike climbing sections at least. Again, it's been a long time since i played the old uncharted games so perhaps i'm remembering the platforming and combat being better than they were, but at the very least I didn't find those aspects of the game particularly impressive.

EDIT: what was up with the weird
one piece pirate symbol thingy introduced in libertalia? It just seems like it was dropped without any explanation.

I think you're misremembering. Drake's Fortune was the only Uncharted to have melee combos, and tbh I don't think they added anything to the game, and there were only two. 3 had a grab/throw melee button, but that wasn't very useful. Uncharted 4 also got rid of the counters, and replaced them with much more frequent struggles with the enemies which I think is a much better change since it feels more tense and adds more interactivity to the melee than the occasional counter with the super huge slow motion melee window. Uncharted 4's melee animations are god like too, and the fact you can KO off of rope swings, or any jump, makes it crazy satisfying.

The platforming is probably even more improved than the melee too. There are lot more paths, better animations, the rope, pitan, slides, vehicles, and a large quantity of little traversal puzzles, where each platforming section has a slight twist on how you need to use the mechanics.

The
pirate symbol thingy in Libertalia is the symbol the colonists used after they formed their clandestine rebellion to take down the founders who stole their gold

Quick

Banned
I'm on a bit of a trophy hunting mood - I've only finished the game on Moderate, how much higher does the difficulty crank up from that to Crushing?

KRaZyAmmo

I'm on a bit of a trophy hunting mood - I've only finished the game on Moderate, how much higher does the difficulty crank up from that to Crushing?
Some of the encounters you will come up to will be ABSOLUTE BULLSH*T. Particularly chapter 13 and 20. Chapter 13 Crushing encounter is gonna make you rage.

Dominator

If you just care about trophies, unlock the Barrock pistol (I think that's how you spell it, it's been a few weeks since I've played. It's one of the gold ones.) and infinite ammo. You'll breeze through Crushing quite easily. Mix that with auto aim and you'll almost never die if you're smart about cover.

Curufinwe

If you just care about trophies, unlock the Barrock pistol (I think that's how you spell it, it's been a few weeks since I've played. It's one of the gold ones.) and infinite ammo. You'll breeze through Crushing quite easily. Mix that with auto aim and you'll almost never die if you're smart about cover.

That's a good tip. Might do that for my six hour/70% run, too.

RDreamer

I've done the same with U2 and U3. All Crushing difficulty without modifiers. Also I did U4's Crushing without Lock-on and bullet time.

Yeah I did Uc1-3 on crushing all without modifiers or anything. As much as I'm tempted here, I gotta keep that streak going. On chapter 17 now and it hasn't been so horrendous.

KRaZyAmmo

Yeah I did Uc1-3 on crushing all without modifiers or anything. As much as I'm tempted here, I gotta keep that streak going. On chapter 17 now and it hasn't been so horrendous.

Oddly enough UC1 is the only one I haven't beaten on Crushing. I can't do the six axis motion grenade throws. Those irritated me more than anything in UC1.

Just got the platinum. Crushing was a bitch in certain areas, especially chapter 13. Thank god you could use cheats, cause I probably wouldn't've gotten through some sections without them. Rest of the trophies weren't too bad, thankfully.

Neiteio

Just reached Ch. 19. Two recurring thoughts:

- The setting of Ch. 13-19 (and counting) is just insanely detailed, and I mean INSANELY detailed. Like everyone should see this game just to appreciate the sheer level of detail.

- On a less positive note, this domestic dispute feels really undercooked.

Just finished the game. Bravo Naughty Dog. An excellent game and a fitting end to the series. There was definitely a change in focus as it was even more narratively driven than before, but still had some good action sequences even if the set pieces weren't quite at the same level as previous entries. Bring on the DLC. Not sure what they can do with it, but it is not to be missed

I hate having experiences like these. An incredible ride that is completely contagious, its going to be a while before I stop thinking about the game to the point of annoyance.

Just finished the game. Bravo Naughty Dog. An excellent game and a fitting end to the series. There was definitely a change in focus as it was even more narratively driven than before, but still had some good action sequences even if the set pieces weren't quite at the same level as previous entries. Bring on the DLC. Not sure what they can do with it, but it is not to be missed

I hope the dlc is about
Nathan and Elena going legit archaeological discovery so the entire dlc is about puzzle solving with no combat at all. increase the puzzle difficulty level even more to the level of old Tomb Raider games

Top Bottom