• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

pr0cs

I enjoyed the game the graphics and ambiance of some of the areas are really well done but I'll echo the statement that the traversals is really poor (mash x until you get to the top)

I found most of the puzzles not challenging at all.

Some of the plot devices are mind numbing bad as well. (you have no way to join me over the wall even though I have a rope I've been using throughout the story and laughably use 20 seconds after you say you can't get over the wall).. Smacks of terrible writing really.

To be honest the writing is probably the weakest part of the game. The ending is sugary safe.

A bit disappointed really, on a technical level the game is amazing but for the game itself it's really weak.

Debating whether or not I even want to try crushing or speed run sadly.

AmuroChan

I was disappointed too. Not that
it was a happy ending, but that it was about as generic and, as you put it, 'safe' of an ending anyone could come up with. It's vapid. Considering that TLOU had a divisive ending this is on the complete opposite end of the spectrum - this is the kind of ending a studio exec would suggest.

I think they went with a safe ending because this is their last one and it makes it easier for whichever developer picks up Uncharted next. Probably nobody knows yet what UC5 will be, whether it'd be a continuation with Cassie or a brand new story with a new cast. If you make the ending divisive like TLOU's, then the new developer may feel the need to address it or fans may expect that from the next game, which wouldn't be fair to them because it's not their story. TLOU's divisive ending makes sense because ND knows they'd be the ones making the next one. So they're prepared to progress the story in that direction.

We need to start a petition or something for Naughty Dog to patch Chapter 11 encounter select to allow for the whole thing to be played in one go.
Yes. Jesus Christ what were they thinking

Let the goddamn encounter select just dump me straight back into the game instead of kicking me out right at the last kill. It's not like there's any leveling or inventory it has to keep track of, so ...

Davide

Spoiled the ending for myself before I finished and
I was really disappointed with the ending and Nate not dying. In the end when I played it I thought this was actually a great note to leave the series on, but still had some reservations. The first half of the game seems to have the message that Nate needs to stop this adventuring life - but then he goes back to it with Elena with the Malaysia job?

(on the ending)

Spoiled the ending for myself before I finished and I was really disappointed with the ending and Nate not dying. In the end when I played it I thought this was actually a great note to leave the series on, but still had some reservations. The first half of the game seems to have the message that Nate needs to stop this adventuring life - but then he goes back to it with Elena with the Malaysia job?

It's more of a safe outlet for Nate's adventuring desires. A good compromise between a normal life and being shot at by mercenaries and pirates. I liked it!

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Spoiled the ending for myself before I finished and
I was really disappointed with the ending and Nate not dying. In the end when I played it I thought this was actually a great note to leave the series on, but still had some reservations. The first half of the game seems to have the message that Nate needs to stop this adventuring life - but then he goes back to it with Elena with the Malaysia job?

Both Nate and Elena missed the adventuring life and the way their future went was the perfect compromise. Legal expeditions.

Alienous

I think they went with a safe ending because this is their last one and it makes it easier for whichever developer picks up Uncharted next. Probably nobody knows yet what UC5 will be, whether it'd be a continuation with Cassie or a brand new story with a new cast. If you make the ending divisive like TLOU's, then the new developer may feel the need to address it or fans may expect that from the next game, which wouldn't be fair to them because it's not their story. TLOU's divisive ending makes sense because ND knows they'd be the ones making the next one. So they're prepared to progress the story in that direction.

I think their approach to the ending was
wrap the series up in a bow. "That's it, it's done". If they cared at all about another developer picking the series up they would have left the epilogue out. They wanted to have the last Uncharted be on their terms but they don't really come up with anything but a generic conclusion.

It's just weak, IMO.

I enjoyed the game the graphics and ambiance of some of the areas are really well done but I'll echo the statement that the traversals is really poor (mash x until you get to the top)

I found most of the puzzles not challenging at all.

Some of the plot devices are mind numbing bad as well. (you have no way to join me over the wall even though I have a rope I've been using throughout the story and laughably use 20 seconds after you say you can't get over the wall).. Smacks of terrible writing really.

To be honest the writing is probably the weakest part of the game. The ending is sugary safe.

A bit disappointed really, on a technical level the game is amazing but for the game itself it's really weak.

Debating whether or not I even want to try crushing or speed run sadly.

It's a big stretch to say the writing is the weakest part of the game considering some of the game's other faults, but the "safeness" makes the story-focus incredibly disappointing. We trudge through all the bloat in the game just to get that ending. You'd think they would've gone for a more impactful ending and memorable story overall.

I think their approach to the ending was
wrap the series up in a bow. "That's it, it's done". If they cared at all about another developer picking the series up they would have left the epilogue out. They wanted to have the last Uncharted be on their terms but they don't really come up with anything but a generic conclusion.

It's just weak, IMO.

Yeah, I doubt it had anything to do with making the 4's ending more palatable for
another developer to take the reigns. Seemed exactly like a "We're done" kind of thing.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
It's a big stretch to say the writing is the weakest part of the game considering some of the game's other faults, but the "safeness" makes the story-focus incredibly disappointing. We trudge through all the bloat in the game just to get that ending. You'd think they would've gone for a more impactful ending and memorable story overall.

The ending was impactful though. Maybe you and others didn't find it, but a lot of people actually like the ending.

You don't need death to make an impact.

Regarding the final boss, Uncharted 2 is still my favorite. It's the only final boss fight in the series that challenges you on the meat of the game - platforming, shooting, running, slight cover and a bit of puzzle solving (as if anything in Uncharted is really a puzzle). I also love of the design feels so old school like a boss fight straight out of Crash/Jak/Sly or whatever. Yet to my surprise everyone hated it so what do I know?

Uncharted Drakes Fortune isn't too bad either if you consider the entire boat scene the boss fight. It's still challenging you on the core off the game with that one being more cover shooter, and there's a bit of puzzle solving learning the behavior and rhythm of the boss.

Uncharted 3 is my most hated final boss. Uncharted isn't a brawler and the fight simply wasn't fun and not based around the core of the game, but to be fair they did have a lot of brawling scenes in Uncharted 3 (none of which were fun, to me).

Uncharted 4's final boss kinda falls into the same trap as 3,but at least it looked cool with the setting.

The ending was impactful though. Maybe you and others didn't find it, but a lot of people actually like the ending.

Yeah, I'd say the majority liked the ending.

It would have felt extremely out of place to feature one of the main protagonists dying.

The ending was perfect. Not many developers get to end a franchise on their terms. Lets hope Sony respects NDs ending and allow a few years to pass before looking into doing something else with the series.

Regarding the final boss, Uncharted 2 is still my favorite. It's the only final boss fight in the series that challenges you on the meat of the game - platforming, shooting, running, slight cover and a bit of puzzle solving (as if anything in Uncharted is really a puzzle). I also love of the design feels so old school like a boss fight straight out of Crash/Jak/Sly or whatever. Yet to my surprise everyone hated it so what do I know?

Uncharted Drakes Fortune isn't too bad either if you consider the entire boat scene the boss fight. It's still challenging you on the core off the game with that one being more cover shooter, and there's a bit of puzzle solving learning the behavior and rhythm of the boss.

Uncharted 3 is my most hated final boss. Uncharted isn't a brawler and the fight simply wasn't fun and not based around the core of the game, but to be fair they did have a lot of brawling scenes in Uncharted 3 (none of which were fun, to me).

Uncharted 4's final boss kinda falls into the same trap as 3,but at least it looked cool with the setting.

Yeah, 2's was fine. It could've stood t be a bit shorter, but it f you just shoot him and throw grenades at him when he's hit by the blue explosions, it goes quicker.

gamerMan

I love exploring Nate's house in UC4, Joel's house in TLoU, etc.

I'd buy a Naughty Dog game where you just tour homes.

Neil Druckmann could be your realtor.

So true. Naughty Dog could create a whole other genre, You could tour houses or even real world locations. I think this would totally work with VR. You are put in a world armed with just a camera. No guns, no rope, no bad guys, no story. Just you, the world, and the camera.

Alienous

So true. Naughty Dog could create a whole other genre, You could tour houses or even real world locations. I think this would totally work with VR. You are put in a world armed with just a camera. No guns, no rope, no bad guys, no story. Just you, the world, and the camera.

I had a similar thought.

"I'm not so impressed with sightseeing these locations now, but if Naughty Dog want to do a VR virtual sightseeing experience that could be cool".

I liked UC3 for that entire final boss-battle sequence. Platforming on those crumbled platforms being shifted by sand, brawling, and some light shooting. It felt like a decent combination of the game's core elements.

The only thing is that Talbot isn't that great of a character.

You all are free to like it, but
it was such a straightfoward ending that it didn't leave much of a mark on me. It just didn't make the journey feel worth it. Not necessarily talking about death either.

psychotron

Noticed something very cool last night when playing through a second time.
When you're in Nate's house the first time, when in his bathroom, zoom in on the mirror on the left and he'll point at himself. Then move to the right mirror and zoom in and he does something similar. Keep going back and forth and he does it a few times. Very cool.

I enjoyed the game, but I have to say that Chapter 20 is one of the few times the game actually feels like an Uncharted game. It felt like 90% of Uncharted 4's combat opened with stealth in a giant, labyrinthian area. I loved being dropped into a batshit crazy situation and having to fight out of it, which is why I enjoyed Chapters 12 and 20 so much.

joms5

You're right.

But when you
call the game "A Thief's End", insinuate that Nathan's brother died during the prison escape, joke that Elena dies and then set up that Sam is going to die for real this time at the end giving up his life so that Nathan can escape, it feels really cheap that they couldn't pull the trigger.

You're right.

But when you
call the game "A Thief's End", insinuate that Nathan's brother died during the prison escape, joke that Elena dies and then set up that Sam is going to die for real this time at the end giving up his life so that Nathan can escape, it feels really cheap that they couldn't pull the trigger.

I agree with this. Sam totally should've died. Maybe it was in the cards at some point but they just thought it silly to introduce a character and kill him in one game, which has some merit. However, he was a liar and an obsessive thief. He should've sunk with Rafe and the point would've been driven home. Guess he gets to go push Sully around in his inevitable wheelchair though.

Yeah, I'd say the majority liked the ending.

It would have felt extremely out of place to feature one of the main protagonists dying.

The ending was perfect. Not many developers get to end a franchise on their terms. Lets hope Sony respects NDs ending and allow a few years to pass before looking into doing something else with the series.

I don't know if I'd call it perfect but I liked the ending and agree that
killing one of the characters would be out of place. We're talking about a game where the protaganist makes jokes while gunning down dozens of people, snapping people's necks, pushing them off cliffs, etc.
It's a light hearted adventure, it's like Indiana Jones (Indy 3 spoiler incoming)
literally riding off into the sunset at the end of the Last Crusade, that movie would not have worked as well if Indy's dad died.

I think it all fits together though and liked the epilogue. The one thing I didn't like was
Sam and Sully continuing their life of illicit adventure and apparently being none the worse for it.
Had they left that out and not even mentioned what happens I would've liked it more.

ok ok , chapter 13 on crushing difficulty is something i must admit .... the last section is complete WTF in term of difficulty. Those aren't mercenaries , but super soldiers.

Oh and f**k you ,
dude with the machine gun, i hate you SO MUCH

joms5

I agree with this. Sam totally should've died. Maybe it was in the cards at some point but they just thought it silly to introduce a character and kill him in one game, which has some merit. However, he was a liar and an obsessive thief. He should've sunk with Rafe and the point would've been driven home. Guess he gets to go push Sully around in his inevitable wheelchair though.

This is exactly what the game was missing.
Nate needed true loss to exit the treasure hunting life (or the seedy side of it anyway) Just a threat by Elena shouldn't be enough. Well it should. But it isn't. Nate needs to see first hand what can happen when you don't call it quits. And losing his brother for real this time, right in front of his eyes should have been the catalyst.

Think about how much more meaningful playing that prologue would have been when your daughter comes across the Polaroid picture of you and Sam. Imagine the look on Nate and Elena's face when Cassie asks who that is. Nate could say "The man who saved my life." Hard cut to Uncharted 4 title card.

It would have been so generic though, I was fully expecting Sam to die and was pleasantly surprised when Nate thought on his feet of a way to save him.

AudioEppa

Finished the game about a hour ago.

It was the best of the whole series and now my new favorite game of all time.

Sam was awesome, but Nate and Elena's relationship carried the game for me.

Their moment in the room with all the dead pirates at the table had me dropping a few tears, their writing was just on point.

I'm really happy they got a good ending. As much as I loved the last of us, this game didn't need for anyone to die. Killing someone off needs to stop being the go to for something to be memorable and I really like how the writers knew people might be expecting someone to die and used it to their advantage to create intense moments.

And that ending with the girl, wow didn't see that coming and I love walking in ND houses, they really put a lot into making realistic set pieces like that. I wanna see more of it in future games.

Overall the game is a masterpiece, a goddamn masterpiece.

Neiteio

Credits rolling.

Regarding epilogue:
In the second house, I rummaged through the closet before exploring the rest of the house, so I didn't get to see what else is in there. :/

Not really sure how I feel about this game. It felt pretty weak in terms of themes, character motivation and character development. Cheesy, even. Hmm...

Gameplay was pretty fun. Best part was the graphics and art direction, especially the environmental detail.

Mik2121

Nate needed true loss to exit the treasure hunting life (or the seedy side of it anyway) Just a threat by Elena shouldn't be enough. Well it should. But it isn't. Nate needs to see first hand what can happen when you don't call it quits. And losing his brother for real this time, right in front of his eyes should have been the catalyst.

Think about how much more meaningful playing that prologue would have been when your daughter comes across the Polaroid picture of you and Sam. Imagine the look on Nate and Elena's face when Cassie asks who that is. Nate could say "The man who saved my life." Hard cut to Uncharted 4 title card.

I don't think Uncharted needs to be that dramatic, though. The whole series was lighthearted, having such an ending would have felt very weird. They already got the more serious stuff with The Last of Us, no need for all games to be the same.

It would have been so generic though, I was fully expecting Sam to die and was pleasantly surprised when Nate thought on his feet of a way to save him.

I think if executed well my ending for Sam would've been more valuable thematically and to the overall arc of the game than Nate shooting a cannon. I couldn't care less about something being generic if it's done well.

I don't think Uncharted needs to be that dramatic, though. The whole series was lighthearted, having such an ending would have felt very weird. They already got the more serious stuff with The Last of Us, no need for all games to be the same.

While I agree Uncharted doesn't need to be dramatic, it fits in with the rest of the game and it's level of drama and themes. In other words, if I'm working with the fact that the game's entire story is about losing yourself to the allure of treasure hunting and I'm told to write the ending, I'd write Sam to die.

Neiteio

The ending we got is
already generic -- a generic Disney ending. Only unlike a Disney movie, the characters didn't really change much from where they started, and nothing really feels earned. Nate kinda hurts Elena; Elena kinda has no trouble forgiving him; Sam kinda learns nothing; Sully is kinda just there; Nadine kinda just loses interest; Rafe is just... whatever at the end. None of the heroes really lose or gain anything, emotionally or in terms of character growth. And then the ending just keeps piling on how perfect everything is, which is nice, but... what's the lesson? The takeaway? "Adventure for a while, then cash in your pirate gold and buy beachfront property?"

Man, it's all so... limp.

Lernaean

Banned
The ending we got is
already generic -- a generic Disney ending. Only unlike a Disney movie, the characters didn't really change much from where they started, and nothing really feels earned. Nate kinda hurts Elena; Elena kinda has no trouble forgiving him; Sam kinda learns nothing; Sully is kinda just there; Nadine kinda just loses interest; Rafe is just... whatever at the end. None of the heroes really lose or gain anything, emotionally or in terms of character growth. And then the ending just keeps piling on how perfect everything is, which is nice, but... what's the lesson? The takeaway? "Adventure for a while, then cash in your pirate gold and buy beachfront property?"

My exact thoughts.
I was excited when i started, then every minute passing i liked it less.
I also thought they did better with the gameplay this time, but never really let you enjoy that gameplay.

Not going to bother reading the negative opinions, but this game was amazing. Not as good as the second game, but still a masterpiece, again. Glad I bought a PS4.

On another note, this is actually the first 8th game I've really played. Wow, lol.

Eccocid

The ending we got is

Exactly, while scene to scene game was fun and interesting but overall its very shallow and forgettable. Another big fault is undeveloped villians. They have like total what 5 minutes of screen time. Why ND insists of telling story only from Nate's eyes? They could have used some extra cutscenes showing villians and giving them more development. I was excited for Nadia, now cant reemember anything at all about her.

Javin98

Banned

I'm sure glad you didn't write the script for this game. That last part is cringe worthy.

Neiteio

I will say, though, putting aside my criticisms of the story for a moment, I'm replaying some chapters that I thought were poorly paced and actually having more fun the second time around. I just knocked out Ch. 8 and Ch. 9 at record speed.

Javin98

Banned
:lol

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought so. What a terrible ending that would've been.
Haha, I don't mean to be terribly harsh, but it is what it is. It wouldn't be out of place for a Metal Gear Solid game, but for a ND game? I would throw my controller at the TV if that happened.

lawtowler

I disagree with this,
if his brother died I don't think Nate would have the incentive find a career in adventuring/expedition legally. I think that was intentional. The point is that both he and Elena were born for that life and only truly felt at home when they were out adventuring again. They tried to settle down in to a normal life and neither of them were 100% happy with it deep down.
I just can't see that ending panning out the same with Sam dying. They would have gone back to the non-adventurous life style and never been truly happy. All IMO ofc.

black070

Everyone was calling foul when
all the marketing made the game out to be dark and dire.
Now that the game is out and proves otherwise, people are still not happy.

Everyone was calling foul when
all the marketing made the game out to be dark and dire.
Now that the game is out and proves otherwise, people are still not happy.
Given the story that was set up, they ended up only striking copper instead of gold. It's not that I wanted it to be this or that. I wanted them to capitalize on whatever they were trying to do and the
happy ending
makes the struggle feel weightless in retrospect.

Haha, I don't mean to be terribly harsh, but it is what it is. It wouldn't be out of place for a Metal Gear Solid game, but for a ND game? I would throw my controller at the TV if that happened.

You read my mind. I was actually gonna add a "paging Kojima" comment to my last post but decided not too.

That's exactly who I thought of when I read the proposed ending.
Given the story that was set up, they ended up only striking copper instead of gold. It's not that I wanted it to be this or that. I wanted them to capitalize on whatever they were trying to do and the
happy ending

You don't need what your asking for for a game to have weight. That's an incredibly simplistic way of looking at it.

Javin98

Banned
happy ending
Obviously, ND wanted the marketing to be a red herring to what they planned. Even Neil Druckmann confirmed it himself.

Also, as a post in jest, does anyone else think ND was plain showing off with the visuals on display? First it was the model viewer then the later parts of the game looked exceptionally good.
The final boss fight
looked straight up CGI to me despite its performance issues. We get it, ND, it's the best looking game out now. :p

You read my mind. I was actually gonna add a "paging Kojima" comment to my last post but decided not too.

LOL, we both have a lot in common it seems. You and I also found MGSV amazing because of the gameplay and we don't whine about the story.

You don't need what your asking for for a game to have weight. That's an incredibly simplistic way of looking at it.
I know. I don't need Drake to be covered in the blood of his loved ones for the story to have weight. But
Uncharted 4 is all about the concept that treasure hunting has eroded the lives of some of these characters and now more than ever they are going too far. Sam has a free ride home but instead decides to run back in like a nut like Rafe. The fact that he gets out free due to Drake being an action hero and then continues to adventure after the game ends feels antithetical to the idea that treasure hunting takes a toll. Oh, I guess more fun adventures with Sully. What exactly was all that drama for again? Sam's character gets wasted at the finished line. That's how I feel about how the game ended specifically in relation to how it was setup.
It was a nothing ending honestly the more I think about it. It fits the franchise well but not Uncharted 4.

I know. I don't need Drake to be covered in the blood of his loved ones for the story to have weight. But
Uncharted 4 is all about the concept that treasure hunting has eroded the lives of some of these characters and now more than ever they are going too far. Sam has a free ride home but instead decides to run back in like a nut like Rafe. The fact that he gets out free due to Drake being an action hero and then continues to adventure after the game ends feels antithetical to the idea that treasure hunting takes a toll. Oh, I guess more fun adventures with Sully. What exactly was all that drama for again? Sam's character gets wasted at the finished line. That's how I feel about how the game ended specifically in relation to how it was setup.
It was a nothing ending honestly the more I think about it. It fits the franchise well but not Uncharted 4.

I don't know what to tell you. You seem to want a
character to die
to really drill home the themes where as I think it's unnecessary. The character evolution was plenty to add
weight. Drake's outlook changed considerably over the course of the game. You don't really need to add a death to make it have more weight. Sure, they could've. But it wasn't needed. And the game was better off without one.

Top Bottom