• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

I don't know what to tell you. You seem to want a
character die
to really drill home the themes where as I think it's unnecessary. The character evolution was plenty to add
weight. Drake's outlook changed considerably over the course of the game. You don't really need to add a death to make it have weight. Sure, they couldve. But it wasn't needed.
I don't think it was needed either, but what we got was not a compromise. Sam lies to Nate half the game to get his adventure blood pumping, runs off to claim his pirate treasure over the psycho Rafe, and basically runs off again with Sully despite everything that happened. Okay, so he didn't need to die. Thankfully Drake knew how to cannon. But Sam just becomes a happy memory for Drake and Elena to look back on so ND can end their series on a high note. Oh, look at the nice pictures of him and Sully hanging out! And I wanted the game to have a happy ending going into it, but not at the cost of any semblence on following through with characters and themes at the finish line.

I don't think it was needed either, but what we got was not a compromise. Sam lies to Nate half the game to get his adventure blood pumping, runs off to claim his pirate treasure over the psycho Rafe, and basically runs off again despite everything that happened. Okay, so he didn't need to die. Thankfully Drake knew how to cannon. But Sam just becomes a happy memory for Drake and Elena to look back on so ND can end their series on a high note. And I wanted the game to have a happy ending, but not at the cost of any semblence on following through with characters and themes.

But it's not as if Sam just got away scott free. That was also part of the story that tied everything together. He wasted 15 years of his life in jail trying to get a treasure that his brother had forgotten about (and Sam with it) and at the end, he only got a bit. Killing the character ontop of his existing arc doesn't seem like a good idea to me at all because it barely accomplishes much more then the game already did with his arc.

Alienous

The problem with the ending is that
it trades its message for a happy ending. Obsession doesn't get the better of anyone but Rafe. Nate got involved firmly to save his brother, even if he enjoyed doing so. Sam got involved because of his obsession, and not only gets off scot-free, but seemingly keeps living a dangerous lifestyle with Sully and manages to live another 13 years (or however old Cassie Cage grows up to be). It's just as weak as an ending could be to that drama. Drake doesn't even lose the use of a single limb.

It's uninspired to the point that I'd argue they shouldn't have bothered. It'll just be forgotten.

Yea I think I'll agree to disagree. I don't agree with the basic premise you guys are basing your opinion on so there's no point really.

Kaswa101

Wow some people really have terrible ideas of what an ideal ending would have been lol.
Drake losing a limb? Sam dying? To what end? It doesn't fit the theme of what Uncharted is all about.

Rafe got what he deserved because he was literally obsessed with the treasure, and would use any means to get it. Hell, he spent at least 15 years chasing after it, while Sam was rotting away. He did his time. Rafe didn't; not to mention that Rafe was obviously a lunatic who killed people in cold blood just for the sake of finding the treasure and "earning his greatness".

Killing Sam off would have been a terrible ending, and a forgettable one at that. Nate would've been in the exact same situation that he was in at the start of the game, ie. unhappy, believing his brother to be dead, having a life with Elena that neither of them are happy with, etc. There'd be virtually no point in even having an Uncharted 4 in that case. :/

Terrible ideas guys, imo. :p

I'm a bit burnt out on Uncharted 4 discussion so I won't be going in circles anymore, but I will say this: at least Naughty Dog is clearly trying to be held to a higher standard with their writing in games. The fact that we're passionately divided is at least indication there's an attempt at substance.

The ending we got is
already generic -- a generic Disney ending. Only unlike a Disney movie, the characters didn't really change much from where they started, and nothing really feels earned. Nate kinda hurts Elena; Elena kinda has no trouble forgiving him; Sam kinda learns nothing; Sully is kinda just there; Nadine kinda just loses interest; Rafe is just... whatever at the end. None of the heroes really lose or gain anything, emotionally or in terms of character growth. And then the ending just keeps piling on how perfect everything is, which is nice, but... what's the lesson? The takeaway? "Adventure for a while, then cash in your pirate gold and buy beachfront property?"

Man, it's all so... limp.

Given the story that was set up, they ended up only striking copper instead of gold. It's not that I wanted it to be this or that. I wanted them to capitalize on whatever they were trying to do and the
happy ending
makes the struggle feel weightless in retrospect.

The ending cheapens the experience. It didn't nail the themes in the way it needed to.We went through all that drama for them just to wrap a little perfect bow on everything. Sam and Sully continue to treasure hunt, still clamoring for more after this tale of "greed."

Nate & Elena retread the same ground from Uncharted 3.(Nate loves adventuring, Elena is tired of him risking his life so they break up, they get back together again) This time with the added bonus of "we're going to do it legally" and they bought beachfront property! So what was the point of this incredibly drawn out story then? The good guys always win?

People claim that Sam dying would've been generic, but the ending we got is even more generic. And if the death was executed well, it would've been great and actually make me tolerate that terrible chapter 16. It would be more fitting for Sam to die after finding the treasure they've been after all their lives rather than to continue with his obsession and chase after Nate's past "glory" with Sully. Tale of greed my ass. It wouldn't be a big deal if this game wasn't so story-driven(I don't care about the story in DOOM), but with the way the game is structured, it is a problem for me. The takeaway is so weak.

Unknown?

This game is still holding high on Amazon. Hopefully it has long legs. I see it topping NPD for May and hopefully top 3-5 in June.

My friend went in not realizing Sam was Nate's brother. Thought he was an old friend. So that's what he's sticking with lol.

But, yeah... why couldn't he have just been a friend/orphanage bro instead? They could have still shared an interest in treasure hunting because of some third party involved with the orphanage or some such.

Raven117

Oh, I thought the ending was fine.

Did Indiana Jones learn some huge lesson? (Or did he just "kinda" learn a lesson like the poster above (insightfully) pointed out?)

While there was certainly room for them to have strong themes and lessons, they chose the lighter "Disney" route, which is totally fine. I enjoyed the ride! That's what matters IMO.

Did Indiana Jones learn some huge lesson? (Or did he just "kinda" learn a lesson like the poster above (insightfully) pointed out?)

While there was certainly room for them to have strong themes and lessons, they chose the lighter "Disney" route, which is totally fine. I enjoyed the ride! That's what matters IMO.
What happened to Avery and Libertalia and how it symbolized his and his family's lives as well as Rafe WAS the lesson.

curb

Banned

hqdefault.jpg

Indy should have died trying to get the Grail. The ending of Last Crusade was just limp.

Why didn't they have a crate pushing setpiece? Like, you're pushing another boring-ass crate with wheels over to a wall and suddenly the floor collapses and you're rolling down a hill while Shoreline dudes are chasing after you on their own crates, all culminating with a sequence in which you have to grappling-hook onto Crate while you both swing around on a cliff face

Ricky_R

Why? Because it's the kind of ending someone in a boardroom would pitch because it tests well with audiences? It's inoffensive, it isn't complex.

It's fitting. Ideal if you will.

Safe? sure... The series has been quite safe and light overall though so the ending fits. I think it was a great touch to give a deeper closure to Nate this time. It definitely hit me on all the right notes.

curb

Banned
It's fitting. Ideal if you will.

Safe? sure... The series has been quite safe and light overall though so the ending fits. I think it was a great touch to give a deeper closure to Nate this time. It definitely hit me on all the right notes.

Same here. I get why people might want something different (especially after 4 games) but at the same time, I think the Indiana Jones comparison is very fitting. The Uncharted games are those types of stories - ones where the good guys always win, the bad guys always lose and the treasure probably gets lost or locked away somewhere. I'm totally okay with that and would gladly buy another one.

Why? Because it's the kind of ending someone in a boardroom would pitch because it tests well with audiences? It's inoffensive, it isn't complex.

It's still more complex then anything pitched in the thread so far.

I'm still laughing at the suggestion of Nate losing a limb or "He saved my life."

Or even the general motion that not dying means no weight.

I don't understand people's argument
that someone should have died. The search for the pirate treasure was led by a belief that two brothers could complete the ambitions of their mother. It's a bit harsh killing one of them doing that.

(mat)

I haven't read up anything on the game yet. This is killing me.

After breaking up with my girlfriend of 8 years late last year and having to move back in to my parent's place, I didn't think I'd ever have enough money for a PS4, which was fine because at the time, the release date to Uncharted 4 was quite far away. But now it's out, and I can't play it.

Lo and behold I finally managed to penny-pinch my way into a PS4 last week. Unfortunately, I wont have money to get Uncharted 4 for quite some time. This PS4 isn't doing me a whole ton of good without the game I want to play on it, haha.

I'm trying to be patient, though!

Javin98

Banned
It's still more complex then anything pitched in the thread so far.

I'm still laughing at the suggestion of Nate losing a limb or "He saved my life."

Or even the general motion that not dying means no weight.
Clearly Uncharted 4 should have ended with Venom Drake punching the mirror when he realizes that Eddy Raja was the real Drake all along. It worked for MGSV since the ending is so complex that it split the fanbase. :p

Ricky_R

Clearly Uncharted 4 should have ended with Venom Drake punching the mirror when he realizes that Eddy Raja was the real Drake all along. It worked for MGSV since the ending is so complex that it split the fanbase. :p

Just imagine Drake taking the mask off (ala MI2), in the end when he's talking to his daughter, just to reveal that it was Sam all along.

Unknown?

I haven't read up anything on the game yet. This is killing me.

After breaking up with my girlfriend of 8 years late last year and having to move back in to my parent's place, I didn't think I'd ever have enough money for a PS4, which was fine because at the time, the release date to Uncharted 4 was quite far away. But now it's out, and I can't play it.

Lo and behold I finally managed to penny-pinch my way into a PS4 last week. Unfortunately, I wont have money to get Uncharted 4 for quite some time. This PS4 isn't doing me a whole ton of good without the game I want to play on it, haha.

I'm trying to be patient, though!

You could friend someone who has it and shareplay it off someone.

joms5

I'm sure glad you didn't write the script for this game. That last part is cringe worthy.

lol hey i'm no writer. But something with a bit more weight would have been better than the cop out the pulled.

The entire game plays itself super serious and then in the end
everyone gets their way and then some.

Sam is a lying scumbag who after deceiving his brother, and putting Nate's life on the line, not only gets his brothers love and respect back, but also continues in the seedier act of treasure hunting after all that's happened. Dude deserved death more than anyone. There needs to be consequences for poor actions.

Maybe it's poor writing on ND's part. Am I the only person who though Sam was a scumbag? Because that's how he felt. Everything he did was for his own selfish reasons. Never did he take into account how it may affect the lives of others.

Indy should have died trying to get the Grail. The ending of Last Crusade was just limp.

I know this is probably just trolling but anyone who agrees with this statement clearly paid no attention to the story in TLC. The reason why Indy didn't need to die at the end of TLC was because gaining his father's respect and being seen for who he is (Indiana) was enough to make him realize that he had everything he needed in life. In the case of Uncharted 4,
Nate lied and deceived his wife, and even after she finds out and is devastated by hit, Nate continues to ignore her. So no talking or reasoning with him will make him come to his senses. It never has. He needs to hit rock bottom. This is why, losing his brother would have made sense for him to give it all up.

It's shocking to think many people here enjoyed the ending as is.

Hupsel

Finally finished it. I think that the game was... okay. Nothing great in my opinion, but also not a bad game. I missed the setpieces from Uncharted 2, to be honest. The
E3 demo in Madagascar was by far the best part of the campaign
. Some thoughts:

1) The absolute insane climbing not only from Nate, but his allies as well, take any sense of realism away from the game. I actually laughed when 10yo Nathan was climbing churches and buildings like a godamn superhero. I know that this game isn´t at all about being super realistic, but it was still... stupid. I think that the above than average writing makes this problem more evident. Same thing for when they murder a bunch of security guys and mercenaries, then one of his friends turns to Nathan and casually asks if he is okay. "Yeah I am okay!" then they just move on and kill more people. I think that Tomb Raider did a better job with this even showing Lara in a therapy session.

2) Combat is still not very good. Playing on hard, weapons felt very weak and enemies took some time to finally go down. Sometimes I also tried rolling around to escape sniper shots only for Nathan to take cover and die.

3) Platforming, as a lot of people already said, is very automatic and not fun at all. I think thats a problem with a lot of games in this category. Feels dumb to just move the stick in one direction and keep pressing "X" so Nate climbs at light speed.

4) I wish they tried some more "new" stuff in this game like the
car chase in Madagascar and the sword fight

5) Ending was lame imo.
I think some sense of sacrifice would be better by killing any of the main characters. Elena would be my top choice here, since it would affect both Nate and Sam. Also, Nadine was a terrible char, imo. Leader of mercenaries is all we know about her and at the end she just disappears with the classic "This treasure will be the doom of us all!"

Anyway, I feel like the gameplay is already showing its age, but Naughty Dog is still one of the best for creating stories and writing good dialogues and characters.

Alienous

Uncharted 4's ending will just be forgotten in time. It says nothing. It means nothing. It's a disappointing way to end a franchise.

I know this is probably just trolling but anyone who agrees with this statement clearly paid no attention to the story in TLC. The reason why Indy didn't need to die at the end of TLC was because gaining his father's respect and being seen for who he is (Indiana) was enough to make him realize that he had everything he needed in life. In the case of Uncharted 4,
Nate lied and deceived his wife, and even after she finds out and is devastated by hit, Nate continues to ignore her. So no talking or reasoning with him will make him come to his senses. It never has. He needs to hit rock bottom. This is why, losing his brother would have made sense for him to give it all up.

It's shocking to think many people here enjoyed the ending as is.

I dont think you paid enough attention to U4s story

The entire section with Elena was them talking about it, though by that point, he didn't even care about the treasure, he just wanted to save Sam.

Elena ultimately forgave him because she realized she missed the sense of adventure as much as he did. We end up learning that what Nate loves is that sense of adventure, and not so much the treasure, which is why he felt so fulfilled doing things legally.

Unknown?

I have no idea what this means or how this works. As I said, I am new to this whole PS4 thing.

My buddy does have one, as well as a digital copy of the game.

Shareplay allows you to play online, co-op, or even single player with another person whether they have said game or not. It lasts in 60 minute sessions but there is no limit to how many sessions you can play. In single player games it's like remote play but sent to another PS4 as opposed to a mobile device, so like lending a digital copy if you will but they have to be online.

The only thing is on single player the other person can only really watch(or take away controls from you) so it might be boring for them.

Depending on your connection it could be a good alternative until you can buy it.

Uncharted 4's ending will just be forgotten in time. It says nothing. It means nothing. It's a disappointing way to end a franchise.
I actually prefer this ending to all the other ones. I don't even play the final acts in my replays of these games anymore.

But the fact that they cut out the much earlier gameplay setup for it is a damn shame. That would have made all the difference.

joms5

I dont think you paid enough attention to U4s story

The entire section with Elena was them talking about it, though by that point, he didn't even care about the treasure, he just wanted to save Sam.

Elena ultimately forgave him because she realized she missed the sense of adventure as much as he did. We end up learning that what Nate loves is that sense of adventure, and not so much the treasure, which is why he felt so fulfilled doing things legally.

How could you not pay attention to it? That's all this game had. And a mediocre one at that.

But ultimately I don't buy the fact that Nate and Elena talking it over was enough to make him realize it. The guy was obsessed with finding treasure. He was like an addict. As an addict you need to hit rock bottom to change your ways.

And let's just say for argument sake that you're right and he had changed his ways through having a talk.
You don't think that Nate losing his brother to the same thing he was so obsessed over would have really put everything into perspective. Hell forget about Nate for a second. Why does Sam even get to live? He lies to his brother, puts his life in danger and gets to walk away to only go back to that same life? It makes no sense to reward someone like that for poor decisions, no matter if it's family or not.

joms5

Lol. Bet you it doesn't. Bet you that it's going to be considered one of the best endings to end a franchise with.

Given the sentiment in this thread I would disagree. Someone should create a poll so we can get a good idea of who felt satisfied with the ending, who wasn't and who was indifferent.

Ricky_R

Lol. Bet you it doesn't. Bet you that it's going to be considered one of the best endings to end a franchise with.

To be honest, Uncharted 4's ending impacted me more than TLOU's. I couldn't stop thinking about it once I completed the game. So simple, yet so engrossing.

Just thinking about all the adventures we played with Drake & co. all these years and
see him get older and form a family was pretty nice and bittersweet.
As safe as it is, it couldn't have ended better to me.

(mat)

Shareplay allows you to play online, co-op, or even single player with another person whether they have said game or not. It lasts in 60 minute sessions but there is no limit to how many sessions you can play. In single player games it's like remote play but sent to another PS4 as opposed to a mobile device, so like lending a digital copy if you will but they have to be online.

The only thing is on single player the other person can only really watch(or take away controls from you) so it might be boring for them.

Depending on your connection it could be a good alternative until you can buy it.

Oh, that's awesome!

I assume there's no way to retain my save file though, right? Like, once I got the game, I most likely wouldn't be able to pick up where I left off.

To be honest, Uncharted 4's ending impacted me more than TLOU's. I couldn't stop thinking about it once I completed the game. So simple, yet so engrossing.

Just thinking about all the adventures we played with Drake & co. all these years and see him get older and form a family was pretty nice and bittersweet. As safe as it is, it couldn't have ended better to me
I mostly agree. I still feel that TLoU had a more impactful ending, but Uncharteds still had a lot of impact. I loved it. I can't think of a single franchise that ended as well as Uncharted.

Given the sentiment in this thread I would disagree. Someone should create a poll so we can get a good idea of who felt satisfied with the ending, who wasn't and who was indifferent.

This thread has largely been positive on the game and ending. Of course recent discussions and overall sheer volume of concentrated discussions may paint a different story then the reality.

Snip

Agreed. I really loved TLOUs ending. But this had a whole lot of baggage with it and years worth of memories. And it delivered and it delivered really nicely.

curb

Banned
When it comes to the ending, it reminds me of how I approached the ending of LOST which I found wasn't very intellectually satisfying as there were gaps and unanswered questions but I found it to have a very emotionally satisfying conclusion. For me, that wins out. Yes, you can pick UC4's ending apart all you want but in the end, it just made me feel happy and as such, I loved it.

Ricky_R

I mostly agree. I still feel that TLoU had a more impactful ending, but Uncharteds still had a lot of impact. I loved it. I can't think of a single franchise that ended as well as Uncharted.

Yeah, TLOU's is definitely more impacful given the context. I just meant that Uncharted 4's had a bigger effect on me for many reasons.

Agreed. I really loved TLOUs ending. But this had a whole lot of baggage with it and years worth of memories. And it delivered and if delivered really nicely.

Exactly.

joms5

This thread has largely been positive on the game and ending. Of course recent discussions and overall sheer volume of concentrated discussions may paint a different story then the reality.

That's why it would be interesting to see a poll. I don't know if those who didn't like it are being extra vocal or if more people are just finally completing it now and being disappointed. It seems that those who are completing it later are also admitting to having a hard time getting through it.

Someone make a poll. Please. :)

That's why it would be interesting to see a poll. I don't know if those who didn't like it are being extra vocal or if more people are just finally completing it now and being disappointed. It seems that those who are completing it later are also admitting to having a hard time getting through it.

Someone make a poll. Please. :)

A poll would be a good, more accurate barometer. I'm just reporting my observations having read most of the thread since it's inception. Large amounts of praise worthy posts are simply one liners "that was amazing" or "masterpiece" where as the people who didn't enjoy the game as much (or at all) had much longer posts and subsequently, longer discussions with other posters.

Edit: This quotation is messed and I can't fix it lol.

Top Bottom