• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 street date broken as thieves steal copies

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are a little extreme, a game that has much better gameplay, actual set pieces (weren't you concerned about U4's set pieces? well 1 barely even had those), much better visuals, puzzles, pacing, almost every single category on which we rate games- better.

"But U2 villain was lame so it's only slightly better", seriously? like there are 15 hours of so much more superior game in there, "but man eddy raja man!", I will never understand how some people rate stuff.

And you guys thought I was joking with that post earlier

"I just...REALLY like Eddy Raja, man. Like, you don't understand, I have a custom made figure of Eddy Raja. This is deadly serious. I don't care if all the UC games do everything better, one game has Eddy Raja and the others dont"

UC2:
+Better level design
+Better combat design
+Better sound design
+More variety in locales and ideas
+Better graphics
+Better multiplayer

-No Eddy Raja

Grade: C-, definitely worse than Drake's Fortune tbh

"But U2 villain was lame so it's only slightly better", seriously? like there are 15 hours of so much more superior game in there, "but man eddy raja man!", I will never understand how some people rate stuff.

For me the gameplay wasn't that much better and this is obviously a case of having a differing opinion-- you're putting your opinions onto my personal tastes. Who's being extreme? I didn't say Uncharted 2 was a shit game because the villain sucked, I'm saying that it definitely brought it down for me a notch because I think things like this should have memorable villains; there's no excuse. A pulp-inspired hero vs. villain story needs an antagonist as strong as its protagonist.

Clearly you weigh things differently than I do. That's cool. I also get that most people put Uncharted 2 on a pedestal. That's cool too. It's just that I don't, though I think it's a great game and the best of the series so far. What I think about Uncharted 1 vs. Uncharted 2 has fucking nothing to do with Eddy Raja. But is he a more interesting character than Lazarevic? Well, not a tall order, really.

It has aged okay. Honestly, it's not great gameplay-wise. It doesn't have all of what the series is know for. It has some but not all.

Varied level design? Not really.

Sophisticated traversal in battles? No.

Major set pieces integrated into gameplay? Not at all; it uses on-rails segments instead... not great.

And of course its combat engine is rather janky with various little issues.

So... it has aged okay. It's still quite playable and rather fun, which is more than I can say about some other games held in high regard back then, such as Mass Effect.
Eh, I personally think it's aged well. Its a bit more arcady which is what I really like about it.

Well the gaffer wanted to play through UC3 for Nate and Elena's relationship and there's very little of it in the game to warrant playing through the whole thing.

I don't agree it's a very good game at all but that's just my own opinion. I played UC1 and UC2 on release day and I've gone through the Collection from UC1-UC3 which I'm nearing the end of and again I didn't play much of on PS3 so even removed from whatever disappointments of when it was first released I personally think UC3 is terrible today.

I was actually enjoying the game up until the ship graveyard and then my opinion went south on the game quickly.

Again, though, the Elena relationship is explored in 4-relevant ways in 3. There are touching cut scenes and an entire level with her. Sure, he could YouTube it, but why skip an A-level game?

There are tons of very enjoyable action sequences starting with the ship graveyard. It's BEFORE the ship graveyard that the game has far too many ultra-linear sections with insufficient action. The game really unfolds, as an action game, with the graveyard and on. Don't get me wrong, I'm still not a fan of the battle design compared to 2, but it's good. People need to play it.

I really don't get the uc3 hate...

People that hate uc3 for the lack of Elena seem to forget that uc3 is about Drake and Sully.

Also, the ship graveyard is awesome. Awesome!

zsynqx

630x.jpg

Let's not kid ourselves, we are all pressing square.

U3 story spoilers
Some really messy writing in this game.

1. Marlowe tries to get Drake to distrust Sully even though she has no believable reasons why he should. Really bad writing.
2. Talbot's plot is all kinds of fucked. Amy Hennig even had to spend time explaining some inconsistencies.
3. Some unexplained events between U2 and U3 transformed Elena from being an exciting treasure hunting journalist to Elena suddenly being really upset with Nathan about treasure hunting and we're suddenly supposed to be aligned with that. And then she uses Sully being old to make us feel bad. low blow. Lol. I can understand this, but if you suddenly switch character personality on us like this, it's difficult for the viewer to align with it.
4. Chloe just disappears! She joins you for a life threatening treasure hunt and then bails because it's life threatening!

I don't know, it just didn't feel carefully handled. It felt like the game was trying to make Nathan an asshole for doing exactly what the player wants to do--treasure hunt.

1. She's a manipulator so it makes sense she would try to turn them against each other. Her mistake was underestimating Drake and Sully's relationship, which speaks to her own trust issues and cold relationships. Of course it doesn't work, but I don't see how that's bad writing.
2. Talbot is one giant wasted opportunity no doubt about it. Worst villain in the series.
3. I thought the handling of Elena was great. It shows her growth. Between each game you can see her maturing more and more and the more time she spends with Drake she sees he's doing it more as a compulsion and for himself. She knows the value of relationships and Drake's constant adventuring and need to prove himself would be extremely damaging to a relationship.
4. Chloe was never a save the world type of gal so I could see her not wanting to get into another globetrotting adventure again. She acted more as a foil for Drake. If she's out of the game then Drake must really be nuts for doing this.

630x.jpg

Damn straight

I gotta say, Drake looks like such a douche in UC2 with that 5 o clock shadow

like he's actually getting remarkably more handsome with every new entry

drakeface.gif

U4sam.gif

U3 story spoilers
Some really messy writing in this game.

1. Marlowe tries to get Drake to distrust Sully even though she has no believable reasons why he should. Really bad writing.
2. Talbot's plot is all kinds of fucked. Amy Hennig even had to spend time explaining some inconsistencies.
3. Some unexplained events between U2 and U3 transformed Elena from being an exciting treasure hunting journalist to Elena suddenly being really upset with Nathan about treasure hunting and we're suddenly supposed to be aligned with that. And then she uses Sully being old to make us feel bad. low blow. Lol. I can understand this, but if you suddenly switch character personality on us like this, it's difficult for the viewer to align with it.
4. Chloe just disappears! She joins you for a life threatening treasure hunt and then bails because it's life threatening!

I don't know, it just didn't feel carefully handled. It felt like the game was trying to make Nathan an asshole for doing exactly what the player wants to do--treasure hunt.

Some of those are actual issues but I don't really consider #3 to be problematic. She seemed to have settled down and it made sense to me. In fact, that's kind of what we're getting in UC4 as well.

And even with those issues, I enjoyed 3's story more. It had some really fantastic moments that overshadowed those issues. Where as UC1 was just largely kind of a serviceable if at times fun romp.

Maybe this is all a product of when people played the games. I played the UC series after having played and fallen in love with TLOU. So I don't really have a lot of good things to say about UC1 anyways. And most of my experience with the game was utter frustration as to how poorly the game had aged. The story was just kind of basic and there, taking a backseat to the outdated gameplay.

mrqs

Uncharted 1~2~3 story isn't what strong about those games. I had never played Uncharted before, after TLOU i became a fan of Naughty Dog as a developer, so when Uncharted Trilogy Remastered came out i jumped right in and played it in maybe a weekend.

Was deeply disappointed for all the hype i've heard, it had cool set pieces but what made me fall in love with TLOU wasn't there. Charecters, story and narrative in general was so, so weak. It had some amazing visuals but everything was shallow, just many storypoints that never spoked with each other making the game not that good.

I believe Neil Druckmann had a really powerful effect on Naughty Dog that's why Uncharted 4 was such a hyped game for me. Neil really cares about story, what's happening and how they tell it. Really knows how to make characters and how they will grow during the game.

Shin-chan

So we've had confirmation that distributors are starting to supply retailers in NA but what about other countries?

I'm really optimistic about getting a copy this week.

Even Sam lookin pretty rugged and sexy smokin that cig. I bet he's jealous as fuck about how hunky younger brother is tho

probably cuz he's secretly Troy Baker

speaking of, Elena has never looked more like Emily Rose than she does now

I wonder how Nolan North feels that the older his character gets, the more Zoolander-esque "really really really good-looking" his character gets

zsynqx

I believe Neil Druckmann had a really powerful effect on Naughty Dog that's why Uncharted 4 was such a hyped game for me. Neil really cares about story, what's happening and how they tell it. Really knows how to make characters and how they will grow during the game.

I agree with this. Won't comment on the other stuff :p

Harry Flynn tho. Best villain in the series so far

IIRC he had a pretty boring arc and didn't really go anywhere. Some of the writing in the series isn't on-point, 2 included. He was fine while he was there but I keep even forgetting he was in the game. 2 and 3 were I think a bit too overstuffed with pointless characters.

This is why I give Drake's Fortune a 14/10 and Among Thieves a 2/10.

Fret

Uncharted 1~2~3 story isn't what strong about those games. I had never played Uncharted before, after TLOU i became a fan of Naughty Dog as a developer, so when Uncharted Trilogy Remastered came out i jumped right in and played it in maybe a weekend.

Was deeply disappointed for all the hype i've heard, it had cool set pieces but what made me fall in love with TLOU wasn't there. Charecters, story and narrative in general was so, so weak. It had some amazing visuals but everything was shallow, just many storypoints that never spoked with each other making the game not that good.

100% agree

U3 is especially weak imo, like others have said. I can't remember a thing about it

This place has gone nuts, U1 over 3? U3 has way way way better gameplay and incredible highs, the best in the series. Pacing is off and it feels disjointed so it's not as good as 2 but easily better than 1.

AKyemeni ftw! My copy arrives Tuesday! Major kudos! I'll try not to kick your ass too bad in multiplayer...for the first week.

zsynqx, why are you posting spoiler dialogue trees? Come on son.

To everyone else, Uncharted 1's campaign is GOAT. Uncharted 2 is the best game overall because of its GOAT multiplayer, but the story, setting, and characters in 1 is unrivaled. You spend the entire game on the island and as a result it adds so much depth to the game. It's also the one that feels most pulpy and most like Indian Jones. Compare that to 2 and 3 where you're globetrotting around and it's just not the same. For people who prefer 1 to 2 and 3, this is the reason why. Yes, 2 and 3 improved on the gameplay mechanics and set pieces, but the tightness of 1's story makes for a more compelling game. Please understand that I'm not bashing 2 or 3--they're also in my top-5 all-time. But when I rank this series, that's how I rank them.

SomTervo

Wait are people getting copies early now? Where? What distributors?

UK here

IIRC he had a pretty boring arc and didn't really go anywhere. Some of the writing in the series isn't on-point, 2 included. He was fine while he was there but I keep even forgetting he was in the game. 2 and 3 were I think a bit too overstuffed with pointless characters.

What the fuck

Uncharted 2 is so many leagues above DF it's not even funny. The gameplay in 2 is god-tier, particularly on Crushing.

DF is still great, but 2 is the bomb (until UC4 drops...)

He was so much more developed than Raja and had a ton more presence in the game. His arc was great too, he was the "if Drake were stupid" explorer, and constantly had to try and make himself seem like a big dude carrying a desert eagle, trying to steal Drake's girl, always putting him down even though he's a dummy, and then he goes out refusing to allow himself to be redeemed because he's a jealous, vindictive, cunt. It was great.

Eddy Raja was fun, but he was in like 3 scenes.

Fret

What the fuck

Uncharted 2 is so many leagues above DF it's not even funny. The gameplay in 2 is god-tier, particularly on Crushing.

all uncharted games have incredibly shallow gameplay imo. what do you like about uncharteds gameplay?

TLOU was a huge step in the right direction for actually playing the game

Even Sam lookin pretty rugged and sexy smokin that cig. I bet he's jealous as fuck about how hunky younger brother is tho

Harry Flynn tho. Best villain in the series so far

I don't understand why people mention Lazarevic Vs Eddi Raja, Harry Flynn fills that role and much better for me. Lazarevic is the Roman's version of Uncharted 2, slightly better too.

I can't think how anyone can think (sic) that Uncharted 1 has better villains, the whole series has average to lame villains.

Shin-chan

Wait are people getting copies early now? Where? What distributors?

UK here

What the fuck

A guy on the previous page confirmed that distributors in America were shipping the game to retailers now.

Whether they've started elsewhere who knows but I hope so.

He was so much more developed than Raja and had a ton more presence in the game. His arc was great too, he was the "if Drake were stupid" explorer, and constantly had to try and make himself seem like a big dude carrying a desert eagle, trying to steal Drake's girl, always putting him down even though he's a dummy, and then he goes out refusing to allow himself to be redeemed because he's a jealous, vindictive, cunt. It was great.

I guess I'm just saying he didn't really leave much of an impact on me or the story. Like if you took him out I'm not sure what would change that much maybe apart from the intro. By arc I mean, his character didn't really end up contributing to much IMO. Eddy wasn't meant to be a big character, just mostly there for humor but at least he died and they didn't have him weaving in and out of the story as if he were there for grander importance.

I also don't get the UC1 jet-ski hate...

I just played through it. It sucks! It looks pretty. You have to move, which is okay. Then you get attacked or see barrels. You have to stop and shoot, basically before you get shot yourself... you can't dodge. It's not like it involves dodging and shooting at the same time, which would make it worthwhile. Once done, you move again. It feels completely restricted and awkward, much less natural than regular moving around and shooting. So it adds nothing gameplay-wise and only subtracts!

xorx

Banned
What the hell happened in this thread? UC 1 better than 3? UC 1 better than 2? Eddy Raja the best villain in the series?

What the hell happened in this thread? UC 1 better than 3? UC 1 better than 2? Eddy Raja the best villain in the series?

I mean, it'd be ludicrous to have a slightly differing personal opinion.

Though I'm not sure who said Eddy was the best villain in the series. My favorite was Navarro.

I guess I'm just saying he didn't really leave much of an impact on me or the story. Like if you took him out I'm not sure what would change that much maybe apart from the intro. By arc I mean, his character didn't really end up contributing to much IMO. Eddy wasn't meant to be a big character, just mostly there for humor but at least he died and they didn't have him weaving in and out of the story as if he were there for grander importance.

I don't think Flynn was meant to have grand importance, I think he was just there as a foil for Drake, showing the more conniving, cowardly, selfish side of being a thief, so that there's a better barometer in a dramatic sense for Drake's choices to ultimately be more noble.

Plus ya know the whole title "Among Thieves", Flynn is a big part of that

I don't think Flynn was meant to have grand importance, I think he was just there as a foil for Drake, showing the more conniving, cowardly, selfish side of being a thief, so that there's a better barometer in a dramatic sense for Drake's choices to ultimately be more noble.

Sure. I don't dislike Flynn, he was funny, there was good banter.

ViciousDS

Banned
How can someone forget El GODDAMN Dorado?

God, I love Sully.

It's the one that struck me first......because it was the first uncharted game I played. I actually liked the first one and it was much more fun with the gameplay tweaks in the remaster.

But I would love to see him react to shambalah or the pillars

silva1991

How can someone forget El GODDAMN Dorado?

God, I love Sully.

That's from the first game? if so then it's because I didn't like UN1 much adn found it very forgettable for the most part. did it even have one crazy set piece? I only remember that scary section with those RE like monsters

latest

at least that's how I remember them lol.

630x.jpg

I always wished this will happen, I even tweeted ND about this idea: when this selection shows up: if Uncharted 4 is digitally downloaded and so is Uncharted Collection if you own it ( it can work by swapping disks too), You click one of the option or one by one in order and you start playing the older games as if Nathan was telling his brother Sam about his past adventures like a memory that you play. If Uncharted 4 finds out that you don't own the collection or that you finished one of the adventures or all, this slection scene ends and there is no need to play the past games. It would be just perfect in terms of story telling for those who got both Uncharted 4 and Uncharted Collection but never played the series. This is something akin to Kojima touch in MGS games or saves carrying scenario between Witcher games and Mass Effect games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom