• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Woo, my pre-order arrived today a day early!

I'm loving it so far, the visuals are amazing and
the old guy just got murdered and I crashed a plane

It's bloody hard though. I died like five times just in the opening bit on the boat! I'm no good at shooting bits.

Firewire

Banned
Android18a said:

It's bloody hard though. I died like five times just in the opening bit on the boat! I'm no good at shooting bits.

Just takes a bit of time to get used to.

PS: You haven't seen anything yet! ;)

antiloop

Saw "This is Living" Uncharted comercial today here in Sweden on TV. Nice.

Recently Sony and it's partners are really agressive with the comercials. Never saw any before.

Last month AC, Uncharted, UT3, R&C. Before that Motorstorm only I think.

Jtyettis said:
Where can I find said theme?

Marconelly said:
Here's the link to the latest version of the theme (same one I posted a few pages back)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2D9VPCX9

If you want to use the wallpaper made by Bruce instead of the ones included in the theme, you'll have to save and copy his wallpaper to PS3 as well, and then set it to override theme's default wallpapers.

Marconelly has some excellent wallpaper on them as well.
If you want the wallpaper I made you can download them here:
Wallpaper 1
Wallpaper 2

GuessWho

I'm at around chapter 8-9 and while I Love the puzzle aspect of it and the whole presentation is top notch, I can't stand the shooting aspect of this game. It's tedious and repetitive. Hope it picks up and changes it a bit around. Tired of seeing the same respawning bad guys over and over.

GuessWho said:
I'm at around chapter 8-9 and while I Love the puzzle aspect of it and the whole presentation is top notch, I can't stand the shooting aspect of this game. It's tedious and repetitive. Hope it picks up and changes it a bit around. Tired of seeing the same respawning bad guys over and over.

The gameplay does change up quite a bit so hopefully that cures what ails yah.

deepbrown

GuessWho said:
Maybe you're playing it in a tedious and repetitive way.

EktorPR

Damn, how could someone grow tired of the shooting aspect of the game? It is exquisitely done, and the enemies force you to think out strategies while in the midst of battle...I'm in the process of clearing the game again (hard) and I love it.

Gigglepoo

deepbrown said:
Maybe you're playing it in a tedious and repetitive way.

This is true. One can play Uncharted like Gears if they choose. But, since you're quite agile in this game, you can play it drastically different if you want. Try breaking some necks or killing them like Mel Gibson in The Patriot*.

*Ok, now I've compared Uncharted to Robinson Crusoe and The Patriot. This is getting ridiculous.

Kittonwy

Banned
Android18a said:

Yeah it's all about taking your time with your aim and scoring headshots, unless you're playing on crushing.
Indifferent2.gif

Kosma

Banned
Android18a said:

Yeah I was so sad when they
killed Sully :( He seemed like such a cool guy with the cigar and all.

deepbrown

Gigglepoo said:
This is true. One can play Uncharted like Gears if they choose. But, since you're quite agile in this game, you can play it drastically different if you want. Try breaking some necks or killing them like Mel Gibson in The Patriot*.

*Ok, now I've compared Uncharted to Robinson Crusoe and The Patriot. This is getting ridiculous.
Yup :) I see every battle in Uncharted as another puzzle. My FAVORITE was
the one with all the traps
:p Loved that

Edit* Ok, one of my faves.

AHHHhhh playing Uncharted has made me suck at Warhawk! Dang...why can't I take cover!? lol I don't like it anymore. hmph

GuessWho said:
I'm playing it like gears.

thats your problem. Try using your agility to your advantage. When a guy rushes you blind fire him with a shotty the rest will fall back a bit use that to your advantage stand up throw a grenade as they try to take cover shoot from the hip as your roll out and run up on them go around the other side of their cover stealth kill a guy or engage in the tremendously satisfying street brawler mechanics then shoot his friend. Advance advance advance. The game is made to make you feel like a true hero not some sniper that sits behind a rock for 2 days.

deepbrown

GuessWho said:
Uh oh. Here's your problem. We've had another fella like you - he hated Uncharted, then I told him how to play - and he's luvin it now.

"The pirates have been on the coffee that’s for sure (apart from the fat shotgun guys). They’ll take cover like you, and if you hang back too much they’ll either come charging after you, or they’ll throw a well placed grenade to flush you out. You’ll be on your toes the whole time, but the key to success is locating all the enemies, and being mobile. Don’t be passive, you must be active."

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Just completed the game, and I loved it. But seriously, whoever said that there's about 50/50 shooting vs platforming bits needs to learn maths. I'd say it's about 80% shooting things. Which is kinda disappointing, as some of the platforming/puzzles were excellent.

But that said, it's a great game. Not sure if I'll play through it again, but I consider doing it on hard.

deepbrown

StarEye said:
Just completed the game, and I loved it. But seriously, whoever said that there's about 50/50 shooting vs platforming bits needs to learn maths. I'd say it's about 80% shooting things. Which is kinda disappointing, as some of the platforming/puzzles were excellent.

But that said, it's a great game. Not sure if I'll play through it again, but I consider doing it on hard.
I'd say 60/40 or 70/30

the_id

Anecdotal evidence of Uncharted sales in NZ:

Currently ranked no. 4 under games at NZ's most popular online retailer: http://www.gpstore.co.nz/Games/ Website is sold out. seems they only have enough copies for pre-orders.

Singstar seems to be popular on the site as well. At no. 25 under games and 2nd most popular game on the PS3.

NZ isn't an important market. But its a good sign that Kiwi's are getting the PS3s. Crystal ball is still not clear if it'll remain 3rd or not.

Kittonwy

Banned
GuessWho said:

That's the problem, the gunplay in Uncharted is not blindfire-based, it's stop-and-pop, roll to cover, jump over cover, always on the move, you don't really need to be anywhere nearly as active in Gears to be successful. Not to mention Uncharted has superior AI, both enemy and friendly AI.

BeeDog

Just got to the
sewer/pillar area known from many trailers
in chapter 5 (or is it already 6?) and the damn game is kicking me in the nuts. Hard. Playing on Hard btw, and it's sooo worth it. The satisfaction you get when you pass a hard area is great.

Will be getting this tomorrow... what the recoomended difficulty to play on first time?

I want to enjoy the story, but I don't want it to be a chore either

Raytow said:
How do you unlock crushing? finished the game on hard but I can't find the setting.

Start a new game it should give you the option to do Crushing below the hard setting.

Keyser Soze said:
Will be getting this tomorrow... what the recoomended difficulty to play on first time?

Hard is really satisfying.

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
Raytow said:
How do you unlock crushing? finished the game on hard but I can't find the setting.
Go to chapter select on the main menu, select chapter 1 and choose crushing.
The same thing confused me earlier tonight, I'm now on my 3rd run through, this time on crushing:D

BeeDog

Keyser Soze said:

Take normal. It's a decent challenged based on the demo.

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
Keyser Soze said:

Hard is the best. Bear in mind you can lower the difficulty at any time in the options screen :)

Frillen

So borrowed this game two days ago and beat it today. A great game, but the puzzles were weak and I felt the gunplay was better in Gears of War. Overall I would give it an 8.5 or something.

Surfheart

I've only played for a few hours but it's going to be hard to decide between this and SMG as my personal GOTY.

Story, controls, animation, combat, pacing, graphics all top notch so far.
My non gamer girlfriend was watching Nate navigate the interior of the sub and even she commented on the amazing animation as he ducked through hatches.

Can't wait to see what happens next.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
_leech_ said:
Just started playing the game... holy shit... this is unquestionably the best looking game so far this generation. Jaw dropping.

Durr. We've been saying that in here for a month straight now.

Kittonwy

Banned
Strider2K99 said:
Just beat the game on Normal. Short, but sweet game. I'll definitely be playing this again. Gotta get those medals!

Try it on hard, it's much more fun when you have more aggressive enemies, I found hard to be the sweet spot, at least for me, it keeps that tension high but it's not too hard like crushing.
Indifferent2.gif

kuYuri

Kittonwy said:
Try it on hard, it's much more fun when you have more aggressive enemies, I found hard to be the sweet spot, at least for me, it keeps that tension high but it's not too hard like crushing.
Indifferent2.gif

You sure love responding in this thread.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif

Wait, the AI actually changes based on the difficulty you choose? I was under the impression that the difficulty settings were difficult only in the amount of damage enemies do.

Kittonwy

Banned
dirtmonkey37 said:
Wait, the AI actually changes based on the difficulty you choose? I was under the impression that the difficulty settings were difficult only in the amount of damage enemies do.

The enemies are quite smart, but when you're playing on normal, because you can pop out for quite a long time due to the fact that you can take more hits, a lot of the time you can probably get them before they can even get close enough to try to outflank you. They can't pin you down as effectively as they can on hard and especially crushing, and they don't get a chance to move in on your position if you can absorb damage in normal and basically pick them off while staying more in the open on normal.

On crushing they ALWAYS try to outflank you, unmistakably, because there's no way you can just take all day trying to nail that headshot, you pop out and your shots have to count, and you have to get back in cover, or else you take three shots and you'll die, you take one shot from a wes 44/shotgun and you'll die. They will basically keep moving from cover to cover to flank you from the side. On hard you'll notice that you'll be using cover more, but on crushing there's a big difference.

Indifferent2.gif

I have finished the game three times already but when I play in crushin, It's like playing the game for the first time.

Uncharted has so much depth.

the_id

Strange bug at the sanctuary:

I couldn't find the last mercenary in that area. Turned out it was a bug! The guy was stuck in between a wall. And he was shooting at Drake and Elena and we spent 15 mins trying to find the bastard.

Crusade

I love the way they modelled Drake and Elena's hair. Really smart compared to the way it's usually done. Other devs should take note

Also, the original Elena didn't look so bad there. But she really was ugly in certain lights, just like some people in real life. Shows how close we are to real people :lol

Steroyd

I am not pleased with grenade gun guy.

I'm minding my own business snapping enemies necks from behind next minute I hide behind cover and it gets shot to shit! So cool. :D

Top Bottom