• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

JB1981

DenogginizerOS said:
My wife and I think this is easily the best voice-acted game we have ever heard. I am simply astounded by the production values of Uncharted and look forward to resuming my adventure this evening.
That's so awesome that you are able to enjoy the game with your wife. And yes, ND hasn't gotten enough praise for the work voice work, the quality of the writing and overall production value.

deepbrown

[CFD] El Capitan said:
Check your PM.
What is going on!? You know Brucey is mine don't you :lol

And cheers for the advice Bruce...I know HOW to do it...it's just doing it. Getting the shotty I think could be helpful.

deepbrown said:
What is going on!? You know Brucey is mine don't you :lol

And cheers for the advice Bruce...I know HOW to do it...it's just doing it. Getting the shotty I think could be helpful.

Ahhh deep you know my heart belongs to you....uh yeah thats kind of creepy but true.

Dont get too down on that part it is just insanely hard. Your totally right though knowing what to do and then being able to do it takes forever.

deepbrown

BruceLeeRoy said:
Ahhh deep you know my heart belongs to you....uh yeah thats kind of creepy but true.

Dont get too down on that part it is just insanely hard. Your totally right though knowing what to do and then being able to do it takes forever.
Well I took out Uncharted and put in Warhawk...thinking of putting Uncharted back in. Wow my life is exciting lol

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
DenogginizerOS said:
My wife and I think this is easily the best voice-acted game we have ever heard. I am simply astounded by the production values of Uncharted and look forward to resuming my adventure this evening.

she's a keeper:D

Firewire

Banned
deepbrown said:
Yeah if I have anything to do with it! Grr. Where's the Christmas lama!?

wha?

I'm on hold with it, was making the holes for his ears to stick out of his x-mass hat! Thinking of making it into a gif with falling snow as well. Kinda busy with people wanting last minute x-mass ads & stuff.

deepbrown said:
Well I took out Uncharted and put in Warhawk...thinking of putting Uncharted back in. Wow my life is exciting lol

Dude no kidding I got to start getting good again in preparation for the Omega Pack.

Z3F

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:

The production values are great. I didn't find the writing or voice acting impressive though.

Madman

Z3F said:
I still can't pull off the square, triangle, square combo. Tips please.
Use timing. Press square. Once you have landed your first hit, press triangle. After that hit, press square. You can't just dial it in. You have to wait until your punch/kick lands before hitting the next button. Once you get the hang of it, it is simple and easy to pull off.

eXxy said:
Don't use it. ;)

Are you crazy that crap saves your ass especially in Crushing you just have to get the timing right and you can start introducing all kinds of sweet variations. Slam a guy up against a wall and once you do the finish blow if a guy is running up on you blind fire your shotty or pistol nate will spin around to confront them as well stopping them from cheap shotting you while your back is turned.

Z3F said:
The production values are great. I didn't find the writing or voice acting impressive though.

I think the voice acting is absolutely spot on.
There are times when the acting is so good my wife would come out of the kitchen and just watch silently. The part where
Elena shows Nate video footage that Sully is alive is perfectly acted he isnt angry but trys to rationalize it isnt possible but his gestures and facial expressions show a look of concern over the evidence and idea that it might be true that Sully has betrayed them

patsu

Z3F said:

I think the production value is top notch while voice acting is natural and vivid. The writing is on par with regular Hollywood production (par for the course).

Kosma

Banned
Z3F said:

What? Really? The guy who did Eddy Raja is awesome for one.

Overall I was very impressed by the writing and voice acting.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Elena shows Nate video footage that Sully is alive is perfectly acted he isnt angry but trys to rationalize it isnt possible but his gestures and facial expressions show a look of concern over the evidence and idea that it might be true that Sully has betrayed them

That Mo Cap really gives this game the perfect vibe for such an adventure, so lighthearted and over the top. Love it.

DarKaoZ

Banned
Z3F said:

Yeah the Writing could had gotten some help here and there, but it was neat but not perfect. The Voice acting was top-notch, yet they didn't sound convincing in some scenes, specially in-game voices.

the_id

oo Kosma oo said:
That Mo Cap really gives this game the perfect vibe for such an adventure, so lighthearted and over the top. Love it.

The scary thing is...it's not motion captured. the facial animations are made by hand. There's a link somewhere in this thread where a developer mentions it.

Kosma

Banned
DarKaoZ said:
Yeah the Writing could had gotten some help here and there, but it was neat but not perfect. The Voice acting was top-notch, yet they didn't sound convincing in some scenes, specially in-game voices.

Have to agree there a bit.

Could anyone give any examples of badly written dialogue though? I really want to know what you guys didn't like.

the_id said:
The scary thing is...it's not motion captured. the facial animations are made by hand. There's a link somewhere in this thread where a developer mentions it.

Oh damn that's what I wanted to say actually :lol

What I wanted to say: the fact that they used hand made animation and not mo cap gives the faces those great over the top looks and sets the vibe up perfectly, mo cap would have made them more real but less "fun" if you know what I mean.

the_id

oo Kosma oo said:

What I wanted to say: the fact that they used hand made animation and not mo cap gives the faces those great over the top looks and sets the vibe up perfectly, mo cap would have made them more real but less "fun" if you know what I mean.

:lol. I was about to post the picture. Take a look at Elena on my avatar. Its hard to imagine how they did that by hand! Their engine is awesome!

I'll just post the picture anyway:
8aw26bb.jpg

deepbrown

oo Kosma oo said:
Have to agree there a bit.

Could anyone give any examples of badly written dialogue though? I really want to know what you guys didn't like.

There's one bit where Nathan looks surprised...and it's just like Jak and Daxter...it's pure ND gold look that clearer wasn't made by the actor in the mo-cap...you know the bit i mean?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
patsu said:
I think the production value is top notch while voice acting is natural and vivid. The writing is on par with regular Hollywood production (par for the course).
Better than many even, especially in the genre. Hell, I was watching Mummy on and off again the other day. I think they really did *tons* better job in Uncharted with dialogue, humor and voice talent than what they did for that movie. And I mean seriously, Mummy seemed just much worse in all those aspects.

Z3F said:
I still can't pull off the square, triangle, square combo. Tips please.
I use that all the time now, but I had problems using it at first. You down the opponents faster with it, and get 2x more ammo. It's all about timing that triangle press. You have to press it as soon as the first punch connects, the the action goes into slo-mo a bit, and you'll know when to press square again, it's much more forgiving for that square press anyways. But you have to try it until you get the timing right the first time - from there on it will be much easier.

Kittonwy

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:

Nolan North is teh awesome.
Indifferent2.gif

patsu

Those people who can go guns akimbo in Uncharted should make a video to show us how to play it. I am not talking about the earlier "kill the pirates before they land" video. That's great and most effective, but I need to see some real action :)

I belong to the limping camp (Hide behind cover under it's destroyed and then scurry to find another one).

So I finally got Uncharted today, damn euro delays! Anyway, I'm blown away. I'm only up to where the demo ended but it has been awesome. The section with the collapsing scaffolding was classic Naughty Dog, I can't wait to see what's next!

the_id

patsu said:
Those people who can go guns akimbo in Uncharted should make a video to show us how to play it. I am not talking about the earlier "kill the pirates before they land" video. That's great and most effective, but I need to see some real action :)

I belong to the limping camp (Hide behind cover under it's destroyed and then scurry to find another one).

I don't know what you mean by playing guns akimbo. but i've been playing it rather tactical. jumping from cover to cover in a few seconds, trying to out smart the AI and go around them. and when the opportunity hits, i run up, tap R1 frantically and then do a melee.

patsu

the_id said:
I don't know what you mean by playing guns akimbo. but i've been playing it rather tactical. jumping from cover to cover in a few seconds, trying to out smart the AI and go around them. and when the opportunity hits, i run up, tap R1 frantically and then do a melee.

:lol That's already better than me. I think deepbrown and Kittonwy play it with even more aggression (running out of cover to melee poor pirates, shooting from hips, in general confusing and scaring the pirates back to cover). I'm sure Kittonwy also drinks with one hand the same time he plays the game.

Kittonwy

Banned
patsu said:
:lol That's already better than me. I think deepbrown and Kittonwy play it with even more aggression (running out of cover to melee poor pirates, shooting from hips, in general confusing and scaring the pirates back to cover). I'm sure Kittonwy also drinks with one hand the same time he plays the game.

I'm probably more aggressive on hard but on crushing not so much, and I drink my beer with both hands.
Indifferent2.gif

YYZ

some great wallpapers came out on gamewallpapers, FINALLY!

Elena looks a little off in the second one, but they're all good (third is my favourite by far). Much better than the outdated first one :lol

patsu

Kittonwy said:
I'm probably more aggressive on hard but on crushing not so much, and I drink my beer with both hands.
Indifferent2.gif

Japanese tea ceremony style ? I guess you have to... with cat paws. :lol

Yoboman

I just got unbanned. First thing I want to say is that this game was AWESOME, totally delivered in every way, and definitely one of my top games all year. That's all.

I'm enjoying it a lot, it's really pretty....

I'm not sure about the emphasis on the shooting though. It seems to just feel like its there to slow down your progress through each area. Wave after wave of identical enemies... gets a little boring, I think.

This game is at its best when you're exploring new areas and can really appreciate the surroundings, IMO. I'd like to see future Drake games to be a little less shooty. I mean, its done well, but its so overdone.

It's also kinda... unrealistic.

Just did the bit where you escape from the prison and have the car chase. Did they EXPECT you to drive off in a car? Where were all these buggies and jeeps hidden? Do they keep people sitting in them just in case someone escapes them? And why, after that, did the next area have swarms of enemies? Why would they be there? I'd like to have more platforming bits on my own...

El-Suave

What's wrong with Gametrailers? In their Spike VGA PS3 nomination video they spoiled two important plot points of the game. You might only notice if you've beaten it and not remember at all when you haven't played it yet but for those who are in the game right now it might suck! :-(
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/28649.html Watch at your own risk, spoilers like I said.

Yoboman

El-Suave said:
What's wrong with Gametrailers? In their Spike VGA PS3 nomination video they spoiled two important plot points of the game. You might only notice if you've beaten it and not remember at all when you haven't played it yet but for those who are in the game right now it might suck! :-(
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/28649.html Watch at your own risk, spoilers like I said.
Gametrailers spoiling games is nothing new

Ceb

ALL the facial animation is done by hand? Wow.

In my eyes, the most impressive example of stunning facial animation is when you arrive at the (mid-game)
customs house. The scene where Elena is eyeing Drake's ring and has that look on her face is just sooo convincing.

sinnergy

YYZ said:
some great wallpapers came out on gamewallpapers, FINALLY!

Elena looks a little off in the second one, but they're all good (third is my favourite by far). Much better than the outdated first one :lol
Yeah she just looks to hot in that one :lol Wished she looked like that in the game instead of a manly girl.

deepbrown

El-Suave said:
Why do they STILL say Heavenly Sword used to be an XBOX Exclusive! Do some fucking research you eejits...it NEVER was!

YYZ

sinnergy said:
Yeah she just looks to hot in that one :lol Wished she looked like that in the game instead of a manly girl.
She's like one of the few video game female characters that's attractive even though at first impression she doesn't stand out so I don't agree with your statement there. I applaud Naughty Dog for this much overlooked effort. I haven't played it yet, but I think a lot of gamers feel the same way about the chick in Half-Life 2.

Did you see the new DMC4 footage on the 1Up Show? Holy fucking shit, point proven :lol

konrad77

I know its off-topic. But I just read in a Swedish gaming magazine that Naughty Dog is (rumoured) leaving Sony. (They got inspired by Bungie to be indepedent and they wanted to create games for other plattforms than Sony's). The magazine is called GameReactor but its known for its Xboxfanboyism, but whats your take?

Top Bottom