• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Atomspike

Oh man , an Uncharted 2 located in the 1920's egypt would be amazing! but it'll be too similar to the mummy movies :/

Uncharted : the lost pyramid , shiiiiiiit , i just creamed my pants

Kittonwy

Banned
Raist said:
omg, crushing is... tough <.<

Crushing is crushing.
Indifferent2.gif

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
reilo said:
Aim better?

You are confusing the enemy reacting to a bullet whizzing by their head as actually being a hit. It is not. You missed. Shoot again. Also, I reckon that you are staying in the same spot trying to pick off the enemy - I suggest you move around and use all cover available.
My aim isn't the problem. Enemies react the same to a shot in the neck as they do to a shot in the elbow. Five shots from an AK-47 in the chest of a dude in a tank top ten feet away from me don't drop him while a single shot from a Desert 5 can drop a dude with body armor from across the map and cause him to go flying. That's ridiculous. If you don't hit an enemy in the head it doesn't matter where you hit him, by and large. It should different if I hit him in the knee or the gut. Aside from a headshot, I don't have any faith in what's happening on-screen from encounter to encounter - I don't know why Enemy X died in two shots while Enemy Y died in four shots.

For a shooter trying to be (relatively) grounded in reality, this game doesn't come close to, say, a COD4.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
DjangoReinhardt said:
My aim isn't the problem. Enemies react the same to a shot in the neck as they do to a shot in the elbow. Five shots from an AK-47 in the chest of a dude in a tank top ten feet away from me don't drop him while a single shot from a Desert 5 can drop a dude with body armor from across the map and cause him to go flying. That's ridiculous. If you don't hit an enemy in the head it doesn't matter where you hit him, by and large. It should different if I hit him in the knee or the gut. Aside from a headshot, I don't have any faith in what's happening on-screen from encounter to encounter - I don't know why Enemy X died in two shots while Enemy Y died in four shots.

For a shooter trying to be (relatively) grounded in reality, this game doesn't come close to, say, a COD4.
It ain't really supposed to be is it? It's pulp man, fresh.

klee123

Toughest fight in Crushing is probably the
final fight in the Church
. The amount of times I died in that section is insane. I had to do a bit of "cheating" to get pass that bit.

Kittonwy

Banned
DjangoReinhardt said:

In COD4 they basically die whenever you pull the trigger L1+R1, L1+R1, L1+R1, the enemies are basically just waves and waves of worthless fodder, and in turn the game just feed you waves upon waves of fodder. Don't get me wrong they can fine-tune Uncharted's location-specific damage and weapon damage a bit more but compared to COD4 Uncharted's enemies actually put up a decent fight without being complete damage sponges. The quality of the enemies is probably the weakest aspect of COD4.

Pirates take 3-4 shots from a handgun and mercs take about 5-6 because they're wearing vests. Wes44 is one shot, Desert Eagle is 2, automatic machine guns work best when you do very tight, short, controlled bursts, and they're great when you're close enough to run and gun, same as the shotgun. COD4 seemed more chaotic but the quality of the scenarios aren't really that great aside from when you're playing as the captain.

I don't think every single shooter has location specific damage these days, how do you stand stuff like HALO3 and Gears when those still employ damage sponges and basically require way more ammo per enemy? I have no problem with those games myself but I'm just wondering.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
klee123 said:
. The amount of times I died in that section is insane. I had to do a bit of "cheating" to get pass that bit.

That's probably the part where I didn't cheat but on crushing it gets really tough when one guy moves from cover to cover trying to flank you while Drake is already getting pinned down from the front. I felt I really had to be fast in disposing as many enemies before I got completely rushed.

klee123

Kittonwy said:
That's probably the part where I didn't cheat but on crushing it gets really tough when one guy moves from cover to cover trying to flank you while Drake is already getting pinned down from the front. I felt I really had to be fast in disposing as many enemies before I got completely rushed.

Well, when I meant by cheating, I meant getting
out of the church and taking them out as they reach the entrance. This only applies to the second wave of enemies after when you first defeat the 5 sniping deagles, the 2 grenade launchers and the M4er

Kittonwy

Banned
klee123 said:
Well, when I meant by cheating, I meant getting
out of the church and taking them out as they reach the entrance. This only applies to the second wave of enemies after when you first defeat the 5 sniping deagles, the 2 grenade launchers and the M4er

Oic. I stayed inside but it was tough.

klee123

Kittonwy said:
Oic. I stayed inside but it was tough.

It is tough, since enemy uses the more powerful weapons in the game, it only takes 1-2 shots for them to kill you. Maybe you're a better player than me, but I tried to move around heaps, but it didn't do shit.

Dibbz

Is Crushing
the bit where you have to go help Sully when he is outside the Church?
If it was then yes that bit was really hard epecially as I went through it on hard mode.
The church was a pain in the ass. The guys with the grenade launchers were so anoying, although once I got past them and the second wave began, there is no way you can stay in one place. Enemies flank, so I ran to the left, took out some guys, then ran all the way to the alter. Wasn't easy, I lost count how many times I had to do that. :/

Going through it a 3rd time now, getting the missing treasures. I found maybe one treasure in the last part of the game. I was devestated :(

Found a good few just now, right at the start of the game which was nice. Unlocked the Pirate, Mercenary, and Sully. It's a shame they don't use the model your playing as in cutscenes. It would be pretty funny watching a pirate or Eddy do some of the stuff Drake does in cutscenes. :lol:

Also need to do the Steel Fist Expert. Does a pirate take 2 or 3 hits to die in Normal? I'm sure it's 3 but if I fire 2 and run at them Drake doesn't do a 1 hit punch. Shooting them a 3rd time usually does kill them though. :/ I got kinda confused. Just to clear up, the guys with hats and vests on are pirates, arn't they?

Raist

Banned
Dibbz said:
Is Crushing...

Stop. Crushing is a new difficulty mode you unlock after beating the game on hard. :p
And it's like night and day. I remember in RFoM, superhuman was not THAT hard, compared to hard. Here it's a different story. It's fucking challenging.

Dibbz

Raist said:
Stop. Crushing is a new difficulty mode you unlock after beating the game on hard. :p
And it's like night and day. I remember in RFoM, superhuman was not THAT hard, compared to hard. Here it's a different story. It's fucking challenging.
Woah wait.

I just finished Hard and went to the options, and there was only Easy, Normal and Hard for me to choose from. :(

Did I do something wrong?

EDIT:- Oh bollocks. I chose continue after my first playthrough on normal, and then changed the difficulty in game through the options. I guess thats bad, eh?

BeeDog

Options? You have to start a new game (after your finish save has been loaded) and it will show up as the last difficulty option.

Dibbz

BeeDog said:
Options? You have to start a new game (after your finish save has been loaded) and it will show up as the last difficulty option.
OK So there is still hope. I'll try it in a bit.

FFS I don't wanna have to go through all that on Hard, again! Shite :(

Maybe if I play as a Pirate I'll feel better about it :/

Raist

Banned
Dibbz said:
Woah wait.

I just finished Hard and went to the options, and there was only Easy, Normal and Hard for me to choose from. :(

EDIT:- Oh bollocks. I chose continue after my first playthrough on normal, and then changed the difficulty in game through the options. I guess thats bad, eh?

Tricked me as well :p You have to start a new game, not just continue. That's weird that crushing isn't available in the options tho, neither in the main menu, nor ingame.

edit : and no, everything's fine. You don't have to beat it on hard again. Just start a new game, the option will be there

Kittonwy

Banned
Dibbz said:
Woah wait.

You can still start a new game on Crushing and the game will give you the option to carry all your treasures and medals over. What I did was I started a new game on Crushing and carry all my treasures and medals over but I started a new save file, basically both your new save file and your old one will have the medals you've accumulated in your old save file. I finished Crushing and found more treasures so I kept the new save file and deleted the old one and just used the new save file from then on.

Dibbz

Ack thank god, just tried New Game and there it is "Crushing". Sounds though, can't wait to try it out :D

Steel Fist Expert is going to be even harder to get now :(

Raist

Banned
Heh, going through the game again, I've missed a LOT of treasures in the first chapters. And really easy ones :lol

Now that I think about it, it looks like most treasures are to be found in the first half of the game.

Dibbz

Raist said:
Heh, going through the game again, I've missed a LOT of treasures in the first chapters. And really easy ones :lol

Now that I think about it, it looks like most treasures are to be found in the first half of the game.
Yeah I was doing the same thing. There was about 4 treasures that I found in the first couple of chapters. Can't believe I missed them before. There is one practically shining
right above you when your trying to climb down to the Uboat.
I guess I was to mesmerized by the amazing visuals, before, to notice :D

Mesijs

klee123 said:

I'm not past it yet. There were some really hard parts until now but the enemies close in very fast and flank you very well. You have to be really really quick. I'll try it again soon.

i think im on the last portion of the game fighting
some spanish dude on a boat. man this portion is really pissing me off. i already have the "bosses" shooting pattern down (shoot 3 shotgun bursts, delays just a moment and then one more... if your head is up during the delayed shot and it hits you, then you die)

anyways, i get through the first portion and then get owned in the 2nd because the asshole goons flank me to the side and i can no longer use cover since they are parallel to me, and if i get up then the asshat with the shotgun kills me.

how many portions are there to this fight?

DjangoReinhardt

Kittonwy said:
In COD4 they basically die whenever you pull the trigger L1+R1, L1+R1, L1+R1, the enemies are basically just waves and waves of worthless fodder, and in turn the game just feed you waves upon waves of fodder. Don't get me wrong they can fine-tune Uncharted's location-specific damage and weapon damage a bit more but compared to COD4 Uncharted's enemies actually put up a decent fight without being complete damage sponges. The quality of the enemies is probably the weakest aspect of COD4.

Pirates take 3-4 shots from a handgun and mercs take about 5-6 because they're wearing vests. Wes44 is one shot, Desert Eagle is 2, automatic machine guns work best when you do very tight, short, controlled bursts, and they're great when you're close enough to run and gun, same as the shotgun. COD4 seemed more chaotic but the quality of the scenarios aren't really that great aside from when you're playing as the captain.

I don't think every single shooter has location specific damage these days, how do you stand stuff like HALO3 and Gears when those still employ damage sponges and basically require way more ammo per enemy? I have no problem with those games myself but I'm just wondering.
Indifferent2.gif
Gears and Halo are off in fantasy land; Uncharted and COD4 are both aiming for realism in contemporary settings. I think the gunplay in COD4 feels far more visceral and believable than that in Uncharted. I suppose my main issue is that the weak feel of the gunplay in Uncharted completely takes me out of the game, and there isn't anything else for it to fall back on. Watching enemies routinely jump out in the open, breakdance, pop off a shot, take four bullets to the chest, and then duck behind cover is just absurd to me.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
I agree with people in that Uncharted's location-specific damage should have been a bit more comprehensive (I wouldn't mind a quick death when an enemy was shot in the heart-region) and that it would have better suited the game had enemies been defeated after one or two shots instead of six to seven.

I say this because there are areas in which the character comes across a revolver-type weapon. This drastically speeds the gameplay up and heightens the tension even more. The pace is frentic and the challenge then comes from managing the enemies and finding ample cover whereas when you're stuck with a standard handgun, it's more an excercise in patience (i.e. how much longer can you stand slamming down the R1 button until the enemy falls).

Kittonwy

Banned
DjangoReinhardt said:
Gears and Halo are off in fantasy land; Uncharted and COD4 are both aiming for realism in contemporary settings. I think the gunplay in COD4 feels far more visceral and believable than that in Uncharted. I suppose my main issue is that the weak feel of the gunplay in Uncharted completely takes me out of the game, and there isn't anything else for it to fall back on. Watching enemies routinely jump out in the open, breakdance, pop off a shot, take four bullets to the chest, and then duck behind cover is just absurd to me.

Four bullets right in the chest of a pirate would kill him, unless you missed.

You can say COD4 is more "visceral" but believable? Endless waves upon endless waves of mindless fodder enemies unless you cross a certain invisible line, the amount of casualty in a game like COD4 alone makes COD4 ridiculously non-believable.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i think uncharted strikes a good balance between the loose realism of cod4 and the sci-fi style of halo or gears, in which an enemy can eat a full assault rifle clip. that enemies can survive 3 or 5 pistol shots is a good incentive to go for headshots -- and nailing headshots without autoaim is imo the hook of uncharted's gunplay, and an excellent fit for a cover-based shooter. its damage calculations are weird and unrealistic in several ways, but it works as a game, and that's what matters

DjangoReinhardt

Kittonwy said:
Four bullets right in the chest of a pirate would kill him, unless you missed.

You can say COD4 is more "visceral" but believable? Endless waves upon endless waves of mindless fodder enemies unless you cross a certain invisible line, the amount of casualty in a game like COD4 alone makes COD4 ridiculously non-believable.
I don't know what you're responding to here. I said "the gunplay in COD4 feels far more visceral and believable" (emphasis added).

Yoboman

DjangoReinhardt said:
I don't know what you're responding to here. I said "the gunplay in COD4 feels far more visceral and believable" (emphasis added).
Kittonwy gets mad if you suggest any aspect of any game is better than an aspect of Uncharted

Ferrio

Banned
At chapter 10. So far I wish the game was more monkeying and less shooting, but that's just cause I've been overkilled with FPSes and I hate using a controller to aim.

Dragon

Banned
DjangoReinhardt said:

The gunplay, while solid IMO, isn't Uncharted's strongest asset.

Kittonwy

Banned
DjangoReinhardt said:

You can't have gunplay without enemies to shoot at and COD4's enemies are basically waves and waves of worthless fodder.

Yoboman

A lot of Uncharted's visceral quality is lost cause you don't exactly know when you're hitting. They should've had specific sound effects and reticle indications when you hit like CoD4

Kittonwy

Banned
Yoboman said:
A lot of Uncharted's visceral quality is lost cause you don't exactly know when you're hitting. They should've had specific sound effects and reticle indications when you hit like CoD4

You mean autoaim?
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
Pai Pai Master said:
So...my game isn't working anymore? I'm not sure how but it just loads the opening menu forever.

._.

Every other game works perfectly fine.

Wait for it to load I guess I hope it works out ok.

Feindflug

Yesterday I got a PS3 starter pack (60GB, 2 sixaxis, Motorstorm & Resistance) and Uncharted and all I have to say is OMFG! the game is so good it's not even funny, the graphics are amazing - detailed textures, top-notch lighting, great animations and the levels are simply beautiful not to mention the clever dialogue and amazing looking cut-scenes (I'm at level 6) the music is awesome in fact sound in general is crystal clear, the AI and gunplay is really really fun - I love the cover system as I'm also a big fan of Gears and Naughty Dog did a great job making the gunplay intense and fun at the same time.

Naughty Dog is simply one of the most talented studios of our days, Uncharted feels so detailed and polished that makes most games feel rushed and low-budget...

Alright, just ended Uncharted. WOW. This has become the game of the year for me. Everything is right - the gameplay, the story, the characters and their voice acting. Not since Resident Evil 4 have I felt so engrossed in a game and its story. Now I know for sure - games are meant to be fun, like Mario Galaxy, but there should always be new technology at hand to make games that feel so epic like Uncharted.

I did play through it in five hours or so, that's very short, but I don't feel like I've paid too much for it anyway. I loved every second of it.

Naughty Dog you bastards, you are masters of the industry.

Yep.

I do have to admit that I played on the easy setting. I do that sometimes on the first go.

Still, it's a very short time and it's not like I rushed it. Like I said I don't care as it felt great. But the timer was on 5 hours, yes.

Ok I died a few times so perhaps it should be 6 hours.

Steroyd

Of course it felt short you played it on frikken easy.

Who plays the game on easy other than to finish it quickly?

You have no right to talk about the length because you played it on easy.

You suck for playing it on easy.

I can't believe someone played this game on easy and then said it felt short.

Be a man play it through hard, then try and complete Crushed *rips off manly chest hairs*

Ow! X_X

Steroyd said:
Of course it felt short you played it on frikken easy.

Who plays the game on easy other than to finish it quickly?

You have no right to talk about the length because you played it on easy.

You suck for playing it on easy.

I can't believe someone played this game on easy and then said it felt short.

Be a man play it through hard, then try and complete Crushed *rips off manly chest hairs*

Ow! X_X

What? This has got to be the most childrish post I've ever read. Well, not THE most but it comes close. I fully admitted that one of the reasons it was so short was because it was on easy, that the short lifespan didn't bother me AND I praised this game to no end. Please, go measure your e-dick somewhere out of my sight. Thanks.

klee123

Man, ND should add some DLC with stuff such as new scenarios where you and a friend can play as Nate and Sullivan/Elena have small small missions where you take on a wave of enemies at different locations. Before the set battles of each location tho, they can make platforming segments where you need 2 people to get through.

If something like that becomes a reality, I'd pay $10 for the patch!

Top Bottom