• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
Pai Pai Master said:
So...my game isn't working anymore? I'm not sure how but it just loads the opening menu forever.

._.

Every other game works perfectly fine.

I had the same problem, check the disk to see if there is a some dust or finger prints on it. If there are none just put the disk back in and it should work.

Pimpwerx

DjangoReinhardt said:
My aim isn't the problem. Enemies react the same to a shot in the neck as they do to a shot in the elbow. Five shots from an AK-47 in the chest of a dude in a tank top ten feet away from me don't drop him while a single shot from a Desert 5 can drop a dude with body armor from across the map and cause him to go flying. That's ridiculous. If you don't hit an enemy in the head it doesn't matter where you hit him, by and large. It should different if I hit him in the knee or the gut. Aside from a headshot, I don't have any faith in what's happening on-screen from encounter to encounter - I don't know why Enemy X died in two shots while Enemy Y died in four shots.

For a shooter trying to be (relatively) grounded in reality, this game doesn't come close to, say, a COD4.
I keep reading this, but I don't see and conclusive proof. Headshots are always one-shot, unless you catch a helmet or something. But I'm pretty sure there are other vitals around the neck area. I say this b/c on Crushing I have to pay attention to shot location more, and I'm pretty sure I've put guys down with a double-tap to the neck. I mean, the 9mm handgun in the later stages is more powerful and easier to shoot than the one you start with. But at that point, everyone has armor too, so it balances out.

I try to keep my shots up high, and when an enemy is charging directly at you, their head is pretty level. I find that the enemies' recoil animation is less of a problem if you fire in bursts. I usually try to line up the upperbody and the fire off two or three quick rounds. If 70% of the time, I'll land two shots, and that means the enemy's animation will usually be the one where they stop and stagger instead of the juking one. Remember, critically-wounded opponents move slower (they tend to break ranks as well) and are easier to finish off.

I know there was a big setpiece by the crash site that gave me fits on Crushing, b/c hordes of guys were dropping in on all sides. But I found I could keep my range by firing in bursts as I moved around cover. I know I've put guys down in two shots, but it might be that the first one hit him in the neck, and the second one was a headshot. PEACE.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
DjangoReinhardt said:
I don't know what you're responding to here. I said "the gunplay in COD4 feels far more visceral and believable" (emphasis added).
I'm not too happy with that aspect of CoD4 at all. Maybe it's not actual believability of shooting, but there's something about the game that doesn't make me feel like I've accomplished anything by shooting/killing enemies. It's been said before for this series in general, but it does somehow feel like playing a cutscene or feeling like you're just watching what's going on despite playing it yourself. On the other hand Uncharted is less realistic, but I get a lot more sense of accomplishment by dealing with enemies there.

Pfff I would be extremely happy with a sequel. I can really see it work in any type of setting. Indiana Jones did this too, all three movies had different settings.

RuGalz

Pimpwerx said:
I know I've put guys down in two shots, but it might be that the first one hit him in the neck, and the second one was a headshot.

That's how I like to use the AK - I aim for around the neck area, squeeze the trigger and you would get the neck and as the recoil brings your aim up the 2nd shot gets the head a lot of time; otherwise, IMO, it's a crappy weapon.

Steroyd

What I've learnt to do on the Crushed setting, is to use one shot as a warning shot, if they're charging at me, while I'm getting mugged, the fact they stop and try to dodge lets me pop out and finish them off without losing health, the only downside is that I waste bullets lol.

Raist

Banned
Jeebus I'm completely stuck on crushing.

Surprisingly, the sunken catacomb part was relatively easy. I thought it would be way tougher. I mean the one in the spanish fortress.
But here I'm stuck right after the tower where you find the key. The part were there's a dude with a machine gun on the 1st floor of some bulding. No matter what I try, I get completely owned. Either I pop out of cover and eat a headshot, or it's raining grenades, or they're flanking me like crazy. AAAaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAah

Dibbz

A co-op Uncharted would be great, although i really doubt they'd just patch it in. Maybe for a sequal or something it would be cool to have another person with you to help out. My only problem with that would be the game might become too easy.

Throughout the main chunk of Uncharted your on your own, so taking on enemies is a lot more tough since they flank and do all sorts. With another guy by your side it might become more of a stay put and pick people of kinda game. It would be nice to have, but I am fond of it this way.

One thing that I want ND to say well away from is Cities. Stay the hell away from them, keep Drake out there in these awesome envirments. It's happened too many times with great games, the location of the sequal tend to suck major ass.

Synless

I finally just got my DS3 for christmas and this was the first game I tested it on, Love it!!! It makes the game that much more epic!!!!!

Dibbz

aparisi2274 said:
I played on Normal and after 5hrs of playtime, I was only 60% done... This game was nice and long IMO!!!!
Somethign must be wrong with me. I've completed the game twice and I'm sure it said I have completed 22% :/

madmook

Just beat this game (on normal) at 8-9 hours, and wow I hope there's a sequel. What I love most are the smooth controls. By the end of the game I had the sensitivity cranked up to max and it was perfect. I never knew the sixaxis could be so smooth and precise.

My biggest con was the final "boss" section. Ridiculously one-sided and I doubt anyone was able to get through it their first time without dying several times. I died numerous times and all I can say is thank god the reload time is short.

+graphics are top-notch
+smooth, precise controls (Resident Evil 5 better be like this)

-framerate is not perfect and there's slight tearing; its never enough to hinder the game, just enough to make you notice when it occurs

-unbalanced end "boss" fight

-bullet-sponge enemies, especially the latter parts of the game. At the beginning, it was extremely satisfying to get head shots on enemies, but later on a direct headshot just knocks off the guy's helmet... It's also unsettling when I pump a baddie in the chest with 5 shots from an assault rifle, see him flail about like a breakdancer and then proceed to cover just as lithe as before.

-
crazy gollums... they're
the same ones from Gears of War, lol.
At least its cool to watch them snap your neck.

All in all, buy this game, PS3 owners, and support good developers!

Kittonwy

Banned
RuGalz said:
That's how I like to use the AK - I aim for around the neck area, squeeze the trigger and you would get the neck and as the recoil brings your aim up the 2nd shot gets the head a lot of time; otherwise, IMO, it's a crappy weapon.

Yep I do that with the mini as well, and sometimes I shoot across instead of up and it would nail the pirate doing a side dodge in the head.

Kittonwy

Banned
~Devil Trigger~ said:
ndogxmas.jpg

And Merry Christmas to you too. *hugz copy of Uncharted*
gladtomeetya.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
beat the game in about 8 hours. one of the top 5 games this year! loved the graphics, characters, and story. hope there is a sequel!

I watched National Treasure yesterday and I can't believe how much better the characters and story are better in Uncharted.
Indifferent2.gif

deepbrown

madmook said:
Just beat this game (on normal) at 8-9 hours, and wow I hope there's a sequel. What I love most are the smooth controls. By the end of the game I had the sensitivity cranked up to max and it was perfect. I never knew the sixaxis could be so smooth and precise.

My biggest con was the final "boss" section. Ridiculously one-sided and I doubt anyone was able to get through it their first time without dying several times. I died numerous times and all I can say is thank god the reload time is short.

+graphics are top-notch
+smooth, precise controls (Resident Evil 5 better be like this)

-framerate is not perfect and there's slight tearing; its never enough to hinder the game, just enough to make you notice when it occurs

-unbalanced end "boss" fight

-bullet-sponge enemies, especially the latter parts of the game. At the beginning, it was extremely satisfying to get head shots on enemies, but later on a direct headshot just knocks off the guy's helmet... It's also unsettling when I pump a baddie in the chest with 5 shots from an assault rifle, see him flail about like a breakdancer and then proceed to cover just as lithe as before.

-
crazy gollums... they're
the same ones from Gears of War, lol.
At least its cool to watch them snap your neck.

All in all, buy this game, PS3 owners, and support good developers!

I got through the boss fight first time...only died in the punching bit once...didn't find it hard at all. Pretty simple actually - too simple. I would've preffered using my platforming skills to get to him eg. climbing round the side of the boat. Going inside the boat with obstacles etc.

_RT_

Well... after some solid crushing playtime today, I've finally acquired
Doughnut Drake
And for the record... Jesus crushing is HARD.

Too damn funny. Now I feel like I need to play through it again.

Bricfa

I beat this game about a month ago, but I'm just now starting to post on GAF, so here are my impressions:

AWESOME FUCKING WOWSOME!

This is the most movie like game experience I have ever had. Boss fight was too linear though. I found it very frustrating. Still Hella cool.

I for one loved the twist at the end. Not just a twist in the story as other games tend to have, but a twist in the gameplay.

i just hope the game does well enough to justify a sequel. the game reminded me of **** raider but with characters i actually liked. there is a lot of potential with this series if it can keep going!

andycapps

Ok, so I finally got this for Christmas yesterday afternoon but won't be playing it until I'm back home on the 27th. So is GAF still in the mood of Uncharted is teh AFW or has the consensus changed? :lol Also, in my first time playing through the game should I be playing it on hard?

Steroyd

I can confirm Elena can die if you leave her to take on enemies by herself. :(

I thought Elena and Sully were invincible, damn Crushing difficulty. :|

I'm up to chapter 18, and I forgot how many chapters there are so, so close to the end on crushing. :D

Kittonwy

Banned
andycapps said:
Ok, so I finally got this for Christmas yesterday afternoon but won't be playing it until I'm back home on the 27th. So is GAF still in the mood of Uncharted is teh AFW or has the consensus changed? :lol Also, in my first time playing through the game should I be playing it on hard?

Uncharted is and will always be AFW RAWR.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
Steroyd said:
I can confirm Elena can die if you leave her to take on enemies by herself. :(

I thought Elena and Sully were invincible, damn Crushing difficulty. :|

I'm up to chapter 18, and I forgot how many chapters there are so, so close to the end on crushing. :D

You like crushing eh?
Indifferent2.gif

Steroyd

andycapps said:

Play it on hard if you don't want to play through it twice just to get the hardest difficulty.

Still caked in it's awesomeness.

madmook

deepbrown said:
I got through the boss fight first time...only died in the punching bit once...didn't find it hard at all.
You sonofabitch! I got one-shot killed by the boss many times, and just plain overwhelmed by the other baddies a couple other times. I had to learn their patterns and shit, which is an antiquated game mechanic that thankfully wasn't in the game up till that last part.

Steroyd

madmook said:
You sonofabitch! I got one-shot killed by the boss many times, and just plain overwhelmed by the other baddies a couple other times. I had to learn their patterns and shit, which is an antiquated game mechanic that thankfully wasn't in the game up till that last part.

You just have to learn that
pissmeoff dude does 3 blind fire shots then one accurate shot
he's quite simple to do on crushing compared to all the game leading up to him.

Dibbz

Kittonwy said:
AFW copyrighted Kittonwy 2007.
Indifferent2.gif
hah nice.

So Elena and Sully can die? Wow crushing sounds even better, should be fun.

Right now I'm upto the level where
your plane has just crashed
on crushing. A couple of shots from some pirates and you can die :eek: Some of the later levels will probably piss me off to no end on this difficulty.

Kittonwy

Banned
Dibbz said:
hah nice.

So Elena and Sully can die? Wow crushing sounds even better, should be fun.

Right now I'm upto the level where
your plane has just crashed
on crushing. A couple of shots from some pirates and you can die :eek: Some of the later levels will probably piss me off to no end on this difficulty.

I haven't had Sully die on me but Elena died a few times when she got completely surrounded.

I had to stay in cover most of the time on crushing, it made enemies feel alot more aggressive because they could move in on my position more easily. It's much more "pop-out-and-shoot" on crushing than hard.

AKS

Raist said:
Jeebus I'm completely stuck on crushing.

Surprisingly, the sunken catacomb part was relatively easy. I thought it would be way tougher. I mean the one in the spanish fortress.
But here I'm stuck right after the tower where you find the key. The part were there's a dude with a machine gun on the 1st floor of some bulding. No matter what I try, I get completely owned. Either I pop out of cover and eat a headshot, or it's raining grenades, or they're flanking me like crazy. AAAaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAah
The toughest area for me on Crushing (where I died most frequently) was the part where there was a machine gun blasting me from an elevated position and hordes of goons aggressively tried to flank me. That might be the part you're talking about. There is a grenade launcher I ran and grabbed to take out the machine gunner, then I used some shotgun blind fire to help me retreat to the back of the area to give me some extra room to pick off guys rushing me with headshots. You'll need to be quick.

Dibbz

You can pop off a few shots towards the machine gunner, and he will usually back away from it and give you some breathing room to clear some guys. I dunno if it does that on Crushing but on the other modes it worked.

senahorse

OK for someone who is only at the 6th level, what incentive is there for me to keep playing if I don't get it yet? Does the adventuring and puzzle solving get expanded on, or is it pretty much the same for the rest of the game? C'mon GAF gimme a reason to pick up the control and finish this game off :D

Dibbz

x3n05 said:
OK for someone who is only at the 6th level, what incentive is there for me to keep playing if I don't get it yet? Does the adventuring and puzzle solving get expanded on, or is it pretty much the same for the rest of the game? C'mon GAF gimme a reason to pick up the control and finish this game off :D
The game only gets better imo. It's a kinda funny game for me actually, since in nearly all games I've played there has been parts that I really hate going back to, but with this I enjoyed all of it pretty much equally. They did a good job varying the enviroments and the pacing of the game is really good to.

I'd recommend to play through the game since there are some really cool enviroments and some really intense gun fights ahead.

Treo360

Insane Metal said:
Please don´t take this personal dude, but are you gay? The way you write, it´s all "happy" and stuff :lol

More like creepy.

The demo sold me. I like it, however the length and the fact that I've racked up a huge 360 library in the last 4 months (about 15 or so games) means that I'm going to either pick this up on a rental or used (ebay and not Gamestop/eb)

But I'll be damned if I didn't have fun with the demo. I really liked it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Insane Metal said:
Please don´t take this personal dude, but are you gay? The way you write, it´s all "happy" and stuff :lol
You want 5 across the eyes"??W?S??SDF?SDF?ASDgsldfkgj sdlkfjgklsjgsd

Dibbz

haha bit random there Insane. :lol

Treo360 said:
More like creepy.

The demo sold me. I like it, however the length and the fact that I've racked up a huge 360 library in the last 4 months (about 15 or so games) means that I'm going to either pick this up on a rental or used (ebay and not Gamestop/eb)

But I'll be damned if I didn't have fun with the demo. I really liked it.
The demo has nothing on the final game. It was probably the weakest level for me imo. The rest of the game seemed extreamly polished compared to this one for some reason. Still a fun part of the game though.

Also Uncharted has climbed to #4 in the GAF GoTY chart.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219789

Vote for it if you already havn't :D

Treo360

Dibbz said:
haha bit random there Insane. :lol

The demo has nothing on the final game. It was probably the weakest level for me imo. The rest of the game seemed extreamly polished compared to this one for some reason. Still a fun part of the game though.

Also Uncharted has climbed to #4 in the GAF GoTY chart.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219789

Vote for it if you already havn't :D

I don't think you read my post correctly. I said I liked the demo. A lot, but I've spent a whole lot of money on other games that came out before it, and that whole Christmas thing and all, spending the funds on the lil' ones ;).

Dibbz

Treo360 said:
I don't think you read my post correctly. I said I liked the demo. A lot, but I've spent a whole lot of money on other games that came out before it, and that whole Christmas thing and all, spending the funds on the lil' ones ;).
No I read it, I was just saying that the finished game is even better than the demo was. So basically you should love the full game :D

Top Bottom