• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Basch

I just purchased a copy of Unreal Tournament III (Collector's Edition) for the PC. I will begin to put in effect my ideas shortly. It will likely take a while as I promised I would work on a certain map first. But after that, I will get right to it. If anybody missed reading about the project I will be working on, here it is again...

Basch said:
Multiplayer Idea

By the way, I had this idea for a multiplayer component in Uncharted. Now before anybody goes up in arms with me, I did not include that as a con for the game. I did not think it was necessary. Matter of fact, I thought Uncharted was a more complete package than most other games. Great bonuses. But I had this idea. It has been circulating in my head for the past couple of weeks. And now that I have played the game. I think it would work wonderfully with it.

The idea stems from the concept of treasure hunting. I thought what if we could take the dynamism from the Singleplayer component and transfer it over to Multiplayer. What would make it over in the translation? I came down to several key features. One, we would include many voice clippings from the actual actors/actresses. This would help accentuate the adventuring aspects of the Singleplayer component. It would also keep a human degree to the characters. Two, allow all main characters to be available; possibly each with unique advantages as well. This will give the player the chance to be the bad a$$ Gabriel, cunning Navarro, or the resourceful Elena Fisher. Lastly, I would incorporate the familiar set pieces from the Story and include new maps filled with the same quality platforming that give the player an unlimited amount of possibilities for combat.

Okay, now that we got the idea, how is it supposed to work? Well, as of now you can have an all against all deathmatch, so to speak, where the goal is to find the treasure. But beware, there could be many traps laying in wait for you. Matter of fact, you can set them yourselves. Want to cut access to an area that was covered by bridge? Hack away at it. Ever wanted to use those spring spikes grafted to the trees? Get building. Want to cover pits with foilage to cloak its malice? Scatter branches,leaves, and bamboo appropriately. I feel there could be a lot done here.

But if that wasn't enough for you, how does a team deathmatch sound where you and your team will be tasked with either infiltrating a harbor warehouse to steal goodies or protect them. Vehicle wars may run rampant in this stage as I plan for it to be quite extensive. Steal the treasure yet? Well that's only the beginning. You will need to drag the lump of fortune to a ship so that it may transport it to a safe location. But the journey will be rather perilous as the harbor has access to dozens of small speedy boats that can easily catch up to the slow wave breaker. They will be able to board and sabotage the ship as well. If the ship gives, you will have to make the journey by foot. Feel like the harbor has been overrun? Send a scout. He/she will go to a secret lair to fly them an airplane that can relocate the treasure if need be. Many strategic locations will be placed throughout the map.

Promising? Its an idea. Thought I would work on it some more. Develop it a bit, and then start cracking down and pumping this baby out through the UnrealED offered by Unreal Tournament III: the editor. It may take a while. But I have resolve. Wanted to know if I should follow through with it. Is it a good idea? What do you guys think? :D Suggestions?

2real4tv

Just finished it, definitely a 9.5 for me it was the fix I needed everyone with a ps3 needs to buy it. Got a question I just don't know how to use spoiler tags

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
2real4tv said:
Just finished it, definitely a 9.5 for me it was the fix I needed everyone with a ps3 needs to buy it. Got a question I just don't know how to use spoiler tags

[ spoiler ] [/ spoiler ]

Do a "preview post" when you think you've done it right :)

Kittonwy

Banned
2real4tv said:

Yep it's the definitive title of 2007 for teh PS3.

andycapps

Oh you guys are so sneaky!
So they didn't kill Sully off! I'm at the chapter where I went into the "land of the dead" or whatever it's called. They just shut me inside and I got a little scared. I couldn't help but read some of the spoilers previously and I know there's zombies in here or something, so I'm a little nervous, to be honest. I've never been good with playing scary games, just watching them... Hopefully it doesn't get too bad. And yes, Silent Hill 2 is in my hall of shame having never completed it.
:lol

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
andycapps said:
Oh you guys are so sneaky!
So they didn't kill Sully off! I'm at the chapter where I went into the "land of the dead" or whatever it's called. They just shut me inside and I got a little scared. I couldn't help but read some of the spoilers previously and I know there's zombies in here or something, so I'm a little nervous, to be honest. I've never been good with playing scary games, just watching them... Hopefully it doesn't get too bad. And yes, Silent Hill 2 is in my hall of shame having never completed it.
:lol

ohh you are sooo screwed

just take a few breaths and be brave :)

andycapps

Oh screw you guys I'm going to have to grow some balls and finish it. :lol Game is freaking amazing so far, I will most likely be replaying this on hard when I'm done.

John_B

I'm currently playing on crushing and it is just brutal. You can't just rely on your ol' and steady pistol-hand, instead you have to develop a different strategy for every new encounter. I'm sure that by the end of the last chapter, my Uncharted-skills will be in the league of epic.

I think Naughty Dog will take the Uncharted engine and do a Jak and Daxter game before starting on a new Uncharted project. This will give them time to do all sorts of enhancements and the next game will look even better.

Synless

I decided to give this game a third play through and damnit, it looks so amazing!!! Fuck all the haters this game looks better then anything else on any system (except Crysis, that game is just fucking amazing).

avaya

I'm at the part in the monastery where you have to move the keys down Chapter 15 or 16. I'm taking so long to finish this! Can never play for more than 2hrs at a time.

Completed it last night. 10 hours and 5 minutes on normal. Awesome awesome game. The shootouts where the best I've ever experienced as they were so dynamic.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I'm at Chapter 14 or 15. I'm at the
giant intricate cavern with swinging firey spikes
. It seemed so daunting I just kinda laughed and switched off the PS3 till I have the gumption to tackle it.

I am absolutely loving the game. It just feels so cinematic and adventrous. Way to go Naughty Dog. Home run.

nib95

Banned
A collection of captures throughout this thread/off sites.

071128-1517130953-1280x720.jpg

071128-1535510359-1280x720.jpg

071128-1517390062-1280x720.jpg

071128-1518140718-1280x720.jpg

071128-1543210734-1280x720.jpg

uncharted-7.jpg

071128-1544350343-1280x720.jpg

071128-1544530718-1280x720.jpg

071129-1708110515-1280x720.jpg

071129-1708160359-1280x720.jpg

6ps0e9d.jpg

aeXNZfcSD.jpg

ApcZhLsja.jpg

CtxUiDKpz.jpg

cZkDkSCPg.jpg

MALuAAQyP.jpg

mkzOCPoMz.jpg

MmvBQOANy.jpg

nagKxWDjW.jpg

qPEPDvLxx.jpg

rLcciobld.jpg

zlmxbRryG.jpg

tkYZPltJb.jpg

UKSBXMJRw.jpg

uncharted-13.jpg

uncharted-3.jpg

56k implosion! :lol

I played Uncharted for the first time last night on my friend's shitty tube TV and the color was all washed-out, it definitely made me want to grab his PS3 and play it on my HD.

Anyways here are my first impressions:

The gameplay was quick and intuitive. It sort of reminded me of a faster-paced Gears of War, with bits of Prince of Persia mixed in. I feel like they re-use the same enemies way too much.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Just wanted to let you guys know I put Uncharted as my #3 game of the year for 2007 on my site. :)

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I got the game for Christmas and I am enjoying it, but my big complaint is the combat. If they had either had the fights less frequent or less enemies in each, I'd be enjoying it much more. Multiple waves of enemies make skirmishes drag on.

The platforming is brilliant as is the presentation and story, but this is really ruining the fun factor. I can easily get past some of the graphical flaws in the game, but the constant combat just gets to me.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
ICallItFutile said:
I got the game for Christmas and I am enjoying it, but my big complaint is the combat. If they had either had the fights less frequent or less enemies in each, I'd be enjoying it much more. Multiple waves of enemies make skirmishes drag on.

The platforming is brilliant as is the presentation and story, but this is really ruining the fun factor. I can easily get past some of the graphical flaws in the game, but the constant combat just gets to me.
It balances out and diversifies later, just in different ways. This is one game that keeps getting better and better as you progress.

JJN

being a part-time gamer the past 4 years (school) and having just received a PS3 for Christmas, this is the first current-gen game I've played and experienced fully - finished it today.

I feel like I've just totally spoiled myself in the visuals department... this game is so damn pretty. It's probably been gushed about in this thread to death, but this game has such great atmosphere and production values.. i can't wait for a sequel.

Question though: is the game significantly different when playing through on hard? I was thinking of doing it
mirrored (is this even spoiler-worthy?)
after I've finished a few other new games. Also, if I start a new file, do I have to earn all the medal points over again, or do they stack?

JJN

LiquidMetal14 said:
It balances out and diversifies later, just in different ways. This is one game that keeps getting better and better as you progress.
How do you figure, exactly? I think the game becomes way more combat intensive as you progress, if anything. Unless you mean the bit where
the spaniards come in waves, and you're basically running and gunning it with ammo strewn about everywhere
, which was awesome, but kind of a flash in the pan - then back to the same ol' cover and shoot routine (which I was completely satisfied with don't get me wrong).

Chris R

Well I finally completed the demo on Easy (don't laugh) but still even on easy it was very hard. I was out of ammo twice but a quick melee on a charging shotgun baddie brought me some more ammo. The hint feature was nice since I wasn't able to find where to go after finally surviving the area after your first dropdown. The aiming is still something I would have to get used to... I really hate FPS/TPS on a controller :( The cover system seems a tad buggy every now and then as well, and wasn't as fluid as I would want. But for free the game doesn't won't really disappoint, no other PS3 game out between now and when my 10$ discount at BB expires that really interests me.

SRG01

JJN said:
How do you figure, exactly? I think the game becomes way more combat intensive as you progress, if anything. Unless you mean the bit where
the spaniards come in waves, and you're basically running and gunning it with ammo strewn about everywhere
, which was awesome, but kind of a flash in the pan - then back to the same ol' cover and shoot routine (which I was completely satisfied with don't get me wrong).

The one thing that really gets me at that part of the game is that you only use the MP40 for the majority of it. You can pick up a few other guns at the later part, but running around with only one type of gun with those guys kind of ruins the fun a little. :D

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
I just finished the game at 9:30 minutes with 51 treasures and 450 out of 1000 points on Normal. I personally thought I was probably take a few hours longer since I was exploring every nook and crany for them treasure and I am disappointed I didn't get close to getting them all. The combat was sweet not too hard or too easy just right never died on any battle expect
The damn last part when you are fighting Navarro what a cheep mofo
. The Graphics are awesome I have not seen a better game technically on consoles this generation from the use of textures to lighting to shadowing are all freaking awesome.

Gameplay is very very nice with combat feeling satisfying and weapons are sweet and there a lots of them melee could of been a little bit more fun but it's probably my fault for not trying to experiment with it. The platforming was one of my favorite parts because it wasn't frustrating on trying to align the jump just right. It was a nice balance over all the gameplay type including the vehicles. The only part I didn't like with the jet ski was the very last time you use it and are going up river a little troublesome with the controls and getting shot at the same time.

The story FREAKING AWESOME if Uncharted: Drakes Fortune isn't to Indiana Jones Raiders of the lost ark I don't know what is.
All the little clues leading up to El Dorado and the twist they introduce near the end are very very nice. Then how they showed how people become zombies is very very reminiscent of Raiders of the Lost Arc when they open the Arc of the Covenant.
All the character all well realized and they are all likable except maybe Navarro.

All in all I would give this game a 9.5/10 very awesome game and I will be playing this game a couple more times to try got get all the rewards and them points.

j-wood

I received uncharted for Christmas. I'm currently on chapter 20, been playing for 7 hours and 20 minutes.

One word. Amazing.

Seriously, when this console generation started, I decided I was only going to get one console, and I decided on the PS3, in large because of Naughty Dog and Insomniac. Those dev teams are nothing short of the best.

dalin80

Banned
awesome ink work on some of those pirates, you have to be impressed with the textures when instead of worrying about the guy with the shotgun raping you your thinking 'heh, thats a nice tribal he has going on there'

Tieno

Unexpectedly went home for old-new year and I FINALLY played a couple of hours (3) on Uncharted. Started it on hard and I'm really enjoying myself. Surprised the pace is so high, you're constantly moving forward.
Love the combat, works better and more fluid than I expected (probably got a bit used to it through the demo). Melee system is great, especially for those times where you run out of amo and the last guy comes running at you with a shotgun and your screen is turning grey. Also didn't realise you could sneak up on people and stealth kill with the melee system. First time I did a drop kick was excellent too. Really has a lot of stuff I like, love the enemy behaviour, seeing them move around the environment, going prone, etc..
The game is constantly pushing me, like you're on one side of the cord pulling (touwtrekken?) but it won't give in, a bit unrelentless.

I wish I had a DualShock 3 though.

Edit: also, what's the difference between dts and dolby 5.1?

Kittonwy

Banned
Tieno said:
Unexpectedly went home for old-new year and I FINALLY played a couple of hours (3) on Uncharted. Started it on hard and I'm really enjoying myself. Surprised the pace is so high, you're constantly moving forward.
Love the combat, works better and more fluid than I expected (probably got a bit used to it through the demo). Melee system is great, especially for those times where you run out of amo and the last guy comes running at you with a shotgun and your screen is turning grey. Also didn't realise you could sneak up on people and stealth kill with the melee system. First time I did a drop kick was excellent too. Really has a lot of stuff I like, love the enemy behaviour, seeing them move around the environment, going prone, etc..
The game is constantly pushing me, like you're on one side of the cord pulling (touwtrekken?) but it won't give in, a bit unrelentless.

I wish I had a DualShock 3 though.

Edit: also, what's the difference between dts and dolby 5.1?

Hard is probably the perfect difficulty to play the game on, high on intensity but the manageability is still way up, no scenario is truly impossible and you don't really have to cheap your way through, and the gameplay doesn't feel cheap.

dalin80

Banned
in your average fps hiding behind cover and taking the odd potshot while cowering would seem cheap to me but it works so well with drakes style, he isnt a uber space marine so crouching behind a concrete slab and hoping for the best makes the character much easier to relate to.

really hope they carry on with that feeling n the sequel*

*pleasepleasepleaseplease

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
dalin80 said:
in your average fps hiding behind cover and taking the odd potshot while cowering would seem cheap to me but it works so well with drakes style, he isnt a uber space marine so crouching behind a concrete slab and hoping for the best makes the character much easier to relate to.

really hope they carry on with that feeling n the sequel*

*pleasepleasepleaseplease

I am telling you if they had included as a special skin to get once you beat the game the Space bald Marine this game would have imploded! :D

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Elbrain said:
I am telling you if they had included as a special skin to get once you beat the game the Space bald Marine this game would have imploded! :D

nah ..do not want

Hairy Sea Pirates > Bald Space Marine

I want more Hairy Sea Pirates games RAWR

Greg

I was going to say this was my game of the year, but then the God of War II soundtrack kicked on my playlist (one of the only game soundtracks I have), and it reminded me how amazing that game was.

I need to play through both back to back and compare.

avaya

I reached the part where the gollums-on-steroids kill Eddie, you climb the rope and then the chase begins.
PS3 froze. Too chicken shit to continue :lol

Ferrio

Banned
avaya said:
I reached the part where the gollums-on-steroids kill Eddie, you climb the rope and then the chase begins.

My game froze exactly there too, only freeze it did. I was pissed too cause I hadn't saved in a long time.... good thing for auto saves.

gogogow

avaya said:
Holy shit, my PS3 froze exactly there too.
But I quickly restarted the PS3 and continued :D

Top Bottom