• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Steroyd

Pharmacy said:
oh what theres an explaination???????????????????

oops, gave up as soon as i started fighting them

better finish it then :)

What do you and Kermit the frog have in common?

YOU'RE BOTH MUPPETS.
Finish the Fight. :p

Why am I wasting bandwidth on you, you're playing on easy.
Indifferent2.gif

SRG01

Kittonwy said:
You're still early in the game.

Try playing another third-person shooter after Uncharted and you might realize how utterly clunky everything else is in comparison and you'll realize why Uncharted is being appreciated for what it is.

Hey HEY, don't you go messin' with Warhawk now. :lol :D

Dibbz

Getting close to unlocking Elena now. At about 700 something points with about 35 treasures found.

Cartoon drake is amazingaa. I thought it might be cel shaded or something :/ Man I was suprised o.0 Shame that the AK rips through his back though :|

Like I mention before the unlocks in the game are really amazing. It would be great if devs put this much content into their games.

Was messing around witht the filters too. To me it seems like ND is joking around with the next gen filer, because it kinda adds a layer of brown to everything :lol

One place where the filter kicks ass though is here imo.

No Filter
2139340101_3cc376e95d_b.jpg

Next Gen Filter
2139349111_bf69acc236_b.jpg

REV 09

Having played most of the big games from both Sony and Microsoft this year, the only high quality title left on my gaming plate for the year was Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. That's why I was excited to see that Gamefly had finally shipped the game to me a few days ago. After christmas settled down, I was able to pop it in last night for a few hours. I didn't have to work today so i spent most of the day playing through the game and finally made it to the credits with an overall game time of 6 hours and 55 minutes, which truthfully speaking, makes Uncharted have about as much value as a game as the single player campaigns from Microsoft heavy hitters Halo 3 and Gears of War (which are often trolled for their short campaigns). Of course, Microsofts games did so well because they realized that shipping a 7 hour single player game just isn't going to set the sales charts on fire. In short, if Uncharted had multiplayer and/or coop then it could have been a AAA title. So that's what Uncharted isn't, now i'll get to what Uncharted is.

Uncharted is a damn good 7 hour game. The best part of the game imo were the story elements. These include the plot which had me the whole way through, the characters who were full of charm, the cutscenes which are very well scripted and the dialogue which was excellent in game and during cutscenes. I loved the story up until the crap that happens during the last 20% of the game, but it still ended well despite the unneeded twist.

The gameplay is very solid and offers a mix of genres, but isn't the top of it's class in any of them. The shooting is very similar to Gears, but imo doesn't "feel" as good as Gears. I also don't like how when you're aiming it looks like Nathan is shooting much further to the right than where the reticule is on the screen. The angle isn't right and it just looks odd at times. When he aims from cover the angle is more accurate, but when out of cover it's just off.

The controls in general are a tad floaty. Most of this has to do with Nathan's floaty as hell animations. He literally floats through the gamespace and this floatiness (probably not a word) is most apparent in the platforming. The platforming in Uncharted is below par imo...i did not like this aspect of the game. Nate doesn't move with hardly any momentum and can just leap around like he weighs 5 pounds. The objects in the gamespace that are used for platforming (ledges, ropes, vines, rocks, etc.) can also be very deceiving. For instance, many times you'll use chains for platforming, however, there are times when identical chains that are within easy reach are visible in the background yet when you attempt to jump for them Nathan simply refuses to grab them. This can also happen with ledges and crevices throughout the game. This makes the platforming feel very trial and error at times because you often don't know what the developers want you to grab a hold of and what they do not want you to grab a hold of. Nathan can also sometimes make very long leaps, leaps that I would have assumed were too far, yet he makes them and you must go that way. This caused me to take other leaps that I thought Nate may be able to make, but this time actually happened to be too far. This caused me to be totally unsure at times if Nathan could or could not make the jump and the only way to know for sure is to jump...again trial and error.

Puzzles were a joke compared to anything from **** Raider or Prince of Persia. The platforming was also worse than both of those series, but the story, characters, and combat were better.

I loved the hand to hand stuff, but i had to use it sparingly because it is very easy to get killed while in a fist fight.

Flashlight....why the hell doesn't an explorer have a flashlight? Yes, sometimes you get to use a light, but there were times when i would have used it when i couldn't because it's totally not in the player's control. It's located on Nathan's hip, and doesn't have a button assigned to it. Something else that is odd is that sometimes the light is linked to the right stick as in where you're looking, and other times it is static and turns only when the player's body moves (not where he looks). Why the inconsistency?

Vehicle missions were all good except for the first jetski mission..how is that fun?

Sound was excellent. Awesome score, dialogue, and great use of sound effects. It sounded really good on my setup.

Graphics are very good, but i'm not jumping up and down like many others. Uncharted suffers from poor image quality imo. The entire game shimmers. It isn't a jaggy..it's something with the textures, they glisten for no reason. Nate's hair does this quite often. Framerate is fine. There is a little bit of tearing and pop in but it can be overlooked. The shimmering textures made the game look worse to me for some reason. I did find that some of the darker areas looked better because this shimmering didn't happen as much (maybe it has something to do with the lighting). The game overall looks damn good, but i wasn't walking away saying that it is the best on the market or anything. I prefer Bioshock visually over Uncharted, but it's probably the best on the PS3.

And that wraps up my "short" review. It's the best exclusive that the PS3 has and I can't wait to play future sequels. Hopefully Naughty Dog can add a great multiplayer component to the game to give me an incentive to buy it. It's a very linear 7 hour experience, and though it does actually offer a nice set of achievements, this is nothing that any 360 game doesn't have and isn't something that makes Uncharted a purchase instead of a rental. Regardless of whether you choose to buy or rent it, you should play it because it is a damn fine game and is probably around my 6 or 7 spot for my top 10 games this year.

Overall: 9/10

REV 09 said:
Overall: 9/10

Nice writeup bro thats a great review.
I agree that having multiplayer would have been awesome but not having it doesn't stop the game from being my GOTY simply because the rewards are excellent and the game is so fun for me it had immense replayability.

I disagree about the graphics and aside from the first time I saw the plants in Arcadia I wouldnt even put Bioshock in the top 5 best looking games this year.
And even with the shimmer I think its easily the best looking game on any console and the first game to really set the ps3 apart visually from the others.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
This game has by far the best textures and lighting I have seen since now gen began and those pics prove me right.

kbear

Dibbz said:
Cartoon drake is amazingaa. I thought it might be cel shaded or something :/ Man I was suprised o.0
You got a pic of cartoon drake? i'm curious now
edit, or is that the skin in those 2 pics?

Chris R

Is the game only 720p or was that just for the demo? Because I was able to hook my PS3 up to a nice HDTV for the first time yesterday and the game looked rather poor... GT5P Demo blew it away no questions asked, as well as several other 720p demos I have on the PS3.

Kittonwy

Banned
rhfb said:
Is the game only 720p or was that just for the demo? Because I was able to hook my PS3 up to a nice HDTV for the first time yesterday and the game looked rather poor... GT5P Demo blew it away no questions asked, as well as several other 720p demos I have on the PS3.

The game is 720p.

Chris R

Kittonwy said:
The game is 720p.
Would I have to change some settings on the TV to make it look better? Because the demo looked pretty bad while other games looked just fine. The textures looked good, but there were lots of jaggies visible and the frames seemed to chug every now and then.

Steroyd

*Crushing + Mirror world = where the fuck am I pwned. @_@

*Crushing difficulty subject to change during play.

I can't wait to try flip world everytime I die that will really tie my brain in knots.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
rhfb said:
Would I have to change some settings on the TV to make it look better? Because the demo looked pretty bad while other games looked just fine. The textures looked good, but there were lots of jaggies visible and the frames seemed to chug every now and then.

I don't think anything can be done with that since your console is set to output 720p and your t.v 720 thats how the game is supposed to look unless I missed something.

wolforce

rhfb said:

I have no jaggies or frames drop in the game.

acklame

Just beat the game.

Wow! That was fucking awesome, great story too. This is my favorite game of the year and easily naughty dog's best game yet imo. Anyone who owns a ps3 needs to get this asap, it's the best ps3 game yet.

andycapps

Ok, I'm only up to the chapter after the demo mission.... This game is seriously AFW. So far I'm completely absorbed by the story. I was actually telling my wife that she could probably enjoy watching this game for the sheer fact that it's like watching a movie, at least the cutscenes. The acting, writing, everything is just top notch. Can't wait to play this some more tonight.
Awww poor Sully! His character was so good it's too bad they couldn't keep him around. :lol

Pharmacy

Banned
andycapps said:
Awww poor Sully! His character was so good it's too bad they couldn't keep him around. :lol

sully comes back as a mecha robot from ancient japan to avenge his father and then nate goes super saiyan and the game gets really cool

andycapps

Pharmacy said:
sully comes back as a mecha robot from ancient japan to avenge his father and then nate goes super saiyan and the game gets really cool

Sounds like a good outtake for the game! Nah seriously, his character was really cool. I guess it says something about how well they did with the story when I was a little sad to see a character go away.

BeeDog

andycapps said:
Sounds like a good outtake for the game! Nah seriously, his character was really cool. I guess it says something about how well they did with the story when I was a little sad to see a character go away.

Keep playing.

andycapps

BeeDog said:
Keep playing.

Ok, now I'm curious. I really wish i would have stayed home from work today so I could have finished it, but that's not the responsible thing to do for my family. Oh that I were young and had no responsibilities.

woah woahhh woahh!!!
the last 5 chapters are damn incredible.
They should have marketed the game this way, it would have sold billions.
Uncharted 2 will be fantastic!!!

Jeff-DSA

Wow, what a gorgeous game! I've only played up through the first 4-5 chapters, but so far it's pretty cool. The story is starting to move along at a better pace and the action has picked up. I don't really like the gun play too much, it feels a bit awkward, but it's not terrible.

The graphics are great, but the screen tearing is really frustrating and distracting. Without the tearing, this could be one of the top games (if not the single best) in regards to visuals on any console so far.

Up until this point, it's basically **** Raider minus the boobs and butt. I love **** Raider (the good ones) though, so I can't complain too much about that. I have a feeling it's set to change soon, however. The cinematic feel of the game is incredible though! Few games can match that feel right now. The characters and dialog are also a lot of fun, so they should carry the story well.

steve

Banned
Finished this up late last night, what a ride. The final third of the game really elevated itself into legendary status for me, it became much less of a slow, methodical type of game, to more of a run and gun affair. The intensity ramps up like crazy, and like I mentioned earlier, the change of pace really elevates the game onto a whole other level of awesome.

Platforming in Uncharted is brilliant as well, my wife was constantly agasp watching me pull off some of the insane acrobatics required to traverse some of the environments, it really did feel exactly like a next-gen ICO at times.

Best voice acting in a videogame? Me thinks yes. It doesn;t come from the Heavenly Sword school of melodrama, it's much more casual and thus IMO, more convincing. It really did feel like I was watching an episode of Firefly at times, especially with the amazing orchestral score by Greg Edmonson of Firefly fame.

Uncharted is the very best Indiana Jones, **** Raider, Prince of Persia and Resident Evil game you've ever played. It takes all the best elements from all of those games and combines them into one incredibly fluid and exciting adventure that had our attention from start to finish.

I cannot wait for a sequel! This is one that shall remain in my collection for years to come.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The tearing is not as bad, only the uber will complain. It never got in the way, I did notice it though. And only because I am a forum dweller that knows a little more than the average consumer. Even then this game is far from bad in the tearing department.

Furoba

Finished the game just now. What a ride indeed.
Aside from a few glitches here and there, Naughty Dog has launched yet another class franchise with Uncharted. Can't wait for the sequel.

steve said:
Finished this up late last night, what a ride. The final third of the game really elevated itself into legendary status for me, it became much less of a slow, methodical type of game, to more of a run and gun affair. The intensity ramps up like crazy, and like I mentioned earlier, the change of pace really elevates the game onto a whole other level of awesome.

Platforming in Uncharted is brilliant as well, my wife was constantly agasp watching me pull off some of the insane acrobatics required to traverse some of the environments, it really did feel exactly like a next-gen ICO at times.

Best voice acting in a videogame? Me thinks yes. It doesn;t come from the Heavenly Sword school of melodrama, it's much more casual and thus IMO, more convincing. It really did feel like I was watching an episode of Firefly at times, especially with the amazing orchestral score by Greg Edmonson of Firefly fame.

Uncharted is the very best Indiana Jones, **** Raider, Prince of Persia and Resident Evil game you've ever played. It takes all the best elements from all of those games and combines them into one incredibly fluid and exciting adventure that had our attention from start to finish.

I cannot wait for a sequel! This is one that shall remain in my collection for years to come.

Steve bought time you joined this fing party congrats man.

Angelcurio

My copy of the game arrived yesterday, and i am loving it so far. I am currently on chapter 6.

The only thing i dislike about the game is that there are too much shooting sections so far. Chapters 1-4 were awesome, lots of exploration, but since i started chapter 4 it has been gunfights after gunfights, and it can become quite repetitive. Lets hope that in this chapter they let me explore a lot like in the first ones.

steve

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
Steve bought time you joined this fing party congrats man.
I know, it's been painful watching you all have so much fun with this! Now I have to balance a second playthrough with my first Assassin's Creed run I'm starting tonight.

But Uncharted is calling to me man, I can't stop thinking about all the damn treasures I missed on my first run. Only 32 of 60 found. :(

And I was anal about checking everywhere too! ><

Jeff-DSA

LiquidMetal14 said:
The tearing is not as bad, only the uber will complain. It never got in the way, I did notice it though. And only because I am a forum dweller that knows a little more than the average consumer. Even then this game is far from bad in the tearing department.

Compared to other console experiences, it's pretty bad. I think the fact that I'm on a 61" 1080p set only magnifies the issue, however. Like when I see a tear, it's in a section of the screen that's like 15 inches across.

Before I get into this, I need to say that I love the graphics. I think they are very, very, good, but they definitely have some issues. The worst issue is the tearing. Some people may not be so sensitive to it, but I think it's as bad as frame drops. Second, there are frame drops quite often. They aren't so severe that they cause big slowdown, but they cause less than buttery smooth camera pans. Also, there is some pop in when a new screen loads, but it's fairly brief. It's not as bad as what you see with the UT3 engine games, but you do see it. Finally, 90% of the time the bloom lighting looks great, but at times it's a bit much. Nathan's shirt glows at times and it just looks kinda funny. It's like a '70's dream sequence or something.

I love the game, but I think a lot of people are in danger of overhyping the graphical experience. It's very, very, good, but it's nowhere near flawless from a graphical standpoint. It's still better than most.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Angelcurio said:
My copy of the game arrived yesterday, and i am loving it so far. I am currently on chapter 6.

The only thing i dislike about the game is that there are too much shooting sections so far. Chapters 1-4 were awesome, lots of exploration, but since i started chapter 4 it has been gunfights after gunfights, and it can become quite repetitive. Lets hope that in this chapter they let me explore a lot like in the first ones.
It gets more balanced as you progress. And the game keeps you on your toes as to when the next gun fight will be. Some are obvious, like when you enter a big open plaza like area. And others are from left field. It strikes a good balance. I will admit the first 4 chapters were fun because of the exploration and mystery involved. It picks up nicely later on.

Jeff-DSA said:
Compared to other console experiences, it's pretty bad. I think the fact that I'm on a 61" 1080p set only magnifies the issue, however. Like when I see a tear, it's in a section of the screen that's like 15 inches across.

Before I get into this, I need to say that I love the graphics. I think they are very, very, good, but they definitely have some issues. The worst issue is the tearing. Some people may not be so sensitive to it, but I think it's as bad as frame drops. Second, there are frame drops quite often. They aren't so severe that they cause big slowdown, but they cause less than buttery smooth camera pans. Also, there is some pop in when a new screen loads, but it's fairly brief. It's not as bad as what you see with the UT3 engine games, but you do see it. Finally, 90% of the time the bloom lighting looks great, but at times it's a bit much. Nathan's shirt glows at times and it just looks kinda funny. It's like a '70's dream sequence or something.

I love the game, but I think a lot of people are in danger of overhyping the graphical experience. It's very, very, good, but it's nowhere near flawless from a graphical standpoint. It's still better than most.

I definitely agree...texture pop in can be very obvious in some sections, and shimmering is there...but honestly, one thing to mention is that these factors are more and less prominant in different sections of the game...from the
fortress
onwards the game really does surpass any console game Ive played graphically, minus artistic preferance

Top Bottom