• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Fady K said:
Wow, this thread is huge. If NeoGAF was the world, this game wouldve sold like crazy upon release.

I should of man it should hopefully this game will have long legs hopefully.

Pachinko

Shane bettenhausen really nailed it when he said this was the most accuratly reviewed game of the year. It's been consistently getting alot of 8.5/10 scores which to me is exactly what it deserves. I have just enough niggling complaints with it to lower it's score from a 9 and all of them concern combat, basically I find shooting in this game to be a bit of a chore and it suffers to much from dragons lair itis. That is to say, you die ... alot. Until you figure out where the enemies come from , stuff you can possibly destroy to kill enemies or find sniper rifles. There were times when it just wasn't much fun. The cutscenes, graphics and gameplay outside of the shooting are what kept me going with this though.

A sequel would do well to clean up the combat (have much less of it) and add a few more puzzles. I can't really bitch about anything else though, it's a very solid title and if you own a ps3 it's most definetly worth picking up, it's not like you really have a whole lot else to play.

Synless

Fady K said:
Wow, this thread is huge. If NeoGAF was the world, this game wouldve sold like crazy upon release.
If the world were smart this game would have sold like crazy too....instead they bought Wii Carnival games.............

Fady K

Pachinko said:
Shane bettenhausen really nailed it when he said this was the most accuratly reviewed game of the year. It's been consistently getting alot of 8.5/10 scores which to me is exactly what it deserves. I have just enough niggling complaints with it to lower it's score from a 9 and all of them concern combat, basically I find shooting in this game to be a bit of a chore and it suffers to much from dragons lair itis. That is to say, you die ... alot. Until you figure out where the enemies come from , stuff you can possibly destroy to kill enemies or find sniper rifles. There were times when it just wasn't much fun. The cutscenes, graphics and gameplay outside of the shooting are what kept me going with this though.

A sequel would do well to clean up the combat (have much less of it) and add a few more puzzles. I can't really bitch about anything else though, it's a very solid title and if you own a ps3 it's most definetly worth picking up, it's not like you really have a whole lot else to play.

Add more puzzles (and some platforming) - that would be great. But I really, REALLY loved the combat/shooting. It was so so fluid! I also liked the challenge in this game, everytime I died it was for something I messed up in. This game is easily a 9.5+ for me.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Pachinko said:

I don't know what you are talking about but my first play through on Normal I did not die in any combat situation till the last part of the game
The Navarro part
. Actually I would say it was a bit on the easy side but the platforming was the part were I died the most not because I did not know where to jump to but because I wanted to explore more.

Kittonwy

Banned
Pachinko said:

Actually Shane is totally wrong, they're just trying to justify their own score because the game has been averaging 9 from most of their media brethren.

The shooting is actually very good in terms of the aiming and cover-system, better than what's available in terms of third-person shooters, they DO telegraph some of the enemy placements but if they telegraph everything it would be too easy for some, still you get plenty of cover and plenty of abilities to take the enemies down, I'm nowhere near a hardcore gamer and I didn't really die much on hard, crushing is another story.
Indifferent2.gif

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Kittonwy said:
Actually Shane is totally wrong, they're just trying to justify their own score because the game has been averaging 9 from most of their media brethren.

The shooting is actually very good in terms of the aiming and cover-system, better than what's available in terms of third-person shooters, they DO telegraph some of the enemy placements but if they telegraph everything it would be too easy for some, still you get plenty of cover and plenty of abilities to take the enemies down, I'm nowhere near a hardcore gamer and I didn't really die much on hard, crushing is another story.
Indifferent2.gif

Yep yep that was one of the things I was thinking about because a lot places did give Uncharted the 9 oh well.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Pachinko said:

I have to agree with this.

i still think Resistance, cod4 and ratchet are easily the best ps3 games so far.

Uncharted is good and i really enjoyed it but i feel the combat can become a chore. IMO

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
TEH-CJ said:

i still think Resistance, cod4 and ratchet are easily the best ps3 games so far.

Uncharted is good and i really enjoyed it but i feel the combat can become a chore. IMO

Actually i was cravin for combat stuff after the platforming break I don't know why. I actually love the strategic use for the cover and was always thinking about different scenarios with different approaches.

Grayman

Pachinko said:

If you kept dieing and had to trial and error the game you weren't very good at it. There was only one spot where I found you had to remember the order of directions that guys came from.

Grayman

The S-Word said:
wow, im enjoying the hell otu of this game. why wasnt it on more GOTY praises?
Well I could call it game of the year but i haven't played the other games that people call contenders.

Kittonwy

Banned
The S-Word said:
wow, im enjoying the hell otu of this game. why wasnt it on more GOTY praises?

Uncharted is by far the GOTY for me, and most of the major games this year I've played (at least the SP campaign).
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
TEH-CJ said:

Are you kidding? COD4 combat is pretty lame compared to Uncharted, cheap endless flood of dumb enemies who will literally spam you with grenades, no real use of clever cover-based mechanics whereas cover-based flank-or-be-flanked shooting scenarios with intelligent enemies was the norm in Uncharted. On hardened the COD4 SP campaign was the definition of a fucking chore, the presentation was amazing but in terms of actual gameplay 90% of the time it's not all that fun.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy said:
Uncharted is by far the GOTY for me, and most of the major games this year I've played (at least the SP campaign).
Indifferent2.gif

yeah i had a year of X360 (from feb to dec, red ringed) so i got to play all those games (mass effect, bioshock, halo, cod4, etc) and i got my ps3 this past friday. I forgot how much I enjoyed character-driven action / adventure games. It's the most interesting game i have from last year.

Gibb

Totobeni said:
i myself ..still searching for the silver llama :(

well.. read on to get this one..
It's in chapter 2, I think, the part where you discover the entrance to the dungeons together with Sully. At a point you need to cross a big gap (by shooting the barrel on the other side), before you cross the gap, turn left and walk as far as you can to the left side and towards the gap. If it wasn't this one, there's another treasure a bit further on, after you take a dive into the water, and to your right just after you get out of the water. It's one of these two.

Fady K

The S-Word said:
yeah i had a year of X360 (from feb to dec, red ringed) so i got to play all those games (mass effect, bioshock, halo, cod4, etc) and i got my ps3 this past friday. I forgot how much I enjoyed character-driven action / adventure games. It's the most interesting game i have from last year.

Seriously, those are the kind of games I really really enjoy. Be it survival horror, action, adventure, point n click, etc. I want stuff like this to sell really well so we can keep getting more n more of them.

KINGMOKU

HOLY SHIT. I just downloaded the demo, and have played thru a touch of the game, and I can say, without a shadow of a doubt, that it is the best looking game I have ever seen. WTF?

pswii60

moku said:
HOLY SHIT. I just downloaded the demo, and have played thru a touch of the game, and I can say, without a shadow of a doubt, that it is the best looking game I have ever seen. WTF?

Full game is mind blowing.

Steroyd

Awe man I played RE4 a couple of days ago, and oh man has Uncharted spoiled me never realized how dated RE4 feels until now.

Uncharted might wreck RE5 for me, thanks Naughty Dog. :lol :(

pswii60

Steroyd said:
Awe man I played RE4 a couple of days ago, and oh man has Uncharted spoiled me never realized how dated RE4 feels until now.

Uncharted wrecks everything from a graphical standpoint. Everything else looks shit now (apart from Mass Effect, anyway). It's this year's Gears.

Sony's shared technology is working wonders. Just think what MotorStorm 2, Uncharted 2 and..... God of War 3 will look like!

WrikaWrek

Banned
Steroyd said:

Really?

Interesting, it was the complete opposite to me. I finished Uncharted, and i thought it was a good game but it had some bad things going for it, like the story, the platforming, the vehicle portions were horrible, overall not an impressive game, but pretty good.

Then i played Res4 just last week, and man, that game is amazing, the level design, the enemies, the bosses, the feel of the weapons, the tension, the Qtes, it's just such an amazing game. And for me, it actually made Uncharted pale in comparison.

Res4 is an all time classic to me, Uncharted was just another action game.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
RE4's gameplay does feel incredibly restricting after getting used to the freedom of movement during fighting you're given in Uncharted. Hell, it does the same for Gears also, and that game is way ahead of RE4 in that sense. Regardless of which game's atmosphere you prefer, it's hard to argue against this.

Story and voice acting in RE4 are complete joke compared to Uncharted too, but I guess it's different strokes for different folks. RE4 does have great, thick atmosphere that I really liked though.

KINGMOKU

Man, o man. I am SO buying this game. Just brilliant demo thus far. It's not just about the graphics(Wich are beyond stunning. I mean its like getting a blowjob for your eyes) the gameplay, and voice acting, the funny bits, just WOW.

The DEMO is better then alot of games I have played this year.

andycapps

moku said:

You know the sad thing is that the demo is but a shadow of the full game. I thought the same until I got the full game and still think that is one of the weekest levels. :lol Go buy the full game now!

jakncoke

Banned
Just beat it for the first time this morning, amazing. The greatness of the game overshadows the length. Now I just need to go back and do all the things I didn't when I playing the game like killing X amount with every gun, several other random things and collecting all the treasures.

Jeff-DSA

I don't like comparing RE4, Gears, and Uncharted, because they are vastly different concepts. If you want to compare just gameplay mechanics, however, then I think Uncharted gets handed a 3rd place trophy there. The cover system in Uncharted sucks compared to Gears, and the aiming and shooting is clunky as all get out when compared to RE4 (even with RE4's restrictive movements). The fact that ALL combat in the game relies on cover makes the awkwardness a bit unforgivable. Heck, I prefer Tomb Raider's run and gun to Uncharted's pretty weak cover system.

Uncharted could be much, much, better if they did a few things. First, they need to fix the combat. I really don't like that every encounter is pretty much the same. It's all cover based combat, usually you can't sneak up on enemies, and there's no variety to the enemies themselves. Second, they need to tone down on the formulaic nature. Walk into a wide open space, clear enemies, deal with second wave, platform for 1-2 minutes, go down a corridor, walk into a wide open space, clear enemies...

I feel bad because I'm coming off as a downer in such an exciting and happy thread, but I think we're guilty of overpraising here. The game is good, yes, but it might not be wise to be calling out other AAA games until we see if it holds up over time.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Jeff-DSA said:
The cover system in Uncharted sucks compared to Gears, and the aiming and shooting is clunky as all get out when compared to RE4 (even with RE4's restrictive movements).
Hmm, I don't think I could disagree more even if I tried. While there's always room for improvement everywhere, I feel that if you play the game right, UDF is the least clunky one, on both cover system and shooting mechanics. You are hardly every actually forced to just do cover shooting - on harder difficulties especially, mixing up melee and shooting, and positioning yourself to your advantage is the key, and it's also more fun and more efficient to do than just pop and shoot. Once it clicks, it all flows amazingly well, and it never lets go, one enemy encounter is never the same as the next one. Again, not so sound condescending, but you sound like you've played the game the wrong way maybe.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Marconelly said:
Story and voice acting in RE4 are complete joke compared to Uncharted too, but I guess it's different strokes for different folks. RE4 does have great, thick atmosphere that I really liked though.

Res4 barely has a story, what it has is badass characters and bosses, amazing athmosphere and sequences.

Saying Uncharted has a better story than Res4 or better voice acting means almost nothing, as most other games do too :lol

KINGMOKU

Jeff-DSA said:
I don't like comparing RE4, Gears, and Uncharted, because they are vastly different concepts. If you want to compare just gameplay mechanics, however, then I think Uncharted gets handed a 3rd place trophy there. The cover system in Uncharted sucks compared to Gears, and the aiming and shooting is clunky as all get out when compared to RE4 (even with RE4's restrictive movements). The fact that ALL combat in the game relies on cover makes the awkwardness a bit unforgivable. Heck, I prefer Tomb Raider's run and gun to Uncharted's pretty weak cover system.

Uncharted could be much, much, better if they did a few things. First, they need to fix the combat. I really don't like that every encounter is pretty much the same. It's all cover based combat, usually you can't sneak up on enemies, and there's no variety to the enemies themselves. Second, they need to tone down on the formulaic nature. Walk into a wide open space, clear enemies, deal with second wave, platform for 1-2 minutes, go down a corridor, walk into a wide open space, clear enemies...

I feel bad because I'm coming off as a downer in such an exciting and happy thread, but I think we're guilty of overpraising here. The game is good, yes, but it might not be wise to be calling out other AAA games until we see if it holds up over time.
I HATED the cover system in Gears, and after just playing the Demo for several hours I like it a HELL of alot better.

Gears seemed restrictive, and it seemed I had to wail on the button to get the dude to climb over the wall, e.t.c. Uch does it fluidly, and easily.

Man I need to actually buy this game now. Just sublime.

This really doesnt do it justice as my camera blows(I should just shoot it with my real camera instead. Never been good with stills for some reason :lol ) but man does this game look mind blowing;

eyeblowjob.jpg

Brilliant.

Fady K

moku said:
Man, o man. I am SO buying this game. Just brilliant demo thus far. It's not just about the graphics(Wich are beyond stunning. I mean its like getting a blowjob for your eyes) the gameplay, and voice acting, the funny bits, just WOW.

The DEMO is better then alot of games I have played this year.

U have a PS3 now moku?? If you love the demo, youll love the full game ;)

Jeff-DSA

moku said:
I HATED the cover system in Gears, and after just playing the Demo for several hours I like it a HELL of alot better.

Gears seemed restrictive, and it seemed I had to wail on the button to get the dude to climb over the wall, e.t.c. Uch does it fluidly, and easily.

Man I need to actually buy this game now. Just sublime.

This really doesnt do it justice as my camera blows(I should just shoot it with my real camera instead. Never been good with stills for some reason :lol ) but man does this game look mind blowing;

<image>

I'm not saying that the game isn't gorgeous, because it is. Aside from some tearing and occasional heavy bloom, it's probably the best looking game to date on a console. My issue is that the combat is such a consistent part of the game, and they don't do a whole lot to add variety to the encounters. Also, the fact that animations will routinely cancel out a headshot is pretty irritating. If you hit a guy in the stomach, but then hit him in the head while he's still reacting to the first shot, it won't count as a headshot. Not a game breaker, but kinda irksome all the same.

I do think that Uncharted is one of the better games of the year, it's just not the best. Is it in the PS3 top 5? Without a doubt.

KINGMOKU

Fady K said:
U have a PS3 now moku?? If you love the demo, youll love the full game ;)
Absolutly. I have always owned every system of every generation. This one just took longer as the entry cost was the price of a motorhome.

Quick question;

Why does this game run at 720p on the PS3, when all my 360games run in 1080i? Not that it seems to matter as it looks orgasmic now, but being the whore that I am, seeing it in 1080i would be interesting.

BeeDog

moku said:
Absolutly. I have always owned every system of every generation. This one just took longer as the entry cost was the price of a motorhome.

Quick question;

Why does this game run at 720p on the PS3, when all my 360games run in 1080i? Not that it seems to matter as it looks orgasmic now, but being the whore that I am, seeing it in 1080i would be interesting.

Uncharted should have 1080i support, you sure you have it enabled in the XMB?

dralla

You're 360 upscales to 1080i, the PS3 doesn't, it outputs the native resolution unless you "force" 1080i by unchecking 720p in the XMB. Generally you'll want the PS3/360 to output at 720p since 95% of games are 720p native, this will let the TV do all the scaling, which should have a better scaler than what's inside 360/PS3.

Kittonwy

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:

I completely disagree. Uncharted's cover system is clearly better than Gears, most cover you can vault over, you can even stand on them, use them to reach higher places in some cases, even high walls you can occasionally use to peak over, way more mobility, without having that awkward wall-slam.

You CAN stealth-kill enemies, but it takes SKILL. You can definitely rush enemies with the machine gun or the shotgun, heck you can even go from cover to cover to get close so you can take them down one by one with melee, but you can't fight like an idiot against unreasonable odds out in the open. There's alot more variety and strategy to fighting in Uncharted's often two tier environments than basically a flat map with blocks, more importantly the enemies are intelligent, and can and do use some of the same tools the player can, no dumbass bullet sponges or mindless zombies here.

Calling out these other so-called "AAA titles" shows that Uncharted does what they did better and their mechanics simply did NOT hold up over time.

Indifferent2.gif

BeeDog

moku said:
New owner dude, what does that mean? XMB?

Xross Media Bar, the menu system for the PS3. Go to the display settings (or whatever they're called in the English menus), and you will be able to set what the maximum resolution used should be.

mauaus

moku said:

Quick question;

1080i is no better than 720p...

andycapps

moku said:

Quick question;

You can run it in 1080i if you want, but the default is 720p if you have that checked in the XMB (which someone just explained). I'd stick with 720p unless your tv doesn't support it, users have mentioned more tearing when running at 1080, I believe. 720p always looks better in games, at least for my eyes, but everyone's are different.

Kittonwy

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:
I'm not saying that the game isn't gorgeous, because it is. Aside from some tearing and occasional heavy bloom, it's probably the best looking game to date on a console. My issue is that the combat is such a consistent part of the game, and they don't do a whole lot to add variety to the encounters. Also, the fact that animations will routinely cancel out a headshot is pretty irritating. If you hit a guy in the stomach, but then hit him in the head while he's still reacting to the first shot, it won't count as a headshot. Not a game breaker, but kinda irksome all the same.

I do think that Uncharted is one of the better games of the year, it's just not the best. Is it in the PS3 top 5? Without a doubt.

Compared to Gears which doesn't really reward headshots with the pistol? Compared to RE4 where zombies only die by headshots once every blue moon unless you're holding a shotgun?

It doesn't cancel out the headshot, unless you miss your shot, even by a hair, it's still a miss, which isn't a cancel, it's called MISSING A SHOT. There's more variety in the kind of shoot-out scenarios in Uncharted (traps laid all over, barrels, high cover, and often not a linear shoot-out that results from enemies staying on the other side) than in Gears which functions mostly by waiting for the locusts to vault over the cover right into your stream of bullets, most of the time a stream of bullets fired from cover, locust moves in the open, blindfire cheese, another locust vaults over cover, blindfire cheese, such variety. Rushing an enemy with melee is much more intuitive and convenient in Uncharted than in Gears, and if you shot the enemy a few times already, the enemy is just a dropkick away from being taken out, versus having to rev up the saw THEN try to get close.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Compared to Gears which doesn't really reward headshots with the pistol?

Really? What happened to all those heads i blew up with my pistol online?

I guess i'm not getting what you are saying there.

Kittonwy

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
Really? What happened to all those heads i blew up with my pistol online?

I guess i'm not getting what you are saying there.

SP I'm talking about I don't play Gears online, on hardcore it takes more than one headshot to kill a grub with a pistol, in Uncharted a headshot is a headshot, one shot, one kill. Uncharted rewards headshots with every weapon, Gears not really.

Basch

Kittowny said:
Compared to Gears which doesn't really reward headshots with the pistol? Compared to RE4 where zombies only die by headshots once every blue moon unless you're holding a shotgun?

It doesn't cancel out the headshot, unless you miss your shot, even by a hair, it's still a miss, which isn't a cancel, it's called MISSING A SHOT. There's more variety in the kind of shoot-out scenarios in Uncharted (traps laid all over, barrels, high cover, and often not a linear shoot-out that results from enemies staying on the other side) than in Gears which functions mostly by waiting for the locusts to vault over the cover right into your stream of bullets, most of the time a stream of bullets fired from cover, locust moves in the open, blindfire cheese, another locust vaults over cover, blindfire cheese, such variety. Rushing an enemy with melee is much more intuitive and convenient in Uncharted than in Gears, and if you shot the enemy a few times already, the enemy is just a dropkick away from being taken out, versus having to rev up the saw THEN try to get close.

I agree with Kittowny. Getting headshots is very rewarding. Especially when there are swarms of enemies. The animations do not cancel out headshots. I know this because in a panic I would sometimes keep shooting at them while showing that they were shot. This helped save lots of time for me. The movements are quite realistic and are only slightly exaggerated. So if you are somewhat decent with Physics you can predict how they will react and generally be able to supress resistance quite well. Later in the game, you may meet some
bucket heads
that take more than one shot to the head to kill them. :D I found the shooting and combat in Uncharted to be some of the finest elements in a game I have had the pleasure to play.

Top Bottom