• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Madman said:
The big difference between the two is the ability to "cancel" being on cover in Uncharted. With Gears, you have to use A to get off of cover, which is the same button that makes you switch from cover point to cover point. Having the X button in Uncharted allows you to exit cover without having to worry about just sticking to another cover point. That is the big flaw in the Gears cover system, and I really hope it is corrected.

The ability to roll into cover is something I want from Gears 2 as well.
Moving the left stick back exits you from cover in Gears, and if you aren't touching the left stick in Gears, A usually functions as an Exit cover. Only when you hit A while holding the left stick in a direction is what causes you to move from cover to cover.

Madman

GDJustin said:
Frankly I don't give a shit about realism...The fact is, it's easier for me to kill enemies with the weak pistol than the Uber AK - and this shouldn't be the case.
Isn't a 9mm bullet larger then a AK 47 bullet(9mm to 7.62mm)? If it is using 9mm hollow point rounds, it would definitely be more deadly then a AK 47.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Madman said:
Isn't a 9mm bullet larger then a AK 47 bullet(9mm to 7.62mm)? If it is using 9mm hollow point rounds, it would definitely be more deadly then a AK 47.

You must have missed the part where I said I didn't give a shit about "realism" in a game with the level of unrealistic shenanigans in it that Uncharted has.

When you're using "realism" as an argument, you're hiding behind it.

The POINT isn't caliber-size, here. The POINT is weapon balance. And its a valid one.

Madman

GDJustin said:
You must have missed the part where I said I didn't give a shit about "realism" in a game with the level of unrealistic shenanigans in it that Uncharted has.

When you're using "realism" as an argument, you're hiding behind it.

The POINT isn't caliber-size, here. The POINT is weapon balance. And its a valid one.
If the point is weapon balance, then what is the issue? If the AK were this uber powerful weapon that killed everything, then you wouldn't need the
M4 and Sniper rifle
later in the game. The whole reason behind the power of the AK is weapon balancing.

GDJustin

Madman said:
If the point is weapon balance, then what is the issue? If the AK were this uber powerful weapon that killed everything, then you wouldn't need the
M4 and Sniper rifle
later in the game. The whole reason behind the power of the AK is weapon balancing.

The issue is that I'm at chapter 11 and have found every single weapon less effective than the beginning pistol you have from moment 1. The grenade launcher aside, clearly. Although even that has such limited ammo that I don't travel with it... just use it on the spot.

J-Rzez

Basch said:
I've been looking to invest in a 7.1 system. What kind do you have? You like it: rate it? How much did it cost you? I've always wanted to get one, but with games coming out like they are it makes it especially hard for me. You make the wait a lot harder.

I have a cheapo Onkyo (well, it was $450 when i bought it) that i bought to hold me over until Denon showed their new wares. I think you can get one for around $200-300 now. Honestly, I always had Denon receivers, and I'm impressed how reliable and good sounding these Onkyo's are. I have it in full 7.1 with Polk speakers and a stand alone self powered sub until i went all out upgrading to theatre room standards and leave this for the living room, but it really sounds good surprisingly for the money. I would never buy a HTiB for $400-600 when you can spend "around" that and end up with this.

A lot of games really take advantage of this type of rig, and it really IMHO adds to the immersion. R:FoM, Motorstorm, Ratchet, and now Uncharted... You want to talk about Epic sounds? Let alone add in you blu-ray movies will love it too in 5.1, 6.1, 7.1PCM sound, it's a worthy investment. Black Hawk Down sounds incredible.

But don't be fooled, these games sound Hollywood standard. Actually, some movies would strive to sound as good as Uncharted.

Madman

GDJustin said:
The issue is that I'm at chapter 11 and have found every single weapon less effective than the beginning pistol you have from moment 1. The grenade launcher aside, clearly. Although even that has such limited ammo that I don't travel with it... just use it on the spot.
I'll argue this all when you have completed the game.

GDJustin

Fair enough. But if gamers eventually come across weapons that are more effective/specialized so that the overall weapon balance in Uncharted isn't a big problem, I'll still argue that it's a problem in the first half of the title. ;)

If they had to nerf the AK so that subsequent secondary weapons provided a noticable step up (as it sounds like might be the case), then that's a negative.

But fair enough. I'll be back after I'm farther in.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
AK47 is much more effective than pistol if you have to run out of cover and shoot while running. Also for blindfire.

I don't see what the problem is with pistol being as useful as it is. That kind of weapon suits the game's theme the best anyways. You'll get overall-better weapons than the starting pistol later on in any case.

AKS

GDJustin said:
Fair enough. But if gamers eventually come across weapons that are more effective/specialized so that the overall weapon balance in Uncharted isn't a big problem, I'll still argue that it's a problem in the first half of the title. ;)

If they had to nerf the AK so that subsequent secondary weapons provided a noticable step up (as it sounds like might be the case), then that's a negative.

But fair enough. I'll be back after I'm farther in.

They had to nerf the AK because the AK-47 would tear through everything if it dealt realistic damage. All the weapons are fairly useful in the game. There would be no use for the standard pistol if they made the AK-47 as powerful as it reallly is. In reality, the AK has far better range and considerably more power than a pistol. The way they've balanced the game, all the weapons are fairly effective. Less realistic but better for the game.

GDJustin

Please don't use the word "realistic" in this discussion again.

Remember the jet-ski level? I'll reload that chapter, and shoot 500 grenades at the first building I see. The building won't take any damage, and I won't be out of grenades. TEH REALISM!!1! AMIRITE?

The lack of "realism" isn't a knock against the game. Very, very few games strive to be realistic. That's what makes them fun.

But to even THINK about using realism / lack of realism into a debate about weapon balance is ludicrous. I could probabaly sit down and literally write out 500 examples of "unrealistic" things that happen in Uncharted, if I had the time.

J-Rzez said:
Sucks to be some of you guys without 7.1 PCM rigs. Because if you did, you'd all agree this is the best sounding game ever. The music, sfx, ambient sounds, the best in the business.

Not enough people are mentioning the quality and pure sex-ness of the Audio, and that disappoints me. Come income tax refund time, go buy a cheapo PCM capable rig ($200 onkyo and $200-400 in speakers), you're missing out one of the key advantages of the PS3. And, you're also in turn missing out on your blu-ray movies.

Yes, the game sounds amazing! And I do agree that sound is more important than most people think - except when they go to the movies :)

I prefer a setup with more emphasis on sound rather than features. Sometimes it's better with a great 5.1 decoder, a great amplifier and excellent speakers than simply going for the latest 7.1 pcm all-in-one rigs. I have a high-end 5.1 setup and it'll cost me thousands and thousands of dollars to get something similiar in 7.1. But the pure joy of the sound from the system is worth every penny. Invest in good speakers and a really, really good amplifier. It'll pay off for years to come (and every game you've played earlier will surprise you once again).

AKS

GDJustin said:
Please don't use the word "realistic" in this discussion again.

Remember the jet-ski level? I'll reload that chapter, and shoot 500 grenades at the first building I see. The building won't take any damage, and I won't be out of grenades. TEH REALISM!!1! AMIRITE?

The lack of "realism" isn't a knock against the game. Very, very few games strive to be realistic. That's what makes them fun.

But to even THINK about using realism / lack of realism into a debate about weapon balance is ludicrous. I could probabaly sit down and literally write out 500 examples of "unrealistic" things that happen in Uncharted, if I had the time.

I said Uncharted is NOT realistic and that it is BETTER AS A RESULT. Don't bother writing your 500 examples. Spend that time reading the posts to which you reply. If that doesn't work, try Hooked on Phonics.

Started my third playthrough last night (on crushing), I almost never replay single player games these days but UC just keeps calling me back. Thank the AI for that.

I still can't get the damn pistol whip combo to work. It's Square, L1, Square right? Any tips on the timing? When I try it like the regular (square, triangle, square) combo it seems to short circuit at L1.

Christopher

I'm on chapter 17 I think the only thing dissapointing is that there are no "boss" fights so far - maybe there will be some - but the same thing over and over again is a bit lackluster - with the enviorment/whole ancient curse/ruins thing they had going on a few bosses would have been cool.

Basch

J-Rzez said:
I have a cheapo Onkyo (well, it was $450 when i bought it) that i bought to hold me over until Denon showed their new wares. I think you can get one for around $200-300 now. Honestly, I always had Denon receivers, and I'm impressed how reliable and good sounding these Onkyo's are. I have it in full 7.1 with Polk speakers and a stand alone self powered sub until i went all out upgrading to theatre room standards and leave this for the living room, but it really sounds good surprisingly for the money. I would never buy a HTiB for $400-600 when you can spend "around" that and end up with this.

A lot of games really take advantage of this type of rig, and it really IMHO adds to the immersion. R:FoM, Motorstorm, Ratchet, and now Uncharted... You want to talk about Epic sounds? Let alone add in you blu-ray movies will love it too in 5.1, 6.1, 7.1PCM sound, it's a worthy investment. Black Hawk Down sounds incredible.

But don't be fooled, these games sound Hollywood standard. Actually, some movies would strive to sound as good as Uncharted.

Thanks for the recommendation. Will consider greatly. :D Sound for me is extremely important. Just as important to me as image quality. I may just get one going this year if everything fits nicely with all the plans I'm making.

So you're saying I'll have yet another reason to go back and play Resistance, Ratchet, and Uncharted. I'll take every excuse I can get. 2008 will be sensory overload for me. :D

Kittonwy

Banned
hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Started my third playthrough last night (on crushing), I almost never replay single player games these days but UC just keeps calling me back. Thank the AI for that.

I still can't get the damn pistol whip combo to work. It's Square, L1, Square right? Any tips on the timing? When I try it like the regular (square, triangle, square) combo it seems to short circuit at L1.

Square R1 Square.

AKS said:
I said Uncharted is NOT realistic and that it is BETTER AS A RESULT. Don't bother writing your 500 examples. Spend that time reading the posts to which you reply. If that doesn't work, try Hooked on Phonics.
:lol I remember Hooked on Phonics.

Kittonwy

Banned
How many of ya are playing with DS3?
angry.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Oops, I meant R1. Is the timing the same though (R1 as the punch lands)? I always seem to shoot the guy instead, heh.

You're supposed to shoot the guy for the second hit, square finishes the three-hit combo off with a punch (with Drake holding the pistol) hence "steel fist", well it's technically the gunslinger combo, but gunslinger is basically punch + steel fist (shoot, punch). It's always punch shoot punch.
Indifferent2.gif

CBal2424

Banned
All I can say is wow, I just started playing this game today and im really impressed. Im already on the 8th chapter and have 23 treasures, but im going to play through multiple times to collect everything thing, how many chapters are in this game anyway?

Synless

Dante said:
I am. Controller is so much better, no more dropouts :)
Same here, Since I got the DS3 I have not had a single dropout in any game!! I had a ton while playing Uncharted with the old controller, I went through the entire game on crushing and not one. I'm pretty happy about it, and the rumble kicks ass in this game too.

tribal24

Banned
CBal2424 said:
All I can say is wow, I just started playing this game today and im really impressed. Im already on the 8th chapter and have 23 treasures, but im going to play through multiple times to collect everything thing, how many chapters are in this game anyway?

15:D >.> thats the same thing someone told me when i asked and that surprized me even more

Kittonwy

Banned
Synless said:
Same here, Since I got the DS3 I have not had a single dropout in any game!! I had a ton while playing Uncharted with the old controller, I went through the entire game on crushing and not one. I'm pretty happy about it, and the rumble kicks ass in this game too.

Teh rumble is very strong in teh DS3.
Indifferent2.gif

Banned
So, I've just picked this up and done the first level. What's up with the low quality HDR/bloom? And does anyone else find the way the textures on drake's shirt change all the time really distracting? I thought they were supposed to wrinkle / crease realistically. The tearing is hardly minor either.

andrewfee said:
So, I've just picked this up and done the first level. What's up with the low quality HDR/bloom? And does anyone else find the way the textures on drake's shirt change all the time really distracting? I thought they were supposed to wrinkle / crease realistically. The tearing is hardly minor either.
Oh... It's you again.

Synless

andrewfee said:
Wait what????

Greg

andrewfee said:
I say you done some more levels first.

Synless

Metalmurphy said:
Don't mind andrewfee, that's all he does here.

Funny thing is, in the first level drake doesn't even have a shirt...
He's clearly playing a different game. That's all I could think when I read that.

Basch

andrewfee said:

:lol That's rich. Very funny.

Banned
Synless said:
He's clearly playing a different game. That's all I could think when I read that.
The shirt is just three textures that blend together, it's not animated at all and looks ridiculous.

You've got the base texture and two wrinkle ones on top. Going left/right instantly fades between the two, and moving forward fades them in/out, it looks so bad.
http://sr-388.net/videos/DSCF8966.MP4

The photo doesn't really show it off that well, but the glow just breaks up into lots of little blocks with the bloom/hdr.

DSCF8962.jpg

I thought you guys were all playing on big HDTVs and marvelling at how they weren't taking shortcuts on all the little details?

Synless

andrewfee said:
The shirt is just three textures that blend together, it's not animated at all and looks ridiculous.

You've got the base texture and two wrinkle ones on top. Going left/right instantly fades between the two, and moving forward fades them in/out, it looks so bad.

The photo doesn't really show it off that well, but the glow just breaks up into lots of little blocks with the bloom/hdr.

DSCF8962.jpg

I thought you guys were all playing on big HDTVs and marvelling at how they weren't taking shortcuts on all the little details?
That shot looks like it came straight outta the "Next Gen Filter" and secondly it does more by even making the shirt wrinkle at all then any game has ever done for shirts or clothing.

Edit* Infact that shot clearly came from the Next Gen filter because that bloom and lack of color is not in the normal game. Nice try little troll.

Christopher

andrewfee said:

Have you fucking played the game? Or are you randomly coming in here making random bullshit comments?

The shirt moves with drake/wrinkles and when he's wet it moves differently as well.

Also to people who always talk shit about next gen not having any lush colors in their games. play this game in some of the jungle areas - amazing.

Pachinko

So what's everyone's wish list for another outing with Mr drake ?

Someone mentioned downloadable content for this version, well given that all the levels and such are already on the disc and perhaps only minimal voice work would be required they could have a 3 or 4 chapter download where you play as Elena in between the other stages , showing how she gets to meet up with drake. They'd be light on the action, more about cover , stealth and videotaping stuff. I mean sure, given what happens in the storyline that last idea winds up being pointless but it's still something to keep track of. Additionally they could add another downloadable episode where you play as sully for a couple chapters. Make it so that completing these downloadable chapters would add more costumes or perhaps a weapon to the whole thing.

As far as a sequel goes , again, the main assets are already done with the engine pretty well finished- clean it up a little more to remove ALL the screen tearing instances, if that means toning down the odd effect then so be it, if that means 1 less enemy on screen at a time then go nuts, balance the stages so it still works if drake can only fight 4 guys at once in an massive outdoor environment. Additionally they could go even further with the adventure stuff, have more jumps, crashes , explosions , a story bigger in scope that perhaps copies the recent Hollywood trend - make 2 stories that go together so next year we get Uncharted: Drakes misfortune folllowed a year later by Unchrated: Drakes Refortune :p Idono, anyone else shoot out some ideas.

Basch

Pachinko said:
Someone mentioned downloadable content for this version, well given that all the levels and such are already on the disc and perhaps only minimal voice work would be required they could have a 3 or 4 chapter download where you play as Elena in between the other stages , showing how she gets to meet up with drake. They'd be light on the action, more about cover , stealth and videotaping stuff. I mean sure, given what happens in the storyline that last idea winds up being pointless but it's still something to keep track of. Additionally they could add another downloadable episode where you play as sully for a couple chapters. Make it so that completing these downloadable chapters would add more costumes or perhaps a weapon to the whole thing.

That right there is a good idea. One of the best ideas I have heard for the game. Not really drawn to downloadable content, but that would certainly do it for me. Kudos, good sir. Here's a clip with very nice music for you for coming up with something so awesome. :D

And for anybody else who just feels like partying. :D

Full song for those that liked the clipping.

andrewfee said:

You sir, are out of your fucking mind...

andrewfee said:

DSCF8962.jpg
How is that any different from anyother game? Or even real life
tree%20in%20sunlight.jpg

andrewfee said:
We are. Now GTFO troll.

Basch

untoldhero said:
Does DS3 work on PAL systems, I really want to try it with Uncharted for crushing mode.

I would think so. Many people are just using the imports from Japan. And most people here are not from Japan. :lol

Top Bottom