• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Madman

I just finished Uncharted yesterday. Excellent game. I really liked the shooting/cover system, much more then Gears. I actually picked up Gears again to see if my memory was making my perception of the games were distorted, and it turns out it wasn't. Uncharted's cover system is much more fluid and easy to use. The big flaw in the Gears cover system was so many actions being on one button. It caused many situations where you would get stuck jumping around cover instead of getting off cover and running. I hope they copy Uncharted in the next Gears and give some other way to exit cover.

Uncharted itself was a journey that really impressed me all the way through. I even liked the
jet ski segments and was able to beat the final boss rather easily once I figured out what you had to do. It probably only took me aorund 5 or 6 times, and it would have been 1 or two if I had been more careful
. I really liked the characters and the general setting. Just all round great. Improvements would include fixing the tearing, more weapons, and larger platforming sections. In the end, it's one of my favorite games I have ever played and the wait for a sequal will be a long one.

Basch

Madman said:
I just finished Uncharted yesterday. Excellent game. I really liked the shooting/cover system, much more then Gears. I actually picked up Gears again to see if my memory was making my perception of the games were distorted, and it turns out it wasn't. Uncharted's cover system is much more fluid and easy to use. The big flaw in the Gears cover system was so many actions being on one button. It caused many situations where you would get stuck jumping around cover instead of getting off cover and running. I hope they copy Uncharted in the next Gears and give some other way to exit cover.

Uncharted itself was a journey that really impressed me all the way through. I even liked the
jet ski segments and was able to beat the final boss rather easily once I figured out what you had to do. It probably only took me aorund 5 or 6 times, and it would have been 1 or two if I had been more careful
. I really liked the characters and the general setting. Just all round great. Improvements would include fixing the tearing, more weapons, and larger platforming sections. In the end, it's one of my favorite games I have ever played and the wait for a sequal will be a long one.

Glad you liked it. Never played Gears, but from what I saw from my brothers playing it Uncharted has a much more smooth and polished cover system.
I also liked the Jet Ski segments. The boss fight at the end was not so much as hard as it was just figuring out what to do. Just like you said. It took me a little while to get it. But before I did, I had some pretty hilarious moments just messing around.
:lol

Christopher

how the hell did this get an 8 from Gamespot ...I mean really this is one of the best games I've personally ever played.

I'm reading their review and I can't really find anything negative in it for it to be slapped with an 8 like that.

tsc tsc

BasicUAE

Christopher said:
how the hell did this get an 8 from Gamespot ...I mean really this is one of the best games I've personally ever played.

I'm reading their review and I can't really find anything negative in it for it to be slapped with an 8 like that.

tsc tsc
QFfreakin'T

Okay I just recently bought a PS3 along with Uncharted the other day after years of being a MS fan and not a Sony fan. I have to say, Uncharted looks great. But its got tearing and framerate issues, which hinder it just a bit from "blowing everything else out of the water."I am glad I finally quit my bitchin and became a multi-console owner though.

Concept17

Memphis Reigns said:
Okay I just recently bought a PS3 along with Uncharted the other day after years of being a MS fan and not a Sony fan. I have to say, Uncharted looks great. But its got tearing and framerate issues, which hinder it just a bit from "blowing everything else out of the water."I am glad I finally quit my bitchin and became a multi-console owner though.

Weird, I've never noticed either..

Welcome to the fam.

Dragon

Banned
Memphis Reigns said:

You playing in 1080i?

Fady K

moku said:
Absolutly. I have always owned every system of every generation. This one just took longer as the entry cost was the price of a motorhome

Awesome, thats how you get to play the best of everything.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Just got my 50th treasure on my second play through. This time on Hard. Not leaving any stone unturned. I want all 60.

Can anybody give me some tips on getting the One Punch medals. They're a bitch.

BatmanX

Finished the game just two days ago. I've enjoyed it quite a bit, but I think that there is much more potential with this franchise. I've found that being too balanced on shooting and too linear were the major faults. The beginning of the game its very depressing for the missing of new ideas and the use of old cliches ala tomb raider. Personally I'd like to see an uncharted 2 more focused on puzzles and exploration (free roaming, please).
Technically the naughty dog have done marvellous things, I just hope that they gonna fix the annoying tearing issues of the graphical engine. Talking about the unlockable and the extras are very very good and this seems to be a standard for the first party games.

drugo

p1000848qi2.jpg

p1000849ap4.jpg

p1000850qg6.jpg

p1000851yx1.jpg

This costume is awesome, I'm playng crushing with mirror mode on . :)

bigswords

I do hope in the next game, they tweak up the jumping controls in this game. After playing Assassin Creed and Mario Galaxy I'm pretty spoiled in terms of tight jumping controls. And for fuck sake remove the fucking still camera it fucks up the controls.

Other then that the game really is an orgies for the senses.

FirewalkR

drugo said:
Pics of teh shameful.

This costume is awesome, I'm playng crushing with mirror mode on . :)

Elena, you slut... just a few weeks ago you were all cozy and stuff with ma boy Nate, and now this? Damn women, some steroid-muscled dude shows up, promises vacations in a tropical island with a jet-sky and safari hunting, and off they go.

*grumbles*

bigswords said:
I do hope in the next game, they tweak up the jumping controls in this game. After playing Assassin Creed and Mario Galaxy I'm pretty spoiled in terms of tight jumping controls. And for fuck sake remove the fucking still camera it fucks up the controls.

I agree with all of it, plus the animation is bad with jumping and climbing. It's basiclly a 3rd person shooter with no dept in characters. My biggest dissapointment is no puzzles and/or exploring. Whoever designed the jetski controls need to be shot, that really killed the game at that point for me. I expected more puzzles and less endless hordes of enemies. A little more variety in environments would be nice also.

Good points are:
Great graphics
Good controls(minus jetski part)
Good voice acting

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
BatmanX said:
The beginning of the game its very depressing for the missing of new ideas and the use of old cliches ala tomb raider. Personally I'd like to see an uncharted 2 more focused on puzzles and exploration (free roaming, please).
I thought beginning of the game was great, and quite different from TR games. I think there being two characters and all the exchanges between them was very novel, and was pulled off perfectly. They should have put some more difficult puzzles in there, I agree with that 100%, other than that, balance between exploration and shooting was good I thought. Keep in mind that more exploration and more puzzles but less action means less replayability, because exploration and especially puzzles are really only fun once or maybe twice, but good action can be infinitely replayable.

bigswords said:
I do hope in the next game, they tweak up the jumping controls in this game. After playing Assassin Creed and Mario Galaxy I'm pretty spoiled in terms of tight jumping controls.
AC doesn't have what I'd call 'tight' jumping controls. I don't know if what that games has can be called jumping controls to begin with really, as it's all automated. Whatever they do I really hope they don't go that direction for Uncharted sequel. I'll take character that responds to my controls every time I want any day over better blended jumping animation.

macksplack said:
Whoever designed the jetski controls need to be shot, that really killed the game at that point for me.
What was the problem with them? Second jetski sequence had some really great 'fighting' against water dynamics. I don't think i've seen anything like that in a game before.

CoG

Finished it today. A solid game across the board. The story and acting were excellent. Bald Space Marine fans may not like it but it was a great change of pace from the glut of brown-palette games out now.

Pros:

- Combat system and controls were spot on.
- Platforming didn't suffer from bad jumps.
- Story was great and the characters were really likable.
- Graphics were the best I've seen on a console.

Cons:

-
Wasn't feeling the supernatural angle, but it fit in with the "Raiders" vibe so in the end I'm ok with it.
-
Fighting the same guys over and over got repetitive, which the point above tries to address.
-
I bust my ass finding a hidden temple or whatever and there are bad guys inside waiting for me? WTF? Diminishes the reward.

Can't wait for Uncharted2!

Marconelly said:
What was the problem with them? Second jetski sequence had some really great 'fighting' against water dynamics. I don't think i've seen anything like that in a game before.

It felt really clunky and i kept crashing in the rocks and the barrels ofcourse, the hole stopping to shoot mechanism also contributed to the annoyance of that level.

So you didn't have trouble in the up stream level?

If not you are really good :D

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
macksplack said:
It felt really clunky and i kept crashing in the rocks and the barrels ofcourse, the hole stopping to shoot mechanism also contributed to the annoyance of that level.

If I don't have problems with a level the first time I go though it, it probably means the level is too easy :p I'm not that good of a gamer :p

You're fighting against river, going upstream, it's not supposed to be a complete walk in the park. However, it's very helpful when you learn that in that sequence you don't have to stop and shoot, you can just tap R1 without any aiming, and Elena shoots by herself pretty much without missing. That level is basically your choice if you want to make it easier or not.

Basch

macksplack said:

I thought that level very fun. It was a refreshing take on a vehicle level. Instead of constantly zipping around and shooting things, you can position yourself just right to avoid all that but still have to constantly be on the move. It was a different pace from other videogames for sure, but I like it all the more because of it. I only died twice during that part I think. The rest was tension filled with a "When am I going to die?" mentality. :D I guess I was too good to die, or too young. Nate wouldn't let me kill him. :lol

Basch

Marconelly said:
However, it's very helpful when you learn that in that sequence you don't have to stop and shoot, you can just tap L1 without any aiming, and Elena shoots by herself pretty much without missing. That level is basically your choice if you want to make it easier or not.

Wait, I thought R1 was to shoot. I did use L1, but I held it. You just needed to tap it? But she wouldn't shoot would she? Now your confusing me. Did I miss something? Sometimes I just tapped R1 and it seemed as if she would aim for the closest enemy and shoot. Seemed to work for me at least. :D

theBishop

Banned
I want the next story to be more imaginative. I'm all for borrowing the pulp style, but the Uncharted's story never transcends its influences.

The next game should have more mixing of platforming/shooting. There's only a few instances in Uncharted where a firefight breaks out during a platforming section. The stark division between platforming and combat sometimes breaks the illusion and makes it feel "gamey".

More and harder puzzles. The journal was a cool idea, but it gave away too much and made the puzzles completely unfulfilling.

The hand-to-hand combat should be tweaked. I loved running up on a guy and clobbering him with a haymaker, but the feel of the melee combat wasn't brutal enough.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Basch said:
Wait, I thought R1 was to shoot. I did use L1, but I held it. You just needed to tap it? But she wouldn't shoot would she? Now your confusing me. Did I miss something? Sometimes I just tapped R1 and it seemed as if she would aim for the closest enemy and shoot. Seemed to work for me at least. :D
Yeah sorry, I should have said "R1" instead of "L1" in my post. I'll edit it accordingly.

Thorhald

This game is faaantastic.

Question though ... does anyone know where i can find the "bonus: behind the scenes for the cinematic creation" videos online anywhere? I'd love to show some friends/coworkers them.

Madman

macksplack said:

I beat it on my second try. I didn't understand what the complaints were while I was playing. I thought it was pretty fun since it made you really have to be quick at making descisions on where you were going to go.

RuGalz

Trying to play the game on crushing right now... Omg it's rough, but not too bad if I turn on infinite ammo lol.

Otoh, I think ND needs to either patch the game to add a Time Attack Arena Mode or make a DLC for it w/ global leader board. Playing the game for the 3rd time I find myself getting bored with exploration part of the game and just want to get to the battles.

How do you unlock crushing? I beat it on hard but I can only go to hard no crushing.

Oh yeah and some of those Medals are so fun to get. The steel fist is fuckin awesome. Soften the enemies up with a couple shots then kill them with a finishing punch! It's like a whole new game! I hope in the next game they put more of an emphasis on that kind of stuff.

I'm seeing Drake do stuff I still haven't seen yet with that steel fist medals. Like I've seen hime slide under someone and hit em in the nuts! :lol The game is still surprising me :D

Did anyone else think the Fortress is one of the most impressive levels? Graphics wise it looks insane! Climbing up that lighthouse type tower and looking down to the ocean with L2 looks incredible.

Also I was playing it again and fell off the cliff near the U-boat but I fell in the water and survived! It was pretty awesome since Drake started screaming like he was going to die but I fell in the water and survived!

Amazing game.

GrayFoxPL

You don't have hard when you start new game?
That doesn't sound right

Don't use continue game.

Maybe you switched difficulty mid game and that's the reason.

Memphis Reigns said:
Wow there is still hope for people like you. I know two guys that are gamers (one of which plays counter-strike) that have Never owned a playstation! ever! It seems like sometimes there's no convincing people like them who have had an xbox and not a ps2.

I mean if last gen you were strictly x-box even with ps2 having so many great titles I guess you'll never get a playstation.

I still remember telling one of them about blu-ray and the ps3 last year, of course he thought blu-ray would fail Hahaha

This is one of the only games that frame-rate and tearing don't bother me too much since the game is so incredible. But yeah it's there is some parts, but it's not there all the time. But trust me I notice those things too :)
GrayFoxPL said:
You don't have hard when you start new game?
That doesn't sound right

Don't use continue game.

Maybe you switched difficulty mid game and that's the reason.
I don't have a hard on when I start it? :lol

Ohh I think I did do continue at the end of the last game but it started me over. I guess I gotta go to new game.

Concept17 said:
Weird, I've never noticed either..

Welcome to the fam.

Hey thanks man. The PS3 really is a damn good machine. I'm having a blast with uncharted. The feel of it is more mature than the 360, which is what I like best about it, and I think its slowly becoming my overall machine of choice. I mean, I WTF'd at the fact that you can browse the internet AND put any picture you want as your wallpaper. I'm sold.

Madman

pr0cs said:
This is possible on the other system as well.
I think he was talking about the ability to do so from the system's browser.

Memphis-you can also download music, videos, and themes. I think even mods/maps for UT3 can be downloaded directly, assuming you have an external storage device.

Madman said:
I think he was talking about the ability to do so from the system's browser.

Memphis-you can also download music, videos, and themes. I think even mods/maps for UT3 can be downloaded directly, assuming you have an external storage device.

Yes. And that's the other thing. This thing is more like a multi-media machine than a gaming machine. I haven't figured everything out yet. Theres a grip you can do on the PS3. I've dloaded a theme already and a few demos. Do I need a memory stick for mods and things?

dalyr95

Just had that problem, I just finished the game on hard, but I didn't unlock the medal. What I did was change the setting on the opening level from normal to hard, but it looks like that invalidates the fact I played 99.9% of the game on hard. What you need to do is in the main menu, go to game and change it to hard, before you continue a new game!

Madman

Memphis Reigns said:
Yes. And that's the other thing. This thing is more like a multi-media machine than a gaming machine. I haven't figured everything out yet. Theres a grip you can do on the PS3. I've dloaded a theme already and a few demos. Do I need a memory stick for mods and things?
From what I understand (I haven't tried it myself) yes. The site is UT3mod.com and you can download to a thumb drive or a memory device, exit the browser, start the game, and install it. You need an external storage device either way, downloading it from the PS3 browser is just more convenient. Music, themes, videos, and pictures usually do not require an external device.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
FINALLY managed to dive into Uncharted. I bought my PS3 for it this fall, but then had to promise my family I wouldn't buy it when it came out. (they always complain I'm hard to xmas shop for because I always just buy everything I want myself).

Then we had an extended stay at my parent's house, and I didn't get back to my house till last week. The wait was MADDENING.

I'm trying to take it slow - I was playing just one chapter a night, but some chapters are too short for that, so I've been playing about ~1 hour a night. I'm at the spot where you get ambushed in the big cathedral-looking area, on your way to pick up the speedboat.

So far I'm enjoying it quite a bit, but it isn't quite the "dream game" I was hoping it would be. I wish it were an exploration/platforming game with a side of shooting, instead of a shooting game with a side of platforming.

But even besides that, the shooting action isn't bad by any means, but I think it could be better. The weapon balance feels out of whack. I generally carry around the .9mm and the AK47, but I find myself using the 9mm almost exclusively. It only takes three shots to take down a pirate, and you have a lot more control. Compare this to the automatic weapons that are harder to control, and take many more bullets to boot.

The platforming bits always seem a bit obvious/mindless, as well. There's always just one path, and no real skill involved in getting from point A to point B. They should have blantently stolen Tomb Raider Legend's timing-based system for ledge-leaping, to make the platforming more rewarding for the gamer.

So, ultimately, for me the scenario saves the experience. I'm not enamored with any aspect of the gameplay, but the fact that the game truly feels like it's taking me on an epic adventure and carefully unfurling a genuinely interesting mystery is what is keeping me playing.

dalin80

Banned
Memphis Reigns said:
But its got tearing and framerate issues, which hinder it just a bit from "blowing everything else out of the water.".

er, no it doesnt. not if you play it at the proper res anyway.

AKS

Basch said:
Glad you liked it. Never played Gears, but from what I saw from my brothers playing it Uncharted has a much more smooth and polished cover system.

I have both and can comment on that. Both systems are very similar. Gears' cover system has a few extra tricks, such as moving from one barrier to the next that are not right next to each other, but I personally preferred Uncharted's system because the areas in the game tend to be less claustrophobic and you don't run into the problem of clinging to the wrong surface in confined, enclosed areas. Both games have this problem, such as when you are near a doorway and cling to the wrong wall; it's inherent in a cover system that doesn't require you to hold a button like Rainbow Six Vegas. But you encounter it much more often in Gears because you're often in narrow hallways and small rooms. Also, your character is larger on the screen in Gears and thus you don't have the wide open areas as often as in Uncharted.

I switched back and forth between these games a few times, playing each one a few weeks at a time. The combat is so similar that I kept hitting the wrong button to cover when switching between the two because the cover buttons are not in the same position on the controller. Both systems are almost identical and are really, really good most of the time.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
AKS said:
I have both and can comment on that. Both systems are very similar. Gears' cover system has a few extra tricks, such as moving from one barrier to the next that are not right next to each other
Dont' forget, Uncharted's system has some extra tricks on it's own, such as holding onto the top of the cover, and peeking over it to shoot or throw grenades.

One other, often missed feature of Uncharted's cover system is that you can really quickly do a 90 degree switch around the cover. Say you're at the corner of a wall, if you hold the left stick towards the wall behind the corner and press X, Drake will start running around the corner, then you immediately press O and he snaps to the wall around the corner.

Basically, quick X then O moves you around the corner while keeping you in the cover.

Moostache

Just finished Uncharted last week (did not get it until after Christmas)...

I only played it through on "normal" difficulty - but it was an awesome game. Defintiely one of the best I have played and really was the cherry on top of an overall incredible run of 2007 games for me:

Halo 3
COD4
Bioshock
Mass Effect
Uncharted
Assassin's Creed (very repetitive though)

Never been happier to be a multi-system owner than the 4th quarter of 2007...and then 2008 looks to be equally strong (if not tilted towards the PS3 instead of the 360 as in '07)...great time to be a gamer!

AKS

GDJustin said:
So far I'm enjoying it quite a bit, but it isn't quite the "dream game" I was hoping it would be. I wish it were an exploration/platforming game with a side of shooting, instead of a shooting game with a side of platforming.

But even besides that, the shooting action isn't bad by any means, but I think it could be better. The weapon balance feels out of whack. I generally carry around the .9mm and the AK47, but I find myself using the 9mm almost exclusively. It only takes three shots to take down a pirate, and you have a lot more control. Compare this to the automatic weapons that are harder to control, and take many more bullets to boot.

The platforming bits always seem a bit obvious/mindless, as well. There's always just one path, and no real skill involved in getting from point A to point B. They should have blantently stolen Tomb Raider Legend's timing-based system for ledge-leaping, to make the platforming more rewarding for the gamer.

So, ultimately, for me the scenario saves the experience. I'm not enamored with any aspect of the gameplay, but the fact that the game truly feels like it's taking me on an epic adventure and carefully unfurling a genuinely interesting mystery is what is keeping me playing.

They pace is consistent with a Hollwood blockbuster like the Indiana Jones films. Too many puzzles and too much exploration would interfere with they type of game they wanted to make.

The weapons balance are "out of whack" as far as realism is concerned, but if they truly made weapons damage realistic with the AK-47, you'd shred just about anything in your way and kill everything in one hit. I've personally seen an AK-47 break a concrete cinder block in half with a single bullet while I was in the Marine Corps. Hitting a person with even one of those rounds does immense damage, and you can spray hundreds of these rounds with automatic. Similarly, the Barrett 50 cal sniper rifle in Call of Duty 4 can decapitate you in one hit. The rounds are very large and heavy and are actually fired up at an angle and fall down on top of you, obliterating anything that strays into its path. It will remove a head or a limb without any problem. You are done if you get hit with that rifle. It takes a couple of rounds to the body to kill you in the game, but in reality, you can cut someone in half from over a mile away. How fun would Uncharted be if you could just tear through everything after you got the AK? The weapons in Uncharted are actually balanced so it's a better game, not for realism.

Madman

AKS said:
I have both and can comment on that. Both systems are very similar. Gears' cover system has a few extra tricks, such as moving from one barrier to the next that are not right next to each other, but I personally preferred Uncharted's system because the areas in the game tend to be less claustrophobic and you don't run into the problem of clinging to the wrong surface in confined, enclosed areas. Both games have this problem, such as when you are near a doorway and cling to the wrong wall; it's inherent in a cover system that doesn't require you to hold a button like Rainbow Six Vegas. But you encounter it much more often in Gears because you're often in narrow hallways and small rooms. Also, your character is larger on the screen in Gears and thus you don't have the wide open areas as often as in Uncharted.

I switched back and forth between these games a few times, playing each one a few weeks at a time. The combat is so similar that I kept hitting the wrong button to cover when switching between the two because the cover buttons are not in the same position on the controller. Both systems are almost identical and are really, really good most of the time.
The big difference between the two is the ability to "cancel" being on cover in Uncharted. With Gears, you have to use A to get off of cover, which is the same button that makes you switch from cover point to cover point. Having the X button in Uncharted allows you to exit cover without having to worry about just sticking to another cover point. That is the big flaw in the Gears cover system, and I really hope it is corrected.

The ability to roll into cover is something I want from Gears 2 as well.

AKS

Madman said:
The big difference between the two is the ability to "cancel" being on cover in Uncharted. With Gears, you have to use A to get off of cover, which is the same button that makes you switch from cover point to cover point. Having the X button in Uncharted allows you to exit cover without having to owrry about just sticking to another cover point. That is the big flaw in the Gears cover system, and I really hope it is corrected.

That's a good point. I really liked the controls of both games, though, especially after playing some of that awful Kane and Lynch demo.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Madman said:
Having the X button in Uncharted allows you to exit cover without having to owrry about just sticking to another cover point.
Alternatively, you can just pull the left stick away from cover to exit it, so you don't even need to press X most of the time.

Madman

Marconelly said:
Alternatively, you can just pull the left stick away from cover to exit it, so you don't even need to press X most of the time.
You can do that in Gears too, right? That works, but most of the time it leaves you vulnerable for a second, which is usually enough time in Gears to get really messed up, especially in online. Which also reminds me, they need to fix the blind fire in Gears 2. It's pretty pointless in 1 since you can be sniped while using it. I could go on with the things I think Gears needs, but that's OT.

J-Rzez

Sucks to be some of you guys without 7.1 PCM rigs. Because if you did, you'd all agree this is the best sounding game ever. The music, sfx, ambient sounds, the best in the business.

Not enough people are mentioning the quality and pure sex-ness of the Audio, and that disappoints me. Come income tax refund time, go buy a cheapo PCM capable rig ($200 onkyo and $200-400 in speakers), you're missing out one of the key advantages of the PS3. And, you're also in turn missing out on your blu-ray movies.

Basch

J-Rzez said:
Sucks to be some of you guys without 7.1 PCM rigs. Because if you did, you'd all agree this is the best sounding game ever. The music, sfx, ambient sounds, the best in the business.

Not enough people are mentioning the quality and pure sex-ness of the Audio, and that disappoints me. Come income tax refund time, go buy a cheapo PCM capable rig ($200 onkyo and $200-400 in speakers), you're missing out one of the key advantages of the PS3. And, you're also in turn missing out on your blu-ray movies.

I've been looking to invest in a 7.1 system. What kind do you have? You like it: rate it? How much did it cost you? I've always wanted to get one, but with games coming out like they are it makes it especially hard for me. You make the wait a lot harder.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
AKS said:
They pace is consistent with a Hollwood blockbuster like the Indiana Jones films. Too many puzzles and too much exploration would interfere with they type of game they wanted to make.

The weapons balance are "out of whack" as far as realism is concerned, but if they truly made weapons damage realistic with the AK-47, you'd shred just about anything in your way and kill everything in one hit. I've personally seen an AK-47 break a concrete cinder block in half with a single bullet while I was in the Marine Corps. Hitting a person with even one of those rounds does immense damage, and you can spray hundreds of these rounds with automatic. Similarly, the Barrett 50 cal sniper rifle in Call of Duty 4 can decapitate you in one hit. The rounds are very large and heavy and are actually fired up at an angle and fall down on top of you, obliterating anything that strays into its path. It will remove a head or a limb without any problem. You are done if you get hit with that rifle. It takes a couple of rounds to the body to kill you in the game, but in reality, you can cut someone in half from over a mile away. How fun would Uncharted be if you could just tear through everything after you got the AK? The weapons in Uncharted are actually balanced so it's a better game, not for realism.

I'm really enjoying Uncharted - you don't need to assemble the Defense Force. :p This seems to happen ANY TIME I post in an official topic saying basically "I like it - but here's what I'm not enjoying."

Frankly I don't give a shit about realism. Don't bring realism into a discussion about a game where one man takes out dozens of enemies at a time, not to mention the other supernatural elements.

The fact is, it's easier for me to kill enemies with the weak pistol than the Uber AK - and this shouldn't be the case. It is a balance problem, plain & simple.

As for the pacing, re-read the first part of my post that you quoted. I'm not saying Uncharted's pacing is bad. I'm saying it's pacing isn't what I wanted, which negatively impacted my own personal fun factor. And that's OK. If you wanted a shooter-oriented experience, you'll come away from Uncharted with a more positive overall impression than me. I myself am a bit burned out on shooters and would have liked more of a straight Dude Raider.

But (again), as I said, the strength of the scenario is really making the experience really enjoyable for me, and I'm looking forward to my 1 hr nightly Uncharted sessions :D

Dyno

Dizzan said:
Can anybody give me some tips on getting the One Punch medals. They're a bitch.

A bitch they are but I found the Five Brutal Combos in a row to be the hardest.

Run at your opponent while firing your handgun. Don't unload in him or he'll die. Just pepper him a couple times and then once your up at him hit square once.

I got the Steel Fist and the Steel Fist Expert in this way.

Top Bottom