• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Ashour

I have to say this game is the only game this generation which I finished more than 3 times and that’s amazing considering how many games came out since it’s release.

Sandman7

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Yes you can get all the trophies on a single playthrough on crushing.

Thanks for the reply. I was kind of hoping that wasnt the case so I would have an excuse to play through the game twice in quick succession over Christmas.

Still cant wait for the damn game to arrive. Is it wrong that I have ordered both LBP and Uncharted and I am actually more excited about Uncharted - a game I have already finished?

Sandman7 said:
Thanks for the reply. I was kind of hoping that wasnt the case so I would have an excuse to play through the game twice in quick succession over Christmas.

Still cant wait for the damn game to arrive. Is it wrong that I have ordered both LBP and Uncharted and I am actually more excited about Uncharted - a game I have already finished?

Both are great and neither seems to ever get old. So no, not wrong. LBP is awesome too though :D With the new search filters you can start playing some impressive stuff very quickly.

DeZimatoR

Banned
Rikyfree said:
I am having trouble downloading the trophy patch for this game, it's like it stops whenever the screen says it's downloading, then I get an error. I don't know what the problem is. I download off the psn all the time and my connection is okay. Anyone have any way to work around this?

Have you tried to delete your game save data? It may work...

icechai

got this recently, and omg has it been awesome so far. gf even loved playing (on easy), then beat it on hard, and now in the middle of crushing.

Is it just me or does crushing give the game a different feel completely? Hard was a bit tedious after beating it on easy, but playing it on crushing feels like a new adventure ^_^

DeZimatoR

Banned
mYm|17| said:
there's a patch to dl so that you can play to get the trophies?

Yep.

I'm going to start playing the game again today to get the few trophies I still don't have.

Uncharted has a lot of replay value, I love it :D

mYm|17|

DeZimatoR said:
Yep.

I'm going to start playing the game again today to get the few trophies I still don't have.

Uncharted has a lot of replay value, I love it :D

Cool, will get the patch when I get home from work. I guess you have to be hooked up to the internet to get the patch...........:lol .

Anyhow, I will definitely be playing it on crushing after I beat it on hard. This game is super fun and I usually don't play these types of games

icechai said:
got this recently, and omg has it been awesome so far. gf even loved playing (on easy), then beat it on hard, and now in the middle of crushing.

Is it just me or does crushing give the game a different feel completely? Hard was a bit tedious after beating it on easy, but playing it on crushing feels like a new adventure ^_^

It definitely does give the game a different feel. The enemies are so aggressive and so precise with their shots that you have to be alot more strategic then before. Its frustrating and really fun at the same time.

Count Jobula

Neo Member
Bought this game for my wife over a year ago.

Never tried it myself, then I heard trophies were out, thought I would give it a go.

Excellent game. Beautiful, plays well. I have NO complaints.

However I know the game is gonna finish soon >_<

Goldrusher

Rikyfree said:
I am having trouble downloading the trophy patch for this game, it's like it stops whenever the screen says it's downloading, then I get an error. I don't know what the problem is. I download off the psn all the time and my connection is okay. Anyone have any way to work around this?
Try disabling UPNP in the network settings.

mYm|17| said:
Cool, will get the patch when I get home from work. I guess you have to be hooked up to the internet to get the patch...........:lol .
If your system isn't connected to the internet, why would you bother with trophies ? :/

mYm|17|

Goldrusher said:
If your system isn't connected to the internet, why would you bother with trophies ? :/

Well my 360 and PS3 are right next to each other and I don't go on PSN alot. I am on Live more.

Just so happens that when I have been playing Uncharted (I only got the game saturday), my ethernet cable wasn't plugged into the PS3

mYm|17|

I just beat it tonight and man was it awesome. Definitely, the end was by far the hardest part for me.

Can't wait for Uncharted 2

Finally getting to this game. Started tonight and got through Ch 5. Took me 3 hours.

I browsed through the last page or two of this thread before starting to see what was being said about it lately. The rampant high-5'ing in here made me roll my eyes, but you guys just might be onto something. Wonderful experience so far! My thoughts up through Ch. 5...

Pros:
- Narrative, cut-scenes, characters. All very, very well-done. Elena and Nathan are great characters so far, and I can see Drake becoming a more widely known character with the sequel. He's cut from the same cloth as more recent American (cinematic) heroes -- anything but stoic (as we see too often in certain gaming protagonists), self-deprecating sense of humor, cocky, but even sensitive at times. Characters like John McClane come to mind, in addition to the explicit nod to Indiana Jones. (As an aside, very happy to see Elena in a near-full body wetsuit at the intro too; too many other devs would have had her in a bikini.) Parts of the story are told during the action as well, in the back-and-forth banter between characters. Anytime I can actively play while also hearing more about the plot, I'm impressed. The two don't happen often enough together in gaming.
- Visuals are just sick, and I'm enjoying the bright color palette.
- Default camera is tuned really well for me. I'm not a twitchy shooter, and I find myself able to get a satisfying number of headshots without an 'un-fun' amount of effort.
- The platforming is great; anims are great. I played about 5-8 hours of Prince of Persia recently, and this has the same kind of easy, gratifying platforming, except there's actually a good game surroudning the platforming. (Sorry Prince.)
- Gunplay is fine for me. It's not great, targeting can be a little spotty, but the hit animations are fun to see, and the target assist keeps things going smoothly. (I can see this being a complaint for hardcore shooter fans though.)

Cons:
- I'm red-green color-blind, and I have a really, really hard time picking out enemies amongst the foliage. I don't know if this is due to my color vision, or if others struggled with this as well. I was stuck in Ch 3 at the waterfall, because I couldn't see that there was an explosive barrel on the back on the Jeep (which, once exploded, tosses the Jeep into water, forming a bridge).
- Enemies can take a frustrating amount of damage, and I'm playing on easy. I also haven't gotten the hang yet of how they move after getting hit once (e.g., ducking their head and moving laterally), but I expect I'll get that down soon. But it means that I have enemies still dancing and juking after dumping dozens of rounds into them from the AK.
- No (or minimal?) enemy attack indicator. Related to the color blind issue -- I can't see where I'm being attacked from! I will get shot from somewhere, spin around looking, won't locate the enemy, then jump into cover, only to find I've managed to pin myself against a wall with an enemy shooting into me.
- When I shoot enemies in shallow water, it's nearly impossible to find their dropped ammo clips. A minor annoyance (unless it continues to happen), but fresh in my mind after finishing Ch. 5.
- Weapons. I've stuck to the AK so far, because whenever I come across the Moss(?) shotty, it's only got a few shells to go with it, whereas my AK is usually full at 90 rounds. So I totally don't want to pick up the new weapon, because I'm worried I might get into another extended firefight and be left with no ammo.
- Enemy waves. Another small gripe (for now). It feels like enemies just keep coming and coming, and I'm playing on easy. It's not that it's difficult; it feels very unrealistic (how many mercs did this British bad guy bring with him?) and this particular game cycle is just getting repetitive. Take down enemies in area, start collecting ammo, here Drake say something like, "Aw man, there's more?!," then take out Wave 2, 3, and 4. Yeah Nate, I know how you feel. Wondering if there will be some enemy variety and looking forward to find out more about what mysterious beastie tore up those Germans in the u-boat.

icechai

sorry about your color-blindness, but this has to be addressed:

Cons:
- I'm red-green color-blind, and I have a really, really hard time picking out enemies amongst the foliage. I don't know if this is due to my color vision, or if others struggled with this as well. I was stuck in Ch 3 at the waterfall, because I couldn't see that there was an explosive barrel on the back on the Jeep (which, once exploded, tosses the Jeep into water, forming a bridge).

seems quite easy to pick out enemies if you look out for movement, also their yellow shirts stand out against the green foilage, later levels you will be able to spot enemies easier

- Enemies can take a frustrating amount of damage, and I'm playing on easy. I also haven't gotten the hang yet of how they move after getting hit once (e.g., ducking their head and moving laterally), but I expect I'll get that down soon. But it means that I have enemies still dancing and juking after dumping dozens of rounds into them from the AK.

headshot = kill, aim for those, it seems like 5 bullets elsewhere will kill a standard enemy, shotguns also kill in 1 hit if up close, as well as some weapons you can try out later in the game

- No (or minimal?) enemy attack indicator. Related to the color blind issue -- I can't see where I'm being attacked from! I will get shot from somewhere, spin around looking, won't locate the enemy, then jump into cover, only to find I've managed to pin myself against a wall with an enemy shooting into me.

indicator is in red as with many other games

- When I shoot enemies in shallow water, it's nearly impossible to find their dropped ammo clips. A minor annoyance (unless it continues to happen), but fresh in my mind after finishing Ch. 5.

very few places in game where you do that

- Weapons. I've stuck to the AK so far, because whenever I come across the Moss(?) shotty, it's only got a few shells to go with it, whereas my AK is usually full at 90 rounds. So I totally don't want to pick up the new weapon, because I'm worried I might get into another extended firefight and be left with no ammo.

look for shiny objects, you will usually always have weapons available to use and they are placed against walls where you can use cover, also enemy weapon drops stay, so you can always stock up after each firefight wave

- Enemy waves. Another small gripe (for now). It feels like enemies just keep coming and coming, and I'm playing on easy. It's not that it's difficult; it feels very unrealistic (how many mercs did this British bad guy bring with him?) and this particular game cycle is just getting repetitive. Take down enemies in area, start collecting ammo, here Drake say something like, "Aw man, there's more?!," then take out Wave 2, 3, and 4. Yeah Nate, I know how you feel. Wondering if there will be some enemy variety and looking forward to find out more about what mysterious beastie tore up those Germans in the u-boat.

their are different type of enemies, and some battles you can avoid if there's a specific place you have to goto. At least its not endless enemy respawns :)

carlosp

Banned
i) - Visuals are just sick, and I'm enjoying the bright color palette.
ii) - I'm red-green color-blind

In classical logic,a contradiction consists of a logical incompatibility between two or more propositions. It occurs when the propositions, taken together, yield two conclusions which form the logical inversions of each other. Illustrating a general tendency in applied logic, Aristotle’s law of noncontradiction states that “One cannot say of something that it is and that it is not in the same respect and at the same time.”

Thanks for the comments icechai. I want to reiterate that I'm enjoying the game immensely. Obviously everyone in here are big fans of the game, and I don't want to start arguments.

Carlosp, rather than replying in kind with a putatively clever retort about the physiology and perception issues involved in deuteranopia, I'll only say that the most common forms of color blindness do NOT preclude one from still seeing a wide (albeit, relatively restricted) range of colors. ;)

icechai said:
seems quite easy to pick out enemies if you look out for movement, also their yellow shirts stand out against the green foilage, later levels you will be able to spot enemies easier

Yeah, my biggest issue was that damned exploding barrel, but from time to time, I'll have trouble picking out enemies. You're right that movement is my best bet at detecting enemies.

indicator is in red as with many other games

Wow, maybe my color blindness strikes again. :) I will look more closely for this directional indicator. I had a vague recollection that it was happening, but I felt that the indicator was general, that I was being attacked, rather than a directional indicator. Probably partly due to color-blindness, and partly due to me not spending enough time paying attention to it. I'd rather HUD elements like this be immediately obvious and clear in their meaning, but like I said, it may be more due to color-blindness than to it not being immediately clear. That said, color blindness affects around 7% of the male population, so many, many thousands of the people who have played Uncharted have probably dealt with the same issues.

look for shiny objects, you will usually always have weapons available to use and they are placed against walls where you can use cover, also enemy weapon drops stay, so you can always stock up after each firefight wave

I guess my issue is that I never see enough shotgun weapons/ammo to convince me it will be worth it to make the switch. Maybe ND have some behind-the-scenes number crunching that ups the odds of shotty enemies showing up if you are using that weapon, but it just doesn't feel worth it to switch from my AK right now, even though I want to try out the other weapons. My point here is that the game seems to be showing me one thing (shotguns) but at the same time giving me very little reason or confidence to use them. If this is intentional (e.g., if you want to use our cool shotgun, you're going to have to worry even more about running short on ammo and you may run out frequently), I'm not sure I agree with the creative decision (if it even was an intentional decision), as it seems unnecessarily limiting.

their are different type of enemies, and some battles you can avoid if there's a specific place you have to goto. At least its not endless enemy respawns :)

Agreed. I've noticed a few times that I could probably have hit the exit instead of continuing to fight the waves. Good job putting in that bit of decision-making, and I'll need to take advantage of it as I continue playing.

I also just thought of the hint system, which, I think, I like. In general, I love it when games let me noodle through a problem, then intelligently "detect" that I need help and toss me a hint. These systems require a bit of additional code work, and sometimes a team decides to just put up a big flashing arrow, rather than design and code an intelligent hint system. So props to ND for doing the additional work. I almost complained about how some environments are just unnecessarily difficult to find one's way out of without the hint system (i.e., so I end up just waiting around for the hint to pop up), but after a short time of playing, this difficulty taught me to more carefully examine my surroundings and to look more closely for ledges and handholds. ND really got this right, I think -- I learned how to deal with this problem in a short enough time that I wasn't too frustrated by it and ended up feeling smart as I gradually got better at detecting.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
carlosp said:
i) - Visuals are just sick, and I'm enjoying the bright color palette.
ii) - I'm red-green color-blind

You do know that red-green colorblindness isn't the same thing as total colorblindness, right?

carlosp

Banned
urk said:
You do know that red-green colorblindness isn't the same thing as total colorblindness, right?

i hope so :D But in case of Uncharted about 60%-70% of the game plays in the jungle which means up to 90% green ;)

Just some of my input to add to icechai's:
affableamerican said:
Enemies can take a frustrating amount of damage, and I'm playing on easy.
They aren't as tough as you think. The normal enemies at the beginning of the game die in three bodyshots. Bigger guys and later enemies can take a little more, but I think the max is five. A single headshot will always kill anyone instantly, though what counts as a headshot is very restricted. (Some of the later high-power weapons also kill instantly with bodyshots, or reduce the amount of hits needed.) None of this changes with difficulty.

The reason it feels like more is because the guns have varying accuracies; not all the shots land on the reticle. The AK is pretty bad in this department: bursts scatter a bit, and full auto misses a lot. So when you fire ten bullets apparently straight into a guy, in reality only one or two hit him.

If your skills are up to it, switch to the pistol and use single shots. Even on Crushing I mostly relied on pistols to finish the game. The long arms (AK, shotgun, later rifles) are more for suppressing fire, and for when you get rushed by several guys at once. Then full auto fire or a shotty blast lets you thin numbers, drive them to cover, and switch back to accurate guns.

affableamerican said:
Weapons. I've stuck to the AK so far, because whenever I come across the Moss(?) shotty, it's only got a few shells to go with it, whereas my AK is usually full at 90 rounds.
Your dropped AK will stay there, so as long as you don't go too far away from the area. And if you're ever strapped for ammo, just brutal combo a guy with the gun you want (square triangle square); they drop twice as much.

affableamerican said:
Wondering if there will be some enemy variety and looking forward to find out more about what mysterious beastie tore up those Germans in the u-boat.
You see some different bad guys later on, though it takes a while.

icechai

i think weapon rationing in this game is really balanced overall. Like snipers and magnums, you don't get many of them, and you pretty much use it for that area, then pick up your old gun or some new guns. Shotguns I didn't like at first, but later on I was forced to pick them up as I ran out of ammo sometimes with my other gun. Turns out its quite killer if you bait enemies to come to you, then unload a round when they're 5-6 ft away. Also got a lot better at grenading on hard mode & crushing.

The best weapon to get you through crushing though is high ammo count pistols.

Dever

Banned
So I just got this game after reading so much about it. I hope the hype wasn't for nothing... The only thing I can say so far is that the music playing on the "Press START" screen is awesome.

Sandman7

Playing on Crushing and some parts make you want to tear your hair out! I am only up to the start of Chapter 8 and the part where
in Chapter 4 where you drop down into that dark wet room after the waterway
had me replaying it for an hour.

Still a fantastic game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Sandman7 said:
Playing on Crushing and some parts make you want to tear your hair out! I am only up to the start of Chapter 8 and the part where

Still a fantastic game.
Play it on slow-motion

KZObsessed

Seiken said:
Play it on slow-motion

You can't on Crushing, can't use any cheats. Slow mo is how I got through my Hard playthrough tho :lol

Playing on Crushing after that was a shock to the system, but it was worth it!

Crushing was pretty damn hard, but it made me appreciate the enemy AI. Only part that made me want to thrown the controller out the window was where your up in the plane that crashed in the tree. The bad dudes were so agressive always trying to rush me.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
FFObsessed said:
You can't on Crushing, can't use any cheats. Slow mo is how I got through my Hard playthrough tho :lol

Playing on Crushing after that was a shock to the system, but it was worth it!
I'm 100% sure I played on fast foward on crushing mode.

Sandman7

TrAcEr_x90 said:
Crushing was pretty damn hard, but it made me appreciate the enemy AI. Only part that made me want to thrown the controller out the window was where your up in the plane that crashed in the tree. The bad dudes were so agressive always trying to rush me.

That part as well. I think I tried about ten different strategies. I would like to say I did it will some skill by the end of it but I just got lucky at the end when I only had a few grenade left and randomly started throwing them and managed to kill about five pirates :p

Sandman7 said:
That part as well. I think I tried about ten different strategies. I would like to say I did it will some skill by the end of it but I just got lucky at the end when I only had a few grenade left and randomly started throwing them and managed to kill about five pirates :p

It broke me mentally,hahaha. I looked up a video on youtube to help out. On crushing, things get alooot easier if you actually do your, run while shooting then hit the punch button for a instant kill. So when that section starts, your best chance is to rush the guys comin down and i used that move on every one of them. Then the next part where they come from the other end is just pure headshots.

Grayman

I've used fast mode on Crushing(well not in a fight) but I have not unlocked slow mode yet(virgin trophy play on crushing).

I think I ended up in the first church fight with a shitty gun load last time I played.

icechai

Sandman7 said:

Still a fantastic game.

yeah, that part is the hardest part I've played so far, since all the other parts you can kind of run back to a far distance and inch your way forward with headshots while straffing around cover. But basically what got me through was use first column, take out enemies, take out new enemies, run to the far left, take our more enemies, run to the front, take out rest.

I just finished this game after 3 days of play.

Pros

Narative, characters, story etc AAAA+++
gunplay is fun and challenging
great AI
amazing graphics and sound, the music is fucking incredible and so immersive.

Cons

controls are a bit iffy.
the last chapter is incredibly cheap
I wanted more puzzles and more platforming
It ended.

Overall, this game felt like breath of freesh air. I want more adventure game like this. enough with the FPSs.

Edit: where can I find these cheats that people are talking about?

icechai

Rapping Granny said:
Edit: where can I find these cheats that people are talking about?

pause the game, look under Bonus :) Most of them don't work on Crushing I don't think, also they unlock based on how many medals/trophies you've unlocked

Blader

I'm playing through Uncharted for the first time, and it's a good game, but I'm glad the sequel is going to implement stealth sections. The gun fights in this game are absolute bullshit and the more alternatives I have to them, the better.

Playing through this on Hard and it's a lot of fun. The AI is better than what I remember when playing on Normal.

I must have forgot how beautiful this game is. Even though I've played through it before it had been awhile and I am still blow away at the graphics! I just hope they can fix the screen tearing for Uncharted 2.

Sandman7

Ok guys. I have come unstuck at one part of the game. Playing on Crushing so you would think it would be a room/area loaded with pirates but it isnt.

In Chapter 10 (when you are in the customs house with Elena), there is a cutscene where you leave her with her camera. She wants to take a video of the bay or something. After that there is the small part with a few ledges and pirates shooting at you through the window-type structures. In front of you, there is an old door.

The problem is that this door WILL NOT OPEN. The walkthrough I read said shoot a lock on the door but I cant see a lock. I have sprayed the entire damn door with bullets and nothing.

The most annoying part is that I completed the game on Hard and I cant remember for the life of me what I did. I just remember getting stuck there.

Huh? It should be there where you'd expect it to be. That would be a very weird glitch.

I finished Crushing today, not all that hard and really awesome. The harder shooting sections aren't all that hard when you don't take a lazy approach and pay attention to where the enemies come from and find a good place to take cover. I actually didn't die in the last showdown. Nice Platinum trophy too :D

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
There's a lock on that door for sure, pretty much just like the lock you had to shoot at the beginning of chapter 4. If I remember correctly, it's in the very middle part of that door.

icechai

yayy also finished Crushing, now just need to grab 21 more treasures and I can get my platinum too :) I did die a lot in crushing, but it was very satisfying when I cleared the area. You actually have to move like you would in a multiplayer game, since enemies don't stay behind cover too long, move about a lot, and flank you in big areas all the friggin time. Best single player action/shooter/adventure game on PS3 hands down. Played all the major ones and they just dont have the level of polish, replayability, AI, bonuses and even gfx (a year later) as Uncharted (although others are fun, but really, they can't compare).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wow this game is amazing.

I just got a PS3 the other day and picked this up along with Metal Gear Solid 4, Ryu Ga Gotoku Kenzan, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (bundled with the system), Ratchet and Clank Future and a few Blu-ray movies.

I am currently still away from home for the holidays and stuck with using an SDTV, but that hasn't stopped me from being blown away by Uncharted. This game just looks fantastic. It has to be the best looking console game on the market right now and I have played all of the "graphical beasts" out there. I have only played for about an hour now, but I was floored when I got to the first vista in the area with the German U-Boat in the middle of the jungle. I stopped and looked around for a few minutes and just admired the scenery. The lighting in this game is just incredible. I'm sure the SDTV is giving the game some "free AA" and I should probably expect some jaggy / fuzzy shadows when I get back home and play the game in 1080p, but I'm sure the rest of the game will look even better in HD. The animation is also really great (except for the super-floaty jump animation).

So far the gameplay has been a lot of fun. I am a huge fan of Tomb Raider and Gears of War and this game seems to have taken the shooting action of Gears and the puzzles / exploration / platform action of Tomb Raider and combined them into a very polished game. The story is intriguing so far and the voice acting has been surprisingly good.

Needless to say I have no regrets about picking this game up. So far I am really enjoying my PS3 experience.

Zefah said:
I am currently still away from home for the holidays and stuck with using an SDTV, but that hasn't stopped me from being blown away by Uncharted. This game just looks fantastic. It has to be the best looking console game on the market right now and I have played all of the "graphical beasts" out there. I have only played for about an hour now, but I was floored when I got to the first vista in the area with the German U-Boat in the middle of the jungle.

The game does get better looking as it progresses, especially around the " Sanctuary? " chapter.

Playing it for the 3rd time and I felt like an old man saying "they don't make games like this anymore, everything is war that and shoot this and aliens that"

I really wish devs will go back to the adventure genre.

Schrade

Ugh. I just finished a complete playthrough yesterday and only one of my trophies is showing up. Is there some problem with trophies on the PSN right now or do I have to start all over again :(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Are all of these cutscenes done in real time? Its obvious they are using the in-game assets, but some of these scenes would be damn impressive if they weren't pre-rendered.

Schrade

Zefah said:
Are all of these cutscenes done in real time? Its obvious they are using the in-game assets, but some of these scenes would be damn impressive if they weren't pre-rendered.
If I remember correctly they used the game engine to render some (not all) of the scenes to disguise loading and touched them up just slightly.

Top Bottom