• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

vegee

Banned
Liabe Brave said:
A single headshot will always kill anyone instantly, though what counts as a headshot is very restricted.

I'm not so sure about that. I just beat the game tonight for the first time on Normal and I noticed that towards the end, many of the enemies were wearing helmets that I actually had to shoot off before I could headshot them. Maybe the game is very specific in regards to headshots and will actually let you kill one of them in one hit if you hit them in the face instead of on the top of the head. I may be completely off since most of these instances happened in the middle of a somewhat frenetic firefight.

Liabe Brave said:
If your skills are up to it, switch to the pistol and use single shots. Even on Crushing I mostly relied on pistols to finish the game.

I completely agree with this. The pistol was my primary weapon of choice for the entire game, with the M4 coming in at a fairly distant second. It's not as powerful as the M4, but it feels more accurate and I had almost perfected headshots with a few of the handguns.

But yeah, I just got this game a few days ago and beat it tonight. Of the six games I received/bought this Christmas (of which included Uncharted, MGS, and LBP...all games I really wanted), Uncharted was the first to be played. Such a great game from start to finish. I can't wait for the sequel.

Achtius

This game was really fun, then I reached chapter 17. It make me not want to play it anymore.
Who put the t-virus in my game?

andycapps

Achtius said:
This game was really fun, then I reached chapter 17. It make me not want to play it anymore.

Haha, well it was quite a twist that's for sure. I'm indifferent to the supernatural changes at the end. It changed the gameplay so much and definitely added a whole new flavor to the game. In a lot of ways I think I enjoyed the change of pace and the fact that it went from this adventuresome story to a pretty scary one at points.

carlosp

Banned
Achtius said:

well some might ask "why?". Naughty Dog asks "Why not?" :D

TheWolf

Banned
They hinted at the twist in like the second chapter and pretty heavily through the rest of the game. Still can't believe people were surprised.

Ethereal

I pretty much expected the big late game change in Uncharted and it made for a nice change of pace. And yes they lay it on pretty thick throughout the game to try and make it clear that some bad shit is going down

Achtius

TheWolf said:
They hinted at the twist in like the second chapter and pretty heavily through the rest of the game. Still can't believe people were surprised.

I know something was going to happen, but I was thinking about the natives
not zombies. I know they said the island is 'cursed' but...argh.
The explanation better be good.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Zefah said:
I'm sure the SDTV is giving the game some "free AA" and I should probably expect some jaggy / fuzzy shadows when I get back home and play the game in 1080p, but I'm sure the rest of the game will look even better in HD.
You're in for some surprise there. The shadows are probably the best and most high res than in any game I've seen yet.

So I just bought at PS3 last week, and of course Uncharted was the first to be played.

I'm now in love with this fucking game. Do want Uncharted 2 nao.

Lince

Banned
ThirdEngine said:
So I just bought at PS3 last week, and of course Uncharted was the first to be played.

I'm now in love with this fucking game. Do want Uncharted 2 nao.

don't rush it, explore it, enjoy it, unlock "crushing" diff. mode and then get a taste of next-gen AI ownage, Uncharted = best game in years.

edit: it's the game I use to demo my PS3 to friends, and it ALWAYS does impress.

Menaged

With all these constant "Bought a PS3 and Ucharted" posts, I'm really intersted in an up to date sale figure. I hope it's a great success.

andycapps

Menaged said:
With all these constant "Bought a PS3 and Ucharted" posts, I'm really intersted in an up to date sale figure. I hope it's a great success.

Don't think we'll ever get one unless Naughty Dog/Sony releases them. It's not selling high enough to chart, I don't think, but word is that it's been a consistent seller kept moving by extremely positive word of mouth.

vegee said:
I'm not so sure about that. I just beat the game tonight for the first time on Normal and I noticed that towards the end, many of the enemies were wearing helmets that I actually had to shoot off before I could headshot them.
Sorry, I should have been more precise. You are correct, enemies with helmets require one hit to the helmet to remove it, then a headshot to kill. (With a normal-power weapon; high-power weapons can kill with one hit to the head, helmet or not.)

Dragnet

andycapps said:
Don't think we'll ever get one unless Naughty Dog/Sony releases them. It's not selling high enough to chart, I don't think, but word is that it's been a consistent seller kept moving by extremely positive word of mouth.

Well it's platinum here in Europe, don't know about the US so we know at least in Europe it's selling well. And it went platinum quite some time ago too.

Lince said:
don't rush it, explore it, enjoy it, unlock "crushing" diff. mode and then get a taste of next-gen AI ownage, Uncharted = best game in years.

edit: it's the game I use to demo my PS3 to friends, and it ALWAYS does impress.
I'm definitely going to play multiple times so I can explore. I just wanted to progress the story and I only ended up finding 14 treasures on my first playthrough. :sadface:

I still have some other exclusives to play, but here soon I'll be once again playing the shit out of Uncharted.

The part that I HATE is when
Drake is trying to steal the boat, before they head off to find Sully, and Elaina just pops out of NOWHERE to show you the footage she took revealing Sully is still alive. She literally comes out of the wall.
:lol
I wish they'd fix that scene with DLC I hate it so bad. :D

blindrocket said:
The part that I HATE is when
Drake is trying to steal the boat, before they head off to find Sully, and Elaina just pops out of NOWHERE to show you the footage she took revealing Sully is still alive. She literally comes out of the wall.
:lol
I wish they'd fix that scene with DLC I hate it so bad. :D

But they sorta acknowledge that with
Drake saying "how did you get here?!"
:D

Just started playing the game and am assaulting that treasure vault in the monastery.

First of all, this game is amazing.

I love every character.

If I were to think in my head about the greatest Indiana Jones game I could possibly think of, this game has made it a reality or surpassed it. It's that good.

I am amazed not only graphically, but the way things are broken up by chase scenes, platforming and action scenes, the skeedo scenes, etc keep it fresh.

If I had one complaint is that the game has wave after wave of dumb enemies in normal mode but hopefully on a second pass in higher difficulty these encounters will be more interesting.

Right now when I hear "der he is!" in the background I kind of groan inside, but aside from that it's definitely one of the high points of PS3 ownership. It's a true must-play.

icechai

Achtius said:
Just beat the game in hard :D.
Now Crushing...how much harder is it?

completely different game. AI is exceptional and they are constantly trying to move to get better positioning against you. Which forces you to attack faster, move more efficiently, and pick up everyone's ammo :p Also you die about as fast as they do

Achtius

icechai said:
completely different game. AI is exceptional and they are constantly trying to move to get better positioning against you. Which forces you to attack faster, move more efficiently, and pick up everyone's ammo :p Also you die about as fast as they do

In that case, I'll leave crushing mode until later...much later.

I felt Crushing was very, very fun. Certainly the best experience if you're good at shooting in Uncharted as it feels like a different game. It can be frustrating if you believe you can win by exposing yourself all the time, so just think and play properly. Easier said than done for brainless gamers though.

Sandman7

Crushing completely changes the way you play. You have to approach every gunfight in a completely different way. Even on Hard, you can stay behind one bit of cover, pop out and shoot, rinse, repeat but Crushing actively forces you to keep moving. Some will find that annoying but for those who like a good challenge it is great. I have encountered no place so far (I am up to Chapter 15 on Crushing) that I thought the game was just being cheap.

Sandman7 said:
I have encountered no place so far (I am up to Chapter 15 on Crushing) that I thought the game was just being cheap.
The fight in the cistern may not be cheap, but man is it designed for pain: plenty of cover, but you're being put in a pincer from the very start, and the reinforcements make conservative play impossible. It may be fair, but it was hard enough that I didn't really enjoy it the way I did some other big fights (like the return to the cathedral).

AppleBlade

I beat this game a while ago. However I let my sister's boyfriend borrow the game, I kinda want it back to try and get some more trophies. What is a nice way to tell someone give me my friggin' game back.

Cyport

Just been playing flat out and finally completed the game, I got to chapter 20 ageessss ago but with the trophy update I started again and couldn't be arsed to do it again, however now that I've done it to the end on easy mode, I want to play again on normal mode but it's too late now!
I enjoyed the zombie/demon monsters the most actually since they can't shoot you :lol

Achtius said:
Agreed. I've been enjoying it tremendously until just now. What the fuck, fuck, fuck just happened?! What's the point?
Zombie-Chimera fuckface hybrids. Really, really? You couldn't come up with a better story twist than some damn zombies?

And something that irked me throughout was the explodable-goddamn-barrels EVERYWHERE! God, there better be godly explanations for both of them or else I am damn tempted to just tell the last fourth of Uncharted to eat a dick.

icechai

Just platinumed! Felt pretty good, but beating crushing actually felt better than collecting the treasure (although my first easy playthrough the treasures were great since gf would constantly point at shiny stuff and force me to go get it, very few platforming games let you bond :D )

MrVargas said:
I beat this game a while ago. However I let my sister's boyfriend borrow the game, I kinda want it back to try and get some more trophies. What is a nice way to tell someone give me my friggin' game back.

well if you dont want to upset anyone just say have you done that game yet?

if that dont work cut him? joking

commissar

TheWolf said:
I was surprised they weren't lizardmen.
All of those weird shaped skulls everywhere totally prepared me for that :/

Still my favourite game of this gen so far :>

Achtius

Ack. I am stuck in Chapter 4 in Crushing
where you just climb up the wrecked plane and started to get down with millions of people shooting you. Anyone have any tips to pass this part?

If the rest of the game (and I know it does) get harder than this, I might just give up.

Sandman7

Achtius said:
where you just climb up the wrecked plane and started to get down with millions of people shooting you. Anyone have any tips to pass this part?

If the rest of the game (and I know it does) get harder than this, I might just give up.

Persevere! There are a few different strategies that I tried. One was to just run towards them and as soon as they drop, fire a shotgun blast from the hip. If you miss, you are toast. Get a few this way then get behind some cover and pick off the rest. Keep moving from cover to cover.

The other strategy is to get behind some cover and keep lobbing grenades at the spot where they land when they come down from that cliff. A well placed grenade can often take out more than one of them.

The other strategy is to just keep repeating the section. The law of averages dictates you will get lucky once. Needless to say, this was the strategy I used :p

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
R Squared said:
Agreed. I've been enjoying it tremendously until just now. What the fuck, fuck, fuck just happened?! What's the point?
There's a good explanation at the end. Keep in mind that many set pieces and story elements you probably enjoyed during the game so far would make no sense if there wasn't an element to the story you just encountered.

Doc Evils said:
After playing Underworld, I was reminded how awesome Uncharted really is. I might do a final run for some trophies.
Yeah, TRU really felt like a game where they tried to out-Uncharted Uncharted tech, but it failed so badly where it matters the most (controls/camera/animation/glitches) it's not even funny.

Timbuktu

R Squared said:
Zombie-Chimera fuckface hybrids. Really, really? You couldn't come up with a better story twist than some damn zombies?

And something that irked me throughout was the explodable-goddamn-barrels EVERYWHERE! God, there better be godly explanations for both of them or else I am damn tempted to just tell the last fourth of Uncharted to eat a dick.

It helped that the Bunker didn't drag on too long and I loved the chapter that followed immediately. That was probably the hardest firefight in the game, almost impossible on crushing, but damn did I enjoy that. what a climax to the game.

antispin

Just finished this beauty. That part of the game, yeah you know the one, SUCKED. Everything else was pure gold. This is probably the finest game I have played this gen. Bravo, ND, bravo.

And now, onto MGS4.

Sandman7 said:
The other strategy is to get behind some cover and keep lobbing grenades at the spot where they land when they come down from that cliff. A well placed grenade can often take out more than one of them.

This is what I did on that part. I did it so many times that I actually got pretty accurate with the grenades. This was actually one of the toughest parts for me on crushing.

AKS

Achtius said:
Just beat the game in hard :D.
Now Crushing...how much harder is it?

The AI is excellent and sophisticated, ramping up the difficulty. However, the checkpoint system is also very fair for the most part and doesn't make you replay long stretches of difficult segments. It's very challenging without being too frustrating. It was by comparison much easier than getting the Big Boss Emblem (Act 3 was a bitch!!!) in MGS4 or killing RAAM in Gears 1 on Insane (solo anyway; I tooled him in co-op).

AKS

Achtius said:

That part was a bit more difficult than most of the early chapters. You just need to be really efficient with headshots and don't let them advance to the point where they can flank you. Blindfire in emergencies if you have to, but keep them from rushing you or it's over.

There is one other difficult part in that level after that and you'll be OK for awhile. Don't give up yet.

Achtius said:

Honestly, this is probably the hardest part in the game. The strategy I used was to lob a grenade at the first batch, then shoot from the hip at those still left standing (with the rifle). Then just pick off the other guys as they climb down.

The section after that (when they come through on the other side), is a bit more difficult. However there is a check point there.

A good strategy throughout the game is to constantly change your cover point, and blind fire to keep them from advancing on you. When people get close - melee, blind fire, melee is a great fast combo that doesn't have any unecessary animations or slowdown and will take out most troopers.

Menaged

For some reason, that part wasn't that hard for.
When I started playing on Crushing I feared for the moment when I'll get to that part, but I didn't die that many time.

On the other hand, I think chapter 8 gave a hard time. It's place with the water and pillars. It's so hard! You need to be super persice with your shots and constantly move. I died so many time during that part...

Top Bottom