• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

DMeisterJ

Banned
This game does feel slightly cheap on Crushing.

I'm on Chapter 4, and it took me at least twice as long because of all the cheap deaths. The biggest gripe is that the enemies can shoot before rounding corners. So if you are hugged on a wall, and your enemies is hugged perpendicular to you on a wall, his gun will be pointing 90 degrees away from you, but the bullet will shoot you as soon as he comes off of cover.

It's easy to circumvent by just throwing a grenade at them, but still, it's annoying. Also, the enemies soak up more bullets than normal. The A.I. got smarter, but that's all that should have happened. Oh well.

Finished the game today.

My god, the voice acting, facial animations, body language, humour and dialogue are of a whole new level in this game! It feels so nice listening to them arguing. The contextual remarks of the main characters during the missions is also spot on.

The encounters with the enemy got a bit old though. There was a bit too much of going to a new area to find the same enemies awaiting your arrival. And when engaged in a fight, those stupid pirates always react the same to your shots. Having shot all enemies, you could count on it that there would be an other wave backing their buddies up. It was also a bit jarring seeing an empty level, including carefully placed weapons and points of cover, laid out for a firefight. It wasn't really difficult to predict what came next. In later levels it was nice to see the AI ramping up a bit though. They even manage to push me out of the church by outflanking me.

I got into the game expecting the cover and shoot mechanism being a bit slow, but none of that. It felt really fluid and intuitive. It's a shame that the enemy encounters are so predictable. I hope that this gets fixed in the next game.

Well two things.

1. Is anyone experiencing random hiccups every once in a while where the gameplay just stops for like a second. This happens about once every 30 mins or so.

2. How the heck do you get that trophy for softening up the enemy and punching them once for the kill. I have yet to even get the do it 5 times total trophy. I keep doing the more cinematic kill then the just punch the guy kill. HOW DO I MAKE THINGS DO THINGS!

wotter

CharpyImpact said:
Well two things.

1. Is anyone experiencing random hiccups every once in a while where the gameplay just stops for like a second. This happens about once every 30 mins or so.

2. How the heck do you get that trophy for softening up the enemy and punching them once for the kill. I have yet to even get the do it 5 times total trophy. I keep doing the more cinematic kill then the just punch the guy kill. HOW DO I MAKE THINGS DO THINGS!

1. Hasn't happened to me

2. stand close to an enemy, press R1 to fire once and then use square for a one-punch-kill (took me a while to figure that out). You can start a new game or load chapter 1 for an easy ride (you should get the trophy in less than 1 min).

RuGalz

DMeisterJ said:

I'm on Chapter 4, and it took me at least twice as long because of all the cheap deaths. The biggest gripe is that the enemies can shoot before rounding corners. So if you are hugged on a wall, and your enemies is hugged perpendicular to you on a wall, his gun will be pointing 90 degrees away from you, but the bullet will shoot you as soon as he comes off of cover.

It's easy to circumvent by just throwing a grenade at them, but still, it's annoying. Also, the enemies soak up more bullets than normal. The A.I. got smarter, but that's all that should have happened. Oh well.

I finally just beat the game on Crushing as well. Chapter 4 was major pain in the ass and then there's that waterway section. I literally tossed my sixaxis out of the window when it lost sync during some of the major battles.

Besides AI feels cheap, I also really hate how after spawning the AI, if you walk too far away such that some of the level geometries have disappeared due to culling, the AI can just shoot at you directly because the wall in between have disappeared.

Lastly, in this mode, I actually feel the cover system is really lame. I almost never use it while standing any more because it got me into more trouble than it's worth; it's so much easier and better to just stand behind a wall, aim and strafe out and back in. It is still okay when you have to dock behind low rise objects but that's about all it's good for imo.

Hopefully they will be able to improve a lot of this stuff in sequel.

DMeisterJ said:
The biggest gripe is that the enemies can shoot before rounding corners. So if you are hugged on a wall, and your enemies is hugged perpendicular to you on a wall, his gun will be pointing 90 degrees away from you, but the bullet will shoot you as soon as he comes off of cover.
Yeah, this is pretty lame. It's not just in Crushing, though, they can do this in any difficulty. You just don't usually notice because it's easier to kill them quickly.

DMeisterJ said:
Also, the enemies soak up more bullets than normal.
This is not true. I have tested it myself. If your shots land in the exact same place, they do the exact same amount of damage. What you're experiencing is that a) auto-fire doesn't land all the bullets on the reticle, and/or b) shots to the limbs do less damage.

Now, it's possible that on Crushing your accuracy goes down for rapid fire (i.e. fewer bullets hit the reticle); I haven't checked that. But single shots from a pistol don't usually have that problem, and headshots (not to a helmet) still kill instantly. Go for those whenever possible.

Kard8p3

I got this game for christmas and after playing to chapter ten I have really mixed feelings about this game. I love the platforming sections and the gunplay is fine in short bursts but when you get to chapters that are pretty much gunplay the whole way through it quickly becomes annoying. I hate taking out 5 waves of enemies only to have more come. I also completely hate the aiming reticule. It's way to small on my SDTV so it can become hard to know exactly where I'm aiming in a big gun battle. I do have to say that I loved the jeep and jet ski sections but beyond those and the platforming I'm just not feeling this game. It sucks because I wanted to run into simon templeman's character again before giving up on this game. Is there anything later on in the game that would be worth suffering through the gunplay to get to?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
CharpyImpact said:
Well how you stop the cinematic type 1 hit kills for the regular punches though?
Just get close to an enemy and do a pistol combo. R1 + Punch. Each enemy you do this to will die instantly. You can do this consecutively five times pretty easily on the very first level, on the boat.

RuGalz said:
Besides AI feels cheap, I also really hate how after spawning the AI, if you walk too far away such that some of the level geometries have disappeared due to culling, the AI can just shoot at you directly because the wall in between have disappeared.
I have to say I have never seen this happen in all the playthroughs I made - in fact I cant even think of a place where it could happen, unless you're maybe intentionally trying to break the game by backtracking somewhere insanely far away :\ The one place I could think of where something like this could legitimately happen is that plane crash field on Chapter 4, but I've never seen any such problem there.

Overall though, I didn't enjoy crushing as much as hard difficulty. The first time through there's so many points where you feel you just hit a brick wall, and everything is against you. But almost every single one of those has some way of dealing with that makes it much easier, and once you figure this out, it's nowhere near as difficult or frustrating the next time around. Despite this, I still do prefer Hard for leisurely play, it's just more fun for me. I think btw. the stand up cover is still very handy on crushing. It gives you better protection than just strafing behind, unless you're hiding behind a large wall.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I just beat it on Crushing.

God, that was hard. I didn't really get caught up on too many parts after chapter 4, so it was fine. Glad I'll never have to play it on Crushing again though.

Kittonwy

Banned
DMeisterJ said:

Not sure about normal because I don't really play on normal, the number of bullets required to kill any enemy does not change from hard to crushing (4-5 for pirates, 6-7 for mercenaries, 1 for headshots), the only thing that changes is the number of bullets the player can take, which goes from five to three, forcing the player to take more cover and giving the AI more time to flank the player.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Not sure about normal because I don't really play on normal, the number of bullets required to kill any enemy does not change from hard to crushing (4-5 for pirates, 6-7 for mercenaries, 1 for headshots), the only thing that changes is the number of bullets the player can take, which goes from five to three, forcing the player to take more cover and giving the AI more time to flank the player.

Yeah, after reviewing what I said, It's the same amount of bullets for them. Just less for you.

It feels like more though for some reason. idk why, Maybe it's just me. Actually, it probably is.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Got my Platinum.

I can safely say that Uncharted is my favorite game so far this generation. Actually better than MGS4 for me. Just too much Metal Bar Handjob Barrelton Awesomesauce.

Just got this (pack-in) and it's fucking impressive. I'm only about 30 minutes in
and I can already see a betrayal looming
but the graphics are gorgeous, and the movement & atmosphere are really wonderful. Late to the party, but I can't wait to play more.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
My PS3 isn't reading my old pre-patch save file that I 100%ed. It shows up in the PS3 system menus, but Uncharted isn't showing them. WTF!? :(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Tenkai Star said:
Yea that happens when you install the patch. So you can start over to get trophies.
Damn. I wish I could at least access it. :(

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I was playing through this again last week for three reasons:
1) I'm a trophywhore
2) I wanted to see it in HD (played it on SD the first time)
3) I AM A TROPHYWHORE

My GF was sitting next to me: "owh, what a horrible game, far too much shooting for my taste, it's pretty, but too much of a shooter." 30 minutes later she's playing and loving Uncharted. Better yet: she's scary when there's 5 pirates shooting at her, she goes into rage-mode or something, shouting "die, die, DIE!" while popping headshots left and right. Great job Naughty Dog, you got my gf shooting in games :D now to finish the job with Killzone...

arne

Rez>You said:
Damn. I wish I could at least access it. :(

I'll have to check, I thought you could access pre-patch save files, but you couldn't get any Trophies from them. You'd need a new save file to do so.

Let you know tomorrow.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
arne said:
I'll have to check, I thought you could access pre-patch save files, but you couldn't get any Trophies from them. You'd need a new save file to do so.

Let you know tomorrow.
If it's of any help, I have a US copy of the game and I'm using it on a Australian 40GB PS3. I'm not sure if it's relevant, but I thought I might as well throw it out there.

Thanks, much appreciated. :)

I have beaten Crushing 4 times already and with no cheap shotting the enemies like the last church battle for example.

My key to beating it without much trouble is don't even bother with headshots.
Squeeze 3-4 bullets into the enemies chest to get it over with.

The enemies is trying to flank you. You don't want to bother wasting time with aiming for headshots while they are shooting you and doing the dodging methods.

Best way to avoid flanking is to kill fast and keep moving to different cover.

Do a lot of running blind fire pistol melee if the situation is right also. It saved my life tons of times.

Goldrusher

Rez>You said:
If it's of any help, I have a US copy of the game and I'm using it on a Australian 40GB PS3. I'm not sure if it's relevant, but I thought I might as well throw it out there.

Thanks, much appreciated. :)
That's your problem right there. For some reason, ever since the trophy patch, the game now only recognizes save files from the region of the console instead of the region of the game. Or vice versa, I don't remember.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Goldrusher said:
That's your problem right there. For some reason, ever since the trophy patch, the game now only recognizes save files from the region of the console instead of the region of the game. Or vice versa, I don't remember.
Ah, figures. Are there any known workarounds (downloading the US patch perhaps, or deleting the game's system files and playing the game unpatched)?

Does anyone have dibs on Uncharted 2's Official Thread?
If not, I'd be more than willing to lend my penis errm talents to help out.

Trust me I'll do a testic-tacular job.

Mets39

Buckethead said:
Does anyone have dibs on Uncharted 2's Official Thread?
If not, I'd be more than willing to lend my penis errm talents to help out.

Trust me I'll do a testic-tacular job.

You'll have to team-up with BruceLeeRoy, i believe :)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Deleting the system files and then refusing to download the patch worked! :D

I'm so relieved, haha.

Cheers, Goldrusher, and thanks anyway Arnie (the fact that you were willing to source it out for me means a lot).

Durante

I recently bought the game (for €15 new it was hard to resist) and finished it today. I enjoyed it more than I expected and I'm really impressed how polished everything was. One thing that stands out in particular is the shadowing, they managed to almost completely eliminate any kind of flickering.
The texture detail/resolution is also impressive, if the game had decent AF it would almost feel like playing a PC game ;). In all seriousness, the lack of anisotropic filtering is really a shame considering the high quality textures. But alas, it's more or less standard in console games. One more thing that disturbed the otherwise great visuals was the somewhat frequent tearing, I hope they can improve that in the sequel.

In terms of gameplay, while the cover and shooting mechanics worked well, I thought some of the shooting segments were too long, and I could have done with a bit more platforming or puzzles instead. I can't help but think that they used some of those "x enemy waves" encounters as padding, since the game really is quite short -- I'm not usually a fast gamer and I finished my first playthrough in slightly less than 10 hours.

All in all probably the best looking console game I've played so far, at least in technical terms. And with great gameplay as well!

Tenks

So I've been playing this recently. I think I'm on chapter 13 or so
I just saw the corpse that was eaten by 'something'
and what the hell is with the pacing.

Suddenly I now have to fight these massive battlefield missions with snipers and about 8-10 dudes with M4's and SMGs. Its actually really, really frustrating. I know this was a gripe about the game but it seems like one of those games that was great throughout then the developers decided to go "see its hard, you're not that good" at the end. Makes me not even want to finish it.

With that said, this game is amazing. Not just visually but the mechanics are pretty good as well. I'd just prefer not to have these huge battlefield wars.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Tenks said:
So I've been playing this recently. I think I'm on chapter 13 or so
I just saw the corpse that was eaten by 'something'
and what the hell is with the pacing.

Suddenly I now have to fight these massive battlefield missions with snipers and about 8-10 dudes with M4's and SMGs. Its actually really, really frustrating. I know this was a gripe about the game but it seems like one of those games that was great throughout then the developers decided to go "see its hard, you're not that good" at the end. Makes me not even want to finish it.

With that said, this game is amazing. Not just visually but the mechanics are pretty good as well. I'd just prefer not to have these huge battlefield wars.
Those guys are really frustrating at first and the first big battles with them are some of the tougher ones in the game. Once you get used to how to fight them they're a lot of fun to fight.

Banned
drake-hiding.jpg

seen before?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Tenks said:
That wasn't really anyone's gripe about the game. You didn't reach the part that some people complained about yet.

Btw, you can change difficulty at any time in the options if you feel the game is too hard.

Tenks

RoboPlato said:
Those guys are really frustrating at first and the first big battles with them are some of the tougher ones in the game. Once you get used to how to fight them they're a lot of fun to fight.

I see on their graphic they are wearing flak jackets, do they actually do anything in the game? It seems like I just drill them full of lead and they refuse to go down. Couple that with the fact that there are literally 8 of them littered on the map I just get hit by all sides.

I've figured out the basic idea for the battle: Sniper rifle the two ones with lasers, pick off 2-3 more with the remaining ammo, pray you can kill the rest with your M4 ammo. I just fail at the last point. In hindsight I probably should have picked up those automatic shotguns instead.

just bought the game on friday and iam in chapter 8 now the only problem i have is with the gunfights - sometiems you can barely see the enemy because they are so far away maybe its ony a issue because iam using a sd tv but otherwise the game is realy great and realy fun :) even with an sd tv the grfics look stunning.

jett

D-Member
maniac-kun said:
just bought the game on friday and iam in chapter 8 now the only problem i have is with the gunfights - sometiems you can barely see the enemy because they are so far away maybe its ony a issue because iam using a sd tv but otherwise the game is realy great and realy fun :) even with an sd tv the grfics look stunning.

SDTV FTW

Pimpbaa

I'm late to the party on this game. Way too short a and too cheap near the end. But I liked it. Almost immediately started another play through when I finished it the first time. Something I didn't do with the recent tomb raiders or gears of war games (closest things I can compare it to).

Durante said:
One thing that stands out in particular is the shadowing, they managed to almost completely eliminate any kind of flickering.

Yeah, kinda surprised more studios haven't caught up to whatever voodoo they came up with there. I still haven't seen anything comparable on consoles.

In all seriousness, the lack of anisotropic filtering is really a shame considering the high quality textures. But alas, it's more or less standard in console games.

I think its at least using 2x AF (or something akin), not bi-linear. But agreed, its a shame the filtering isn't more aggressive given the texture quality.

I used to think AF wasn't that big of a hit on resources just based on fooling around with PC GPUs over the years, but I suppose it depends on whats being pushed?

I thought some of the shooting segments were too long, and I could have done with a bit more platforming or puzzles instead.

Thats about the general consensus. I thought the gunplay kicked ass myself so I didn't mind how things were balanced in the end. I'd rather see smarter, more open ended platforming than just more of it.

finished the game now :lol it was realy awesome :D
damn those zombies are hard to hit
the jumping parts were great the gunfighting got better until
the zombies showed up
but when
they mixed the zombies and the normal enemies it was fun again

dwin45

bdizzle said:
to get 100% do you have to beat the game 4 times of does beating it on hard give you the trophies for normal and easy too?
I just beat it on Normal and it gave me the Easy trophy as well.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
bdizzle said:
to get 100% do you have to beat the game 4 times of does beating it on hard give you the trophies for normal and easy too?

You don't have to. I started my first trophy run on Crushing and got the trophies for beating it on eeay, normal, hard and crushing at the same time.

Wario64 said:
You don't have to. I started my first trophy run on Crushing and got the trophies for beating it on eeay, normal, hard and crushing at the same time.

Cool. I had to reformat my HDD so I have to beat hard to crushing again, but it's good to know I don't have to beat 3 more times on top of it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm replaying this now and I'm enjoying the game more on this second playthrough. Anyone else experience this?

I have a trophy question though: do treasures stay collected on all difficulties/files? I'm picking up some left and right and I'd finish the rest using a guide on another difficulty.
Also: 'do this X times' trophies, can these be cheated by picking a good location and using the restart checkpoint option?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Darunia said:
I'm replaying this now and I'm enjoying the game more on this second playthrough. Anyone else experience this?

I have a trophy question though: do treasures stay collected on all difficulties/files? I'm picking up some left and right and I'd finish the rest using a guide on another difficulty.
Also: 'do this X times' trophies, can these be cheated by picking a good location and using the restart checkpoint option?
You can opt to keep treasures/rewards or not whenever you restart. You can just keep dying and restarting to get the 'do this X times' trophies.

Darunia said:

same, on my first play through, I wasn't familiar with all the nuances and stuff, I didnt even know you could shoot from the hip until I saw the trophies.

the game was allot more fun on my 3rd play through and now I am compelled to get more trophies

Top Bottom