• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Salazar

VonGak! said:
Just like the shooting in the Indy movies is less visceral than in Saving Private Ryan yet more engrossing?

Doesn't get more visceral than Mola Ram. Man didn't need a knife, let alone a gun. Besides, the purpose of a gun in an Indy film is mostly to threaten, dash against someone's head or get knocked out of your hand, and lie tantalisingly out of reach while you and your foe grapple.

Kittonwy

Banned
VonGak! said:
For Nathan too

Halloween was wednesday.
Indifferent2.gif

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
VonGak! said:
Sorry but your friend seems to be on a serious fishing trip

Sounds like he's not the staffer who's most qualified to cover this certain game (just like I'd never trust a MGS review to someone who finds Halo's plot deep and compelling). I just hope he'll back up the claims of his with some sane reasoning contrair to the usual suspects who failed that part and stayed vague. ^.^

Had to let out some steam.

Hey, I hope you're right and the game get's 9's and 10s across the board. In fact from all the positive hype I'm kind of expecting it.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Salazar said:
Doesn't get more visceral than Mola Ram. Man didn't need a knife, let alone a gun. Besides, the purpose of a gun in an Indy film is mostly to threaten, dash against someone's head or get knocked out of your hand, and lie tantalisingly out of reach while you and your foe grapple.

Awesome ROTL bar shoot out in Nepal says otherwise.

Dante

Madman said:
I've heard nothing about framerate problems. And someone else said that they felt the guns and combat felt excellent.

As a side note, I'm really thinking about importing a DS3 for Uncharted. How would I go about doing that?

Don't do Yes Asia, They apparently over booked their pre orders :mad:

Doc Evils

Did anybody watch the making of videos of UDC on PSN?

Naugty Dog is teh awesome. Amy is IMHO probably my most respected female in the VG biz.

edit:

UDC? WTF I mean UDF.:lol

Barakov

Firewire said:
Did they just do that, cause i just noticed that myself!

Like WTF! Theres no mention of Barrelama in the thread title at all?

The gif is all the mention we need.

Salazar

jetjevons said:
Awesome ROTL bar shoot out in Nepal says otherwise.

Yes, there are guns and gunning sequences of significance in Indy. They matter so much less than the punches, though.

Loudninja

I forgot about this stuff:

Unlockables:
slow-motion mode
Faster than normal mode
black and white mode
sepia-toned mode
Increase light bloom mode
remove all the texture maps mode
concept art
Making of videos
Constumes for Drake and his friends
Different caracters to play with such as Elena and Sullivan

and more

deepbrown

jetjevons said:
Hey, I hope you're right and the game get's 9's and 10s across the board. In fact from all the positive hype I'm kind of expecting it.

Everything your friend has said sounds like pedantic opinion so far.

"plastic graphics"..."I like dark gritty graphics, not an interesting intentional painterly art style"...seriously if anyone marks the game down for it's art style they should be shot - because they are asking for the future of games to all look like Gears of War or Halo. YAY

"cutscenes overblown"...really sounds to me like "cutscenes are better than anything I've seen before, they are TOO good...I'm not used to the characters mouths moving realistically...I don't like it, it scares me"

and "combat/shooting is "flat"" as in "there's not enough blood, or exploding heads...I want gore in all my games"

So even if he still feels these are relevant comments...that still remains in the 9-10 area score, there is no justification of the score being lower, yet.

Doc Evils said:
Did anybody watch the making of videos of UDC on PSN?

Naugty Dog is teh awesome. Amy is IMHO probably my most respected female in the VG biz.

Yeah, this was the way that I first tested downloading and playing videos on my new PSP slim. It was a really neat little documentary and quite well produced.

I get a PSP and the first thing I do is go and watch something on it that makes me want a PS3 really badly, not a bad little thing that Sony has going on there.

VonGak!

Banned
jetjevons said:

Meh I do not care about scores, there's too many non game related factors playing in and the same goes for movies.

What's more important is the written text where I hope the reviewer really goes into detail and also throw in some background knowledge like what the developers hoped to achieve (ex. Indy feel and art style) as it combined with videos and demos help me more with deciding my game purchases.

It's just that a game reporter who ie. prefer JRPG like FF won't be able to go as deep with a review of Halo as a FPS fan and often end up overlooking what the targeted audience want and expect.
Tomb Raider and Metal Gear fans (the people who tend to post most in the Uncharted threads) might not even be interested in Uncharted becoming as visceral as GeoW, not forgetting the age rating. ^.^

deepbrown

VonGak! said:
Meh I do not care about scores, there's too many non game related factors playing in and the same goes for movies.

What's more important is the written text where I hope the reviewer really goes into detail and also throw in some background knowledge like what the developers hoped to achieve (ex. Indy feel and art style) as it combined with videos and demos help me more with deciding my game purchases.

It's just that a game reporter who ie. prefer JRPG like FF won't be able to go as deep with a review of Halo as a FPS fan and often end up overlooking what the targeted audience want and expect.
Tomb Raider and Metal Gear fans (the people who tend to post most in the Uncharted threads) might not even be interested in Uncharted becoming as visceral as GeoW, not forgetting the age rating. ^.^

CORRECT. We want the combat to be better than Tomb Raider.

Also everyone remember that POP:Sands of Time was better than POP: Warrior Within when it went all dark and gory. WE DON'T WANT IT...we want it to be fun and look cool, we don't need blood. We don't feel satisfied when we see a head explode, we feel satisifed when we complete some challenging platforming, or solve a cool puzzle.

Varth

deepbrown said:
CORRECT. We want the combat to be better than Tomb Raider

It ain't the same fuckin' ballpark, it ain't the same league, it ain't even the same fuckin' sport. Some other things, however, could be actually close to TRL. And you won't see me smilin' while I say that. But I need further confirmation of that.

VonGak!

Banned
deepbrown said:
CORRECT. We want the combat to be better than Tomb Raider.

Also everyone remember that POP:Sands of Time was better than POP: Warrior Within when it went all dark and gory. WE DON'T WANT IT...we want it to be fun and look cool, we don't need blood. We don't feel satisfied when we see a head explode, we feel satisifed when we complete some challenging platforming, or solve a cool puzzle.

Yes what the heck happened there, I felt all alienated.

I know people (me included) asked for the fighting to have the same level of substance as the platforming but there's a long way from that to a fairytale platformer centric game becoming a dark action slice them up.

Rather reminds me of Sega thinking the Sonic fans would embrace Dark Sonic with a gun.

EDIT:

Varth said:
It ain't the same fuckin' ballpark, it ain't the same league, it ain't even the same fuckin' sport. Some other things, however, could be actually close to TRL. And you won't see me smilin' while I say that. But I need further confirmation of that.

Huh? Sorry, didn't quite get that. ^.^

Varth

VonGak! said:
Huh? Sorry, didn't quite get that. ^.^

Uncharted combat is on a totally different level than TR in every sense. It's a quite complex business, not the "hold X and jump around" stuff TR does. And it's also a joy to play.

After all I saw, my only fear for the game is that it could leave me hungry like TRL did at the time. I pray it won't.

Kittonwy

Banned
JB1981 said:
Not slower. Just .. I don't know slower. It kind of breaks the illusion a little for me.

Naughty Dog had three main goals in terms of animations according to Gameplay Animation Lead Jeremy Yates in the tech dive video:

1) Realistic animations with a sense of weight
2) Fluidity, going from move to move without popping from state to state
3) RESPONSIVENESS which is their most important goal

1/2 & 3 don't go always go hand in hand, sometimes if you want responsive controls, you're going to break some of that realism, it's like Drake jumping from one handhold to a higher handhold, no real life climber can do that, but then if you do a climb it's going to be much slower and not as much fun to play, same as slow shimmying. They want the game to be fun to play first and foremost.
Indifferent2.gif

VonGak!

Banned
Varth said:
Uncharted combat is on a totally different level than TR in every sense. It's a quite complex business, not the "hold X and jump around" stuff TR does. And it's also a joy to play.

After all I saw, my only fear for the game is that it could leave me hungry like TRL did at the time. I pray it won't.
Oh I can only agree with that (based on the Unchated videos I've seen). ^.^

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Varth said:
Oh yes, TRL had such a cop-out cliffhanger ending that I couldn't believe it. It's one of the very few times where I thought the game just ended much sooner than it should have, even though in retrospect I did play it for a long enough time. I hope Uncharted will have a satisfactory conclusion, and that's something Hanning has addressed actually, saying that it will, only leaving some things open for possible sequels.

VonGak!

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Naughty Dog had three main goals in terms of animations according to Gameplay Animation Lead Jeremy Yates in the tech dive video:

1/2 & 3 don't go always go hand in hand, sometimes if you want responsive controls, you're going to break some of that realism, it's like Drake jumping from one handhold to a higher handhold, no real life climber can do that, but then if you do a climb it's going to be much slower and not as much fun to play, same as slow shimmying. They want the game to be fun to play first and foremost.
Indifferent2.gif

ND's priority list:

1) RESPONSIVENESS which is their most important goal
3) Realistic animations with a sense of weight

^.^ Can't really slander them for putting game-play first. And as you said, for the platforming to have more weight it would have to be slower... not much fun in that.

JB1981

Kittonwy said:

Indifferent2.gif

I think those are good goals and I agree with all of them. I always prefer a functional, playable game. But can we not agree that the shimmy animation, when compared to the beauty and fluidity of the rest of Drake's movements on the ground are a little jarring?

Basch

This thread needs some more pictures! :D

UnchartedFallsinForest.jpg

Colorful and lush; complete with waterfalls!

UnchartedDrakePuzzeled.jpg

I think I just found my new avatar. It speaks for itself.

UnchartedVillainousPlots.jpg

Two evil men conspiring, which will betray the other first?

UnchartedEddyRajaandtheGoldenPistol.jpg

Introducing Eddy Raja and the Golden Pistol: "After the bling!"

UnchartedEddyRaja.jpg

It's Drake! He's after my golden shirt! Why does everyone want to deprive me of my gold?"

UnchartedRescueElena.jpg

Check it out: even the bottom of his shoes has a design. See how the pant leg flaps about as Drake jumps? I wonder whose hand that is? And then... Boom!

UnchartedBridgeRescue.jpg

Something happened: "Oh! Hi Elena."

UnchartedJetSkiRiding.jpg

UnchartedJetSkiManeuvers.jpg

Now that is a close call. Nice maneuvering!

UnchartedExplosions.jpg

UnchartedRedExplosion.jpg

UnchartedExplosionFinale.jpg

Very impressive lighting: we all love explosions! :D

UnchartedVisceralCombat.jpg

Now this is visceral combat! If only more fighters were like this. Also, it looks like Drake doesn't know how to duck and cover. :lol

UnchartedShootingintheRain.jpg

Just two words: absolutely beautiful!

UnchartedWelcometotheJungle.jpg

And lastly, welcome to the jungle! :D

This game has everything I want in a game: story, characters, great animations, and masterful direction in execution. November 19, I'll be counting down the days!

deepbrown

JB1981 said:
I think those are good goals and I agree with all of them. I always prefer a functional, playable game. But can we not agree that the shimmy animation, when compared to the beauty and fluidity of the rest of Drake's movements on the ground are a little jarring?

The Prince had it. Lara had it...I likes it....it's quick.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I wouldn't mind slower climbing/platforming. But then, they'd have to make it a bit more interesting. Most of it's pretty generic right now... looks way too "gamey".

Not a big deal though... the amount of amazing animation for everything else far outweighs the cheesy climbing/shimmying on generically pre-determined walls and ledges... that crumble just as you pass by.

Evolved1

deepbrown said:
The Prince had it. Lara had it...I likes it....it's quick.

The animation for it was better in both of those games. Last gen.

Septimus

November 19th can't come soon enough. I can so picture myself playing the demo over and over until then. Ooh and by the way, it seems they actually change the Playstation Network logo, just got an email with the new one.

The new trailer is just TOO awesome. I've watched it now quite a few times. :D
And is it me or does Nathan's voice match his character design perfectly? Really, really well done character model and voice actor. An awesome "real world" hero and not the "tough and gruff" marine on steroids we see so often.

Evolved1

deepbrown said:
Prove it. I own both games and love em to death. Drake's looks better.

Prove it? How?

Whatever, difference of opinion. I'm not hating on Uncharted dude... I'm just saying.

Basch

I think I remember in the cover story in one of the Game Informer issues saying that the characters were actually designed around the actors with a few changes. I think that is why Elena went through so many changes in the first place. But yes, Naughty Dog was always wanting to achieve that feel of an everyman's hero with Drake.

[Replying to blindrocket.]

VonGak!

Banned
blindrocket said:
The new trailer is just TOO awesome. I've watched it now quite a few times. :D
And is it me or does Nathan's voice match his character design perfectly? Really, really well done character model and voice actor. An awesome "real world" hero and not the "tough and gruff" marine on steroids we see so often.

^.^ MGS fans know when they see a well directed cut-scene.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
deepbrown said:
So even if he still feels these are relevant comments...that still remains in the 9-10 area score, there is no justification of the score being lower, yet.

You need to relax. These were just his first impressions. I already said it sounds like he's off base.

You know I see a lot of these threads where people have just decided game X is going to be the greatest thing ever and and how dare anyone say anything critical and if it gets bad reviews they are all WRONG.

I'm looking forward to Uncharted as much as anyone but I've been a victim of unchecked GAF-primed enthusiasm far to often, especially on PS3.

Top Bottom