• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Basch

jetjevons said:
You need to relax. These were just his first impressions. I already said it sounds like he's off base.

You know I see a lot of these threads where people have just decided game X is going to be the greatest thing ever and and how dare anyone say anything critical and if it gets bad reviews they are all WRONG.

I'm looking forward to Uncharted as much as anyone but I've been a victim of unchecked GAF-primed enthusiasm far to often, especially on PS3.

I think it is just that many people do not want to see another Ratchet occurring. I don't think people care too much about the review score but there is a difference between stating an opinion and plainly insulting a developer... aka Gamespot. I for one do not want to see that happen again. That is just bad journalism.

Kittonwy

Banned
jetjevons said:
You need to relax. These were just his first impressions. I already said it sounds like he's off base.

You know I see a lot of these threads where people have just decided game X is going to be the greatest thing ever and and how dare anyone say anything critical and if it gets bad reviews they are all WRONG.

I'm looking forward to Uncharted as much as anyone but I've been a victim of unchecked GAF-primed enthusiasm far to often, especially on PS3.

Drake's Schicksal is teh awesome RAWR!!!
angry.gif

Yeah I think it's a bit off base to say that the characters were plasticky, when they're not very shiny at all, besides when Drake and Elena were riding that jetski and got wet that is.

Kittonwy

Banned
blindrocket said:
The new trailer is just TOO awesome. I've watched it now quite a few times. :D
And is it me or does Nathan's voice match his character design perfectly? Really, really well done character model and voice actor. An awesome "real world" hero and not the "tough and gruff" marine on steroids we see so often.

Nolan North did an awesome job with his voice and mo-cap work.
Indifferent2.gif

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Basch said:
That is just bad journalism.

Fear not, friend... at the end of the day, they're just videogames.

There's worse journalism out there.

VonGak!

Banned
jetjevons said:

But there's nothing wrong with asking for a little substance behind the complaints either. Or else the games would become too easy targets for trolling which also is a part of the GAF mentality, especially in PS3 threads. ^.^

Anyway, as I said it's best if the game reporter looks into the game and write it for the targeted audience or else the review just becomes redundant (a bit like reading a review where the reporter spend most of the time complaining about missing multi-player when one wants to know about the single player which the reporter forget to go in depth with).

tanod

when is my burrito
jetjevons said:

That's because taste differs. On any game, there will always be a core group of people who are really excited about it.

A few months ago, I looked through a lot of official threads for big games and found a group of 10-20 posters responsible for more than 50% of the life time posts in each one. This was constant across all platforms and all games.

EDIT: How did metal bar handjob get into the title? WTF does that even mean?

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Basch said:
I think it is just that many people do not want to see another Ratchet occurring. I don't think people care too much about the review score but there is a difference between stating an opinion and plainly insulting a developer... aka Gamespot. I for one do not want to see that happen again. That is just bad journalism.

I agree, that review was ridiculous. That's why it's always better to go by the aggregate average.

deepbrown

jetjevons said:

I've had enough of people saying it looks like "plastic", or the shooting doesn't feel as good as "gears of war". And we don't want another Ratchet...where positives are made into negatives...like variety equals an identity crisis. And those crits sound similar...the individual painterly art style is "plastic", and the non-gore indy style combat is "flat".

If the game doesn't deserve a nine, you'll know very soon with my own impressions and review. ANywho it's not so much scores...but what is said in the reviews...and that is what I tackled in my post (although slightly forcefully, for which I apologise :) )

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Gears of War....is WAR

Uncharted is......umm, Piracy:D

so i dont expect Uncharted to be as visceral as GoW, its a bit more classical like...Indiana Jones basically

VonGak! said:
^.^ MGS fans know when they see a well directed cut-scene.

We certainly do, and Uncharted seems to be right up there with Kojima's finest. I honestly didn't think HS was going to be outdone so quickly but that may just be the case. I still don't think UDF will outdo it in terms of facial animations but considering the different techniques that's hardly surprising.

That trailer was just about the best I've seen. Has there been any talk of the 'Oh God!' guy looking at the ground? There seems an obvious explanation, especially keeping in mind some of the concept art.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
anyone posted this yet?

threespeech said:
UNCHARTED: DRAKE’S FORTUNE ON BRAVO

Check Bravo these coming days for a half hour special on Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune. Gamer TV are running a special edition dedicated to it, showcasing interviews with the key talent behind the game which some have dubbed ‘DudeRaider’. It will also reveal never-before-seen levels, vehicles, characters, weapons and achievements.

“We were really pleased to be given exclusive access to witness the development of what is obviously going to be a very key title for PS3,” commented Gamer TV producer Jason Kilshaw.

The programme airs at the following times.

- Saturday 3rd November 10.00 am Bravo 2
- Sunday 4th November 11.30 am Bravo
- Monday 5th November 4.30 pm Bravo

In addition to this show, a Ratchet & Clank 30 minute special will be shown after the Uncharted episode. The episodes will be shown in the US one week later.
http://threespeech.com/blog/?p=690

Would have preferred an MTV special but ok.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
lol, who watches the Bravo channel

They couldn't pony up the money to put this on MTV like Gears of War

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Loudninja said:
Or a G4, its just something special about cutting away from the good stuff

G4 or even Spike, but especially G4, they need more video game shows and commercials.

FirewalkR

So ummm... after some inventive copy/paste in MS Paint, my sorry excuse for artistic skills came up with the following.

6fifn0i.png

I did this so I could use it as an avatar, but as expected, reducing it to 90px width maims my work o fart. I really wanted to have a Naughty GOD avatar but I don't see what I can do with this, short of putting Naughty above GOD with the red paw in between but that's kinda beyond aforementioned skills.

Any suggestions or even a random act of artistic kindness from the talented?

Halp.

PS: if by chance anyone wants to use or modify/add to this for a banner, header, footer, go ahead.
PPS: yes, if one zooms in the obvious spots, one will find the Marks of the Lame Artist (TM).

FirewalkR

chubigans said:
Here ya go Firewalk, hope it helps:

naughtygods.jpg

OMG so simple in retrospect, yet so effective.

*bow*

PS: I fell so dumb right now, couldn't even think laterally, let alone diagonally :lol

Amir0x

Banned
i saw this too late but it's still not 2 weeks until release and i sorta promised Fady K he could do it

but... eh... i'm sure he'll understand. wish i would have caught it earlier though :p

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Kittonwy said:
Nolan North did an awesome job with his voice and mo-cap work.
Indifferent2.gif

Yeah from all the stuff I have watched he fits perfectly Nathan Drake, hopefully he will bring a Indy vibe! :D

tanod

when is my burrito
Amir0x said:
i saw this too late but it's still not 2 weeks until release and i sorta promised Fady K he could do it

but... eh... i'm sure he'll understand. wish i would have caught it earlier though :p

See the first page of the R&C thread. I was gonna do that one. Steve apparently didn't notice me calling dibs on that one either.

Jtrizzy

props to the new header and that avatar.

Did anyone in Europe notice if those new trailers on ya'lls psn were new? I haven't seen those titles so far.

Brashnir

Basch said:

It was one review. If you're that hurt by one review, the problem is probably not the review, but your perspective.

Hell, it wasn't even the lowest score the game got. Most of the other reviews scored it higher, and it got great reviews overall, but not every person is going to share the same opinion on a game.

Basch

Brashnir said:
It was one review. If you're that hurt by one review, the problem is probably not the review, but your perspective.

Hell, it wasn't even the lowest score the game got. Most of the other reviews scored it higher, and it got great reviews overall, but not every person is going to share the same opinion on a game.

I'm not really affected by it in terms of score, but if I had developed a video game that another claimed does not have heart and soul, identity crisis, than I would be a little hurt by it as well. A lot of people really do care about this game (Uncharted or Ratchet, either one is fine by me) and want it to succeed. I for one am one of them. In the past, I have contributed to publications and one of the key components to great journalism is knowing your audience. I would argue that Gamespot picked the wrong person to satisfy this requirement. That is all.

By the way, is anyone else impressed by the direction they are taking the story. It helps to have great actors as well. I'm already pretty interested in the cursed island elements. And what is it that Sir Francis Drake was after in the first place? Why are others after this as well? And finally, what could be so bad that Francis Drake changed his mind about the whole expedition after coming so far? At least we know one thing. Nathan Drake and Elena Fischer are so going to hook up before the end of the game. :D

Jtrizzy

it's not about us caring about the review, it's the fact that a bad review from gamespot will hurt sales. Lots of people only read IGN or gamespot, so when one of those sites give a bad review for a supposed AAA title it's kind of a big deal.

Jtrizzy said:
it's not about us caring about the review, it's the fact that a bad review from gamespot will hurt sales. Lots of people only read IGN or gamespot, so when one of those sites give a bad review for a supposed AAA title it's kind of a big deal.

As soon as people stop giving them so much attention for any review (and that goes for other sites) then it really won't matter about sales either. Go to the sites for their media and leave it at that. Or just go by Game Trailers review, they're better than the sites that generally get a lot of attention.

Loudninja

SolidSnakex said:
As soon as people stop giving them so much attention for any review (and that goes for other sites) then it really won't matter about sales either. Go to the sites for their media and leave it at that. Or just go by Game Trailers review, they're better than the sites that generally get a lot of attention.

Thats the thing,people will always care.someone would not buy a game just because of a score, even though they like the demo. thats how stupid people are.

Loudninja said:
Thats the thing,people will always care.someone would not buy a game just because of a score, even though they like the demo. thats how stupid people are.

Possibly, but look at Game Pro, no one really cares about them because of all the bullshit they would spew. Every site is like that now and eventually they'll be in Game Pro's position.

Jtrizzy

Just from personal experience, I only read Gamespot/IGN up till three years ago or so when I started lurking here. Why? because I typed www.videogames.com, looking for a site to read about games and it turned out to be Gamespot.

I clearly remember seeing God of War's review score on Gamespot, and buying it that day. Had it received a lowly 7.5, I certainly wouldn't have purchased it. Now of course, I would buy Uncharted even if it got a 7, because I know that review scores are meaningless.

Ex: Madden 08 on PS3 gets an 8.5 on GS. I've owned a version of Madden every season since it's inception, and this is BY FAR the worst version I've played.

Unfortunately, Gamespot and IGN will probably always way too much influence when it comes to sales.

Basch

SolidSnakex said:

Why would you need to state this in the first place? Many would prefer it just doesn't happen again. Ignoring it doesn't change things. People can be affected by it. They have the right to speak out. They want the game to succeed. Any false statements or misconceptions can hinder its performance. That is why people care. And I suggest you start respecting it. This is an experience many people care for and would like to share with others. People will always have their own interests. To state that other peoples interests are not realistically found is just not right.

Top Bottom