• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Been going through the Bad Run. I actually have to recommend it if you don't mind murdering everyone. The genocide-only fights are really really fantastically hard, especially the one at the end.

It also made me absolutely fall in love with Sans holy shit.

PSqueak

Banned
I also killed Undyne after not being able to figure out how to befriend her. Cried after Sans told me about what Toriel asked him to do, then killed Asgore ending up leaving the Underground and returning home after killing Flowey

Edit: Hint about the Undyne battle, because it's easy to not realize (like it happened to me)
The "black structure" Undyne seems to be standing on when she challenges you is actually a hole, you have to run from the battle and get into that hole and just keep running until the next area, if Undyne catches you you can just run again

I think I can answer that,
You get the neutral ending and it makes you start the game all the way over. Going full Pacifist the first time allows you to backtrack from before the final boss after you finish the neutral end.

But i mean....

Who got to be crowned ruler with those characters dead? Aparently there are many variations of the neutral ending depending who lives and who dies, the ending for you sparing everyone but Papyrus, for example, it's quite hard to stomach

Fou-Lu

What should I know about endings and runs and stuff before I start? I'm a bit confused by the terminology being thrown around in this thread.

PSqueak

Banned
What should I know about endings and runs and stuff before I start? I'm a bit confused by the terminology being thrown around in this thread.

Game remembers EVERYTHING you do, choices, who you kill, etc, even if you close the game and reload, the game remembers what you did.
It's important that you play by the game's rules, try not to give to the urges of playing this like a standard RPG.

On a personal opinion note: DON'T DO THE BAD ENDING ROUTE, it's not worth it on a emotional level.

But i mean....

Who got to be crowned ruler with those characters dead? Aparently there are many variations of the neutral ending depending who lives and who dies, the ending for you sparing everyone but Papyrus, for example, it's quite hard to stomach

Oh, right. That part.

Mettaton wound up as the ruler of the Underground and did so mostly through his show. Those who enjoyed watching his show were happy, those who did not were known to disappear. Didn't seem like a great situation for everyone. Or anyone other than Mettaton really.

Been going through the Bad Run. I actually have to recommend it if you don't mind murdering everyone. The genocide-only fights are really really fantastically hard, especially the one at the end.

It also made me absolutely fall in love with Sans holy shit.

I find sans to be the most fascinating character by far. He's the only one who realizes he's in a time loop, and it's made him incredibly jaded as a result. That's why the guy is so lazy. Why bother doing your job when all your work is going to be erased anyways? Then in the genocide route, with his back against the wall, he finally gives a shit and he ends up being more of a hero than you could ever be. Add in his connection to the whole W.D. Gaster mystery and his own powers that are never totally revealed and sans ends up being the most mysterious as well as the most sympathetic (well, except for poor Asriel) character in the cast.

dity

Well, I've completed both the normal and true pacifist runs now.
I preferred the boss from the regular run, that was an amazingly awesome scary boss. Azuriel felt more like a Final Fantasy boss.

I'm going to go for the Genocide/No Mercy run next, and then another pacifist run after that. I think it's going to be incredibly crazy.
I might attempt a Frisk run too

The ending of the true pacifist run didn't make me sad or anything. I found it more touching. I'm quite a sensitive guy so it's easy for sad stuff to make me cry so the themes here must just not connect with me at all? It's just that basically all the people I interact with on Twitter have said its made them cry. Am I weird?

After the game was almost over I went and talked to every NPC before going through where the barrier was. Great attention to detail with every NPC having post-boss dialogue. Felt very much like Earthbound.

PSqueak

Banned
Oh, right. That part.

Mettaton wound up as the ruler of the Underground and did so mostly through his show. Those who enjoyed watching his show were happy, those who did not were known to disappear. Didn't seem like a great situation for everyone. Or anyone other than Mettaton really.

Well, that is a bit disturbing, i admit.

The ending of the true pacifist run didn't make me sad or anything. I found it more touching. I'm quite a sensitive guy so it's easy for sad stuff to make me cry so the themes here must just not connect with me at all? It's just that basically all the people I interact with on Twitter have said its made them cry. Am I weird?

It's not supposed to make you cry for being sad, quite the opposite, it's just very touching, it's weird, like i mentioned earlier, even tho i finished the game on saturday the waterworks didn't happen for me until yesterday when i was musing about the game, those were happy tears, it was an strange experience.

Battlechili

Banned
I preferred the boss from the regular run, that was an amazingly awesome scary boss. Azuriel felt more like a Final Fantasy boss.

I'm going to go for the Genocide/No Mercy run next, and then another pacifist run after that. I think it's going to be incredibly crazy.

After the game was almost over I went and talked to every NPC before going through where the barrier was. Great attention to detail with every NPC having post-boss dialogue. Felt very much like Earthbound.
You're not weird. Perhaps all the comedy clashed with some of the darker harsher themes? Considering the game never lingers on them for very long. I cried but I wouldn't expect everyone to cry. By the way, you said you talked to all the NPCs...Does that mean you talked to
Asriel at the beginning area?
In any case, good luck on your future runs. Genocide is super duper hard and it took a number of tries for me just to beat
Undyne the Undying.

I didn't cry but I did get a little misty eyed when you had to
SAVE all your friends. But I'm a sucker for stuff that does the whole "power of hope/friendship" thing in a totally unironic way, like Persona or Gurren Lagann.

PSqueak

Banned
Question on the "normal" ending, when you kill some people:

What happens if you only leave Papyrus alive?

king papyrus reigns

Truly the happiest ending.

Truly better than doing the opposite really. Seriously.

For someone who claimed to have no friends when you meet him, a surprisingly large amount of people was outraged about him being the sole casualty

For someone who claimed to have no friends when you meet him, a surprisingly large amount of people was outraged about him being the sole casualty

Seriously. I love Papyrus, but sans's entire relationship with you is based on how well you treat the guy, and he basically makes Undyne into a nicer person simply by being around her. I guess you could say that people do love him but he's simply too much of an idiot to notice, which would suit him.

I like that Papyrus isn't made out to be a full on pathetic joke character in general, as many similar characters end up being. Like, yeah he's not as strong as Undyne or Sans or some of his other friends, but that's because he hangs out with all these absurdly powerful people, lol. I thought it was really nice how much people seemed to care for him and even respect his fighting abilities and kindness. He's, what, the only character who can't kill you in battle?

PSqueak

Banned
I like that Papyrus isn't made out to be a full on pathetic joke character in general, as many similar characters end up being. Like, yeah he's not as strong as Undyne or Sans or some of his other friends, but that's because he hangs out with all these absurdly powerful people, lol. I thought it was really nice how much people seemed to care for him and even respect his fighting abilities and kindness. He's, what, the only character who can't kill you in battle?

Wait, he cant? i mean people thought the same about Toriel... Also, technically speaking, Asriel battle is rigged so you can't really lose

Would the thread be up to compiling a little list of the varitions of the neutral ending?

This game is spectacular. It's tied up with Ori and the Blind Forest for my current game of the year. Both titles manage to have hugely enjoyable gameplay for their genres, stand out soundtracks and art despite not having AAA budgets and manage to tell compelling stories which never lost focus.

After huge number of massive open world games which are so big it's impossible to not have glaring gameplay/design/narrative flaws and generally follow the same boring quest check-list rather than attempting to innovate I'm really disappointed in the direction big budget titles have gone in.

dity

You're not weird. Perhaps all the comedy clashed with some of the darker harsher themes? Considering the game never lingers on them for very long. I cried but I wouldn't expect everyone to cry. By the way, you said you talked to all the NPCs...Does that mean you talked to
Asriel at the beginning area?
In any case, good luck on your future runs. Genocide is super duper hard and it took a number of tries for me just to beat
Undyne the Undying.
Yup, I talked to every. single. one.
Even Asriel at the beginning, he notes that the flowers probably broke your fall

I didn't cry but I did get a little misty eyed when you had to
SAVE all your friends. But I'm a sucker for stuff that does the whole "power of hope/friendship" thing in a totally unironic way, like Persona or Gurren Lagann.
Maybe it didn't do anything for me
because I've recently completely FF13-3, which had a very similar theme of saving your friends and stopping a god-like being from re-writing the universe

t's not supposed to make you cry for being sad, quite the opposite, it's just very touching, it's weird, like i mentioned earlier, even tho i finished the game on saturday the waterworks didn't happen for me until yesterday when i was musing about the game, those were happy tears, it was an strange experience.

Oh, that kind of thing never makes me cry. My feeling of relief has to be pretty strong to cry. Crap life and all, I guess, is why.

Kirlia

Banned
I have no favorite character. They are all precious.

Besides the Fallen Child/Chara. Fuck Chara.

...is Chara more or less the canon Fallen Child name?

Puruzi

Banned
Holy shit Toby thought of everything. If anyone wants to replay it, be a huge idiot on purpose during fights, some of the stuff that happens are the funniest things in the game.

PSqueak

Banned
I have no favorite character. They are all precious.

Besides the Fallen Child/Chara. Fuck Chara.

...is Chara more or less the canon Fallen Child name?

I havent done a new run on the game yet, but people claim that if you enter Chara as your name, the game acknowledges that's the canon name

Capra

I think Chara is just the placeholder name Toby used while making the game. Short for "Character", you know?

Whatever you ended up naming him in the beginning is his canon name for your run. Because he's the guy you are when you play other RPGs just to kill stuff without mercy. I have a bit of a problem with that because, I mean, I just did a complete playthrough to see the True Pacifist ending without replaying so it's not like every player is by default a horrible psychopathic murderer but it is a really biting subversion of Earthbound's THE PLAYER IS A PERFECT ANGEL WHO SAVES THE DAY.

NotLiquid

I... don't think I ever want to do the genocide ending.

I'm just going to admire it from a distance because nothing about it suggests I'm going to enjoy it from a game perspective or emotional perspective
or even a post-genocide replay session since it irrevocably fucks your save file.

Thanks Toby, you literally made the greatest game that I don't have any desire to deviate from in terms of my idealized play through.

Anywho my girlfriend drew some cool Undertale fan art. Papyrus is her favorite character, Sans is mine.

tumblr_nv98jjZZAV1tcyhvno1_540.png

PSqueak

Banned
I think Chara is just the placeholder name Toby used while making the game. Short for "Character", you know?

Whatever you ended up naming him in the beginning is his canon name for your run. Because he's the guy you are when you play other RPGs just to kill stuff without mercy. I have a bit of a problem with that because, I mean, I just did a complete playthrough to see the True Pacifist ending without replaying so it's not like every player is by default a horrible psychopathic murderer but it is a really biting subversion of Earthbound's THE PLAYER IS A PERFECT ANGEL WHO SAVES THE DAY.

Doesn't matter you never hurt anybody in Undertale, the point is you most likely slaughtered monsters/people/enemies in other games, that's why Chara is psychopath, it's all a comentary on gaming

PSqueak

Banned
I'm just glad Radiation found a bit more purpose for her than the other Kickstarter OC that's also in the game.

Well, there was a set up for a spider boss already in the game (callback to spider bake sale), so she seems less out of the field than the other 2 bosses.

Tho in my personal opinion, So Sorry could have been easily implemented as an acquitance of Alphys.

PSqueak

Banned
What character is that? *tried to Google to no avail*

One is called So Sorry, you can only fight him by setting your computer's date and time to an specific date, he's on a hidden room in the core.
People hate him because he's based on a backer's fursona, but the character as appears in the game is pretty charming and fitting in tone.

The other is called Glyde, it's somewhere in Snowdin, but im not sure what triggers the battle.

dity

One is called So Sorry, you can only fight him by setting your computer's date and time to an specific date, he's on a hidden room in the core.
People hate him because he's based on a backer's fursona, but the character as appears in the game is pretty charming and fitting in tone.

The other is called Glyde, it's somewhere in Snowdin, but im not sure what triggers the battle.

Hating on a fursona character seems funny since the game's basically anthro-heaven

I'll have to try and get those two next play-through.

Capra

Doesn't matter you never hurt anybody in Undertale, the point is you most likely slaughtered monsters/people/enemies in other games, that's why Chara is psychopath, it's all a comentary on gaming

Yeah, I get that. But then again most games don't give players a choice like Undertale does so... I dunno. What if someone who had never played a game before decided to play and went full pacifist? I guess Undertale can only be fully appreciated as a commentary on the medium, but that does kind of limit its audience and I can't help but wish I could share this with all my non-gamer friends.

I like it though and I think it fits and especially works to get players to confront their choice of entertainment and why they feel the need to play games where your main form of interaction is slaughtering everything. It's also clever that, from what we can gleam from the backstory, both The Fallen Child and Frisk apparently went to the mountain to "disappear"... So they were both seeking escapism just like most players. Except while Fallen had given up on everything and decided to kill everyone Frisk decided to take his adventure as a learning experience and shoot for another chance at life by befriending everyone.

Wasn't Moon RPG Remix Adventure supposed to have done something similar?

Also So Sorry is where he is for a specific and, in my opinion, fully justified reason.
It's not that it's a fursona, but the fact that the original pitch was a very blatantly fetish-y depiction of the backer's fursona is, frankly, a fucking embarrassment and just tempting Toby to do something humiliating with it. Imagine if the reward had been to have a portrait of you in-game, and you send them a nude pic expecting that to make it into the final game. Not happening.
Yeah, it's great the guy helped fund the game for so much, but come the fuck on man. The game is already pretty furry as it is so if he had just had some respect for the tone everyone involved was going for and submitted something more inline with that style he probably would have gotten a more respectful place in the game.

Glyde activates when you
run around Toriel's door in Snowdin for a few minutes.

Also
So Sorry's boss fight seems fun and stuff, but it still feels kinda weird when googling a game character is literally going to bring you back to a fetish art gallery. I think just making a new character would've made more sense. Sorta ironic when the /v/ threads are screaming about it in-between posting/making /34/ of all of the other characters though, so I agree there's a bit of hypocrisy behind that particular drama.
Plus they did apparently donate a 1000 bucks to the KS (which I didn't realize when I brought it up a few pages back), so whateves.

I think that's a funny point because
the fact that most people, as far as I know, tend to just do pacifist or neutral-pacifist runs means the real nature of the beast isn't so much "all players are murderous psychopaths" and more "all players just try to do what the game expects of them in an efficient manner." I know what the overall intention the game was going for here, but I think the phrase "Don't hate the player, hate the game" is hilariously literally appropriate.

Decide to look up the different dialog for different neutral endings and
while having Sans hate you for killing Papyrus is tragic, jesus christ is the one where you back out of a total genocide run at the last second and Alphys talks to you dark.

Granjinha

I think the
commentary on the medium thing is silly. I enjoyed the plot and the characters and absolutely loved the game, but couldn't give a damn about this 'oh look it's you in another games.'

It's not like Undertale is the only game about not killing people.

Salbug

Just did some digging up on So Sorry. Yeeeeesh. Even I'm embarrassed to have realized that now.

That trivia on him though for Undertale.

PSqueak

Banned
Also
So Sorry's boss fight seems fun and stuff, but it still feels kinda weird when googling a game character is literally going to bring you back to a fetish art gallery. I think just making a new character would've made more sense. Sorta ironic when the /v/ threads are screaming about it in-between posting/making /34/ of all of the other characters though, so I agree there's a bit of hypocrisy behind that particular drama.
Plus they did apparently donate a 1000 bucks to the KS (which I didn't realize when I brought it up a few pages back), so whateves.

Googling "So sorry" won't bring up the artist because that's not the character's actual name, i recognized who it was because i have seen the artist in tumblr before undertale came out, but just searching for So Sorry in the context of the game is unlikely to bring up the actual fetish stuff.

You're more likely to find Toriel porn than the character So Sorry is based on.

I think the
commentary on the medium thing is silly. I enjoyed the plot and the characters and absolutely loved the game, but couldn't give a damn about this 'oh look it's you in another games.'

Of course it isn't the only one, but i think it perfectly lampoons the usual attitude of the genre. As well as the whole "inocence vs grimdark" aspect of "old games vs modern games"

dity

I think the

People might be looking too far into things.

I just thought the use of the character name and Frisk was a good way to clear up the dilemma of having you connected to characters from long ago and subverted the need for a lot of extra further observation cutscene like lots of RPGs have

PSqueak

Banned
I really hope no one has harrassed the person who submitted So Sorry, because that'd be mega lame.

it's the internet, what do you think? but he took it very maturely, his post expressing his feelings about it was well articulated and polite, i think he's rising above the hate

Edit: If i had to say my closing statement regarding this topic, it would be that i think he's way better than Glyde, So Sorry truly feels like a citizen of the underground among the monsters and his attacks are hilarious and creative. Glyde looks soooo....generic and bland.

Top Bottom