• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

I got to the
Undyne
boss fight last I played. Haven't gotten too far into it yet, but I've basically fallen in love with the game's style entirely. Definitely going to have to dig in and play some more.

Hyoukokun

I got to the
Undyne
boss fight last I played. Haven't gotten too far into it yet, but I've basically fallen in love with the game's style entirely. Definitely going to have to dig in and play some more.

She stumped the hell out of me in my pacifist run. If you're going that route, and you run into trouble, check this spoiler:
Undine inadvertently gives you a clue as to how to peacefully resolve her fight right at the start. Normal pacifist tactics won't work with her.

Bigger hint:
You'll get your chance when she turns your soul back to standard red.

She stumped the hell out of me in my pacifist run. If you're going that route, and you run into trouble, check this spoiler:
Undine inadvertently gives you a clue as to how to peacefully resolve her fight right at the start. Normal pacifist tactics won't work with her.

Bigger hint:
You'll get your chance when she turns your soul back to standard red.

Oh, no worries. I meant that I'd already gotten past them.
I did figure out the solution after a couple cycles of getting my ass kicked though.

JC Sera

Just finished a No-Mercy run, since I did everything else available.

Well played, game. You really turned the tables on me...

No-Mercy Boss Spoilers:
Sans is INSANE. Took around 2 hours trying to beat him because I kept dying to his circle of lasers right before his "special attack." At least the music was kickass
Waiting around for 10 minutes to sell your soul after the end was kind of annoying as well.

Ending on that note, this game is amazing.
I think its less "annoying" and more you utterly entirely fucked up by
murdering all your friends

Am I insane or was there some kind of teaser site/game/something for this a few months ago? I feel like there was but I can't find any trace of it now.

Looking forward to digging into this tonight. (Found myself wishing there were a Vita version on my lunch break today lol.)

jman2050

Just finished a No-Mercy run, since I did everything else available.

Well played, game. You really turned the tables on me...

No-Mercy Boss Spoilers:
Sans is INSANE. Took around 2 hours trying to beat him because I kept dying to his circle of lasers right before his "special attack." At least the music was kickass
Waiting around for 10 minutes to sell your soul after the end was kind of annoying as well.

Ending on that note, this game is amazing.

Well,
everything up to and including Sans did tell you that you would gain absolutely nothing by finishing this, you're literally doing it for no other reason than to satisfy your own curiosity. Is it any wonder that the ending of the genocide route ends up being tedious and thoroughly unsatisfying?

It's pretty brilliant. There's no carrot on the stick we're chasing but we keep chasing the stick anyway because why not?

JC Sera

Am I insane or was there some kind of teaser site/game/something for this a few months ago? I feel like there was but I can't find any trace of it now.

Looking forward to digging into this tonight. (Found myself wishing there were a Vita version on my lunch break today lol.)
http://undertale.com/demo.htm
there was a demo that came out 2 years ago
there was a kickstarter
the tumblr posted some teasers from the OST
thats all I can think of?

megalowho

Still have the soundtrack stuck in my head, thinking about buying it on Steam. It's not particularly unique, if you just scrub through the tracks they sound like every JRPG ever, but man is it catchy and cohesive and wonderful. Also think the game does a great job with the timing of music cuts, whether it's for comedic or dramatic effect.

Some examples for anyone curious:

Snowdin Town
Dating Start!
Waterfall
Spider Dance

JC Sera

I'm really enjoying the sound track too

I'm also enjoying the mashups on soundcould
^warning spoiler tracks
So there's something I completely forgot about from my first run that I can't quite figure out now that I've learned a lot more about the different paths. Spoilers for all routes:
Everyone seems to think that only Flowey and Sans know about the player's ability to "save," but if you keep dying to Asgore, he responds differently to Frisk's comment that he's killed Frisk x times. There are certain boss battle scenes that go quickly, like Mettaton's regular form, if you've already died, but I don't think any of them besides Flowey, Sans, and Asgore hint that they really know what's going on. Flowey and Sans make sense, but what about Asgore? How does Asgore know that he's killed you so many times? Why does he keep trying?

Maybe I'm overlooking something completely obvious, I dunno.
this is one of those games that incites overthinking
asgore talks to flowey
flowey has told his situation to asgore in at least one timeline
asgore would also be privy to
gaster

1upsuper

So there's something I completely forgot about from my first run that I can't quite figure out now that I've learned a lot more about the different paths. Spoilers for all routes:
Everyone seems to think that only Flowey and Sans know about the player's ability to "save," but if you keep dying to Asgore, he responds differently to Frisk's comment that he's killed Frisk x times. There are certain boss battle scenes that go quickly, like Mettaton's regular form, if you've already died, but I don't think any of them besides Flowey, Sans, and Asgore hint that they really know what's going on. Flowey and Sans make sense, but what about Asgore? How does Asgore know that he's killed you so many times? Why does he keep trying?

Maybe I'm overlooking something completely obvious, I dunno.

Still have the soundtrack stuck in my head, thinking about buying it on Steam. It's not particularly unique, if you just scrub through the tracks they sound like every JRPG ever, but man is it catchy and cohesive and wonderful. Also think the game does a great job with the timing of music cuts, whether it's for comedic or dramatic effect.

Some examples for anyone curious:

Snowdin Town
Dating Start!
Waterfall
Spider Dance

Snowdin in particular reminds me of PS1 era RPG soundtracks.

Like Saga Frontier 2 or Dew Prism.

undertale mashups will never top the temmie one because "i could give it to my dog, he makes money when he barks" might as well be a line written about undertale

DNAbro

Man I just got past the
Undyne
fight. I can already tell this game is probably going to be in the fight for my GOTY.

PSqueak

Banned
Well,
everything up to and including Sans did tell you that you would gain absolutely nothing by finishing this, you're literally doing it for no other reason than to satisfy your own curiosity. Is it any wonder that the ending of the genocide route ends up being tedious and thoroughly unsatisfying?

It's pretty brilliant. There's no carrot on the stick we're chasing but we keep chasing the stick anyway because why not?

Yup, and thats one of the best aspects of the game.

The "you" character basically drawing attention to your gaming habits, and how it encourages you to destroy the world forever and move on to the next, that is, be done with Undertale and move to the next game where you'll likewise do things out of boredom and curiosity and basically pretend you're above consequences, the fact that this taints your game FOREVER is just the cherry on top.

Frankly is one of the greatest things about the game that almosn't nobody is talking about. I guess it makes people uncomfortable to come to terms with it.

DNAbro

How are you playing? Pacifist?

That fight is incredible.

Pacifist, figured it would be the best way to experience the game since the game does seem to be designed around it. I died a few times during the fight because I didn't figure out
that I had to run away lol.

Battle system is incredibly fun.

Damn sounds like I need to check this out. I know hyperbole gets bandied about when it comes to honeymoon periods with games on gaf but could anybody say whether this would belong in the pantheon of classic rpgs from what they've seen so far?

Granjinha

Pacifist, figured it would be the best way to experience the game since the game does seem to be designed around it. I died a few times during the fight because I didn't figure out
that I had to run away lol.

Battle system is incredibly fun.

Yeah, the battle system is amazing, much better than i thought it would be. I don't have the guts to kill any of the characters from the game. Finished and won't come back for a genocide run.

Damn sounds like I need to check this out. I know hyperbole gets bandied about when it comes to honeymoon periods with games on gaf but could anybody say whether this would belong in the pantheon of classic rpgs from what they've seen so far?

For me it would go in the pantheon of classic games, period. I love it that much.

DNAbro

I would put it a different class than classic rpgs. It borrows from old ones in obvious ways but feels very fresh in terms of mechanics and originality. Humor can be hit or miss but it's pretty charming.

PSqueak

Banned

Well, i dunno if this ammounts for anything, but earlier i was talking about the game with a buddy and...uhm...i suddenly began crying about my whole experience with the game...it's really emotional and in my opinion a game that really can make you feel such strong emotions like this definitely deserves being among the panteon of classics.

Nah this game is a classic.

There's nothing else like it, and it's very doubtful there will be anything like it ever again.

And that's alright.

jman2050

I'm certainly one to try and take into account the effect recency bias can have and obviously it'll take a while to see if this all holds up but damn, sometimes you play a game and you just know.

Maybe 2 weeks on still isn't long enough to be sure, but I'd personally put it up there as one of my top games of all time, if not THE top. Something about how focused and genuine the entire experience is really resonates with me.

Of course, it's all subjective in the end. So the best thing you could do is play through the demo once or twice, checking out all your options. It'll give you a good idea of what you're in for.

Hyoukokun

There's nothing else like it, and it's very doubtful there will be anything like it ever again.
I do hope that more devs pick up the pacifist / combat alternative gauntlet it's throwing down. It's not the first game to offer a pacifist option, but I feel like it *is* one of the first to put as much effort (or more, really) in to making that route just as challenging and engaging as typical combat options.

How are you supposed to pronounce Undyne's name?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undine?

I do hope that more devs pick up the pacifist / combat alternative gauntlet it's throwing down. It's not the first game to offer a pacifist option, but I feel like it *is* one of the first to put as much effort (or more, really) in to making that route just as challenging and engaging as typical combat options.

I'm more partial to the fact that it holds the player accountable for his own actions.

Games are too afraid to not stroke the player's ego these days. I'm sick of that.

To be fair it strokes your ego a bit on the pacifist run but it's meant to be all touchy feely.

The song that plays during
the final fight with Asriel
is just so damn hype

I haven't been able to stop thinking about this game since I finished it lol

PSqueak

Banned
To be fair it strokes your ego a bit on the pacifist run but it's meant to be all touchy feely.

It kinda unstrokes it when you realize what the big reveal about the main character means in the greater scheme of things.

The song that plays during
the final fight with Asriel
is just so damn hype

I haven't been able to stop thinking about this game since I finished it lol

I knooooow right!

Thats another thematic thing that i loved about the game, Flowey represented the essence of "Grimdark", Frisk represents innocence, the Asriel battle was like fighting to save an angsty teen's innocence from going full grimdark.

Wikipedia is using the /i/ sound in its phonetics, which is closest to the English "ee". It's a pretty decent rule that unless you an English origin to a word, the letter i is pretty much never pronounced like eye. Basically Wikipedia suggests 'Undeen' for the water elementals, though it appears it's irrelevant as Toby seems to have landed on 'Undyne' himself. Since he's the English-speaking origin of the character, that seems phonetically in line with expectations.

It's hard to be objective about it. It's been tough to stop thinking about while I was playing and once I had beaten it. Due to the structure of the game, it's easy to miss parts of the story, and it encourages people to share and speculate to piece it all together. The amount of easter eggs and secrets, and the potential differences in someone's run also keeps the game going. Having fully beaten it now, I've gotten my closure, but now my friends started playing.
P4010.gif

I don't know where it'll stand in a year from now, but it's all looking pretty favourable at the moment.

dity

I'm up to
the King
on my first playthrough now and wow it's hard!

Anyone got any tips on how I can get through this?

Geg

I started playing this weekend but I've been going a little slower than I'd like; just met Alphys and Mettaton. Loving it so far, everything from the humor to the music to the overall tone and the way it constantly plays with your expectations is hitting all the right notes for me.
Basically reminds me of everything I loved about early Homestuck

I suck at dodging most enemy attack patterns though lol. I love how all the boss fights so far have really mixed it up by altering that mechanic in unique ways

Moonlight

Banned
I'm up to
the King
on my first playthrough now and wow it's hard!

Anyone got any tips on how I can get through this?
The most important thing to know is this:
you need to fight. The game is not lying to you when it tells you that either you must fight Asgore, and he doesn't blow up the Spare button for no reason. That's not to say diplomacy is useless - enough talking will lower his will to fight/his attack and defense for the fight.

If you still have Toriel's ButtPie, then that'll lower it as well, but that's as much as you're going to get as far as I know. After that, it's just a matter of fighting and surviving. And of course having a ton of healing items ready to scarf down.

Last thing which I struggled with is the move where he swipes with his halberd. His eyes flashing (orange or blue) signal if you should be moving or not to dodge the attack, ala the lasers. If the pattern is, say, orange orange blue, you'd move around for the first two swipes and stop just before the third. It's not so hard a fight, honestly.

dity

The most important thing to know is this:
you need to fight. The game is not lying to you when it tells you that either you must fight Asgore, and he doesn't blow up the Spare button for no reason. That's not to say diplomacy is useless - enough talking will lower his will to fight/his attack and defense for the fight.

If you still have Toriel's ButtPie, then that'll lower it as well, but that's as much as you're going to get as far as I know. After that, it's just a matter of fighting and surviving. And of course having a ton of healing items ready to scarf down.

Last thing which I struggled with is the move where he swipes with his halberd. His eyes flashing (orange or blue) signal if you should be moving or not to dodge the attack, ala the lasers. If the pattern is, say, orange orange blue, you'd move around for the first two swipes and stop just before the third. It's not so hard a fight, honestly.

Oh so I can actually just fight like a traditional RPG? Well alrighty then

I think I was making it harder because, well, I was hoping there'd be a way to get back my ability to spare him - like basically every other fight in the game. Can't blame me for trying right?

Conan-san

I get it's totally against the ethos of the game but I kidna wish there was an The Arena / The TRUE Arena so you could acauly do the fights. Like I want to try the
Sans and Undyne Undying
fights but I don't have the disposition to be a murderous SOB.

PSqueak

Banned
Asgore's
fight was honestly pretty easy.

Once you realize what you have to do, yeah, but you have been avoiding what has to be done for the entire game if you're aiming for the best ending, so that's why some people, such as me, struggled with the fight >.>;

DNAbro

ahhhh i stayed up late to finish this game and oh my god this was a fantastic experience. I need to let it digest a bit before I give my full thoughts but my god this was great.

Top Bottom