• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

ivb_1973

Banned
I just reached
Hotland

How far I am to the finale? Trying to do a Pacifist run. It's posible to make a True pacifist on the same run? I plan to do Genocide or something else for subsequent runs.

I just reached
Hotland

How far I am to the finale? Trying to do a Pacifist run. It's posible to make a True pacifist on the same run? I plan to do Genocide or something else for subsequent runs.
You're in the last third of your first run, and as far as I know it's impossible to get a true pacifist ending on your first run.

Certain events you have to complete to fulfill the requirements for a True Pacifist ending don't trigger until after you do your first run.

Once you realize what you have to do, yeah, but you have been avoiding what has to be done for the entire game if you're aiming for the best ending, so that's why some people, such as me, struggled with the fight >.>;
My thoughts as well, along with
Undyne.
If you're going pacifist it just feels like you've been trained to do the exact opposite of what you're meant to do as a pacifist in those two situations.

Haganeren

Uh, well, it's not as if you HAVE to do an entirely second run. Personally i just beat the last boss, reloaded my save and did the stuff i needed to do in order to have the true pacifist run.

... It honestly felt like one run.

I personally finished the game three days ago, couldn't get it out of my head and decided to do a genocide route which was... painful. Now i don't know what to play/to do... Too bad good things have to end... Or maybe they are good because they end ?

bounchfx

Uh, well, it's not as if you HAVE to do an entirely second run. Personally i just beat the last boss, reloaded my save and did the stuff i needed to do in order to have the true pacifist run.

yeah this, it was maybe another 2 hours total doing all of the rest, and it's not like you have to start from the beginning

ivb_1973

Banned

I personally finished the game three days ago, couldn't get it out of my head and decided to do a genocide route which was... painful. Now i don't know what to play/to do... Too bad good things have to end... Or maybe they are good because they end ?

Thank you! That feels more proper. At this point I didn't expect less from Toby "white pomeranian".

dity

I know you don't NEED to do a whole complete second run to do the true pacifist ending - but what if I want to, how do I go about that? Is there a New Game+ option, does going back into my save take me back to the beginning? How do you make sure the game knows you've done your first playthrough?

Dunkley

I know you don't NEED to do a whole complete second run to do the true pacifist ending - but what if I want to, how do I go about that? Is there a New Game+ option, does going back into my save take me back to the beginning? How do you make sure the game knows you've done your first playthrough?

You don't need to make sure, everything you do is saved pretty much instantly, and will be reflected even if you restart mid-playthrough.

So in order to do a second playthrough, you just Reset after beating the Final Boss of the Neutral Ending.

GooeyHeat

Going back into your save puts you at the last save point right before
Asgore
If you want to play through it all again, then just start a new game. Undertale knows many things.

The game writes over your old save when you're done, and when you load, you're back at your final save point. You can just walk back and wrap up. You'll know if it worked if
Undyne hands you the letter. The letter unlocks the final sidequest that allows you to see the true pacifist ending. Note that you have to be her friend before she'll trust you with the letter, so if you hadn't befriended her yet, you'll have to do that too.

Same. I think it worked because the final fight of the original run and the epilogue felt so crucial to the story mechanics.
It forces you to go back and redo things at least once, which the game can then play around with.

dity

Oh ok, so there's two layers of save file. The one with your current progress and another system save file? That's awesome.

My partner mossed the start of the game so when we go for true pacifist she wants to see the beginning. She's also going to be making some fan art tonight too.

My partner mossed the start of the game so when we go for true pacifist she wants to see the beginning. She's also going to be making some fan art tonight too.
There's a distinct lack of fanart in this thread, so if she doesn't mind and it isn't too spoilerific, feel free to share.

JC Sera

The subject of that third one made me sad and yours is no exception!

I've done what I guess could be considered fanart but
it's just me doodling Undyne heads in an attempt to integrate my fish nerdiness
same
CPaOwGjUEAAMRf5.png
click & drag brothers

Cowie

So many pages showed up while I was out of town! This makes me happy! Posting about Undertale!!!

Was watching my girlfriend play through it this weekend (I'm super jazzed that she is enjoying it), and I have a question! it's probably not a spoiler at all but for some reason I feel compelled to tag it. Sorry, you're going to have to do some unnecessary work to read my post =(

She killed the dummy at the very beginning, when Toriel is teaching you how to fight. She's spared everything else -- do you think the dummy will lock her out of true pacifist? It gives you 0 xp and 0 gold, so my hunch is that she'll be alright. However, later on when you fight the dummy in the garbage sewers, he yelled at her for destroying his brother's home (which was pretty funny.)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
So many pages showed up while I was out of town! This makes me happy! Posting about Undertale!!!

Was watching my girlfriend play through it this weekend (I'm super jazzed that she is enjoying it), and I have a question! it's probably not a spoiler at all but for some reason I feel compelled to tag it. Sorry, you're going to have to do some unnecessary work to read my post =(

She killed the dummy at the very beginning, when Toriel is teaching you how to fight. She's spared everything else -- do you think the dummy will lock her out of true pacifist? It gives you 0 xp and 0 gold, so my hunch is that she'll be alright. However, later on when you fight the dummy in the garbage sewers, he yelled at her for destroying his brother's home (which was pretty funny.)
Tried looking it up online and am getting conflicting reports, but once she beats it open up the game once more and you should know if something pops up.

DNAbro

So after sleeping on it I can definitely say this was definitely one of the best games that I've played this year. I don't know how to describe it but there is something so genuine and heartfelt about this game that I can't help but love it. Something about it makes me to create something great like it. Gameplay is great, humor is great, story is great,characters are great, music is great. Personally I can't find anything wrong with the game and I have to give it a 10/10.

It's hard to determine if has beat out Bloodborne for my GOTY but it's close.

Granjinha

Oh boy.

Never thought of (end-game spoilers)
taking the butterscotch-cinnamon pie made by Toriel all the way to Asgore. Damn. So many details

Btw, i died a LOT at Asgore trying to not fight him (like, at all), by the time i was acting it was like 'you tell Asgore that he killed you countless times. He nods pitifully

So after sleeping on it I can definitely say this was definitely one of the best games that I've played this year. I don't know how to describe it but there is something so genuine and heartfelt about this game that I can't help but love it. Something about it makes me to create something great like it. Gameplay is great, humor is great, story is great,characters are great, music is great. Personally I can't find anything wrong with the game and I have to give it a 10/10.

It's hard to determine if has beat out Bloodborne for my GOTY but it's close.

Happy to know you enjoyed it! What ending did you get?

DNAbro

Oh boy.

taking the butterscotch-cinnamon pie made by Toriel all the way to Asgore. Damn. So many details

Btw, i died a LOT at Asgore trying to not fight him (like, at all), by the time i was acting it was like 'you tell Asgore that he killed you countless times. He nods pitifully

Happy to know you enjoyed it! What ending did you get?

True Pacifist

I do my research beforehand lol

Cowie

Oh boy.

Heh, (end-game spoilers)
After I died the first time and it said "You tell Asgore that he's already killed you once before," I got the idea that to beat him without fighting I would have to die 6 times so that I would become the seventh soul, and that only then would I be able to not fight him. Turns out, nope! So then I gave up and had to fight him.

Granjinha

Heh, (end-game spoilers)
After I died the first time and it said "You tell Asgore that he's already killed you once before," I got the idea that to beat him without fighting I would have to die 6 times so that I would become the seventh soul, and that only then would I be able to not fight him. Turns out, nope! So then I gave up and had to fight him.

Yeah,
i tried like, more than 10 times. lol

Hyoukokun

Heh, (end-game spoilers)
Had the same thought.
Given that the game clearly keeps track of this sort of thing, I wonder if dying a lot in specific fights DOES unlock any substantive changes. The rabbit hole goes pretty deep on some of this and I doubt we've discovered everything there is in the game just yet.

For instance - it's apparently actually possible to die to Toriel. Does that have any effect on things?

PSqueak

Banned
Heh, (end-game spoilers)

Same here.

I thought that if i couldn't spare him by stalling after 7 tries something would happen, but i actually died 8 or 9 times before i began attacking him, can't remember i i beat him after or during my 9th try

Anyways, since people are now on the fanart phase, here is something i drew last night, and what i consider the only decent Toriel pic i have draw (my avatar looks super bad if you see it full size >.<)

PSqueak

Banned
For instance - it's apparently actually possible to die to Toriel. Does that have any effect on things?

Well, damn, if people are saying this, then i feel dumb about dying at that point because i genuinely sucked at the fight, it seems.

As far as i could tell it's not referenced anywhere, but you do get to see a sprite of Toriel completely horrified for a split second

Puruzi

Banned
Well, damn, if people are saying this, then i feel dumb about dying at that point because i genuinely sucked at the fight, it seems.

As far as i could tell it's not referenced anywhere, but you do get to see a sprite of Toriel completely horrified for a split second

When you get to two health all her shots actively try to move away from you. You must have still been trying to dodge and accidentally dodged into one

Salbug

Same here.

I thought that if i couldn't spare him by stalling after 7 tries something would happen, but i actually died 8 or 9 times before i began attacking him, can't remember i i beat him after or during my 9th try

Anyways, since people are now on the fanart phase, here is something i drew last night, and what i consider the only decent Toriel pic i have draw (my avatar looks super bad if you see it full size >.<)

Gotta love the Mom-esque texts she send you during the end game. :p

Dunkley

Don't worry, I did too the first time I did it.

I felt really dumb going back and realizing while intentionally trying to die on that fight,
it wouldn't let me as she aborts her current attack mid-turn when your health gets low and then proceeds to do her non-attacks for the rest of the fight.

Beats me how I managed to do it the first time. I guess I just sucked that much. :v

dity

I just beat the game for the first time and
HOLY SHIT FLOWEY MADE GIGYAS FROM EARTHBOUND LOOK LIKE NOTHING. NOTHING I TELL YOU. LIKE A SPOOKY TOILET STAIN.

And now I'm trying True Pacifist. Apparently we have to befriend Undyne?

Puruzi

Banned
I just beat the game for the first time and
HOLY SHIT FLOWEY MADE GIGYAS FROM EARTHBOUND LOOK LIKE NOTHING. NOTHING I TELL YOU. LIKE A SPOOKY TOILET STAIN.

And now I'm trying True Pacifist. Apparently we have to befriend Undyne?
You could have done that right after you beat her, but yeah,
become friends with her, then Alphys

dity

You could have done that right after you beat her, but yeah,
become friends with her, then Alphys
I thought her house was literally right next to Napstaghost's house. I got confused. I thought it was the locked house.

Dunkley

Major True Pacifist/No Mercy Run Ending Spoilers/Speculation:
So considering the No Mercy Run apparently establishes that the Fallen Human possesses Frisk at the start and grows in him the more EXP and LOVE he receives, what do you guys think happens in a Non-Soulless True Pacifist Run given that Frisk's SOUL remains tinted red like the Fallen's but shows no signs of the Fallen still influencing him. (like for example, examining the mirror post-Asriel says "It's still just me, Frisk", kinda underlining that). Do you guys think that the Fallen's SOUL just remains in there like a demon sealed away, did his SOUL just get kicked out of Frisk, or did Frisk absorb his half-monster/half-human SOUL powers in order to use the demon's strength to do good and SAVE the world from ending?

PSqueak

Banned
Major True Pacifist/No Mercy Run Ending Spoilers/Speculation:
So considering the No Mercy Run apparently establishes that the Fallen Human possesses Frisk at the start and grows in him the more EXP and LOVE he receives, what do you guys think happens in a Non-Soulless True Pacifist Run given that Frisk's SOUL remains tinted red like the Fallen's but shows no signs of the Fallen still influencing him. (like for example, examining the mirror post-Asriel says "It's still just me, Frisk", kinda underlining that). Do you guys think that the Fallen's SOUL just remains in there like a demon sealed away, did his SOUL just get kicked out of Frisk, or did Frisk absorb his half-monster/half-human SOUL powers in order to use the demon's strength to do good and SAVE the world from ending?

Frisk kicked the fallen's (AKA your) influence out, Asriel tells you that he will turn back into flowey again soon, i believe the implication is that the fallen's soul got back there and they become flowey again, hence why he gives you one last message as Flowey at the end of the true happy ending despite that you can see him in his physical form in the ruins.

Aye:
you can make a snowman very happy by carrying it to the end of the game.

I tried to do this, but had to eat the snowball in the second to last fight >.<

K.Sabot

I tried to do this, but had to eat the snowball in the second to last fight >.<

I did it, but forgot to go back to the snowman after I finished the game, and now I'll never play it again on principle. I'd like to think Frisk made a new snowman with that piece.

Finished my first playthrough last night and I still feel horrible for
accidentally killing Toriel at the start. She said I needed to show her how strong I was to let me pass so I thought I'd need to bring her to low health and then spare her, only to deal a massive killing blow when she was around 25% health.

K.Sabot

accidentally killing Toriel at the start. She said I needed to show her how strong I was to let me pass so I thought I'd need to bring her to low health and then spare her, only to deal a massive killing blow when she was around 25% health.

Yeah a ton of people I know took that as a learning experience, said they took absolutely every avenue they could to spare people before hitting them after that.

PSqueak

Banned

i didn't let the game trick me, even after you're informed that you can only spare people with yellow names i kept hitting spare because if you're going for never attacking, the spare button is basically your "Pass turn" button, and like Toriel told you before, sometimes you just have to stall them.

Out of curiosity, if you didn't kill anybody else, what happened in the ending?

I also killed Undyne after not being able to figure out how to befriend her. Cried after Sans told me about what Toriel asked him to do, then killed Asgore ending up leaving the Underground and returning home after killing Flowey

K.Sabot

i didn't let the game trick me, even after you're informed that you can only spare people with yellow names i kept hitting spare because if you're going for never attacking, the spare button is basically your "Pass turn" button, and like Toriel told you before, sometimes you just have to stall them.

I think I can answer that,
You get the neutral ending and it makes you start the game all the way over. Going full Pacifist the first time allows you to backtrack from before the final boss after you finish the neutral end.

edit: so much spoiler text in the past few pages, you'd think we should have made a spoiler thread for it.

Top Bottom