• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

NEO0MJ

Just started the game. It really caught me off guard when
I restarted the game after accidentally killing Toriel. When the character shows a reaction the next time he fights her I was wonder if the game actually saves continuously and it turns out I was right after the asshole flower talked to me afterward. Don't like how it kinda feels like a trap though in that you do insane damage to her in a single strike a bit after having her lose more than half her health.

PSqueak

Banned
Just started the game. It really caught me off guard when
I restarted the game after accidentally killing Toriel. When the character shows a reaction the next time he fights her I was wonder if the game actually saves continuously and it turns out I was right after the asshole flower talked to me afterward. Don't like how it kinda feels like a trap though in that you do insane damage to her in a single strike a bit after having her lose more than half her health.

It's kinda like set up like a trap, but npcs do hint how to do it peacefully, and you just gotta remember
Your Spare button is the "pass turn" option.

NEO0MJ

It's kinda like set up like a trap, but npcs do hint how to do it peacefully, and you just gotta remember
Your Spare button is the "pass turn" option.

Yeah. But when I pressed it the first time and only got the "..." response I thought I might have to do more damage to get her to respond to me and was shocked when it KOed her. After restarting I just kept pressing it and noticed that there were more "..." lines so I kept sparing. Wonder what the flower's deal is.

Ultimadrago

Well he was calling something that happened normally a glitch so I wouldn't put much stock into that. But the menuing does glitch a bit with changing pages in the item menu during battle but that isn't really much of a problem till the Genocide route final boss.

As written a bajillion pages ago, mybe this doesn't count as a glitch as it is more of an oversight on Toby's part, but what i encountered is the game crashes if you die to
Papyrus' final attack
as this boss is supposed to be literally unable to kill you, but if you reach the last attack with low enough health you can die to it and the game crashes cause you're not supposed to.

Interesting, thanks. I'll be sure to give the heads up to others playing the game, if I can.

Syril

Final(ish) fight spoilers.

Does the boss fights get easier after the player fails a few times? Asgore really kicked the crap out of me until the one time he didn't, and that time it felt like I was gifted a very hard final hit while he still had a pretty good amount of HP left. Same with the Flowey bullet hell segment. It felt like the game was ignoring or reducing incoming damage that should have been lethal.

Appreciated for sure if true!
Asgore doesn't want to kill you but feels obligated to, so any lethal hit from him will reduce your HP to 1 before it kills you so he can tell himself that he held off until the last possible moment. Every boss will suddenly take more damage than normal when they're almost dead as their resolve falters, but Asgore doesn't have much resolve in the first place and will steadily take more damage from every hit once he's below one third or so.

The HP meter during Flowey's fight is deceptive. Every hit will reduce it by half and only kill you if there's one pixel left. I interpreted it as Flowey is messing with the interface to make his fight feel hopeless.

Just finished the game on Pacifist.

Thought it was cute. The characters and enemies were entertaining and I loved the music (best part of the game IMO). Not sure if I really enjoyed the story, but it made for a fun playthrough at least. I don't have any desire to play through the
Genocide
run from what I've read of the requirements. Just sounds like a pain in the ass.

1upsuper

Reading Eurogamer's Undertale write-up, I notice the writer referring to the first playthrough as 5 hours long. I'm pretty certain that part of the reason this game is divisive is that its keen fans can't imagine players hitting snags, and for anyone to have a miserable time playing the game.

I've spent far more than 5 hours with this game, and many of them have been pretty unpleasant due to tedious random battles or glitches. I would love to see the whole game, but it's interesting how the game is a fun experience for many and for others pretty annoying to get through.

To be honest, after seeing your posts in this thread, I don't think I've seen anyone struggle as much as you are. The "glitches" are suspect, the encounter rate isn't that high, and I'm honestly not sure where you're finding all these other people struggling through the game to the degree that makes it a "divisive" experience. Not trying to be rude here, but I think your experience is not common at all.

Corpekata

Banned
Reading Eurogamer's Undertale write-up, I notice the writer referring to the first playthrough as 5 hours long. I'm pretty certain that part of the reason this game is divisive is that its keen fans can't imagine players hitting snags, and for anyone to have a miserable time playing the game.

I've spent far more than 5 hours with this game, and many of them have been pretty unpleasant due to tedious random battles or glitches. I would love to see the whole game, but it's interesting how the game is a fun experience for many and for others pretty annoying to get through.

Did you ever consider you are the outlier? I think you VASTLY overestimate the number struggling with the game like you are.

Even among the people that don't like it, very few are posting that it is hard or there are too many glitches. The division is based on story content generally, not mechanical.

Fuzzery

Just got it and beat it over the weekend, managed to get all 3 endings
I actually lucked out, not befriending Alphys, then getting the neutral ending and fighting asgore and flowey, then after that after sparing flowey he told me to befriend alphys, so I went back from the save and it then triggered the true ending. After that, did the genocide route. Knew for sure that Sans was going to be a badass and that you'd be able to fight him, went to become my favorite character immediately after that. I believe him when he says he'd have immediately fucked your shit up at the start if he didn't promise Toriel

PSqueak

Banned
Just got it and beat it over the weekend, managed to get all 3 endings
I actually lucked out, not befriending Alphys, then getting the neutral ending and fighting asgore and flowey, then after that after sparing flowey he told me to befriend alphys, so I went back from the save and it then triggered the true ending. After that, did the genocide route. Knew for sure that Sans was going to be a badass and that you'd be able to fight him, went to become my favorite character immediately after that. I believe him when he says he'd have immediately fucked your shit up at the start if he didn't promise Toriel

You didn't luck out
You can't do the true lab unless you have beaten Flowey at least once.

v1perz53

So while I love the music in this game, I am not really getting the "instant classic" vibes basically everyone who recommended this game to me has. There are a lot of little things that bother me and have been interfering with my enjoyment. Not loving the "rapidly hit z then x every time a dialog box pops up" to advance the text, wish there was just an instant text option. Save points are definitely too far apart, especially when it is a save point, two or three slow puzzles, then an area with random battles that you can potentially die to. Honestly, probably my own fault since I am trying
to play full pacifist
since everyone told me to do so that recommended the game (wish they hadn't told me anything honestly). I feel like I should just run from random battles more I guess? And
trying not to kill bosses/randoms I die ALL THE TIME. My 20 HP is not nearly enough.
Maybe I just suck or my laptop keyboard is bad but I really struggle to avoid hits during battles in almost all cases.

Gonna keep going, I just
finished Papyrus, obviously by losing 3 times because I suck
so not too far in, but I wonder when this game is supposed to grab me like it did all my friends who cannot stop talking about it.

mbpm1

So while I love the music in this game, I am not really getting the "instant classic" vibes basically everyone who recommended this game to me has. There are a lot of little things that bother me and have been interfering with my enjoyment. Not loving the "rapidly hit z then x every time a dialog box pops up" to advance the text, wish there was just an instant text option. Save points are definitely too far apart, especially when it is a save point, two or three slow puzzles, then an area with random battles that you can potentially die to. Honestly, probably my own fault since I am trying
to play full pacifist
since everyone told me to do so that recommended the game (wish they hadn't told me anything honestly). I feel like I should just run from random battles more I guess? And
trying not to kill bosses/randoms I die ALL THE TIME. My 20 HP is not nearly enough.
Maybe I just suck or my laptop keyboard is bad but I really struggle to avoid hits during battles in almost all cases.

Gonna keep going, I just
finished Papyrus, obviously by losing 3 times because I suck
so not too far in, but I wonder when this game is supposed to grab me like it did all my friends who cannot stop talking about it.

X is pretty instant

v1perz53

X is pretty instant

Yea, but you can't advance text with X, so you need to alternate between Z and X. I guess they did it so you don't accidentally skip text, but I personally would prefer just a menu option to make it always instant. Or at least an indicator (little down arrow or something) when text was complete like most games have. I just find the way to advance text in this game (pressing z->x over and over) mildly irritating. Just making X instantly complete the text but also be able to advance it would be superior in my eyes too.

VERY minor complaint though, but it adds a bit of tedium given how many things I have had to repeat because of my suckiness.

1upsuper

It sounds like your issues are stemming pretty much entirely from the game's difficulty. I'm just gonna guess you don't have a lot of experience with SHMUPs/bullet hells? Maybe try switching to a controller?

mbpm1

I died a couple of times in some of the boss fights, and definitely took longer than 5 hours, but it never seemed hard somehow.

Even when I didn't know how to
beat Asgore
I was just like, "welp, this will take a while."

I got to
Asgore
and couldn't beat it. I didn't like playing it at all and got so tired of butting my head against the game that I stopped playing.

That's not the encounter I'm talking about, lol. There is a fight far harder then anything in the neutral route in another playthrough, and then a fight that trumps that one easily.

Well I've watched enough random streams of it to know there are people who have trouble with the dodging in defense segments.

That's where I frequently got stuck. Got to a bunch of boss fights that felt tedious to me all the way to near the end and the game's charm just wore thin on me.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I did a pacifist run as my only run and played with a 360 pad, I died here and there but things went pretty smooth and fun. I do wonder how well it plays with the keyboard though, the stick definitely felt ideal for dodging the enemy patterns.

Puruzi

Banned
I did a pacifist run as my only run and plead with a 360 pad, I died here and there but things went pretty smooth and fun. I do wonder how well it plays with the keyboard though, the stick definitely felt ideal for dodging the enemy patterns.

Keyboard was perfect imo

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Wait no mouse control? I guess that would make it too easy.

Unless it was designed for it they'd break the games balance like the CAVE iOS ports. Though they do tweak the game a bit for those.

Also theres always the option of getting Temmie armor later in the game if you've died a lot the price should be peanuts.

Ferrio

Banned
I did a pacifist run as my only run and played with a 360 pad, I died here and there but things went pretty smooth and fun. I do wonder how well it plays with the keyboard though, the stick definitely felt ideal for dodging the enemy patterns.

I felt stick was good for everything except the Undyne and Muffet fights.

I did get a very nice but brief e-mail reply from Toby, with regards to problems with the current battle system and alternatives for players without the reflexes.

This being from when I was entertaining the absurd idea of a twitch-free Zork battle system:

Toby Fox said:
Yeah, I feel bad that the game is inaccessible to some players. Kind of too inherent in the game's systems though. A zork combat system would be extremely difficult too

And yeah I think that would have made for, uh, redoing the entire game from scratch.

Still, who knows what he has in mind for the next game.

Finally got around to starting this tonight. Played for about two hours. Music is really, really nice. That's really all I can say so far. Haven't really laughed or found anything about the game particularly outstanding. But I'm still early so I'll keep diving in. But a little disappointed so far after hearing so many great things.

Fuzzery

I think I know what hard mode is intended for

If you do true pacifist in hard mode, and you've been possessed by Chara already, then Asriel notices something wrong at the end. Chara appears and you fight him as the true final boss of the game.

Hello, friends!

I started playing this for the first time a bit a week ago before I went on vacation and picked it up again now that I'm back. I am LOVING it so far. Love the music, the characters after the first boss, the setting, the humor, etc. I'm always giggling when I'm not rolling my eyes.

I just beat the second boss and on my way to the next part! :)

Top Bottom