• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

So I've been playing through this game, but does anyone else have this maddening issue where half the time key presses don't register?

I'm on Moffet right now and its impossible since the game is not responding to my input.

EDIT: Anybody? :(

I finished the game (full pacifist) yesterday. Amazing game, I loved all characters (yes, even Dr. Alphys;
I found her geekyness and awkwardness endearing, even though at first I thought she was in love with Frisk, not Undine
). My other sentiments have already been echoed often in the last page, namely that I had to look up, and it was the only thing I had to look up, how to defeat
Asgore (I understand the reasons but I'm not sold on how you have to fight/kill him)
and that there's no way I'll reset the game for a genocide run, so I'll just youtube it.

Really loved many of the boss fights and patterns, there's apparently a hard mode semi-announced (with a "probably, don't count on it" disclaimer) which I hope actually materializes in the future. Or failing that, a boss rush mode consisting of you dodging all attacks and seeing how you do.

So I've been playing through this game, but does anyone else have this maddening issue where half the time key presses don't register?

I'm on Moffet right now and its impossible since the game is not responding to my input.

EDIT: Anybody? :(

Never happened to me, but I'm playing with a gamepad. Wait, you say Moffet? You realize you are clipped to a grid, right? The game won't let you move diagonally so you have to press, say, right, let go, then up.

Another thing:

I thought it was dumb that the game threw a "you were possessed by the spirit of a murderous child the whole time" plot point at the last moment just to justify all the vile shit the player character could or could've done. This is revealed on the end of both the genocide and pacifist run. I think the implications of killing everyone just because you can would have had more sticking power if it wasn't due to the first human apparently compelling you to.

That's not the case.
Chara isn't responsible for your actions. They simply say that with every kill, you helped awakened them. It's only if you sell your soul to Chara (which isn't until the very end of a Genocide run) that Chara possesses Frisk.

Saikyo

5)
Undertale can detect if video image recording software is being used, and if so, during Flowey's monologue, he'll claim that he and the player are at least better than the people watching, as they don't have the spine to do it themselves. I watched a Genocide run on Youtube, and the game was actually speaking to me as a viewer.

Thats not true
Flowey says the line even if you arent playing with fraps, OBS or Xsplit running, confirmed it playing all the genocide route. It can be funny if you are playing this route for a friend and see their reaction for this haha.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah I get the hate for alphys, but I dunno, I think she's a great flawed character. In some ways I can definitely see myself in her.

DNAbro

If you kill ANYTHING that is not So Sorry and one another side mob, your current run is ruined, your only option for a pacifist run is resetting the game.

This isn't true. You still get exp with those.

Yeah I get the hate for alphys, but I dunno, I think she's a great flawed character. In some ways I can definitely see myself in her.

My friend had a problem with her cause he said she was almost too real. Like he knew people kind of like her.

Thats not true
Flowey says the line even if you arent playing with fraps, OBS or Xsplit running, confirmed it playing all the genocide route. It can be funny if you are playing this route for a friend and see their reaction for this haha.

Thanks for clarifying, but it still doesn't change the meaning behind it.
Flowey is talking to viewers, and Toby Fox was probably well aware that many people would watch playthroughs online.

Antiwhippy

This isn't true. You still get exp with those.

My friend had a problem with her cause he said she was almost too real. Like he knew people kind of like her.

I also think that they did a pretty great job at making her sympathetic.
She got handed major responsibility, fucked up royally due to unforseen circumstances, couldn't cope with it and developed major insecurity issues from it, but tried to make right by the end.
Who hasn't done that or had the fear of that happening?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Just beat the game for the first time. Wow. What a game. So many feels.

However, I now have two options. Continue or Reset. I want to enjoy the post-game content, but when I click "continue", I appear just before the final boss door and it seems I have to go through the boss stuff agan? Is this normal?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Just beat the game for the first time. Wow. What a game. So many feels.

However, I now have two options. Continue or Reset. I want to enjoy the post-game content, but when I click "continue", I appear just before the final boss door and it seems I have to go through the boss stuff agan? Is this normal?

If you haven't killed anyone before that point leave the castle if you killed anyone reset.

Tizoc

What video are you referring to? I watched this, which shows all the differences in a
Genocide run
; if you're referring to this, are there more things to see?

Oh man, I hope you waited until you beat the game before watching that. Nobody should play/watch
a Genocide run
before a Pacifist playthrough.

If you buy any of the items from her bake sale, the boss fight won't even begin; she'll appear in the corridor, but allow you to pass. However, the items are 9999G each. Even if you can afford them, it's absolutely not worth it.

However, in the Ruins at the start of the game, there's a spider bake sale where you can buy items for around 18G. If you do so, Muffet will still battle you, but if you use the item in battle, it immediately ends the fight.

...OK so apparently I already ATE the item I bought from the Spider Bake sale long time ago, guess I gotta brave through all that dialog.

Parshias7

Could someone give me a spoiler-lite rundown as possible about ordering in order to play the game to see all the endings? I'll continue this post in spoilers in case the little bits I've read so far would spoil someone else.

So I know there are three endings, Pacifist, Normal, and Genocide. Normal is just... do whatever, you'll probably get Normal. Pacifist includes not killing anyone, Genocide involves killing EVERYONE. But is there some kind of order or special requirement to get any ending, other than what I just mentioned? I thought I read somewhere you need to unlock something with a Normal play through first before you can do Pacifist, and that your kills are... recorded? across runs so you might need to do something else special for certain endings. That a something about a secret room, which I'm not sure if its tied to a certain ending or not.

I know the answer will probably contain some spoilers, which I'm fine with, as long as there's a decent description of what order I should try things in. A (totally fake) example would be something like:

Do a Normal run -> Make sure to flip all the switches in the final dungeon to unlock SECRET -> Do a Genocide run -> reset your data to lose your kills -> do a Pacifist run

Would like to go through my first run mostly on my own, before breaking out a guide for the tougher endings, but want to make sure I'm not missing some secret unlock that carries through runs if I'm just farting around on my own.

Tizoc

OK so i just reached
Asgore who got rid of my Mercy Icon, how do I finish this battle? I don't have any healing items on me and Talk does nothing

OK so i just reached
Asgore who got rid of my Mercy Icon, how do I finish this battle? I don't have any healing items on me and Talk does nothing
Hint
Him breaking the mercy button should be all you need to know

Solution
Fight

Alright, last question (for now)

Neutral playthrough:
I posted last page. I'm 5 hours in now and I'm still level 1, but I killed like 2 enemies at the very very beginning. Am I better off just restarting my game now to go full Pacifist? Or should I kill some more enemies to actually level up? I want to do full pacifist before my genocide run so I'm wondering what the best move I could make right now, for completionists sake.

DNAbro

Neutral playthrough:
I posted last page. I'm 5 hours in now and I'm still level 1, but I killed like 2 enemies at the very very beginning. Am I better off just restarting my game now to go full Pacifist? Or should I kill some more enemies to actually level up? I want to do full pacifist before my genocide run so I'm wondering what the best move I could make right now, for completionists sake.

I would say keep going. Which section are you in?

Neutral playthrough:

If you're that far in, you may as well finish up that neutral run and then restart for a pacifist run. Your first time beating the game will always be the neutral ending, so you may as well get it out of the way.

I would say keep going. Which section are you in?

If you're that far in, you may as well finish up that neutral run and then restart for a pacifist run. Your first time beating the game will always be the neutral ending, so you may as well get it out of the way.
Thanks. I'm at the part where
what's her name is texting me incessantly, haha. I'm like 30 mins past the cook off with the robot. If I'm already stuck going neutral, will it affect me later if I kill some more enemies to level up a bit?

Kangi

Thanks. I'm at the part where
what's her name is texting me incessantly, haha. I'm like 30 mins past the cook off with the robot. If I'm already stuck going neutral, will it affect me later if I kill some more enemies to level up a bit?

Won't negatively affect anything but your conscience and people's opinions of you.

Though if you kill any major characters, which neutral ending you get can change.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Just completed a pacifist run today. I'm happy that I lucked out with some things (like I didn't use
the spider stuff nor the butterscotch pie for no particular reason, and then I figured out it was time to use those items by myself
), made those moments special and amusing. And I'm thankful that I naturally did a pacifist run from the start without thinking too much about it since
after the neutral ending I didn't have to play from the beginning. I hadn't befriended Undyne and after the neutral ending Flowey suggested me to load my save to go and do that

The only time I looked something up online while I was still playing was
the Asgore battle
, but it looks like that was the case for a lot of people. Anyway, it was funny to
finally see how the fight command actually looked for the first time so late in the game
, lol. At first I felt that
Flowey force-quitting the game so much
was a bit obnoxious, but I eventually bought into what the game was trying to do at that part.

Very cool, cute and satisfying game, I'm glad I went into it pretty much blind. I'm still reading up on some details and things I didn't do/see. I have zero desire to do a genocide run myself (although I'll watch the differences online), but that's ok too since
not wanting to do it is also part of the point
. This might be the first game I play where I think that this type of meta aspect works without it feeling somewhat forced.

edit: super bummed I didn't get to hear Megalovania though, I knew that song from before Undertale and I love it.

I finished the game (full pacifist) yesterday. Amazing game, I loved all characters (yes, even Dr. Alphys;
I found her geekyness and awkwardness endearing, even though at first I thought she was in love with Frisk, not Undine
). My other sentiments have already been echoed often in the last page, namely that I had to look up, and it was the only thing I had to look up, how to defeat
Asgore (I understand the reasons but I'm not sold on how you have to fight/kill him)
and that there's no way I'll reset the game for a genocide run, so I'll just youtube it.

Really loved many of the boss fights and patterns, there's apparently a hard mode semi-announced (with a "probably, don't count on it" disclaimer) which I hope actually materializes in the future. Or failing that, a boss rush mode consisting of you dodging all attacks and seeing how you do.

Never happened to me, but I'm playing with a gamepad. Wait, you say Moffet? You realize you are clipped to a grid, right? The game won't let you move diagonally so you have to press, say, right, let go, then up.

Yeah, I realize that. This has been an issue throughout the game, especially just hitting enter to advance the dialogue, half the time it doesn't register. It was never an issue for freeform movement though, which meant fights were fine up until now. I hit up and half the time it doesn't move me to the next line in the grid. Which is problematic when I'm trying to play as a pacifist.

deeTyrant

So I finished my first run of this a few days ago. I enjoyed my time with the game, I thought it was clever and endearing, I wish I had played the game before I had heard so much about it cause my expectations were a little out of wack.

One thing has been bothering me for the last few days regarding the ending, I'm curious to hear other people's thoughts on it;
I played the entire game pacifist because I found that was a more enjoyable way to engage with the game, as I played through the game it felt like it was really urging me to spare monsters over fighting them so I continued doing so. The whole determination thing played really nicely into that and I liked how against all odds you could always win with kindness.

The game is pretty consistent with this, until Asgore who you have to fight to get the opportunity to spare him. The game does indicate you'll have to fight him ( with Asgore destroying your mercy button and telling you talking is useless after several attempts ) but I felt like the game had established that even when it seems impossible you should still try and do the 'right' thing ( the DETERMINATION thing flashing up before every fight really made me feel certain this was the case ).

So I bashed my head against this for way longer than I should have. Ultimately I googled what I had to do out of frustration. So I fought and spared him. It just felt cheap for some reason. This probably seems super minor but I thought it would be cool if the final confrontation was a real test of your 'determination' and ability to stay true to your code in spite of all evidence pointing you towards fighting him. Attacking Asgore felt like going against everything the game had been building up to until this point.

I then moved on to Flowey and got better and better at dodging his projectiles all the while trying not to hit the 'fight' icon, in the hopes an 'act' icon would appear. I died a lot before finally just fighting him.

The game then told me if I wanted a better ending I should have talked to Undyne more ( I didn't even know I had the opportunity to talk to her more, I must have missed her somewhere ).

As someone who isn't really invested in the individual characters in the story at all and enjoyed more of the interesting mechanical stuff it did, is there any reason to go for another play-through?
Does it alleviate any of my problems I had with the games ending in subsequent runs?

Kangi

The game then told me if I wanted a better ending I should have talked to Undyne more ( I didn't even know I had the opportunity to talk to her more, I must have missed her somewhere ).

As someone who isn't really invested in the individual characters in the story at all and enjoyed more of the interesting mechanical stuff it did, is there any reason to go for another play-through?
Does it alleviate any of my problems I had with the games ending in subsequent runs?

Wait a sec.
Flowey tells you that you can reload your save and go talk to Undyne, not that you did anything wrong. If you do so, you'll get the actual pacifist stuff; you stopped at the neutral ending, but are still "eligible" for the pacifist stuff unless you killed someone.

Ferrio

Banned
So I finished my first run of this a few days ago. I enjoyed my time with the game, I thought it was clever and endearing, I wish I had played the game before I had heard so much about it cause my expectations were a little out of wack.

One thing has been bothering me for the last few days regarding the ending, I'm curious to hear other people's thoughts on it;
I played the entire game pacifist because I found that was a more enjoyable way to engage with the game, as I played through the game it felt like it was really urging me to spare monsters over fighting them so I continued doing so. The whole determination thing played really nicely into that and I liked how against all odds you could always win with kindness.

The game is pretty consistent with this, until Asgore who you have to fight to get the opportunity to spare him. The game does indicate you'll have to fight him ( with Asgore destroying your mercy button and telling you talking is useless after several attempts ) but I felt like the game had established that even when it seems impossible you should still try and do the 'right' thing ( the DETERMINATION thing flashing up before every fight really made me feel certain this was the case ).

So I bashed my head against this for way longer than I should have. Ultimately I googled what I had to do out of frustration. So I fought and spared him. It just felt cheap for some reason. This probably seems super minor but I thought it would be cool if the final confrontation was a real test of your 'determination' and ability to stay true to your code in spite of all evidence pointing you towards fighting him. Attacking Asgore felt like going against everything the game had been building up to until this point.

I then moved on to Flowey and got better and better at dodging his projectiles all the while trying not to hit the 'fight' icon, in the hopes an 'act' icon would appear. I died a lot before finally just fighting him.

The game doesn't really shine until a pacifist ending or a genocide run IMO. If you didn't kill anyone in your neutral run, reload your last save, go visit Undyne. The game should point out what to do from there.

Corpekata

Banned

You don't have to do a 2nd run, just follow the advice of the characters and you'll get a bit more content that's unique.

Syril

That part of the Asgore fight is interesting. Like you said, the game up to that point is consistent with letting you win every battle without fighting, even if it seems impossible at first. I think part of the idea was to make you frustrated with him for forcing you to fight him and face the idea of breaking your pacifist run even though he clearly doesn't want to fight you himself and talking to him is clearly having an effect. However, the "tell him how many times he's killed you" thing is one red herring too many I feel. When I did it I ended up getting myself killed a bunch because I thought there was a solution related to that. There's more I can say about this, but it relates to the new events that you can do after you reload.

deeTyrant

Thanks for the replies
I completely misinterpreted what Flowey meant, I thought it implied I had to repeat an entire playthrough doing the same things and just befriend Undyne next time. Reloading my last save sounds much more reasonable. Sans told me I had not gained any EXP so I think I should still be eligible for the ending. I'll give it a shot.

TheBear

Got to the ending screen with the sleeping dog. Holy shit,
I think I am done with this game, but I loved every second of it. What am I missing out by not doing a genocide run? I never used the mystery key either, what am I missing out on? Is there any way to restore Asriel?
Also, the menu doesn't have the cast in the background, which I've seen elsewhere. What did I miss?

Antiwhippy

Got to the ending screen with the sleeping dog. Holy shit,
I think I am done with this game, but I loved every second of it. What am I missing out by not doing a genocide run? I never used the mystery key either, what am I missing out on? Is there any way to restore Asriel?

The genocide route let's you interact more with asriel.

I'll let you find out yourself what happens to asriel by the end of that route. Worth it if you like asriel though as you learn more about him.
:D

Could someone give me a spoiler-lite rundown as possible about ordering in order to play the game to see all the endings?

There's two ways: either play your first run normally, then start over at the beginning, killing no one, and following the prompts for Pacifist; or don't kill anyone your first time through, get to the neutral ending, then reload and immediately continue on to the Pacifist ending content.

Then, after that, think long and hard about whether you actually want to do a Genocide run.

Illucio

Banned
There's two ways: either play your first run normally, then start over at the beginning, killing no one, and following the prompts for Pacifist; or don't kill anyone your first time through, get to the neutral ending, then reload and immediately continue on to the Pacifist ending content.

Then, after that, think long and hard about whether you actually want to do a Genocide run.

Pretty much how I went about it. Went and did a Pacifist playthrough first and then decided to do Genocide ( I did indeed have a bad time.) Then went and played another Pacifist run to get the genocide twist ending.

TheBear

Yep not feeling the Genocide run. Sounds like it's more of a challenge with the bullet hell stuff which was probably my least favourite part of the game.

dock

Reading Eurogamer's Undertale write-up, I notice the writer referring to the first playthrough as 5 hours long. I'm pretty certain that part of the reason this game is divisive is that its keen fans can't imagine players hitting snags, and for anyone to have a miserable time playing the game.

I've spent far more than 5 hours with this game, and many of them have been pretty unpleasant due to tedious random battles or glitches. I would love to see the whole game, but it's interesting how the game is a fun experience for many and for others pretty annoying to get through.

Ultimadrago

I'm almost surprised by the complete lack of glitches I experienced during my playthrough. Curious to hear about some of the ones people have been seeing.

Antiwhippy

Reading Eurogamer's Undertale write-up, I notice the writer referring to the first playthrough as 5 hours long. I'm pretty certain that part of the reason this game is divisive is that its keen fans can't imagine players hitting snags, and for anyone to have a miserable time playing the game.

I've spent far more than 5 hours with this game, and many of them have been pretty unpleasant due to tedious random battles or glitches. I would love to see the whole game, but it's interesting how the game is a fun experience for many and for others pretty annoying to get through.

I'd say at that point it's valid to look through a playthrough online. Like, I generally like the gameplay, but I can understand reasons why people would dislike it.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I'm almost surprised by the complete lack of glitches I experienced during my playthrough. Curious to hear about some of the ones people have been seeing.

Well he was calling something that happened normally a glitch so I wouldn't put much stock into that. But the menuing does glitch a bit with changing pages in the item menu during battle but that isn't really much of a problem till the Genocide route final boss.

PSqueak

Banned

I didn't encounter any glitches while playing

As written a bajillion pages ago, mybe this doesn't count as a glitch as it is more of an oversight on Toby's part, but what i encountered is the game crashes if you die to
Papyrus' final attack
as this boss is supposed to be literally unable to kill you, but if you reach the last attack with low enough health you can die to it and the game crashes cause you're not supposed to.

I have 10 hours logged on my true pacifist (and only) run (which is longer than a normal run due to the
true lab
and such), and I loved ever second of it from the start. My only regret is that it ends (it has the perfect lenght though, I wouldn't want it to be longer, if that makes sense). I don't think game time has anything to do with its enjoyment. If you aren't enjoying it yet, it's very likely you never will, sorry.

Also, for what it's worth, battles are super fun to me (love the evading minigame, dialogue, everything), and are much more infrequent than in most RPGs. Oh, and I encountered zero glitches.

Draft

Final(ish) fight spoilers.

Does the boss fights get easier after the player fails a few times? Asgore really kicked the crap out of me until the one time he didn't, and that time it felt like I was gifted a very hard final hit while he still had a pretty good amount of HP left. Same with the Flowey bullet hell segment. It felt like the game was ignoring or reducing incoming damage that should have been lethal.

Appreciated for sure if true!

Top Bottom