• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Saikyo

Reading about Gaster...hope more of him is revealed as a reward for playing on a completed hard mode or something.

dity

Has Radiation even confirmed he's going to complete it?
What if a completed Hard Mode is actually already in the game and is unlocked via a fun value?

Speaking of secret stuff, why do people think the wrong number song is a secret? I've got it twice now in the same spot. It just occurs in Snowdin where the boatwoman would drop you.

PSqueak

Banned
What if a completed Hard Mode is actually already in the game and is unlocked via a fun value?

If a completed hard mode happens, i hope this is not the case, becaus i want to keep hope alive for additional content in theoretical future updates.

If it happened:
Realistic expectations: New bosses for both routes along hard mode.
Unlikely but hopeful: Gaster side quest + ending
Never gonna Happen outside my imagination:
Asgore counter campaing of battling/diplomancing your way to steal Frisk from Toriel

Conan-san

The Arena / The True Arena Modes please.

I don't care if Flowery has to pop up and call me a shitheel for it, I want to fight those fights in the sort of friendly Ryu / Ken scinario.

JC Sera

I saw it and I don't care.
Goatbro must be saved.
vyOCW0L.png

Saikyo

Achiviement so we can have some numbers of how many did the pacifist run and "no mercy" run.

With steam sales this game is gonna be a great gift...

JC Sera

Achiviement so we can have some numbers of how many did the pacifist run and "no mercy" run.

I've actually been giving some of my friends with no $$$ my humble bundle DRM free version, and I've gotten back "I'm totally buying this game/soundtrack when I have $$$"

JC Sera

Letting goatbro be stuck as a hellish flower is also not healthy

also
lmfao
its kinda the point; you can't save everybody. You are going to have to let go.
If you don't you are just as bad as original flowey; he tells you that himself after becoming reformed. Post true end flowey is nowhere near as fucked up as beginning flowey.
Beginning flowey interacted with everyone every single way he could; becoming friends to cruelly murdering them.

Even if you try every "possibility" you just run into gaster fragments and sell your soul, and ruin everyones' chance at happiness.

Learn to accept you people leave you, not always in the best way. Sometimes in absolutely awful ways.

This is healthy.

1upsuper

For me it's less about its current high metacritic score and more about the fact that the high score gives it some awesome exposure
so more people can make fake hate reviews to protect their favorite games.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Bought this on impulse.

Ah the cactus.
Truly the most tsundere of plants

:3

Just got the game and had a question.

Im trying to befriend all the bosses (Which i hope is a good thing) but what about the random encounters? Should i do mercy on them or is there any repercussion for killing them?

PSqueak

Banned

Im trying to befriend all the bosses (Which i hope is a good thing) but what about the random encounters? Should i do mercy on them or is there any repercussion for killing them?

Game calls you out on it if you kill random encounters and you can't get the final side quest for the true ending.

Other wise knock youself out.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
To me this is the true successor to Earthbound.
I honestly can't think of another game that gets closer to that mantle. In some ways it surpasses it.

If I have any complaints, I wish the whole game used multicolor pixel art aesthetic. I see the reason why they went with 2 color for battles. But for me, it crossed into being annoying at least a couple of times.

If a sequel is in the works, i'd hope for that they would opt for more detail and color work. This was NOT, by any definition of the word, a large team. I'd hope, based on the success of the game they hire more pixel artists under proper direction. The art direction itself was fantastic.

I'd very much love a sequel based around (Yes, don't click the spoiler if you have not finished the game)
their adventures and hi-jinks in human world

PSqueak

Banned
I personally wouldn't want a direct sequel, the game is too perfect as it is, it's one of those paradoxical things where you want more but you know what you got is perfect enough.

However, an stand alone game unrelated to the story but set in the world of the true ending would be nice to play.

Saikyo

Make a bullet hell retelling version of the game that when you complete with the hardest difficult and without using continues
Asriel is reborn and the fallen child is redeemed/vanished

Granjinha

You can't get the true pacifist ending if you kill anyone, that includes random encounters.

Saikyo

I am reading that there was
a shop that you can sell items
. I didnt found it when I played the game, the last one I found was the
aligator girl and cat girl before the core

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I am reading that there was
a shop that you can sell items
. I didnt found it when I played the game, the last one I found was the
aligator girl and cat girl before the core

It's the Temmie Village Tem Shop in Waterfall.

Alright. It's 10 bucks and if I support Lisa I have to support this. Just bought it.

I am also incredibly amused that it's got like a 97.50 on Game Rankings which might make it the highest ranked game of the year.

Which makes me squirm in ecstatic delight at the number of people who might get legitimately angry that it's reviewing so highly.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Alright. It's 10 bucks and if I support Lisa I have to support this. Just bought it.

I am also incredibly amused that it's got like a 97.50 on Game Rankings which might make it the highest ranked game of the year.

Which makes me squirm in ecstatic delight at the number of people who might get legitimately angry that it's reviewing so highly.

From a standpoint of: "Which game broke the most ground this year?"
I'd be hard pressed to choose anything else this year.

From a perspective of: "Which game provided the best total package". It gets more complicated. It's actually been a pretty good year.

It's also difficult to compare a $9.99 title to $59.99 titles. It's my favorite indie or indie style game of the year.

Suikoguy

It's in the bottom right corner of the room where you have to light all the mushrooms.

Yes, if you light all the mushrooms the path shows up, but you don't even need to do that but it's easier for the first time to find it.

dity

Yeah, achievements wouod be nice actually.

From a perspective of: "Which game provided the best total package". It gets more complicated. It's actually been a pretty good year.

It's also difficult to compare a $9.99 title to $59.99 titles. It's my favorite indie or indie style game of the year.
It's the best game I've played this year. For me it's done a lot of things no AAA title this year has gotten close to doing. $10? $60? Who cares, to me it did better for $50 less than the competition.

you can sell things there? That's a surprise
She desperately needed to go to colleg, because she'll sell Tem Flakes for 1G, and then buy the same one back for 3G. Sadly enough the quality of underground education is not high enough to fix that problem.

I do wonder if it's possible to send her to college with the money you exclusively farmed from her shop, or if the game'll limit you, or punish you for it.

Exactly. I had a pretty good year in terms of games, but almost all of the titles I have played and likes were evolutions or copies of established ideas. The games I'd describe as "unique" or "daring" is something is on the low side every year, so I'll embrace them when I finally come across some.

K.Sabot

Spent around 350 hours between TW3, Bloodborne, and MGSV and I think I value the 10 hours I got out of Undertale a lot more than the majority of hours in those games.

Dmax3901

Ok so I don't think I 'get' this game. I played it for like fifteen minutes. Can someone provide a tutorial for an idiot like me?

dity

Ok so I don't think I 'get' this game. I played it for like fifteen minutes. Can someone provide a tutorial for an idiot like me?
Use the "act" command in battle for virtual conflict resolution. Spare yellow monsters to make a friend. Boss monsters can be stubborn about befriending a child.

Or use the "fight" command to kill stuff.

I guess Toriel was right when she said puzzles and combat are too hard.

Basically as the Steam page said, this is an RPG where you don't have to kill anyone, so there are basically two ways to play it, by fighting, or by choosing non-violent options. For the latter, you can either use the ACT command to look at your non-violent options, or use the Mercy command to basically skip a turn. If the names of monsters are yellow, the monsters have lost their will to fight you, and you choose mercy to end the battle.

To fight, you have a timed attack bar, where you do the least amount of damage on the sides, and the most in the centre.

Sometimes during battle the projectiles get a different colour, and each colour had a different meaning. For instance I think in the tutorial area, you'll encounter an enemy that'll shoot out green projectiles, and green means that ought to touch them, rather than avoid them. I believe there are a few other colours, but they'll be more explicitly explained by the game.

Goddammit, I already broke someone's heart.

I'm sorry Toriel. You just wanted what was best for me. ;______;
Make that two hearts you've broken. Mine as well, you meanie.

Top Bottom