• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

PSqueak

Banned
Kojima. I would put this on Konami in a heartbet but Kojima seems the like to not be too fussed about this sort of thing.

It was a joke tying in to a previous tweet about his game being rated higher than MGS5 he said something like "i'll enjoy the 5 minutes in which a single shitty dog [that is, himself] topped Hideo Kojima", later that day Undertale got rated zero by the sockpuppets and he joked about it being kojima.

Dmax3901

Use the "act" command in battle for virtual conflict resolution. Spare yellow monsters to make a friend. Boss monsters can be stubborn about befriending a child.

Or use the "fight" command to kill stuff.

I guess Toriel was right when she said puzzles and combat are too hard.

Basically as the Steam page said, this is an RPG where you don't have to kill anyone, so there are basically two ways to play it, by fighting, or by choosing non-violent options. For the latter, you can either use the ACT command to look at your non-violent options, or use the Mercy command to basically skip a turn. If the names of monsters are yellow, the monsters have lost their will to fight you, and you choose mercy to end the battle.

To fight, you have a timed attack bar, where you do the least amount of damage on the sides, and the most in the centre.

Sometimes during battle the projectiles get a different colour, and each colour had a different meaning. For instance I think in the tutorial area, you'll encounter an enemy that'll shoot out green projectiles, and green means that ought to touch them, rather than avoid them. I believe there are a few other colours, but they'll be more explicitly explained by the game.

Thanks, I understood you don't have to kill everything, I was getting hung up on the specific mechanics of it however.

dity

Thanks, I understood you don't have to kill everything, I was getting hung up on the specific mechanics of it however.
Dodge enemy attacks with WASD or the analog stick. Sparing enemies results in no level gains or increased attack/defence but you can still buy stuff from stores since you will gain gold. Sleeping at an Inn will restore your health above maximum when you're very low level, and some items will up your stats during battle.

That's basically all I can think of for mechanics.

I'm pretty sure that, if you're aiming for No Kills, ACTing wll never kill a monster.
Never leave a Jerry until last to be spared. He'll run away if you do.

I really love the item shops in this game.

5YtIWCj.jpg

Ontoue

I found a small, incredibly subtle Earthbound reference.

I wonder if I'm the first to notice it...
probably not

The small design on Papyrus's outfit looks exactly like the small design on a Star Man's chest.

dity

probably not

The small design on Papyrus's outfit looks exactly like the small design on a Star Man's chest.

Toby used to make Earthbound rom hacks

Dunkley

probably not

That's intentional, Toby used to make Earthbound Hacks (Most notably, the Halloween Hack), then moved on to work with Andrew Hussie on Homestuck (which is Earthbound inspired and even has an Easter Egg where the Earthbound Crew appears in one of their interactive pages), then moved on to make his own game, Undertale.

(...which is Earthbound inspired, so you can kinda guess he throws in some references to it too)

Geg

Finished the full pacifist ending last night, boy what a great game. Now to start from the beginning and kill everyone!

One question first:
What's the deal with the locked door in the snowy mountain area? I even went back to try during the ending and there's still nothing. Is that only involved in a genocide run or did I just completely miss some secret?

Kuga

Finished the full pacifist ending last night, boy what a great game. Now to start from the beginning and kill everyone!

One question first:
What's the deal with the locked door in the snowy mountain area? I even went back to try during the ending and there's still nothing. Is that only involved in a genocide run or did I just completely miss some secret?

Glad you enjoyed the game too!

Answer:
The locked door can only be opened by avoiding all of the special thanks credits - inside is a small easter egg room. Nothing in there is important to the story.

dity

So, I'm up to the
Sans
fight on the genocide run and...

I'm having a bad time

13 retries.

Still having a bad time

Hyoukokun

One question first:
As Kuga said, it's
a relatively minor easter egg room if you can get it open
. Plot-wise, however
it's an entrance to the ruins through which Sans would talk to Toriel. And by talk, I mean 'tell bad knock-knock jokes'.

Super sad spoiler: if you kill only Toriel in a neutral run, Sans tells you in his phonecall that the voice behind the door hasn't been there lately...

Kuga

As Kuga said, it's
a relatively minor easter egg room if you can get it open
. Plot-wise, however
it's an entrance to the ruins through which Sans would talk to Toriel. And by talk, I mean 'tell bad knock-knock jokes'.

Super sad spoiler: if you kill only Toriel in a neutral run, Sans tells you in his phonecall that the voice behind the door hasn't been there lately...

Plot stuff:
I was under the impression that the ruins door Sans talked to Toriel through was the door Frisk exits the ruins from - especially since the player encounters Sans only a couple screens away from that spot. Maybe it is the other door, though? I never really considered an alternate ruins exit.

So, I'm up to the
Sans

I'm having a bad time

13 retries.

Still having a bad time

Geeettttttt dunked on!

Sorry!

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
So, I'm up to the
Sans

I'm having a bad time

13 retries.

Still having a bad time

With enough determination and Legendary Heroes, you can make it!
The strategy I use is
when you get him to the halfway point where he offers you to spare him, use your healing items to max your health again. With enough tries, you'll work out his patterns. Then the only real challenge is knowing what to expect out of his 2nd-to-last attack.

dity

Geeettttttt dunked on!

Sorry!

The music fills you with determination.

Well on days like this... kids like you should be
B U R N I N G I N H E L L.

Here we go

With enough determination and Legendary Heroes, you can make it!
The strategy I use is
when you get him to the halfway point where he offers you to spare him, use your healing items to max your health again. With enough tries, you'll work out his patterns. Then the only real challenge is knowing what to expect out of his 2nd-to-last attack.

I can get up to
just after fakes trying to spare me
but then the pattern completely changes and then
all the dragon heads are flying around shooting and I die

Hyoukokun

Plot stuff:
I was under the impression that the ruins door Sans talked to Toriel through was the door Frisk exits the ruins from - especially since the player encounters Sans only a couple screens away from that spot. Maybe it is the other door, though? I never really considered an alternate ruins exit.

You also see
Sans hanging around the entrance to the second door, at least the very first time you head through that area. He does his mildly creepy warp-to-the-other-side-of-the-screen trick there.

Could go either way. The first door does make sense from the perspective of Toriel being there to tell him about you; admittedly she didn't have much time to go visit some other secret ruins exit after meeting you. But I always associated the second door strongly with Sans due to encountering him there.

GooeyHeat

I'm pretty sure that, if you're aiming for No Kills, ACTing wll never kill a monster.
Does choosing "Devour" on a Vegetoid count as a kill? I've never tried it, but it seems like an ACT command that could kill something, just logically. (no spoiler tags because it's a very early enemy)

EDIT: also a friend of mine made this based on some battle text that I found hilarious for some reason

JaWSRgc.png

dreams

Dodge enemy attacks with WASD or the analog stick. Sparing enemies results in no level gains or increased attack/defence but you can still buy stuff from stores since you will gain gold. Sleeping at an Inn will restore your health above maximum when you're very low level, and some items will up your stats during battle.

That's basically all I can think of for mechanics.

Never leave a Jerry until last to be spared. He'll run away if you do.

Huh, I always left Jerry until last (since he doesn't attack you), and he never ran away.

Not sure if that's a spoiler or not so I'm just being safe idk.

dity

Huh, I always left Jerry until last (since he doesn't attack you), and he never ran away.

Not sure if that's a spoiler or not so I'm just being safe idk.

Jerry's a fairly early enemy.

He always ran away from me if I left him till last. If he gets a turn to attack he'd think everyone ditched him and then leave. Polar opposite to the "ditch" ACT command.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Jerry's a fairly early enemy.

He always ran away from me if I left him till last. If he gets a turn to attack he'd think everyone ditched him and then leave. Polar opposite to the "ditch" ACT command.

I've never had him run from me on either ends of my runs.

PSqueak

Banned
More fanart! When i made this pic i was surprised to realize nobody had made this joke reference before.

Spoilers? not sure since it's only a spoiler if you already know the context.

dity

I've never had him run from me on either ends of my runs.

He always ran on me until I started sparing him first instead of last. Although he didn't run on my genocide run because I
made him have a bad time

More fanart! When i made this pic i was surprised to realize nobody had made this joke reference before.

This is too cute. I couldn't lie to her. I had to tell her
that it's real

dity

I've spent a total of an hour trying to kill Sans now. I'm taking less and less damage each time.

Silvawuff

Loving the game so far. I don't suppose there's a way to adjust the controls? I looked for an option to do so but couldn't find one.

PSqueak

Banned
Loving the game so far. I don't suppose there's a way to adjust the controls? I looked for an option to do so but couldn't find one.

What version are you playing? i think someone mentioned the mac version doesnt, but the PC version (which i played) does, it even has pad support, funnily enough, Undertale basically maps your game pads to the keyboard keys, i have been thinking of running undertale while i play shovel knight to be able to use my street fighter pad.

Oh gods, I just replayed the Undyne fight last night...that explains why
Undyne was doing so many typical "anime moves". Does Undyne also genuinely think that anime is a representation of a bout between two warriors?

Puruzi

Banned
Undyne was doing so many typical "anime moves". Does Undyne also genuinely think that anime is a representation of a bout between two warriors?

Undyne thinks that anime is the human world

Silvawuff

What version are you playing? i think someone mentioned the mac version doesnt, but the PC version (which i played) does, it even has pad support, funnily enough, Undertale basically maps your game pads to the keyboard keys, i have been thinking of running undertale while i play shovel knight to be able to use my street fighter pad.

The Windows version I bought off the Undertale site. I can boot up the game, load it. The in game menu shows nada.

PSqueak

Banned

Alphys told her all her Anime and Manga are "historical documents" about the human world, this is also why she mentions during the fight that Alphys told her all about the humans and their cool robots, but she still would kill you

The Windows version I bought off the Undertale site. I can boot up the game, load it. The in game menu shows nada.

That's strange, i got the Steam version from a friend and it gives me the option to adjust the controls in the title screen, but it would be weird that only the Steam version did that.

Dunkley

Only if you play with a controller. If you do have a 360 controller or a generic pad connected, it'll show you a controller settings menu whenever you start the game.

Sadly there's no way of adjusting the controls on keyboard however.

Silvawuff

That's strange, i got the Steam version from a friend and it gives me the option to adjust the controls in the title screen, but it would be weird that only the Steam version did that.

Yeah, I have the Steam version too so that's no biggie. This is what it looks like on the title screen of the Windows version. Hitting Z or Enter takes you straight to Toriel in the chair and your save file. It says it's v1.00. Interesting tidbit for those of you who want to play the Steamless version.

5uFlMof.png

Edit: Just say Dunkley's post. Thanks for the info! That's sort of a pain, using the keyboard default is definitely a hand-crampy affair.

Dunkley

Yeah, I have the Steam version too so that's no biggie. This is what it looks like on the title screen of the Windows version. Hitting Z or Enter takes you straight to Toriel in the chair and your save file. It says it's v1.00. Interesting tidbit for those of you who want to play the Steamless version.

Edit: Just say Dunkley's post. Thanks for the info! That's sort of a pain, using the keyboard default is definitely a hand-crampy affair.

I figured you might just mean the regular keyboard controls, and yeah they're not that good, especially if you have a QWERTZ keyboard.

By the way it says v1.00 on the Steam version too:

ELJrZ8Z.png

Top Bottom