• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Conan-san

So just checked, wow does the No Mercy verison of Undyne's fight just come off as tragic.

Can you Mercy that off at any point after she hits 0hp?

Dunkley

To be clear I'm not talking about the Genocide Version of the fight.

Oh, to be clear on the naming scheme, No Mercy is basically what Genocide Run was generally renamed to by most people because they didn't like the term "Genocide" for various reasons.

But yeah I don't think you can spare her at that point if you kill her during a neutral playthrough.

dity

Still

I.
Was.
Floored.

The Heroine appears

The feeling was probably akin to what Frieza felt when faced with Super Saiyan Goku or something. Like just sitting there going "well I guess I really AM the bad guy

PSqueak

Banned
Hey, quick question about some of the neutral ending variations i was having with some other people, spoilers ofcourse.

So some people seem to be under the impression that if you kill Mettaton or Undyne, then Alphys commits suicide, where did this idea come from? I mean some of these endings do mention that Alphys "disappears" but doesn't that just mean she went to the true lab to live with the Amalgamates as she says in the note before you enter the true lab? or did i miss any clue about her being suicidal?

Hey, quick question about some of the neutral ending variations i was having with some other people, spoilers ofcourse.

I've never heard this before but
the whole True Lab subplot implies that she's really depressed, so her being suicidal wouldn't be a far stretch.

PSqueak

Banned
I've never heard this before but
the whole True Lab subplot implies that she's really depressed, so her being suicidal wouldn't be a far stretch.

That is true, but
I think that she also implied that it was her duty to take care of the amalgamates? so that's why i didn't feel she was looking to kill herself, just care for the amalgamates due to her involvement in their creation

dity

Without Mettaton or Undyne, her two best friends basically, she probably lost all reason to leave the True Lab

Dunkley

That is true, but
I think that she also implied that it was her duty to take care of the amalgamates? so that's why i didn't feel she was looking to kill herself, just care for the amalgamates due to her involvement in their creation

Here's what I managed to dig up on it:

"On my last run, I killed a couple common enemies, Doggo, and Undyne, and that's it... and it's heavily implied both during the call from Sans/Mettaton and when you try to revisit her lab right before you fight Asgore that she actually committed suicide. I had to turn my computer off and stop playing for a little while."

It's a YouTube comment though, so take it as you want. Considering they do describe the conditions though, I guess it's worth trying to do a run like them and taking a look at it yourself.

edit:

I guess the theory spawned from this:

* As I said, I was afraid I might...
* Not come back...
* But that's not because of these guys or anything!
* I was just worried I would be too afraid...
* To tell the truth...
* That I might run away, or do something...
* Cowardly.

...and probably was expanded by
Sans saying stuff about her disappearing
. It really is up to your interpretation however.

Puruzi

Banned

So some people seem to be under the impression that if you kill Mettaton or Undyne, then Alphys commits suicide, where did this idea come from? I mean some of these endings do mention that Alphys "disappears" but doesn't that just mean she went to the true lab to live with the Amalgamates as she says in the note before you enter the true lab? or did i miss any clue about her being suicidal?

If you kill Mettaton and asgore after you befriend Undyne, Papyrus says that she hates you now because Alphys is gone forever and because Asgore is gone forever too.

Makes me think that she probably
does commit suicide because of the loss of Mettaton.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
If you kill Mettaton and asgore after you befriend Undyne, Papyrus says that she hates you now because Alphys is gone forever and because Asgore is gone forever too.

Are you talking about this ending?

Geg

Question with genocide and neutral run spoilers:
I already know there's a fight with Sans in a genocide run, but what about in neutral? Does he just kind of get angry at you or does he ever fight you depending on how many bosses and monsters you kill?

PSqueak

Banned

This kinda is the part that doesn't make sense to me
Why would it be Mettaton specifically the trigger for the suicide? I kinda would understand it if it was Undyne, but i dunno, maybe to a personal level i don't want to think of her dying, but well, the game does show you her plans for never being seen again and they didn't involve death.

Puruzi

Banned
Why would it be Mettaton specifically the trigger for the suicide? I kinda would understand it if it was Undyne, but i dunno, maybe to a personal level i don't want to think of her dying, but well, the game does show you her plans for never being seen again and they didn't involve death.

How do you know that
she wasn't going to commit suicide in the lab though.

I don't want her to have commit suicide either, just throwing out ideas

I found a small, incredibly subtle Earthbound reference.

I wonder if I'm the first to notice it...
probably not

The small design on Papyrus's outfit looks exactly like the small design on a Star Man's chest.

There are multiple EB/Mother references and quite a lot of parallels between the three games.

If you've done the True Ending, you should have noticed that one of
Asriel
's attacks sounds exactly like PK Starstorm, for example.

Dunkley

Question with genocide and neutral run spoilers:
I already know there's a fight with Sans in a genocide run, but what about in neutral? Does he just kind of get angry at you or does he ever fight you depending on how many bosses and monsters you kill?

The closest thing I know is his dialogue if you abort
a genocide run really late, which goes like this:

truthfully, it doesn't really matter what you said. all that's important is that you were honest with yourself. what happens now... we leave up to you. though... one thing about you always struck me as kinda odd.

now, i understand acting in self-defense. you were thrown into those situations against your will. but... sometimes... you act like you know what's gonna happen. like you've already experienced it all before. this is an odd thing to say, but if you have some sort of special power... isn't it your responsibility to do the right thing?

you can then answer with Yes or No. Saying "No" to him will make him reply with

heh, well, that's your viewpoint. i won't judge you for it...
You dirty brother killer.

...while saying "Yes" will simply prompt:

Then why did you kill my brother?

I think you simply aren't prompted for a Yes or No if you haven't
killed Papyrus
. That's my guess however.

Either way he won't fight you.

Leezard

If you buy the key from Bratty and Catty and check
the house beside Napstablook's house, you learn that Mettaton is actually Napstablook's cousin, a ghost that dreamed of being a star and was inserted into Mettaton to act as personality, pretty much. This was a dear friend to Alphys.

PSqueak

Banned
How do you know that
she wasn't going to commit suicide in the lab though.

I don't want her to have commit suicide either, just throwing out ideas

The implication that she had to take care of the amalgamates, i guess

If you buy the key from Bratty and Catty and check
the house beside Napstablook's house, you learn that Mettaton is actually Napstablook's cousin, a ghost that dreamed of being a star and was inserted into Mettaton to act as personality, pretty much. This was a dear friend to Alphys.

Oh yeah, that makes sense.

PSqueak

Banned
You know it never occurred to me how (endgame spoilers)
Asriel's desire to reunite with Chara has a tragic poignance once you consider everything you learn about them in the genocide run.

Game is fucked up in more ways than one.

He admits Chara was a bad person if you talk to him in the flower bed after his fight and says that everything he did was because he was projecting Chara into Frisk because Frisk was eveything he wanted Chara to be, so in a way he really wanted Frisk.

NotLiquid

He admits Chara was a bad person if you talk to him in the flower bed after his fight and says that everything he did was because he was projecting Chara into Frisk because Frisk was eveything he wanted Chara to be, so in a way he really wanted Frisk.

Huh, nice touch. Never noticed you could actually do that.

On my second playthrough, pacifist run:

are there any necessary conversations I need to have in order to get the true ending? I want to just kind of blow through and do all the fights I have to do rather than wasting time. I love the game, but I'd rather not have to talk to every NPC just to make sure I don't miss anything and get all that dialogue again. It's all great dialogue, I'm just not interested in hearing it again less than two days after beating the game once.

NotLiquid

On my second playthrough, pacifist run:

are there any necessary conversations I need to have in order to get the true ending? I want to just kind of blow through and do all the fights I have to do rather than wasting time. I love the game, but I'd rather not have to talk to every NPC just to make sure I don't miss anything and get all that dialogue again. It's all great dialogue, I'm just not interested in hearing it again less than two days after beating the game once.

The only prerequisites to get a true pacifist ending are
befriending Papyrus, Undyne and Alphys. That is, aside from not killing anyone of course. You're going to have to get the neutral ending first to do the latter though.

The only prerequisites to get a true pacifist ending are
befriending Papyrus, Undyne and Alphys.
That is, aside from not killing anyone of course. You're going to have to get the neutral ending first to do the latter though.

Right, I've gotten the neutral ending and scary flower dude told me to not kill anyone this time (the ONLY person I killed in my first run was toriel because I thought I had to...) Are there any optional conversations that are crucial to befriending them? I already befriended papyrus (i went on a date with him this time instead of hanging out...yikes) I'm not sure how to befriend undyne since she wanted to kill me the first time but I'm sure I'll figure it out, and I think I befriended alphys my first time through as well.

So I should be okay!

Puruzi

Banned
Right, I've gotten the neutral ending and scary flower dude told me to not kill anyone this time (the ONLY person I killed in my first run was toriel because I thought I had to...) Are there any optional conversations that are crucial to befriending them? I already befriended papyrus (i went on a date with him this time instead of hanging out...yikes) I'm not sure how to befriend undyne since she wanted to kill me the first time but I'm sure I'll figure it out, and I think I befriended alphys my first time through as well.

So I should be okay!

you can't
befriend alphys unless you're on the true pacifist run, so you didn't befriend her first time.

NotLiquid

So I should be okay!

You have to go back to Undyne's house (near the Waterfall) after saving her and hang out with her. Also, you can't befriend Alphys until after you've first gotten a pacifist neutral ending and befriended Papyrus and Undyne.

Also might want to put my fake edit spoiler tag in that post since I wasn't sure whether people would consider that latter part a spoiler or not :p

you can't
befriend alphys unless you're on the true pacifist run, so you didn't befriend her first time.

You have to go back to Undyne's house (near the Waterfall) after saving her and hang out with her. Also, you can't befriend Alphys until after you've first gotten a pacifist neutral ending and befriended Papyrus and Undyne.

Also might want to put my fake edit spoiler tag in that post since I wasn't sure whether people would consider that latter part a spoiler or not :p

Oh, oh, okay. I figured that since things were cool the first time that I had done it. Guess not.

Also re undyne:
does changing your clothes ever actually do anything?

JC Sera

if you go neutral run and kill all the bosses sans answers the phone
if you go genocide run but abort at the last possible moment, I've heard you get this dialogue

Also SBF play Undertale:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_ePjBHCsCo

That's probably going to be a very unpopular opinion. I find it infinitely better than most RPG combat.

Yeah, I got to enjoy an Earthbound-esque RPG atmosphere without Earthbound's awfully repetitive combat. Frustrating at times, but infinitely better than just repeatedly selecting things from menus.

In light of the Super Best Friends starting an LP of this game I decided to say fuck it and buy my first PC game in years. Hopefully my anti-gaming PC can handle it because I really want to know what the hype is all about. Thank god for steam refunds though just in case.

Pray for me.

JC Sera

In light of the Super Best Friends starting an LP of this game I decided to say fuck it and buy my first PC game in years. Hopefully my anti-gaming PC can handle it because I really want to know what the hype is all about. Thank god for steam refunds though just in case.

Pray for me.
you move via the arrow keys
press z/x to interact/cancel
c opens the menu
I think you will be fine

goblin

Probably. I like the idea behind it. It just doesn't click for me. I'll buy the game anyway to support the dev but meh on that.

For what it's worth the random battles get more complex as you go, and boss battles shake up the formula and play a bit differently than random encounters. I also found regular bullet-dodging movement to be better with a controller (wired 360), if you haven't tried that.

But if you just straight up hate the battles, well, it might not be the game for you. I really enjoyed the battles in Undertale, but I also think there's a lot to love beyond the fighting and it's not a super long game so maybe you'll find something that drives you to power through? Otherwise good on you for giving the game a fair shake and supporting the developer!

Top Bottom