• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

dity

To be honest, your concern with whether people are really acting solely on behalf of their moral compass or as part of some post-end rationalization seems more like being "morally righteous" to me.

So me wondering if people are being genuine makes me morally righteous? Now that doesn't make sense to me. If people are going to imply that you a) don't care about the characters or B) are a bad person for not playing a specific way then yeah, I sorta am going to wonder if they're genuine.

Also like... Are you taking what I said as some personal attack? Cos I'm sorry if you did. I didn't mean it that way.

....I drew an art.....

This is a good art. I like it.

Moonlight

Banned
But you just threw down a divide. "If the game's message resonated with you." It's putting up a major assumption about people who don't play the game like you do. Like, are those people lesser people if they don't finish the game there?
And I think that's... a lot to gather from a single sentence. Obviously, I don't think anyone is 'lesser' (or myself better) for not playing a game like I play a game. If it ever came across that way, I apologize. I never intended to address people's characters specifically ("you're a worse person for playing No Mercy blah"), but I don't intend to apologize for suggesting a 'complete' run of Undertale is not the way the game is intended to be experienced. The game pulls out nearly every stop it can not to prevent you from accessing content, but make you feel like you don't need to.

As for me wondering if people only play pacifist because that's how they were told how to play, well it's because the game's Steam page is very pacifist-run biased. It makes a very clear point of you not needing to kill enemies to complete the game. So naturally some people probably will just not kill enemies "because it said you didn't have to" (or something like that). It's been discussed before.
I don't see what's wrong with that, really. Having it indicated to you that you don't need to kill anyone. And if the game does its' job right - and it does, for the most part - you shouldn't want to. I don't see the point in bringing it up as if to challenge the legitimacy of people going for 'pacifist runs'. If the game tells you upfront 'this is how you should play it', I don't see what's to nail anyone for.
Even if you argue the frog imploring you for 'mercy' isn't really that strong a prompt, and I'd agree, the 'fights' with Toriel and Napstablook are hardly immediately rewarding either from a mechanical or story-related standpoint. I would know, since my first run of the game involved fighting both of them.

Anyway, I've run 99% of genocide and intend to complete it. Why? I chose to do so because I wanted to find out more about the characters. Lots more. And I have.
You discover Flowey's past, his motivation, his friendship. You see Undyne actually play the role of heroine, rather than just a hunter. You find out just how much Papyrus loves puzzles. Sans is fleshed out, he cares so much so much and will stop at nothing to protect everyone.
Sure. I think that knowing more isn't something I'm terribly interested in (although again,
I did search up the Sans fight of my own volition so my hands aren't 100% clean?
), and I don't feel like saying the game agrees with me is much of a stretch. I made my own decision about the game a little after I finished it.

As for everything else:

Okay, sure, even if we accept that Asriel/Flowey were not being sincere, since he has by that point fully reverted, I don't think it invalidates my broader point of the game asking you to 'move on' from it. Undertale, when all's said and done, is a game you need to close out of to finish when any other game would send you back to the menu for a new game plus or something. Your determination to play the game roots all of the characters into a specific window of time, and therefore Sans fights not to beat the player, strictly, but to beat that determination out of them. I wasn't necessarily trying to say 'Flowey told me not to reset, so I didn't, just that the game in general sees itself as a continuous world that only you can disrupt and reset.

Hopefully, that makes sense. I'm a bit tired, so I'm a little loopy right now.

1upsuper

So me wondering if people are being genuine makes me morally righteous? Now that doesn't make sense to me. If people are going to imply that you a) don't care about the characters or B) are a bad person for not playing a specific way then yeah, I sorta am going to wonder if they're genuine.

Also like... Are you taking what I said as some personal attack? Cos I'm sorry if you did. I didn't mean it that way.

Nah, I'm not taking it personally. And I hope the same to you as well. The way I see what you're saying though is that you are concerned with player motive, yeah? And if it matches what they say. And I just don't see why it's important to dig into that. Certainly some people
will stop playing because they care and some because they want to do what someone told them to, but I don't think it's necessarily a good thing to wonder if they stop...for the right reason, for lack of a better term. That's where I felt like some moral righteousness was coming into play, perhaps. The concern over motive that approaches doubt in people who say they did x because y. It just seems like a cynical outlook that's just not necessary. So long as one person gets the message and chooses to stop playing because they care, I think that's great.
I dunno if this makes sense, but I'm just trying to say that it's not worth worrying. It sucks if people lie about their motive, but that's just the way it goes with anything.

dity

And I think that's... a lot to gather from a single sentence. Obviously, I don't think anyone is 'lesser' (or myself better) for not playing a game like I play a game. If it ever came across that way, I apologize. I never intended to address people's characters specifically ("you're a worse person for playing No Mercy blah"), but I don't intend to apologize for suggesting a 'complete' run of Undertale is not the way the game is intended to be experienced. The game pulls out nearly every stop it can not to prevent you from accessing content, but make you feel like you don't need to.

Well, what's the implication of the message not resonating with you and why is not playing the game a certain way somehow proof that it didn't?

I don't see what's wrong with that, really. Having it indicated to you that you don't need to kill anyone. And if the game does its' job right - and it does, for the most part - you shouldn't want to. I don't see the point in bringing it up as if to challenge the legitimacy of people going for 'pacifist runs'. If the game tells you upfront 'this is how you should play it', I don't see what's to nail anyone for.
Even if you argue the frog imploring you for 'mercy' isn't really that strong a prompt, and I'd agree, the 'fights' with Toriel and Napstablook are hardly immediately rewarding either from a mechanical or story-related standpoint. I would know, since my first run of the game involved fighting both of them.

You're making it out like there's illusion of choice, when there's actually choice. You can go against what is suggested, and the game properly changes to accommodate that. It responds. Toby made it respond to the opposite play style as to what's suggested. This isn't like doing a speed run. It's pretty intentional. You could even be the kind of player that grinds for EXP and unintentionally wind up in genocide on your first play-through.

Sure. I think that knowing more isn't something I'm terribly interested in (although again,
I did search up the Sans fight of my own volition so my hands aren't 100% clean?
), and I don't feel like saying the game agrees with me is much of a stretch. I made my own decision about the game a little after I finished it.

As for everything else:

Okay, sure, even if we accept that Asriel/Flowey were not being sincere, since he has by that point fully reverted, I don't think it invalidates my broader point of the game asking you to 'move on' from it. Undertale, when all's said and done, is a game you need to close out of to finish when any other game would send you back to the menu for a new game plus or something. Your determination to play the game roots all of the characters into a specific window of time, and therefore Sans fights not to beat the player, strictly, but to beat that determination out of them. I wasn't necessarily trying to say 'Flowey told me not to reset, so I didn't, just that the game in general sees itself as a continuous world that only you can disrupt and reset.

Hopefully, that makes sense. I'm a bit tired, so I'm a little loopy right now.

Undertale needing to be closed reminded me of older style games that needed to be reset manually due to technical limitations. I took it as such and just went back after holding ESC

Nah, I'm not taking it personally. And I hope the same to you as well. The way I see what you're saying though is that you are concerned with player motive, yeah? And if it matches what they say. And I just don't see why it's important to dig into that. Certainly some people
will stop playing for either reason, but I don't think it's necessarily a good thing to wonder if they stop...for the right reasons, for lack of a better term. It just seems like a cynical outlook that's just not necessary. So long as one person gets the message and chooses to stop playing because they care, I think that's great.
I dunno if this makes sense, but I'm just trying to say that it's not worth worrying. It sucks if people lie about their motive, but that's just the way it goes with anything.

I don't actually care about player motive while they play the game. As in their individual decisions. I care about how genuine people criticising others for not playing as they did are. Because the last thing we need is Undertale's pacifist route being an easy route to talk down to others for being "less morally sound" or something. Y'know, being an asshole because you didn't do the asshole thing. Is that an oxymoron?

Honestly I'd wanna know what Toby's opinion is, but I bet I wouldn't be able to get it out of him lmao.

Also I don't much like having to do all these multi quote things blargh

1upsuper

Lots o' post

I hear you. I guess what rubbed me the wrong way was when you said "TBH I wonder if people stop at the true pacificist run because they care, or because that was how they were told how to play the game" because I thought you were doubting every person who says they stopped because they cared (ie me from a few posts before lol).

Moonlight

Banned
Well, what's the implication of the message not resonating with you and why is not playing the game a certain way somehow proof that it didn't?
Sorry, the way I said that can be taken badly, and that's my fault. But I was never trying to put anyone down or suggest a moral grounding for stopping at True Pacifist. The game requests you leave it alone, indirectly or otherwise, and I obliged because that's what I felt I should do. You're not a bad person or 'didn't get it' or whatever for exploring further, but that's your own choice to make at the end of the game, and it's not one I'll agree with.

You're making it out like there's illusion of choice, when there's actually choice. You can go against what is suggested, and the game properly changes to accommodate that. It responses. Toby made it respond to the opposite play style as to what's suggested. This isn't like doing a speed run.
My response is just because the game accommodates your agency, it doesn't mean it agrees with you for doing it. Yes, the game has a whole section of the game - and plenty of alternate dialogue - built around the player resetting and examining everything and doing everything and testing every possible permutation of something, but I don't think that means the game is giving you permission (a better word might be 'endorsement'?) to see that. That content has to exist if it wants to illustrate its' point. The variations and the divergences needed to be there if the game wanted to say what it wanted to say as effectively as it did. If you were the kind of player to grind out XP in the first area and not consider the game differently than any other RPG, well, the game's still got something about that to say to you.

It's actually neat that you bring up 'choice' because the game handles it more deftly than any game I can remember as of late. It doesn't engage 'agency' in more heavyhanded ways like an RPG rife with 'choices' would, but it looks at agency and player choice from how they choose to engage with the game at all. And why we're having this conversation at all I guess?

Undertale needing to be closed reminded me of older style games that needed to be reset manually due to technical limitations. I took it as such and just went back after holding ESC
I guess it's just a difference in perception, but even plenty of older games kicked you back to the main menu when you finished. I thought it added further to the finality of the ending.

dity

Well, I think that's all cleared up, well except for one thing.

My response is just because the game accommodates your agency, it doesn't mean it agrees with you for doing it. Yes, the game has a whole section of the game - and plenty of alternate dialogue - built around the player resetting and examining everything and doing everything and testing every possible permutation of something, but I don't think that means the game is giving you permission (a better word might be 'endorsement'?) to see that. That content has to exist if it wants to illustrate its' point. The variations and the divergences needed to be there if the game wanted to say what it wanted to say as effectively as it did. If you were the kind of player to grind out XP in the first area and not consider the game differently than any other RPG, well, the game's still got something about that to say to you.

Something very relevant to the bolded is brought up my Flowey near the end of genocide. You see, despite all this choice, all this ability to explore everything and every possible outcome, there's one thing you can't do still. You cannot properly die. You are taken to your last save point. That's what drove Flowey, his inability to die due to latent determination of any form stops him from dying. Even if you stop playing the game, you're basically stuck. You go back underground if you continue your save. That could only mean you must have (almost) died. There is no way to exit the underground. Stuck in the underground, he tries everything to quell boredom. He's stuck in a loop forever. You are too. Even if you uninstall the game, you'll be right back there in the underground next time you play.

Moonlight

Banned
Well, I think that's all cleared up, well except for one thing.

Something very relevant to the bolded is brought up my Flowey near the end of genocide. You see, despite all this choice, all this ability to explore everything and every possible outcome, there's one thing you can't do still. You cannot properly die. You are taken to your last save point. That's what drove Flowey, his inability to die due to latent determination of any form stops him from dying. Even if you stop playing the game, you're basically stuck. You go back underground if you continue your save. That could only mean you must have (almost) died. There is no way to exit the underground. Stuck in the underground, he tries everything to quell boredom. He's stuck in a loop forever. You are too. Even if you uninstall the game, you'll be right back there in the underground next time you play.
I think that's a bit cynical, and where we're allowed to draw our own conclusions. But if you'll consider my viewpoint: I think resetting is entirely your own choice. You're not obligated to restart the game, despite having the choice. It always leaves the final decision - to come back - in your hands. It's not like those other human souls kept constantly returning (simply persisting as they are wont to do). If Flowey has the same powers as you (and he seems to), he ultimately has the same choice, but chooses not to exercise it. You say that it always goes back to the underground, but ultimately, you make the choice to return.

The end of the game shows you (and all the others) on the outside, in a house (with Toriel! Or, uh, I dunno what happens if you have 'places to be') sleeping, and maybe you warp back to the underground, I dunno, but I think it's equally valid to suggest that you don't. It's up to you, and your choice is made by playing the game again.

dity

I think that's a bit cynical, and where we're allowed to draw our own conclusions. But if you'll consider my viewpoint: I think resetting is entirely your own choice. You're not obligated to restart the game, despite having the choice. It always leaves the final decision - to come back - in your hands. It's not like those other human souls kept constantly returning (simply persisting as they are wont to do). If Flowey has the same powers as you (and he seems to), he ultimately has the same choice, but chooses not to exercise it. You say that it always goes back to the underground, but ultimately, you make the choice to return.

The end of the game shows you (and all the others) on the outside, in a house (with Toriel! Or, uh, I dunno what happens if you have 'places to be') sleeping, and maybe you warp back to the underground, I dunno, but I think it's equally valid to suggest that you don't. It's up to you, and your choice is made by playing the game again.

Flowey says "I was friends with everyone. I did all the right things. Helped everyone out. We got out of the underground and I thought I must have been happy. But then I got curious, and wanted to go again."

Will you never play Undertale ever again in your entire life?

Moonlight

Banned
Flowey says "I was friends with everyone. I did all the right things. Helped everyone out. We got out of the underground and I thought I must have been happy. But then I got curious, and wanted to go again."

Well, maybe. Maybe not. Certainly not in the foreseeable future, and I'm not sure how necessary it is to consider how I'll feel about this a few years from now.

dity

Well, maybe. Maybe not. Certainly not in the foreseeable future, and I'm not sure how necessary it is to consider how I'll feel about this a few years from now.

The fact that the answer was even a "maybe" is basically Flowey's character in a nutshell. He had it good, but it was still the maybe.

That's kind of the strength behind the character and the player options.
Due to its cyclical nature, the game technically never ends... until you want it to. Either you draw a line in the sand and let go, or you want to experiment with what's possible. When Flowey's determination was in charge, he chose to explore all the possible options, and got numbed to their implications. Since he could go back and undo it all, his actions carried little weight the more he did it. I think that tie to the fallen child with your name is very fitting, since you have the same ability as the player.

The big difference between you and Flowey was that Flowey canonically would end up in the underground again at the end of his life when his determination was running things. I like to think that your determination trumping his apparently has put an end to that. That the player's choice to not reset any more also frees Flowey of his curse to come back infinitely.

Also I just realised that Bratty and Catty are an "alley"-gator and an alley-cat. Awful pun.

dity

But when the player isn't present, your determination doesn't trump his. I wonder how long he'd really be free.

Also I just realised that Bratty and Catty are an "alley"-gator and an alley-cat. Awful pun.

OMG

I didn't make the connection cos I just thought she was a croc.

JC Sera

FUCK
my other favourite one is
sans serif (seraph)

also I think this thread needs this:
CQSsfTGUsAAK43V.png:large

NotLiquid

I didn't choose to commit to a pacifist run because the game marketed itself that way. I chose to commit to it after
I accidentally killed Toriel, thinking that it was the only way through, and the game reprimanded me for thinking I was able to look passed it.

The game is just that resonant with it's storytelling and writing that moral righteousness had nothing to do with me having a conscious regret. It's a true "my god, what have I done" moment. Maybe that's not something that other people will necessarily feel considering this is just a video game we're talking about, but I know I felt it, and the game tailors an entire message directed towards those who didn't.

Like I've said plenty of times, there's no correct way to approach the game after a certain point. You just have to realize that every choice you make will reflect onto your mentality as a player. Every little thing will come back to you in one way or another.

The only constant the game has to encourage you with is to "stay determined". That's the only real take away for the player that is true no matter what path you go.

dity

I didn't choose to commit to a pacifist run because the game marketed itself that way. I chose to commit to it after
I accidentally killed Toriel, thinking that it was the only way through, and the game reprimanded me for thinking I was able to look passed it.

At that point in the game
I thought you needed to whittle some enemies down before they'd lose the will to fight. Little did I know that at a point in that battle you could accidentally OHKO her. I acidentally did so and went "hm, can you really only spare regular enemies", loaded my save again and managed to spare her. Flowey knew though. The fact that Flowey knew I reloaded is basically what sold me on the game as a whole. My mind went "well, this is going to be interesting".

also I think this thread needs this:
CQSsfTGUsAAK43V.png:large
Needs to be the thread title.

Conan-san

Three Words, "The True Arena". That'll do it for me.

Just finished the game. Overall, one of 'da best. Heck, I'd even argue that in some ways it surpasses EarthBound (my favourite game ever).

Can we go back in time
and just
make this a genre thats always existed
I feel like the game industry would suffer a lot less

Yes, yes we can

Capra

dont give me false hope

I mean, it actually seems there are a few games that would fit within Undertale's genre already:

- The Mother series (quirky RPG where you never kill, things just "go back to normal")
- Moon RPG Remix Adventure (never played it, but GhaleonQ did a write-up years ago and a lot about the premise reminds me of Undertale)
- Actually most Love-de-lic games like Lack of Love, or Skip Ltd. games like Chibi Robo.
- Little King's Story, maybe? I mean you kill things, but
the game calls you out on it and makes you feel like a piece of shit by the end

dity

I think a game coming out sometime in the future called Omori, is going to kinda be like this game. At least the aesthetics makes it feel so anyway.

DNAbro

I think a game coming out sometime in the future called Omori, is going to kinda be like this game. At least the aesthetics makes it feel so anyway.

I keep forgetting about that game but every time i see it, I get incredibly excited for it.

dity

I keep forgetting about that game but every time i see it, I get incredibly excited for it.
They recently ported it to the latest version of RPG Maker too. The next KS update will be detailling what's been changed.

So glad I backed it.

The Finest Brew

Neo Member
I mean, it actually seems there are a few games that would fit within Undertale's genre already:

- The Mother series (quirky RPG where you never kill, things just "go back to normal")
- Moon RPG Remix Adventure (never played it, but GhaleonQ did a write-up years ago and a lot about the premise reminds me of Undertale)
- Actually most Love-de-lic games like Lack of Love, or Skip Ltd. games like Chibi Robo.
- Little King's Story, maybe? I mean you kill things, but
the game calls you out on it and makes you feel like a piece of shit by the end

LISA: The Painful would also fall in line with these, I'd say.
Yeah, you actually kill stuff, but the humor is very much a far more R-Rated Earthbound.

Not sure if asked - what is controller support like?

Steam page says "Partial"...
There is a moment where the game basically asks for you to type something with a keyboard. It's completely optional, and not typing anything is a valid, and well-received answer by the game. As far as I know it is fully playable with a controller otherwise.

Koozek

Loved the demo two years ago. I think I'll grab it on Steam tonight.

I'm a sucker for Earthbound-inspired games. Will also get Lisa someday.
Such a cool idea for the battle-system. The only way I still enjoy turn-based ones nowadays is if they have a unique, twitch-based twist like that (see Shadow Hearts, Paper Mario, Baten Kaitos etc.).

dity

There is a moment where the game basically asks for you to type something with a keyboard. It's completely optional, and not typing anything is a valid, and well-received answer by the game. As far as I know it is fully playable with a controller otherwise.
Just gotta fullscreen with F4 and exit the game by holding ESC. That's all you really need a keyboard for.

PSqueak

Banned

Played it with my street fighter gamepad for 360, the game maps the buttons to the corresponding keys (so if you're runing undertale, other programs will register your button presses as the corresponding key in the keyboard).

Saikyo

Its better than earthbound, mother series always bored me (the game that lasted longer for me was Mother 3) but this game I completed on the same day.

Doesnt help that I dislike the Dragon Quest battle style. Undertale at least shake it with the act button, animated sprites and "danmaku" to evade damage.

Aaron D.

Reverse follow-up question.

I understand that the fighting system is generally mini-games and some are bullet-hell in nature.

I game on a laptop and rarely pull out my 360 pad to play titles.

Can this game be played successfully with strictly k/m?

Thanks.

Puruzi

Banned

I understand that the fighting system is generally mini-games and some are bullet-hell in nature.

Thanks.

I beat the game with KB/M with no problems, it's very easy to play that way.

PSqueak

Banned

Thanks.

Wouldn't Keyboard controls give you the tightest control required for a bullet hell game anyways?

Aaron D.

I beat the game with KB/M with no problems, it's very easy to play that way.

Sold!

Wouldn't Keyboard controls give you the tightest control required for a bullet hell game anyways?

I would have thought a L-Stick on a 360 pad would give you a better range of motion or something, but as long as the game is completely playable with k/m I'm good to go.

Thanks guys!

I would have thought a L-Stick on a 360 pad would give you a better range of motion or something, but as long as the game is completely playable with k/m I'm good to go.

Thanks guys!
It's not super clear, but holding the x/shift key slows you down if you wanna move slower.
I played on KB/M without knowing that and still did fine though.

Top Bottom