• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

dity

I got used to using the analog stick on the Xbox One controller. Being able to tilt and stop worked out better than pressing a key for a certain period of time and then letting go.

The d-pad on controllers works too BTW.

The fanart is coming in waves and it is glorious. I love what everyone's doing. I've literally been looking at Toriel and Muffet pictures for like an hour, ignoring the hour yesterday/this morning I spent on Undyne and Sans pics.

PSqueak

Banned
The fanart is coming in waves and it is glorious. I love what everyone's doing. I've literally been looking at Toriel and Muffet pictures for like an hour, ignoring the hour yesterday/this morning I spent on Undyne and Sans pics.

Hopefully wholesome, clean pictures, right?

Because what would Toriel think if otherwise?

CHC

Gamepad controls are adequate right? I see it says partial controller support, hoping it works though because this is the game I want to sit back with.

agree, but at the same time I'm kind worried the fan art is going to spoil some things before I get the chance to play them.

Hopefully wholesome, clean pictures, right?

Because what would Toriel think if otherwise?

As someone who is one lewd and crude dude, I find it astonishing I didn't even THINK of looking for lewd shit. And amazingly, there is hardly any at all! I just like looking at cute pictures!

agree, but at the same time I'm kind worried the fan art is going to spoil some things before I get the chance to play them.

I highly suggest you do not look until you beat the game.

If you do, well

tumblr_nvhdm5jwQs1un9v43o1_1280.png

ike_

Just got through my first blind playthrough. My professional opinion and formalized review of this game is what the fuck.

ike_

Man, the Steam trading cards for this game are pretty hot right now: nearly $1 a piece. The game was $8 to preorder and you are probably going to get a potential $3 of free cards. Those emotes even more so.

Man, the Steam trading cards for this game are pretty hot right now: nearly $1 a piece. The game was $8 to preorder and you are probably going to get a potential $3 of free cards. Those emotes even more so.

With little games that suddenly get a big following, the trading cards get real expensive. Life Is Strange's cards still sell for over $0.25 each.

Alfredo

I bought the game yesterday and finished it last night with the "true pacifist" or whatever ending. Man, this game is really good.

I started my genocide play through today.
I honestly feel worse about ignoring Papyrus's puzzles than killing everyone!

...but apparently I screwed up my genocide run already. The save point stopped telling me the number of enemies left, just saying "that comedian," so I figured, "Oh, is it talking about Papyrus? He's kind of a comedian! I guess I have to kill him first before I can continue my genocide." Turns out "that comedian" text is just a glitch and now I have to start over because enemies stop spawning once you've killed the area's boss. BOOO. Genocide is harder than I thought...

JC Sera

I mean, it actually seems there are a few games that would fit within Undertale's genre already:

- The Mother series (quirky RPG where you never kill, things just "go back to normal")
- Moon RPG Remix Adventure (never played it, but GhaleonQ did a write-up years ago and a lot about the premise reminds me of Undertale)
- Actually most Love-de-lic games like Lack of Love, or Skip Ltd. games like Chibi Robo.
- Little King's Story, maybe? I mean you kill things, but
the game calls you out on it and makes you feel like a piece of shit by the end
I loved chibi robo
does harvest moon & animal crossing count?
Getting back to this, I just threw a recording of the creepy music into Audacity and sped it up a bunch of times.

Spoilers:
It's an extremely slow version of "Anticipation"
Thank you so much

Also looking forward to omori too, didnt have money to kickstart it at the time sadly

Bought the game there to support the dev. As I said I liked the demo but couldn't get into the enemy combat minigames too much. Hoping that changes with the full game.

Please tell me you got Sans' card. I checked out my card, saw his and just laughed for days.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but
is Metatton a Trans character? Metatton starts as a ghost girl then gets turned into a robot boy.
I mean, this is just me randomly pondering shit I've been thinking about.

JC Sera

Please tell me you got Sans' card. I checked out my card, saw his and just laughed for days.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but
is Metatton a Trans character? Metatton starts as a ghost girl then gets turned into a robot boy.
I mean, this is just me randomly pondering shit I've been thinking about.
All ghosts so far a referred to as they, the only reason you could think they were a girl ghost is everything is pink in their house, which really isn't always an accurate measure ;P
Mettaton definitely has dysmorphia in general, but I'm not sure if it is restrained to gender

Skulldead

I jump in the hype train and bought it....

This is a freaking fantastic !

I've just reach
The 2 skeleton Brother

The music and the dialog are amazing. This is more funny then i thought. Really nailed the Earthbound dialoge style... The battle system is very unique and i really well done. This is a biug surprise for me...

Cowie

Heh, sounds like Dan Ryckert has started playing and is enjoying Undertale. I'd love to see this game get on the Bombcast proper. it's super fantastic.

ike_

lol no I got a Toriel (sold for $1.08) and 2 Undynes ($0.80). I usually like to craft badges rather than sell cards but I couldn't resist with these prices.

I do kind of want that Sans emote which is currently five fricking dollars.

EDIT: man but looking over some of those other cards I can't stop laughing. I think Papyrus makes me laugh hardest. Those sunglasses are canon.

JC Sera

I bought more cards when they where cheaper (day 2 release?) and crafted a sans emote
its worth a fair bit but its so fun and useful to put after puns and dumb jokes or just when you need a wink emote

Dunkley

Thank you so much

No problem, if you're curious, I also found out that the music that plays after a "But nobody came..." screen is similar in this case,
being a super slowed down version of Flowey's Theme, "Your Best Friend".

lol no I got a Toriel (sold for $1.08) and 2 Undynes ($0.80). I usually like to craft badges rather than sell cards but I couldn't resist with these prices.

I do kind of want that Sans emote which is currently five fricking dollars.

EDIT: man but looking over some of those other cards I can't stop laughing. I think Papyrus makes me laugh hardest. Those sunglasses are canon.

That Sans emote is amazing. I wish that you could use those in more things than Steam chat though. AFAIK, you can't even use them in Dota chat which is frustrating.

JC Sera

No problem, if you're curious, I also found out that the music that plays after a "But nobody came..." screen is similar in this case,
being a super slowed down version of Flowey's Theme, "Your Best Friend".
seeing as those are arc words (**massive spoiler link**)
for him
I'm not surprised

Lingitiz

Finally finished it. I was enjoying everything up to the last hour and postgame stuff quite a bit, but from there that's where it really goes from good to amazing. What a game.

kurona_bright

Neo Member
The fact that the answer was even a "maybe" is basically Flowey's character in a nutshell. He had it good, but it was still the maybe.
I saw this message and it refused to stop bugging me all morning. :p

Intent on a course of action and actually following through on it isn't the same.
Flowey is having it good and still actually following through on the reset, imo.

Edit: Actually, even that's not right. Flowey is resetting and trying to find everything in the game - this includes killing the characters you've previously helped/befriending. Rerunning the game on pacifist runs isn't quite what the game seems to want you to do - which is put it down for good - but it isn't the same as systemic virtual murder.

just finished my first run, by killing everyone (but that was not
genocide
run)

just restarted, man this game is amazing, every dialogue is magic! I'm going to do it a least two other time to get the other endings (already read all the neutral ending on internet)

In my second playthrough, i want to do genocide run.... and then i kill toriel in one hit... you can see with fear in her eyes...and what she told you... man i feel really bad, haha, it's awesome how things change while replaying it!

Cowie

So is it worth it for me to stop by the store to get a Steam card to get this?

Yes. But, I absolutely love this game, so maybe it's not really fair to listen to me?

I mean, you can check out the demo and see if that does it for you. http://undertale.com/demo.htm

Honestly I'm just trying not to be the guy who answers this question with "OH MY GOD DROP EVERYTHING AND BUY IT YES IT'S WORTH IT" because I don't think that really contributes much of a concrete answer to your question, and I don't really know your taste. That said, some part of me IS screaming that, I'm just trying to keep it muzzled.

Do you like quirky games? Do you prefer something that is mechanics-heavy, or are you willing to take a silly adventure that will occasionally throw the rules out the window for the sake of a good joke?

Dunkley

just finished my first run, by killing everyone (but that was not
genocide
run)

just restarted, man this game is amazing, every dialogue is magic! I'm going to do it a least two other time to get the other endings (already read all the neutral ending on internet)

In my second playthrough, i want to do genocide run.... and then i kill toriel in one hit... you can see with fear in her eyes...and what she told you... man i feel really bad, haha, it's awesome how things change while replaying it!

Have fun!

Just to note however, after a
Genocide Run, all Pacifist Runs you do from that point on will permanently (and by that I mean even after deleting your savegames permanently) have a slightly different ending
. You'll see.

Have fun!

Just to note however, after a
Genocide Run, all Pacifist Runs you do from that point on will permanently (and by that I mean even after deleting your savegames permanently) have a slightly different ending
. You'll see.

well, too late, haha, thanks anyway! At least i can still see it on youtube or getting someone here to tell me the difference

Dunkley

well, too late, haha, thanks anyway! At least i can still see it on youtube or getting someone here to tell me the difference

Well, it's a very small difference, but basically it's that after a Genocide Run,
the murderous demon in you stays active even after you restart. So considering the happiest ending has everyone being happy and friends, go figure what happens when you stop controlling your character and the demon comes out to play.

Up until then however, all is the same as with the regular True Pacifist Ending. It sorta just adds onto it.

PSqueak

Banned

You can abort genocide run at any time before the last corridor, you know, there is still time. Depending how much you can attach emotionally to these characters, souring the true ending for ever might not be worth it.

Well, it's a very small difference, but basically it's that after a Genocide Run,
the murderous demon in you stays active even after you restart. So considering the happiest ending has everyone being happy and friends, go figure what happens when you stop controlling your character and the demon comes out to play.

Up until then however, all is the same as with the regular ending. It sorta just adds onto it.

i put this post in my favorites, will read it after my
pacifist run (but i'll do first the genocide run, i already did a lot, would be a waste to redo it laster, too long to kill everyhting... after all you're not supposed to know everything that will happen, so if it ruin the true ending, so be it)

Kuga

On a whim I crafted all five badge levels and the foil badge for Undertale only to receive two(!) Spaghetti Papyrus BGs. They're currently selling for ~$28.50 each which about pays for the game, cards, and those extremely expensive foils. Luck and
DETERMINATION
trump economics!

On a whim I crafted all five badge levels and the foil badge for Undertale only to receive two(!) Spaghetti Papyrus BGs. They're currently selling for ~$28.50 each which about pays for the game, cards, and those extremely expensive foils. Luck and
DETERMINATION
trump economics!
Goddamn, dude! Grats
I hate the first person battle systems in rpgs. Unfortunate cause the game seems interesting but that's a deal breaker :(
You've seen the actual gameplay right? Attacking has a timing element and dodging enemy attacks works kinda like a bullet hell.
If you need convincing on the gameplay, just try out the demo.

Top Bottom