• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Skulldead

I just past one of the funniest moment of the game so far

Papyrus dating mini game
, this character is just amazing....

The undertale mashups are seriously some of the coolest things I've seen:
https://soundcloud.com/dabunky/lose...=kurona_bright/sets/undertale-mashups-remixes

As someone who hates that specific Eminem song for the first one, it fits so perfectly it's almost scary.

Edit: Baaaaaaaaaake Squaaaaaaaaaaaaad

Edit x2: Ride or Die

The music for this game really is like...a step above. Like the first time I heard the music from Penny Arcade 4 it sorta caught me by surprise but every time a great new track showed up in this game it completely blew me away. Some of the battle themes are legitimately amazing tracks.

I just past one of the funniest moment of the game so far

Papyrus dating mini game
, this character is just amazing....

That was the moment when I knew this game was something special. The music, humor, the visuals- everything was so on point.

Video game music and rap/R&B mashups are one of my favourite types of music, so I'm thrilled that there's a decent amount of it so far. My favourite is this one.

This is so fantastic

Granjinha

So, the game is back on the Top 10 Sellers of Steam.

Toby must be pretty happy.

OH GOD LOL

holy shit these are AMAZING

btw who is jerry guys? That one you're posting

Dmax3901

Since my last silly post about not getting this game I now love this game.

Any tips for the fight with
Undyne?

Game over'd twice in a row :(

Granjinha

Since my last silly post about not getting this game I now love this game.

Any tips for the fight with
Undyne?

Game over'd twice in a row :(

Take a lot of hp items, are you going for the pacifist? If yes:

You can't win with "spare", there's a moment where you have to run from the fight

dity

I saw this message and it refused to stop bugging me all morning. :p

Intent on a course of action and actually following through on it isn't the same.
Flowey is having it good and still actually following through on the reset, imo.

Edit: Actually, even that's not right. Flowey is resetting and trying to find everything in the game - this includes killing the characters you've previously helped/befriending. Rerunning the game on pacifist runs isn't quite what the game seems to want you to do - which is put it down for good - but it isn't the same as systemic virtual murder.

Flowey kept running pacifist (seeing what items did what when given to people and checking all the talking options) until he got the idea of killing, but it wasn't systematic murder. He tried all results, meaning he'd probably end up running mostly neutral runs.

I am honestly laughing at ppl who haven't seemingly even bothered genocide arguing the small details of it. Weird stuff.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Genocide Spoils:
I really feel like drawing some fanart of
Undyne the Undying.
They really resonated with me at that battle.

DNAbro

lol just did "hard mode"

it was actually kind of difficult up to the end. Would like to see it spread to the whole game. Would also pay like a dollar or 2 for it.

Genocide Spoils:
I really feel like drawing some fanart of
Undyne the Undying.
They really resonated with me at that battle.

tumblr_nvbggzQs5B1r94yi6o1_500.gif

Do it.

Man, i'm really having a hard time passing
Undyne the undying in genocide mode, any tips? I use the book and glasse, it help a lot, but after two third of hre life down i always die (and i only have one snow piece)! She deals to much damage

Edit : i tried with the book nd tutu, it's a little better, but no amtter how much i try, i still take damage, even at the beginning

Leezard

Question on the Muffet fight.

If you do not buy anything from the spider bake sale in the Ruins, what happens in the fight?

Woffls

Just bought this - was 20p cheaper to buy on the website than through Steam :p I assume the dev gets more money that way.

Not sure if I'll play it right away, or add it to my list of 'games that will run on my laptop that I'll get around to playing when I get a job and end up in London without my gaming PC one day'.

I should probably play it now to avoid spoilers, I guess.

kurona_bright

Neo Member
Flowey kept running pacifist (seeing what items did what when given to people and checking all the talking options) until he got the idea of killing, but it wasn't systematic murder. He tried all results, meaning he'd probably end up running mostly neutral runs.

I am honestly laughing at ppl who haven't seemingly even bothered genocide arguing the small details of it. Weird stuff.

Looking back at my past post, I realized I meant to use systematic instead of systemic. Oops.

But even so, Flowey isn't just rerunning the game. Like you said, Flowey tried all results - he's someone who wants to see 100% of the content that he can - which does include pixelated genocide, since he says on the way to Sans: "I read every book. I burned every book... I've appeased everyone. I've killed everyone" . Sure, Flowey didn't kill everybody all the time - but there are neutral endings where you've wrecked complete havoc over the entire underground, and we can assume Flowey has done the same.

Moonlight "maybe" replaying the game months, or even years down the line is nowhere near the systematic violence that Flowey represents (and gleefully partakes in), which was the part of your statement that I was taking issue with.

And it's not like playing through cutscenes in Undertale imparts critical, inherent information that watching the same cutscene on youtube doesn't. So have fun laughing, I guess?

On another note, have another mashup. Hopefully this hasn't been already posted: https://soundcloud.com/le-ruse-bird/gwendertale-hollobake-sale?

This game would be so amazing on Vita (playing the demo)

I am in love with the bullet dodging mechanic, and the dialogue. Not really digging the visuals.

kurona_bright

Neo Member
This game would be so amazing on Vita (playing the demo)

I am in love with the bullet dodging mechanic, and the dialogue. Not really digging the visuals.

Gamemaker Studio does support Vita ports, so that's considerably more likely than 3ds or Wii U ones. Toby's said on twitter that he wants to iron out all the PC issues first, though - it might be a while.

Also, I forgot about these! Reallife piano recordings done by the same guy who did the 'One Year Older' Homestuck album. "Home", "Ruins", and "Fallen Down" are all pretty awesome.

dity

Looking back at my past post, I realized I meant to use systematic instead of systemic. Oops.

But even so, Flowey isn't just rerunning the game. Like you said, Flowey tried all results - he's someone who wants to see 100% of the content that he can - which does include pixelated genocide, since he says on the way to Sans: "I read every book. I burned every book... I've appeased everyone. I've killed everyone" . Sure, Flowey didn't kill everybody all the time - but there are neutral endings where you've wrecked complete havoc over the entire underground, and we can assume Flowey has done the same.

Moonlight "maybe" replaying the game months, or even years down the line is nowhere near the systematic violence that Flowey represents (and gleefully partakes in), which was the part of your statement that I was taking issue with.

And it's not like playing through cutscenes in Undertale imparts critical, inherent information that watching the same cutscene on youtube doesn't. So have fun laughing, I guess?

On another note, have another mashup. Hopefully this hasn't been already posted: https://soundcloud.com/le-ruse-bird/gwendertale-hollobake-sale?

Flowey is only full of "hate" for the fact that no one can help, he doesn't actually draw glee from killing. He only killed as that was a possible option and outcome. His want to destroy everything does not come from a serial killer-esque joy for bringing death, it comes from wanting to end everything so that he can finally end himself. He wants to die. He hopes that by destroying absolutely everything he will finally be able to die.

When it comes to watching a genocide run over playing it yourself, you're essentially left to only be able to see whatever the let's player decides to do. You're slave to their experience. So yeah, I'd say playing it means more than watching it here.
Flowey also calls out people watching the game instead of playing it, lol. He basically says they're just as sick and twisted as the player character who chose to play that run, maybe more-so.

kurona_bright

Neo Member
Flowey is only full of "hate", he doesn't actually draw glee from killing. He only killed as that was a possible option and outcome. His want to destroy everything does not come from a serial killer-esque joy for bringing death, it comes from wanting to end everything so that he can finally end himself. He wants to die. He hopes that by destroying absolutely everything he will finally be able to die.

When it comes to watching a genocide run over playing it yourself, you're essentially left to only be able to see whatever the let's player decides to do. You're slave to their experience. So yeah, I'd say playing it means more than watching it here.
Flowey also calls out people watching the game instead of playing it, lol. He basically says they're just as sick and twisted as the player character who chose to play that run, maybe more-so.

Edit: Whoops, didn't see your last post. I'll let it drop. Here, have a comic about the true pacifist ending:

Proc

As someone who has only finished a couple main line final fantasy games, lunar, and super Mario rpg; I'm really enjoying this game. It is making me appreciate the genre. I'm about 2-3 hours in and I parictilarly love how everything feels like a puzzle. Easily reccomended.

Looking forward to trying Lisa, earthbound, and chrono trigger in no particular order after I finish this.

Oh and the music is amazing. It reminds me a lot of the band called final fantasy. The album I'm thinking of is called "He Poos Clouds."

dity

Well, we're talking about a certain character here, and all info relevant to them is pretty much mandatory cutscenes, so... it doesn't matter in the context of this conversation? Like I said, I'm not missing any crucial information here (I'm just losing part of my soul :v ).

also seriously giant, specific spoilers for near endgame genocide run below:
.The library in Snowdin that monster's souls are made of "love, mercy, and compassion" - it doesn't say that Flowey can't feel sadistic glee or anything like that. His grin? His laugh? That's emotion. This is also backed up by Flowey's monologue, which has him saying things like, "I was so scared," and "the king found me crying in the garden". Flowey definitely feels things. He calls "genocide" liberating, and he's literally shaking right before you enter the hallway with Sans.
Also, he definitely wants to live. He says that in his long monologue, too - right before he describes reloading for the first time.

Edit: Whoops, didn't see your last post. I'll let it drop. Here, have a comic about the true pacifist ending:

Look, I really don't want to argue, but you're basically ignoring any and all context.

Flowey cannot feel happiness. If he could the entire game wouldn't exist. Because that's exactly what motivated him to do everything he did. He was with the King, but nothing about living with him made him happy. He tried to kill himself as a result for not being able to feel that way. He started to hate the king as he could not find happiness with being with him. He tried helping everyone, live in peace. No happiness. He tried changing things every time he reloaded. No happiness. Living in the human world with his "friends"? No happiness. His resolve is to destroy everything to relieve himself of his pitiful life. He isn't an evil being that loves to hate. He just only knows hate. And he hates that.

That's the absolute last I'll say on that topic. That's Flowey's character. That's who he's revealed to be. Take it, or leave it. A lot of it's revealed if you optionally walk around Asgore's home. If rushed, you miss it. :/

Dunkley

Temmie is love.

Temmie is life.

edit:

In regards to the feeling thing,
the game generally means by "feeling something" positive emotions. Flowey can be scared, sadistic, angry, all the negative things. But he can't feel Love, Compassion or anything that is said to be what a SOUL consists of.

It's simply put Artistic License
on what it means to feel

yatesl

Despite almost deciding not to play it due to Giant Bomb
suggesting that I get a "True Ending" if I decide to spare everyone instead of fight
- I'm a complete baby when it comes to even
mechanic
spoilers
- I decided to plump down the £7 anyway.

Great game so far. I just fought an enemy who
complained about everything, including wi-fi, and the spare option was "Ditch"
. I didn't twig until I saw the last bit as he was with someone else, and I did a proper belly laugh.

Top Bottom