• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Haunted

Man, gaming is really unpredictable. You never know what might resonate with people. Very surprised this game has even fanart springing up around it.

Cowie

Ugh this game has left me in a rut, I'd rather sit around and think about Undertale than play other games. It's becoming a problem. Nothing else is fulfilling anymore!

I think I'm sold on Lisa now, but I kind of don't think I'm ready for the emotional investment yet?

Granjinha

Man, gaming is really unpredictable. You never know what might resonate with people. Very surprised this game has even fanart springing up around it.

This and Soma are also constantly on the first page of the Steam Top Sellers. Which makes me REALLY happy.

Word of mouth does wonders for these kinds of things.

K.Sabot

Ugh this game has left me in a rut, I'd rather sit around and think about Undertale than play other games. It's becoming a problem. Nothing else is fulfilling anymore!

I think I'm sold on Lisa now, but I kind of don't think I'm ready for the emotional investment yet?

It's much more draining than Undertale imo, a lot more downs than ups.

JC Sera

if you like rogue likes I'd suggest red rogue

its got similar themes to undertale and is a great time waster
just make sure to pay attention when you sleep, and read the walls
its one off my goat games, I just keep going back to it now and then, when stressed

however I understand that my taste in this game is pretty niche

Haha oh wow. (genocide spoilers)
Sans is no joke.

tumblr_nviekrytlf1sr9b9lo1_540.gif

Sorry, I'll stop posting fan art. I just have this incredible urge to share all the amazing shit I'm finding with other people who are loving this game.

1upsuper

if you like rogue likes I'd suggest red rogue

its got similar themes to undertale and is a great time waster
just make sure to pay attention when you sleep, and read the walls
its one off my goat games, I just keep going back to it now and then, when stressed

however I understand that my taste in this game is pretty niche

Never heard of this one, but I'm always down to try new roguelikes. It's one of my favorite genres, actually. I'll try it out.

No game has made me feel as bad as this one when i
killed that motherly monster at the beginning
. It was sort of accidental. Playing it through with a severe sense of guilt. I bet i'm going to replay this.

Sorry, I'll stop posting fan art. I just have this incredible urge to share all the amazing shit I'm finding with other people who are loving this game.
SO COOL
I've been in that spot for like a week.
Send help.
Drew a bit of everyone's favorite blook.
Blook 2cute

Idk why but playing it at first caused me to get a bit nostalgic and teary eyed for no apparent reason. I never played Earthbound or any SNES RPGs really but it just hit me and I felt like a little boy playing games again. I think it was the music that got me. I had to pause the game for a second.

1upsuper

I hope this isn't too off-topic, but I'm not too sure on avatar protocol even after reading the rules. I'd love to use an Undertale avatar like some of y'all but I don't want to commit a faux pas. When you guys use Undertale fanart, do you ask the artist's permission?

PSqueak

Banned
I hope this isn't too off-topic, but I'm not too sure on avatar protocol even after reading the rules. I'd love to use an Undertale avatar like some of y'all but I don't want to commit a faux pas. When you guys use Undertale fanart, do you ask the artist's permission?

I don't think any artist will be mad if you use it, but if it's one FROM gaf, i'd recommend to ask. Personally i don't use avatars i didn't draw myself.

Verelios

I just started the game and am trying to be a friendly underworld touring pacifist but these MFers are making it really hard for me not to just kill them and lvl up.

Cowie

I just started the game and am trying to be a friendly underworld touring pacifist but these MFers are making it really hard for me not to just kill them and lvl up.
SiUxNFZ.png

Be strong, innocent one! The gold the monsters leave you can keep you adequately stocked with healing items. The smiles and laughter you'll receive from solving problems by making friends is far greater than any 'experience points.' I believe in you!

dity

I don't feel like I can play anything else until I beat the section I'm stuck on. I've been practising for hours (with an ear infection and on meds) and I know I'll beat it any day now.

Also, I'm thinking of picking up Lisa too. I think it'd up my alley. Plus, it's only $10.

Toby's pretty awesome to follow. He's got a good sense of humour.

No probs to the people that were curious about LISA. I feel it is my duty as a cool dude to let people know how wonderful it is.

Side note, don't watch a Twitch or Youtube play of Undertale. Just...save yourself the anger. It's seriously one of the most angering and mind-numbing experiences I've forced myself to watch (save for that Dexterity girl).

Puruzi

Banned
No probs to the people that were curious about LISA. I feel it is my duty as a cool dude to let people know how wonderful it is.

Side note, don't watch a Twitch or Youtube play of Undertale. Just...save yourself the anger. It's seriously one of the most angering and mind-numbing experiences I've forced myself to watch (save for that Dexterity girl).

Manlybadasshero has a pretty good let's play. Vinesauce Joel's playthrough is also great.

Shamdeo

So... I managed to get
Neutral and Pacifist (True) endings getting the bedroom scene, etc.

So I noticed that you can backtrack to the Ruins and talk to Asriel at the place where you fall into the Underground. However, he's not here. Anything I need to do?

Puruzi

Banned
So... I managed to get
Neutral and Pacifist (True) endings getting the bedroom scene, etc.

So I noticed that you can backtrack to the Ruins and talk to Asriel at the place where you fall into the Underground. However, he's not here. Anything I need to do?

He's only there on the first playthrough.

Manlybadasshero has a pretty good let's play. Vinesauce Joel's playthrough is also great.

Manly's are always good though. I'm...fairly certain(?) he plays through every game he LPs once before recording it and then sets it up so he catches everything and doesn't make you sit through hours of not paying attention to the game.

DigtialT

Made a strange discovery, in the official released soundtrack for the game the song that plays
during Asriel's final form fight after the flashback of the first human,
His Theme, is actually about 15% faster then it is in game. I put an audio rip of the moment in game and the official song and slowed the official song down and they sound the exact same. I wonder why they changed the song in the release.

Puruzi

Banned
Manly's are always good though. I'm...fairly certain(?) he plays through every game he LPs once before recording it and then sets it up so he catches everything and doesn't make you sit through hours of not paying attention to the game.

Undertale was blind

Kuga

Made a strange discovery, in the official released soundtrack for the game the song that plays
during Asriel's final form fight after the flashback of the first human,
His Theme, is actually about 15% faster then it is in game. I put an audio rip of the moment in game and the official song and slowed the official song down and they sound the exact same. I wonder why they changed the song in the release.

Some of the sounds are sped up or slowed down in-game. It's strange because this was done by programming rather than just altering the music track. People have extracted the music files from the executable and they are the same speeds as the OST. Maybe it's just an oversight that the OST wasn't adjusted?

Dimmle

If anyone is hungry for a similar flavor to Undertale and hasn't played it (which given Undertale's fanbase, I'm not sure if it's possible), give Mother 3 a shot. You really don't need to have played Earthbound but it will enrich some callbacks. People reference Earthbound but I'd say Undertale takes even stronger cues from Mother 1 and 3. Mother 3 also gives Undertale a run for its money as an emotionally affecting RPG.

There's an outstanding translation patch you can grab here.

DigtialT

My total play time for the true end pacifist run totaled about 10 hours, yet those 10 hours are the best 10 hours of gaming I've had in years. For being just $10 on steam, this has become one of my favorite games of all time, maybe even my absolute favorite with how smart, charming, but also emotionally gutting this game can get making me laugh one moment then feel horrible the next. Would definitely recommend this to anyone, with the tip to do the genocide route first, then the pacifist route
as doing it the other way around just feel horrible, to murder in cold blood all your best friends

Dimmle

My total play time for the true end pacifist run totaled about 10 hours, yet those 10 hours are the best 10 hours of gaming I've had in years. For being just $10 on steam, this has become one of my favorite games of all time, maybe even my absolute favorite with how smart, charming, but also emotionally gutting this game can get making me laugh one moment then feel horrible the next. Would definitely recommend this to anyone, with the tip to do the genocide route first, then the pacifist route
as doing it the other way around just feel horrible, to murder in cold blood all you best friends

I am doing the genocide route third and
it's the absolute worst. It kind of invalidates all of the personal developments that take place over the course of the neutral and pacifist routes. If I had it to do again, I would do genocide first but that also seems weird.
Basically, genocide is bad.

Puruzi

Banned
IMO it goes Neutral, Pacifist, Genocide. I only did neutral and pacifist, neutral by proxy of doing pacifist, so I might not be the best judge on that. I only know anything about genocide because of /utg/. Really not interested in it, but I don't care if people want to play it, just don't ever do it first

dity

I'm probably gonna practice the last boss of genocide for a few more hours.
I get about 4 dialogue boxes away from the end of the fight

Top Bottom