• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Dunkley

Great game so far. I just fought an enemy who
complained about everything, including wi-fi, and the spare option was "Ditch"
. I didn't twig until I saw the last bit as he was with someone else, and I did a proper belly laugh.

Ugh, Jerry is so freaking lame.

Nobody likes him.

dity

Yeah, we're talking past each other at this point. Let's just say that you think I'm wrong, I think you're wrong, and let's just leave it at that. (not optional, by the way. You need the keys.)

Here's a link to a fantastic artist's fanart of the game.
Optional, you do not need to stick around Asgore's home for too long. Sticking around reveals more prompts. I stuck around and investigated a lot more than just getting those keys.

Anyway, honestly I think you're just inserting your own narrative. Surely you've at least watched the character say it can't feel happiness at all. Cos if you had you'd realise why your version of things makes no flipping sense to the story. I'm not even inserting any of my own interpretation, I'm just saying what it said. Like damn. This is dumb.

kurona_bright

Neo Member
Optional, you do not need to stick around Asgore's home for too long. Sticking around reveals more prompts. I stuck around and investigated a lot more than just getting those keys.

Anyway, honestly I think you're just inserting your own narrative. Surely you've at least watched the character say it can't feel happiness at all. Cos if you had you'd realise why your version of things makes no flipping sense to the story. Christ.

Sadistic glee (my words) != happiness (what you're saying are my words). I never used those words.
Also, Flowey does not want to die. And I know that as a fact. I even quoted specific lines from the game, and those are mandatory viewing.

Have fun having a bad time.

I wish this game was on consoles so bad :( I have credit on PSN right now, but don't really have any money to spend on steam. This kinda caught me by surprise.

dity

Sadistic glee (my words) != happiness (what you're saying are my words). I never used those words. Also,
Flowey
does not want to die.
And I know that as a fact. I even quoted specific lines from the game, and those are mandatory viewing.

Have fun having a bad time.

There, in bold. You do not understand the character. At all. Also spoiler that stuff.

Is being scared happiness? No. Is sadness happiness? No. I never claimed it couldn't feel anything. Just not happiness..

And what if not a kind of happiness is "sadistic glee" then? That makes no sense dude. It's glee.

kurona_bright

Neo Member
There, in bold. You do not understand the character. At all.

And what if not a kind of happiness is "sadistic glee" then? That makes no sense dude.
Yeah, finish the game first and then tell me that.

You said, "filled with hatred". I took that to mean, "couldn't feel anything other than hatred," and clearly I'm wrong in that. Sorry about that.

Gee, I wonder why the 'psychopath killer' who gets off on killing people appears in so many different types of media.

Sorry about the spoilers, fixed it.

dity

Yeah, finish the game first and then tell me that.

Gee, I wonder why the 'psychopath killer' who gets off on killing people appears in so many different types of media.

Flowey does most of the things (bar living with "friends") leading up to the finale of Genocide because he wants to die. How hard is that to understand?

A killer who gets off on killing, meaning he loves it and it makes him happy, would still have a soul by this game's standards. Other characters in the game do some awful or not nice things but still have a soul.

In regards to the feeling thing,
the game generally means by "feeling something" positive emotions. Flowey can be scared, sadistic, angry, all the negative things. But he can't feel Love, Compassion or anything that is said to be what a SOUL consists of.
This.

Christ, stop arguing. You're not even using spoiler tags anymore.

I don't even want to anymore. The whole thing feels stupid beyond comprehension.

kurona_bright

Neo Member
Heeeere's some fanart!

DgLkVoZ.jpg

9Ti9SJN.jpg

from here:
http://cubewatermelon.tumblr.com/tagged/Undertale
(keep in mind a fair bit of this content is spoilery)

bede-x

Joypad support in this is quite poor. Buttons are assigned by someone who is obviously not used to playing with a controller, I couldn't find a way to make the game fullscreen and there's no way to quit out of it..

That said, it seems very charming so far.

doop_

Banned
Ugh
I am currently in that maze that darkens the room, i feel like i am going to be here for a while. game is still fun, also fuck you Angry Dummy.

dity

Joypad support in this is quite poor. Buttons are assigned by someone who is obviously not used to playing with a controller, I couldn't find a way to make the game fullscreen and there's no way to quit out of it..

You can remap the controls from an option called "Joypad mapping" or something (I forget) on the screen that shows after the title screen, fullscreen the game with F4, and quit by holding the ESC key.

Hope that helps.

Ugh
I am currently in that maze that darkens the room, i feel like i am going to be here for a while. game is still fun, also fuck you Angry Dummy.

Interact with the little lanterns next to the paths, they'll brighten the room.

ivb_1973

Banned
Just finished the Neutral ending.

I spare Asgore and when he lowers his guard Flowey appears, kills him, says IT'S KILL OR BE KILLED and shuts down the fucking game

And then the true final boss. One that knows how to use SAVE/LOAD mechanics o_O

Flowey is what the nightmares are made of...

kurona_bright

Neo Member

I spare Asgore and when he lowers his guard Flowey appears, kills him, says IT'S KILL OR BE KILLED and shuts down the fucking game

And then the tru final boss. One that knows how to use SAVE/LOAD mechanics o_O

When you're finished with that, this should be good for a laugh: http://webm.host/7569c/

Cowie

F4 goes fullscreen, hold esc to quit.

But yeah, the controller support is sort of shoehorned in. It sounds like it's a built-in joy2key solution wherein it actually is just reading gamepad inputs and mapping them to keys? I suspect this is why it's listed as "partial gamepad support"

Dunkley

And then the tru final boss. One that knows how to use SAVE/LOAD mechanics o_O

It's fantastic, isn't it?

When you're finished with that, this should be good for a laugh: http://webm.host/7569c/

Haha, wow, I've never tried doing that but that's pretty funny.

bede-x

You can remap the controls from an option called "Joypad mapping" or something (I forget) on the screen that shows after the title screen, fullscreen the game with F4, and quit by holding the ESC key.

Hmm, I must have missed the remap controls option the first time or do they not show up the first time you start the game?

I did know that F4 is fullscreen and ESC quit, but I want to do it on my controller. Big picture, living room, couch gaming... My keyboard is nowhere near me when I play games like this.

But thanks for the help.

Dunkley

Hmm, I must have missed the remap controls options the first time or do they not show up the first time you start the game?

I did know that F4 is fullscreen ESC quit, but I want to do it on my controller. Big picture, living room, couch gaming... My keyboard is nowhere near me when I play games like this.

But thanks for the help.

I think that's why it's listed as partial controller support. Quitting the game and switching to fullscreen is not possible on a controller.

Games like Jet Set Radio were listed as partial controller support too before their launcher was patched to be controllable with a controller, as it required keyboard and mouse input to work back then because otherwise you couldn't even launch the game while playing in Big Picture on a controller.

dity

Hmm, I must have missed the remap controls option the first time or do they not show up the first time you start the game?

I did know that F4 is fullscreen and ESC quit, but I want to do it on my controller. Big picture, living room, couch gaming... My keyboard is nowhere near me when I play games like this.

But thanks for the help.
Yeah, I have that issue too. I have to get up to fullscreen and quit the game when playing it in Big Picture Mode.

Yeah I don't know what's up with the joypad settings option not showing up. I'm not sure if I remember whether they showed up the first time I played. It was definitely there the second time I started playing with a controller already plugged in.

You could always use a program like JoyToKey to map those two keys to your controller?

Krabboss

hmm undyne is tough, i think i will just have to kill her.

Only read this if you want the pacifist solution.

At some point during the fight you will gain the option to run away. You just flee and run past her into the next room.

Kuga

So, I was looking at their Kickstarter page and started wondering about something...

MAJOR SPOILERS:
Is Frisk possessed in that image?

MORE MAJOR SPOILERS:
I don't think so. The fallen child, Chara (or whatever you name the FC at the beginning of the game) was buried under the flower bed where Frisk wakes up in the underground. It is implied that the essence of Chara is mingled with Frisk's soul at that time - pacifist playthroughs result in Chara gaining no power but neutral or genocide runs allow Chara to influence Frisk's thoughts and reactions. Chara takes over completely at the end of genocide.

dity

MORE MAJOR SPOILERS:
I don't think so. The fallen child, Chara (or whatever you name the FC at the beginning of the game) was buried under the flower bed where Frisk wakes up in the underground. It is implied that the essence of Chara is mingled with Frisk's soul at that time - pacifist playthroughs result in Chara gaining no power but neutral or genocide runs allow Chara to influence Frisk's thoughts and reactions. Chara takes over completely at the end of genocide.
That's my understanding as well.

PSqueak

Banned
This game would be so amazing on Vita (playing the demo)

I am in love with the bullet dodging mechanic, and the dialogue. Not really digging the visuals.

There is a ton of stuff this game does towards the end that absolutely cannot be done on anything other than a PC.

Dunkley

MORE MAJOR SPOILERS:

Right, uhm, that's why I was wondering considering (HOLY SPOILERS BATMAN)
if you have seen the Post-Genocide True Pacifist endings, you can see Chara coming out in Frisk after the player loses control depicted by him opening his eyes, evil glint, evil laughter and putting on an innoncent psycho smile, or if you take the ending where you don't stay with Toriel, the group picture will have Frisk, with his eyes open, smiling like The Fallen Child with all the other character's faces scribbled out.

The reason I wondered was because the kid in question is wearing Frisk's clothing, so it's not Chara, but he seems to have Chara's smile (seen on the Fallen Child in the Ending of the Genocide Run, in Post-Genocide Pacifist Runs, and also in the bubble when Frisk enters a battle during the Genocide Route instead of the exclaimation mark.) Considering Chara's control is denoted by smile and open eyes, I kinda was wondering if it applied here, especially with Flowey smiling at them from the side.

PSqueak

Banned
Right, uhm, that's why I was wondering considering (HOLY SPOILERS BATMAN)
if you have seen the Post-Genocide True Pacifist endings, you can see Chara coming out in Frisk after the player loses control depicted by him opening his eyes, evil glint, evil laughter and putting on an innoncent psycho smile, or if you take the ending where you don't stay with Toriel, the group picture will have Frisk, with his eyes open, smiling like The Fallen Child with all the other character's faces scribbled out.

The reason I wondered was because the kid in question is wearing Frisk's clothing, so it's not Chara, but he seems to have Chara's smile (seen on the Fallen Child in the Ending of the Genocide Run, in Post-Genocide Pacifist Runs, and also in the bubble when Frisk enters a battle during the Genocide Route instead of the exclaimation mark.) Considering Chara's control is denoted by smile and open eyes, I kinda was wondering if it applied here, especially with Flowey smiling at them from the side.

Frankly i think the artist of the picture just took some liberties
and just ignored the fact that Frisk has a fixed expression

Saikyo

This image was from the kickstarter no? Since them maybe the early concepts werent clear or changed for the final version, I wouldnt take this image as canon or something.

Dad

I still can't believe that this tiny, unassuming indie RPG is probably going to be at the top of my GOTY list over stuff like Witcher 3 and MGSV. I don't fucking believe it. That Determination

jonjonaug

Question:
Do Frisk and Chara have canon genders? I always see players referring to both characters as "he", but I always saw both characters as girls and was taken aback by this after reading posts about the game once I'd finished with it.

Leezard

Question:
Do Frisk and Chara have canon genders? I always see players referring to both characters as "he", but I always saw both characters as girls and was taken aback by this after reading posts about the game once I'd finished with it.

From what I saw in game,
the game always refers to both characters as "they", so undefined gender. I think the sprite is created in a way to make it ambiguous as well.

Dunkley

Question:

They're both intentionally designed to be gender ambiguous and are referred as they/them in the game.

Geg

Man, i'm really having a hard time passing
Undyne the undying in genocide mode, any tips? I use the book and glasse, it help a lot, but after two third of hre life down i always die (and i only have one snow piece)! She deals to much damage

Edit : i tried with the book nd tutu, it's a little better, but no amtter how much i try, i still take damage, even at the beginning

A combination of the ballet shoes and glasses is what did it for me. I really felt I needed the extra attack power to finish it in as few turns as possible.

After that it's just memorizing patterns and being really skilled/lucky at dodging spears

Dunkley

I'd say most people are projecting themselves onto the character to a certain degree

Which makes sense given
Chara is supposed to reflect you as a player and Frisk is supposed to be familiar in terms of appearance to them.

Either way is correct however, so anyone can decide on that for themselves.

PSqueak

Banned
That's not true. Everything can be done on other platforms, if the holders allow it.

I don't think any of the major 3 would allow
intentional crashes and secret data writing in locations outside the designated savefile

Edit: That said, perhaps it could be done in android based platforms.

Alfredo

I have no idea if there's been a game on any home or travel console that
purposefully crashed you back to the home menu.

If they ever did port it to consoles, it'd probably just "crash" to the title screen. Though it'd be funny if they (if allowed) made their own faux home screen for each console.

intentional crashes and secret data writing in locations outside the designated savefile

they could probably tie that stuff to achievements or something like that. Force people to make a whole new account to start "clean." And itd be fun to see people reluctant to get all the achievements/trophies in the game

Granjinha

I have no idea if there's been a game on any home or travel console that
purposefully crashed you back to the home menu.

Edit: That said, perhaps it could be done in android based platforms.

Yeah, like i said, IF they allow it lol

Considering how open they have been to indie games with good reception i don't think it's that far fetched, though.

If they ever did port it to consoles, it'd probably just "crash" to the title screen. Though it'd be funny if they (if allowed) made their own faux home screen for each console.

I think toby would try to do that.

Top Bottom