• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Just beat Pacifist and then what I'm assuming is true pacifist after I
befriended Undyne and visited true Lab
. Love how
Flowey tells you at pacifist how to 'get a better ending' and by doing that you are possibly left with something worse. It's incredible.

I don't think I have the guts to do a genocide run. Still need to avoid every name in the credit though - but after that, I'll leave it at that. My GOTY by far.

Some people mentioned Lisa and I'll be giving that a crack later. Heard great things about it as well.

Odrion

Banned
Man, just finished it. At first I though it was kinda okay but somewhat dumb five hours in, but then at some point it got it's hooks into me and I was like "Oh shit, I care about these characters. Why the fuck do I care about these characters this much?"

Like (true ending spoiler)
when the flower captured everyone my heart actually started to race. Like what the fuck? I didn't think games did that to me anymore.

And it's kinda fucking stupid when you write out what's actually going and yet...

Like it seems like the game is this blatant "sledge hammer" style of subversive and storytelling. But... It very quietly got me to care about it's world in a way that caught me very off guard. Sledge hammers don't do that to me, except this one did.

It's less "Scary" and more unnerving. In a sort of...the topics it's about and things it makes you think about due to the creepy setting and situation.

Like, it's horror but more like...thought provoking horror.

Odrion

Banned
Soma isn't like Amnesiac's "House of Horrors" style of scariness.

Soma is more like... Walking around in a weird sci-fi horror novel. If you like a certain about of ambient spookiness and prevailing sense of dread, but don't want to be shocked out of your chair, Soma is your game.

dity

I like general spookiness. And sci-fi. I think I'll give the game a go. *adds to Steam wishlist*

There's one specific part of the game that i found more unnerving and scary than the entirety of Amnesia. But generally it's not as scary.

Oh phew. I can do with one scary part.

DigtialT

Oh yeah, forgot about the change of the pacifist run if you do the genocide run. Damn, genocide run just ruins everything no matter when you do it.

1upsuper

I don't think any artist will be mad if you use it, but if it's one FROM gaf, i'd recommend to ask. Personally i don't use avatars i didn't draw myself.

Thanks!

I picked up LISA after reading Onibarubary's thread, but...I can't bring myself to play anything right now. Undertale is still tumbling around in my head too much I guess. I keep just going back to the soundtrack or mashups or something instead lol.

JC Sera

my friend just sent me this (temmie relevant)
btw
I think I just encountered a "fucking with people who reload" thing
I offered to sell the burnt pan
then realized if I denied the first offer, I got a higher one
then denied that... and temmie said "you'll regret that"
so I reloaded
...and I think the Pan vanished

kurona_bright

Neo Member

Quoting this because jesus christ this is amazing.

Also, here's a cool remix of the opening tune: https://soundcloud.com/skythereptilefox/toby-radiation-fox-once-upon-a-time-adventure-remix-1

uKBFErW.gif

PYLP0OM.gif

gifs by this guy here: https://twitter.com/Everdraed

Geg

Ugh, I'm pretty sure I got one turn away from beating
Sans
and died because I only had one hp left when his attack started. Now I can't get back there again.

I'll probably just try again tomorrow, it's way too late for this crazy shit. Some of this stuff seems almost untested in terms of how impossible it is to dodge though

dity

Sans
and died because I only had one hp left when his attack started. Now I can't get back there again.

I'll probably just try again tomorrow, it's way too late for this crazy shit. Some of this stuff seems almost untested in terms of how impossible it is to dodge though

It's definitely beatable I think. I can get to the middle point of the battle fairly easy. After about 3 hours of practice I can get up to 1-2 dialogue boxes before the end
as the battle can only be advanced by trying to hit him
. The less turns spent healing, the less time to get near the end of the fight.
If you can, heal to max or near max HP when he's wanting to spare you. He won't attack at that time so you can use as many as you want

kurona_bright

Neo Member
Sans

It's definitely possible to dodge all the attacks - there's a run on youtube that someone did without getting hit once. It's pretty spectacular.
EDIT: Hahaha, holy crap this game is thorough. (hugely spoilery image below)
http://i.imgur.com/uN8Bdry.png
further edit: It's actually fake. oops.

Geg

It's definitely beatable I think. I can get to the middle point of the battle fairly easy. After about 3 hours of practice I can get up to 1-2 dialogue boxes before the end
as the battle can only be advanced by trying to hit him
. The less turns spent healing, the less time to get near the end of the fight.
If you can, heal to max or near max HP when he's wanting to spare you. He won't attack at that time so you can use as many as you want

Yeah I think I figured out what exactly my problem was, it's
near the end of the fight when attacks are rapidly changing, when he uses an attack that requires me to hold up to jump high followed immediately by another, usually when he's slamming me to one side of the box followed by another one from the same side, my finger is usually still holding the directional key but just about ready to let go, so I'll end up doing a short hop at the start of his next attack and get hit because of it. The timing is ridiculous.

And yeah I figured out that trick about healing. Doesn't help a whole lot though considering all the moments where one mistake means losing nearly all my health come after that. I wish I could buy more than one face steak

dity

Yeah I think I figured out what exactly my problem was, it's
near the end of the fight when attacks are rapidly changing, when he uses an attack that requires me to hold up to jump high followed immediately by another, usually when he's slamming me to one side of the box followed by another one from the same side, my finger is usually still holding the directional key but just about ready to let go, so I'll end up doing a short hop at the start of his next attack and get hit because of it. The timing is ridiculous.

And yeah I figured out that trick about healing. Doesn't help a whole lot though considering all the moments where one mistake means losing nearly all my health come after that. I wish I could buy more than one face steak

Yeah that shit ridiculous.
And when you finally figure out the timing, he goes back to a slow rapidly changing attack and bam you're acting way too fast now and you die

Kater

Banned
Drew a bit of everyone's favorite blook.

nGeVpIy.png
Nice work!

While listening to the ghost's theme on Youtube I read a comment pointing out that the name "Napstablook" is actually pronounced "Nap-stab-look" and is possibly a reference to a track called Walk-Stab-Walk.

While I'm not familiar with this track it is supposedly referencing it was still cool to discover this small detail with the pronunciation of the ghost's name.

Orcastar

Just finished my first run.
Would have gone full pacifist but couldn't figure out some of the bosses so I assumed that you can't spare them and ended up killing them. I guess I got a neutral ending.

Anyway, I don't really understand why this is getting so much praise. Sure, it's subversive and fun and all that, but I'd give it 8/10 at most. Don't really feel like playing through it all again just to get a different ending.

Dunkley

Would have gone full pacifist but couldn't figure out some of the bosses so I assumed that you can't spare them and ended up killing them. I guess I got a neutral ending.

Anyway, I don't really understand why this is getting so much praise. Sure, it's subversive and fun and all that, but I'd give it 8/10 at most. Don't really feel like playing through it all again just to get a different ending.

Then you won't understand why it gets so much praise.

The other two endings (True Pacifist and Genocide) have additional content and different final bosses and story. They don't only change the ending scene, but what leads up to it too. Being as short of a game as it is, it's meant to be played through multiple times.

Darkroronoa

Without a true pacifist run you actually miss a huge part of the story, not just a little different ending.

Not to mention unlocking the True Pacifist conditions
unlocks a brand new area for you to explore.

Was messing about with the Earthbound soundfont earlier today, and while it's obvious Amalgam instruments come from Cave of the Past, Ghost Battle and Dummy! instruments are taken from Moonside Cafe, which in turn is just a sample from The Little Rascals theme.

God these games are trippy.

Orcastar

The other two endings (True Pacifist and Genocide) have additional content and different final bosses and story. They don't only change the ending scene, but what leads up to it too. Being as short of a game as it is, it's meant to be played through multiple times.

Hmm, I guess I'll give it another go then.

dity

Yeah, it's not like a traditional RPG where only the ending changes or a Bioware RPG where most of the story sort of ignores whatever choices you make are.

Cowie

Checking in on steamspy (http://steamspy.com/app/391540), it looks like Undertale is estimated at around 60k copies now! It was 20k last time I looked. Word of mouth is doing wonders for it! And glowing reviews I'm sure.
It looks like the game is really starting to pick up ... steam
b0mb7pU.png

Dunkley

Not sure how spoilerific it is since it's really early Genocide Run stuff, but here's a fun fact I'll spoiler tag out of safety:

Regardless of how much you killed, looking at Sans's Puzzle Search seems to abort the Genocide Route. :v

dity

Not sure how spoilerific it is since it's really early Genocide Run stuff, but here's a fun fact I'll spoiler tag out of safety:

Regardless of how much you killed, looking at Sans's Puzzle Search seems to abort the Genocide Route. :v
But I looked at it, and am still trying to be killed by Sans.

dity

I got ahead of myself. The music is back to normal but the save point still tells me how much I need to kill. False alarm, sorry
FYI, If the counter gets stuck on "That comedian..." in Snowdin don't be alarmed. Just keep going until no one comes.

AHA-Lambda

I'm on my first pacifist playthrough about 5 hours in, and am at
Mettaton Ex
, how much left is there for this first run?

I'm still confused as to what this game is. I'm thinking about picking it up on Steam, but I'm not sure what it is as to decide if it appeals to me or not.

Please help? :)

Cowie

I'm still confused as to what this game is? I'm thinking about picking it up on Steam, but I'm not sure what it is as to decide if it appeals to me or not?

Please help? :)

It's a cute, quirky rpg-lite that gives you the option to negotiate your way out of every battle rather than fighting. There is an insane intention to detail and you may find yourself surprised at how many little touches have been put into the game to account for the various decisions you can make/actions you can take. If you like weird rpgs with a sense of a humor, I think it's 100% worth checking out. There's a demo! http://undertale.com/demo.htm

It's a cute, quirky rpg-lite that gives you the option to negotiate your way out of every battle rather than fighting. There is an insane intention to detail and you may find yourself surprised at how many little touches have been put into the game to account for the various decisions you can make/actions you can take. If you like weird rpgs with a sense of a humor, I think it's 100% worth checking out. There's a demo! http://undertale.com/demo.htm

The game is about humor and playing with your expectations. It's really fun.

Ahh, cheers guys, that's fantastic. Also, I like gamest that have great attention to detail and have unexpected things in them. That does sound appealing. Will check out the demo for sure and buy it if it appeals to me. Thanks.

Dunkley

I finished True Pacifist yesterday and I really want to try Genocide, but I'm terrified to start. Is it worth a playthrough?

Actually I've been wondering about the same thing.

So what happens if you beat the final boss of the Genocide Route but then just Reset prior to the final cutscene?
Does your game get tainted either way?

dity

Alright, tonight's the night. I'm gonna beat that boss tonight. Genocide's final boss is one hell of a fight.

Top Bottom