• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Thulius

Im going to admit something, i never played cave story but i was a bit familiar with it, and the first time i heard of undertale (long before the game came out) due to the name and how Toriel kinda looks like the creatures from Cave Story, i thought it was a spinoff.

For what it's worth I played a ton of Cave Story and thought the exact same thing right up until the day Undertale's steam page went up.

On one hand, I felt really dumb when I realized they weren't related at all. On the other, boy what a pleasant surprise Undertale was with no prior knowledge.

Orcastar

Just finished my true pacifist run. Wasn't sure I was gonna bother after my first neutral run, but I'm really glad I did. Elevated the game from an 8/10 to a 9/10 for me. It's still not my GOTY, but definitely one of the best games I've played this year.

The true pacifist ending
turned out to be the kind of tropey friendship conquers all nonsense found in dozens of JRPGs, but the characters managed to endear themselves to me and it was really well done friendship conquers all nonsense, and I'm a bit of a sucker for that sort of thing. Also really liked the implications of you as the player being the first child who was Azriel's friend.

I guess I'm supposed to do a
true reset followed by a genocide playthrough next
? Not sure I have the stomach for that...

goblin

The detail in the game is incredible. I completed a puzzle only to be told
that there's a dog in my inventory. Low and behold, there is indeed a dog in my inventory! The dog then takes the puzzle reward, the little shit. Later I discovered it left trash behind. Thanks, mate. This game.

I'm completely out of healing items and up to none other than
Undyne. I can last for awhile, but eventually the simultaneous slow arrow/fast arrow gets me in a form. Fantastic battle. I thought the Dummy was my favourite thus far, and then Undyne comes along. Might have to take the long walk back to the turtle, which is a phrase I never thought I'd say.

So, I don't know if this information will help you anymore, but if you completed that dog puzzle you actually have access to infinite free healing items.
Item Spoiler:
If you use the Dog Residue it'll fill up your inventory with other Dog Residue, but also has a chance to create a Dog Salad, a healing item that restores a random amount of HP. If you're patient you can farm an inventory full of Dog Salads by discarding and using residue, as long as you keep one residue in reserve. It also serves as a potentially infinite source of gold later.

Dunkley

Im going to admit something, i never played cave story but i was a bit familiar with it, and the first time i heard of undertale (long before the game came out) due to the name and how Toriel kinda looks like the creatures from Cave Story, i thought it was a spinoff.

There is absolutely no reason to not have played Cave Story.

While there is a Plus version around being an enhanced port of the WiiWare version, the original game is still free and as great as ever.

PS: Yeah Toriel reminded me of the Mimiga too. There's even a photoset going around poking fun at that.

Saikyo

Its a very good plataform game. Wait for a sale on steam or play the free version with a translation patch

PS: Yeah Toriel reminded me of the Mimiga too. There's even a photoset going around poking fun at that.

Guess who from Cave Story is being shipped with Toriel...

http://granphalloon.tumblr.com/post/130244872893/my-cave-story-undertale-crossover-fic-parts-1-and

NotLiquid

Oh yeah, speaking of the EB Halloween Hack (Undertale True Pacifist Spoilers)
Now that I remember; I think Flowey himself might be a sly reference to this particular moment in the Halloween Hack

q3dwvwm.png

Saikyo

So you are saying
Andonuts
experimented with
DETERMINATION
?

Also no easter egg naming
Varik
at the start of Undertale?

Dimmle

I'm at the point where I click on a spoiler tag and I don't even know if what I'm reading is a spoiler. Can we at least accompany spoiler boxes with "neutral ending," "pacifist ending," or "genocide ending"? As someone who has completed 2/3 of the main outcomes, this place is still a minefield.

Dunkley

I'm at the point where I click on a spoiler tag and I don't even know if what I'm reading is a spoiler. Can we at least accompany spoiler boxes with "neutral ending," "pacifist ending," or "genocide ending"? As someone who has completed 2/3 of the main outcomes, this place is still a minefield.

Well if you read the last two posts I'd say it's hardly a spoiler for anything but the Earthbound Halloween Hack made by Toby Fox.

Except well, PACIFIST run:
Flowey being an experiment.

Dimmle

Well if you read the last two posts I'd say it's hardly a spoiler for anything but the Earthbound Halloween Hack made by Toby Fox.

Except well, PACIFIST run:
Flowey being an experiment.

Oh, alright. I should probably just look for context clues. Sorry, Undertale inspires a special kind of paranoia.

NotLiquid

Well, I did specify in parenthesis what path it was a spoiler of. Didn't realize people wanted to adopt highlighting though. Edited that in.

Dunkley

Oh, alright. I should probably just look for context clues. Sorry, Undertale inspires a special kind of paranoia.

No, you're completely right to comment on this, it's infact why Earthpainting added a code for us to signify which spoilers we are talking about to make the thread a little bit less of a minefield for everyone still playing the game and not having seen all of it yet.

I just realised something, someone should really make a remix of

NEUTRAL run:

The Metatton opera (who is obviously inspired by FF6), with real voices!

I can't even find this scene on youtube except on let's play, :(

necrosis

this was a wonderful game. great soundtrack, memorable characters, and an engrossing story

the entire experience gave off a vibe similar to the games of the mother series, which is a very good thing. certainly it was the best experience i've had with a video game in a fair while

Dimmle

this was a wonderful game. great soundtrack, memorable characters, and an engrossing story

the entire experience gave off a vibe similar to the games of the mother series, which is a very good thing. certainly it was the best experience i've had with a video game in a fair while

it's left the largest impression I've had from a game since Mother 3 in my case, yeah

Dunkley

I just realised something, someone should really make a remix of

NEUTRAL run:

The Metatton opera (who is obviously inspired by FF6), with real voices!

I can't even find this scene on youtube except on let's play, :(

NEUTRAL run:

GAF Sings: Undertale - The Musical

Fun fact: That's what the program name changes to during that scene.

Goroh

NO MERCY run:
Finally finished the three routes. Man is
sans
hard as hell. Is there anything else to do or am i done?

this game really came out of nowhere for me, how did you guys find out about it?

Late to the party but, I saw it a lot back during the KS because lol Homestuck days, but I couldn't back it. Then Gigi DG played it as a play-tester and loved it, and Toby was tweeting about it a lot and I was convinced me to want it.

jonjonaug

Finally finished the three routes. Man is
sans
hard as hell. Is there anything else to do or am i done?

There's a couple of hidden-ish enemies (one random encounter and one boss from the $1000 Kickstarter tier) and a decent amount of hidden and obscure optional content (variations on random encounters, Sans' room and hidden room, developer room, etc.), but you've seen the majority of the content in the game.

ivb_1973

Banned
Genocide run:
Papyrus has a heart of gold. Sparing you automatically...

I love that little detail in the ruins with the frog that lets you
unable the yellow marker for sparing enemies
:
I won't need it anyway...

PSqueak

Banned
I thought (Pacifist run)
Asriel
was better.

I went nuts at (Pacifist run)
*But it Refused*

So fucking good.

I love them equally and see them as 2 parts of a whole because

Neutral run

Flowey is the embodiment of grimdark that you seemingly beat on this run but...

Pacifist run

...The battle against Asriel symbolizes the absolute triumph of innocence and happiness over it.

jiggles

Banned
Sooo, I finished my first run through just now. I had a nagging feeling throughout that I was doing it all wrong. I guess it was a neutral run? I don't know.

I killed two monsters near the beginning to see the effect of levelling up and that was it. Then Flowey asks me to do it killing nobody, so I'm thinking I just made things incredibly fucking difficult for most of the game running it as LV2 without getting the payoff of a pacifist run. I don't even know if I have the drive anymore to do everything all over again with 2 minutes of my experience at the beginning changed.

Sooo, I finished my first run through just now. I had a nagging feeling throughout that I was doing it all wrong. I guess it was a neutral run? I don't know.

I killed two monsters near the beginning to see the effect of levelling up and that was it. Then Flowey asks me to do it killing nobody, so I'm thinking I just made things incredibly fucking difficult for most of the game running it as LV2 without getting the payoff of a pacifist run. I don't even know if I have the drive anymore to do everything all over again with 2 minutes of my experience at the beginning changed.

A neutral path for the first playthrough is totally normal and expected (and IMO the best path to end your first run). Also the only thing being level 2 really does is having a lower maximum hp since you wouldn't attack anyway, and the game provides plenty of cheap healing items.

Why? Undertale is a better game and you don't have to learn Japanese to play it.

you know that mother 3 have an english fan translation right? Also what kind of argument is this? That you find a game better doesn't mean that the other isn't any good!

Everyone should play mother 2 and 3 in my opinion! Mother 2 is still my favorite regardless

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Why? Undertale is a better game and you don't have to learn Japanese to play it.

There is a fan translation.
However, I think Undertale is better.

Something was off about Mother 3, I can't put my finger on it.

you know that mother 3 have an english fan translation right? Also what kind of argument is this? That you find a game better doesn't mean that the other isn't any good!

Everyone should play mother 2 and 3 in my opinion! Mother 2 is still my favorite regardless

There is a fan translation.
However, I think Undertale is better.

Something was off about Mother 3, I can't put my finger on it.

Yeah I used the translation to play it. It wasn't really worth the bother. It's sort of an aimless bore of a game. Undertale is cheaper, easier to get a hold of, and a better game to boot.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Yeah I used the translation to play it. It wasn't really worth the bother. It's sort of an aimless bore of a game. Undertale is cheaper, easier to get a hold of, and a better game to boot.

I mean, it was not bad. Undertale is much of what I wanted from a Mother sequel.

Moonlight

Banned
Oh, come on.

Mother 3 (and Earthbound) is absolutely worth playing if you found yourself attracted to the overall atmosphere of Undertale. That's no guarantee you'll like it, of course, but there's a freely available fan translation available and the story and characters are well worth experiencing.

I don't really see how Undertale has to invalidate any of the experiences it derived much of its' inspiration from. There's really nothing closer you'll get if you're hungry for a similar experience.

Krabboss

Honestly makes about 0 sense to me that somebody could enjoy Undertale and consider Mother 3 a bore. The fan translation for Mother 3 is fantastic, too.

Calling Mother 3 aimless doesn't really make much sense to me either.

Saikyo

He is not the only one, tried to play Mother 3 well before playing Undertale and havent finished it. The bland DQ-esque battle keeps me away from playing : \ , make a hack with only the bosses and maybe I can finally complete it haha.

1upsuper

The chapter system of Mother 3 makes it the least aimless of the entire Mother series. :/ I really don't get that. I honestly feel that anyone that likes Undertale but dislikes the Mother series is a rarity. There's definitely a lot of good overlap between the two IPs.

Finished up my first Neutral/True Pacifist run. Man, this is easily my front runner for GOTY. Hell, I think this has to be a new personal favorite game of mine for sure.

I don't think I'll ever be able to play a Genocide run. I'm way too attached to the ensemble cast here that I wouldn't be able to go through with it. I'll probably just end up looking up some of the exclusive fighters later.

Corpekata

Banned
I can easily see someone being put off by the fairly basic battle systems in the Mother series. It's one of the greater strengths of Undertale, it has a very approachable system that doesn't feel as plodding as many older JRPG battle systems do.

Corpekata

Banned
Dev has said he doesn't have console plans anytime soon. I think he was probably caught off guard by how big of a hit it was, so he doesn't have anything set in stone.

There are also certain aspects that may be tough to reproduce on all platforms.

Top Bottom