• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Cowie

The chapter system of Mother 3 makes it the least aimless of the entire Mother series. :/ I really don't get that. I honestly feel that anyone that likes Undertale but dislikes the Mother series is a rarity. There's definitely a lot of good overlap between the two IPs.

I think it's certainly possible. If you don't like the rpg aspects of the mother series, there is very little chance you'll be able to enjoy the games. Not that there aren't a ton of other things to enjoy about the games, but if the fundamental RPG loop doesn't grab you it would be a real slog to make it through. There's still a lot of gameplay in those games.

Undertale skirts that by being very rpg-lite. There's something like maybe 12 pieces of equipment in the whole game? Limited enemy types, and depending on how you play there are certain rpg aspects of the game you don't have to engage with at all. It plays on RPG tropes and you'll get more out of it if you have played and enjoyed rpgs (particularly snes-era ones,) but the actual rpg gameplay is super thin. You can beat Undertale in the 10 hours it takes to decide you're not really feeling a typical rpg.

NotLiquid

Genocide Path Spoilers

CQmF_MaVAAAR1BN.png

Dimmle

Mother 3 is pretty clearly one of the predominant influences on Undertale. You can say it's now obsolete because Undertale is great but Undertale certainly doesn't agree with your bad argument.

It's a much more subdued game and Itoi's sense of humor isn't as brassy as Toby's and yeah, the battle system doesn't dazzle, but I think many players who enjoy Undertale will find something to like there. It has a very distinct tone. In a lot of ways, it's much weirder. Some people will be repelled by that and others will adore it.

PSqueak

Banned
True Lab Spoilers:
Halloween hack enemy, remember me
True Lab enemy
so cold

btw after beating the game
did anyone else backtrack to see amalgrams with their families? Snowdrake :')

I found amusing that Dogamy and Dogeressa mused about their relationship technically being incest now that they were technically related because their parents had been spliced together as an amalgamate, also how all the dogs were now a big happy family

Mother 3 is pretty clearly one of the predominant influences on Undertale. You can say it's now obsolete because Undertale is great but Undertale certainly doesn't agree with your bad argument.

It's a much more subdued game and Itoi's sense of humor isn't as brassy as Toby's and yeah, the battle system doesn't dazzle, but I think many players who enjoy Undertale will find something to like there. It has a very distinct tone. In a lot of ways, it's much weirder. Some people will be repelled by that and others will adore it.

Definitely. I finished it this weekend and I enjoyed my experience, but it doesn't match the experience the Mother series had for me personally.

Dimmle

Definitely. I finished it this weekend and I enjoyed my experience, but it doesn't match the experience the Mother series had for me personally.

I think they're both great flavors of ice cream but yeah, it's kind of hard to equate this game that literally just came out with something that's influenced my taste for ten years. I don't think Toby was aiming to somehow quantitatively surpass Mother 3, either. They're different games that share similar spirits that should coexist. If Undertale persuades some thoughtful players to dig into its influences, that's amazing. People should treat art as vectors for more art and not products to be compared like bags of grapes.

MrHoot

I think they're both great flavors of ice cream but yeah, it's kind of hard to equate this game that literally just came out with something that's influenced my taste for ten years. I don't think Toby was aiming to somehow quantitatively surpass Mother 3, either. They're different games that share similar spirits that should coexist. If Undertale persuades some thoughtful players to dig into its influences, that's amazing. People should treat art as vectors for more art and not products to be compared like bags of grapes.

Yeah. It's exactly why I think Undertale is so great. While it does take a lot of influences from Mother/Earthbound, it doesn't try to BE Mother, it is it's own distinct thing.

Dimmle

It's definitely to Undertale's betterment that it isn't slavishly devoted to being a Mother tribute. There have been a handful of games recently that have tried to emulate Earthbound a little too closely without establishing much of an identity of their own and they've fallen flat because either the writing isn't there or the battle system is, well, a bad version of Earthbound's (which is, by some accounts, a less than ideal battle system in the first place).

Innovating with its battle system is the smartest decision Undertale could have made.

GSR

It's definitely to Undertale's betterment that it isn't slavishly devoted to being a Mother tribute. There have been a handful of games recently that have tried to emulate Earthbound a little too closely without establishing much of an identity of their own and they've fallen flat because either the writing isn't there or the battle system is, well, a bad version of Earthbound's (which is, by some accounts, a less than ideal battle system in the first place).

Innovating with its battle system is the smartest decision Undertale could have made.

I really do love Undertale's battle system. It's simple, yet allows for plenty of twists as the game goes on (as well as some really fantastic gags), and of course the "FIGHT" vs. "ACT/MERCY" option means the system itself plays a key part in the themes of the game.

Dimmle

I really do love Undertale's battle system. It's simple, yet allows for plenty of twists as the game goes on (as well as some really fantastic gags), and of course the "FIGHT" vs. "ACT/MERCY" option means the system itself plays a key part in the themes of the game.

I think my jaw dropped about once per boss fight just due to the way it's constantly turning its own conventions on their sides (sometimes literally).

GSR

I think my jaw dropped about once per boss fight just due to the way it's constantly turning its own conventions on their sides (sometimes literally).

It's also the rare battle system where defending is more interesting than attacking, which again dovetails perfectly with the game's messages.

dity

Honestly makes about 0 sense to me that somebody could enjoy Undertale and consider Mother 3 a bore. The fan translation for Mother 3 is fantastic, too.

Calling Mother 3 aimless doesn't really make much sense to me either.
I like Earthbound but have tried twice to play Mother 3 but never get too far.

Looking forward to Mother 4 though. I'm on that early list to get the game as soon as it's done.

Dimmle

Yeah... that'll do it... Oof.

Also, Mother 3 fans are aggressively evangelical and that's always a bad way to turn someone onto something. I am guilty of this, believe it or not.

(p sure Undertale fans are the new Mother 3 fan, though)

The Hermit

just finished and got the true ending.

God. I cried. Last game that did that was not surprisingly Mother 3.

Also, Flowey was probably the first game character to really scare me
first when she called me out after killing my "mom" and when I was watching a genocide run on youtube (what the fuck was that?!)

Holy crap.

Since I read about and watched Lisa I wanted something like Earthbound but not full disturbing and creepy and more a bit of that and more lighthearted game and this just hitted that sweet spot.

Amazing game and awesome soundtrack too.

Decided to buy the soundtrack (on bandcamp so Valve can't get all of the money) after watching someone play through the main routes/endings.
I really like this game's music, and the writing is a very strong point of it, though I think some of the jokes are way too drawn out.

I believe Mother 3 is better, though obviously that game had a more experienced writer and a lot bigger budget behind it. This is certainly a good game, though.

dity

just finished and got the true ending.

God. I cried. Last game that did that was not surprisingly Mother 3.

Also, Flowey was probably the first game character to really scare me
first when she called me out after killing my "mom" and when I was watching a genocide run on youtube (what the fuck was that?!)

Holy crap.

Since I read about and watched Lisa I wanted something like Earthbound but not full disturbing and creepy and more a bit of that and more lighthearted game and this just hitted that sweet spot.

Amazing game and awesome soundtrack too.
My partner was quite scared of Flowey too. She'd peek out from under the blanket she was snuggling as we played whenever he showed up.

Maximo

Man
Asgore
keeps kicking my ass, no money to buy decent food.
Holy fuck *Major Ending Spoilers*
What in the living hell was that Flowery fight my god I thought someone slipped acid into my drink, think I got the neutral ending? Wasn't sure on beating the game again but looks like Ill have to.

CCS

Banned
Just bought after watching my friend play some of it. I love this game so much already and I'm only just out of the ruins.

Man
Asgore
What in the living hell was that Flowery fight my god I thought someone slipped acid into my drink, think I got the neutral ending? Wasn't sure on beating the game again but looks like Ill have to.

the first run is always a neutral ending

PACIFIST run:

If you didn't kill anything, you can just reload your last save and befriend everyone in order to have this ending

If you did kill something, just reset your save file(meaning restart from the beginning) without killing anything and befriending everyone! Then do the final fight again, finish the game, reload the game and go back to MTT to have a new phone call, and that's it, just follow what happen

Or you could do the no mercy run first

NO MERCY run:

You basically have to kill everything, in each area, you must kill every random encounter untill there's nothing anymore, random encounter will said "but nobody came"

dity

Man
Asgore
Oh man

I LOVED that ending. Def my fav. It was like a better version of Earthbound's final boss

I just realised something with the final fight with

NEUTRAL run:

Flowey! It's quite obvious actually, i should have seen that sooner! But every weapon and armor you find during your adventure belongs to the other human fallen before you, the 6 souls! When you fight flowey, in the souls section, it's all the weapon (toy knife, bandage, ballet shoes, etc...) that are used!

I keep discovering things in this game, god it's so good

Maximo

Oh man

I LOVED that ending. Def my fav. It was like a better version of Earthbound's final boss

What I fucking cool fight after the game closed and I tried to reopen it, I legit closed the game three times when it froze thinking "Fuck the game isn't working now that's bullshit!" Frustrated I tried it again only to be greeted by what I thought to be a bugged game then nope Flowery messing me shit up turning into that Acid Creature.
]
Haven't seen a game mess with me like that in a long time.

dity

What I fucking cool fight after the game closed and I tried to reopen it, I legit closed the game three times when it froze thinking "Fuck the game isn't working now that's bullshit!" Frustrated I tried it again only to be greeted by what I thought to be a bugged game then nope Flowery messing me shit up turning into that Acid Creature.
]
Haven't seen a game mess with me like that in a long time.
And what about about how it
renames the game windows and shows up with Flowey's save file on the main menu

shmoglish

So, you can finish the game in under 10 hours? Want to play a short game and the reviews are great (ok, the numbers are, may have to read one or two). Maybe I should buy it.

And what about about how it
renames the game windows and shows up with Flowey's save file on the main menu

NEUTRAL run:

i would love to see some live reaction on a playthrough for the first crash and then relaunching the game!
Didn't find that yet, it's always edited and they already know what happen! hope we'll see it on the commanderholly or game grumps channel

So, you can finish the game in under 10 hours? Want to play a short game and the reviews are great (ok, the numbers are, may have to read one or two). Maybe I should buy it.

Yup, my first playthrough i finished it in 6 hours! But with all endings it took me 20 hours, and trust me, it's worth it, this game is meant to be played multiple time

dity

You can finish it in 10 hours yes, and around 20-30 for extra content. I played for 25 before feeling satisfied and finally putting the game down.

shmoglish

Yup, my first playthrough i finished it in 6 hours! But with all endings it took me 20 hours, and trust me, it's worth it, this game is meant to be played multiple time

I got two endings in 9 and a half hours.

You can finish it in 10 hours yes, and around 20-30 for extra content. I played for 25 before feeling satisfied and finally putting the game down.

This and the impressions in this thread sound good, will buy and play it this weekend.

Thank you very much. One last question: Game has controller support, right? I prefer playing games on tv.

Dmax3901

So I just finished, and because I started the game not knowing what the hell I was doing (see my earlier posts in this thread), my character was a ... confused young lady.

My ending was kinda lackluster however.

Killed Asgore, did I have a choice? Then crazy awesome Flowey bossfight, who told me to play again without killing anyone (which kinda sucks cause I didn't kill anyone except a few early monsters out of confusion, spared literally everyone else) Then Undyne takes over and is gonna invade? :(

Might playthrough again, what does everyone suggest doing on the second run through, any things that I might've easily missed on my first try?

Dunkley

This and the impressions in this thread sound good, will buy and play it this weekend.

Thank you very much. One last question: Game has controller support, right? I prefer playing games on tv.

Yep, played through this entirely with a SNES USB controller on my TV.

You only need keyboard input to go full screen and to quit the game.

dity

Yup it does. You can configure what buttons do what, however you're still gonna need to press f4 for fullscreen and hold ESC to close the game.

I played the whole game with an Xbox One controller. It even supports analog sticks.

Dunkley

Also, on the Mother 3 stuff I think it's a great game, but I never got the chance to play it properly besides a bit when I was visiting a friend in America.

My biggest gripe with it is that besides unpatched cartridges without crazy shipping being hard to find (Don't trust the patched ones), that the beat based battle system is kinda inconvenient if you imagine you're gonna be playing soundless if you are in public.

Otherwise it's a really good game and definitely a good succesor to Earthbound. Anyone who has a way of getting a cartridge should give it a spin.

Krabboss

So I just finished, and because I started the game not knowing what the hell I was doing (see my earlier posts in this thread), my character was a ... confused young lady.

My ending was kinda lackluster however.

Killed Asgore, did I have a choice? Then crazy awesome Flowey bossfight, who told me to play again without killing anyone (which kinda sucks cause I didn't kill anyone except a few early monsters out of confusion, spared literally everyone else) Then Undyne takes over and is gonna invade? :(

Might playthrough again, what does everyone suggest doing on the second run through, any things that I might've easily missed on my first try?

I'd recommend going True Pacifist next. I'm not sure about things you might have missed. I'd probably just speed through all the stuff you've already seen and get to the new content.

Dimmle

My biggest gripe with it is that besides unpatched cartridges without crazy shipping being hard to find (Don't trust the patched ones), that the beat based battle system is kinda inconvenient if you imagine you're gonna be playing soundless if you are in public.

Otherwise it's a really good game and definitely a good succesor to Earthbound. Anyone who has a way of getting a cartridge should give it a spin.
I never play handhelds on commutes so this has never occurred to me. That said, Sakai's soundtrack is stellar so I can't imagine playing without it.

Cowie

Depending on your controller, you may want to go into the key configuration from the title screen and turn down the analog sensitivity. Some people have had trouble with the inputs being a bit jumpy when using analog, but ideally turning down the sensitivity should fix it?

NEUTRAL run:

i would love to see some live reaction on a playthrough for the first crash and then relaunching the game!
Didn't find that yet, it's always edited and they already know what happen! hope we'll see it on the commanderholly or game grumps channel

I don't know about a NEUTRAL run, but VoidBurger might fulfill that in her Pacifist Run playthrough.

A friend of mine tried the game on my Steam account and asked me "what's so great about this?"

I don't even know how to respond to that. I guess if it doesn't click, it just doesn't click.

Top Bottom