• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Dimmle

Boy, press outlets that haven't reviewed this game are going to feel preeeeetty silly when it ends up in every spot of everyone's Top 10 list forever.

I wrote a very thorough review on Undertale:

GjmP0qs.png

dickroach

just finished my first playthrough. took a few tries to kill
Flowey
, but I did it. I guess I went down the evil path.

I guess I'll start another playthrough in which there will be no attacking? that's the way to do it? I dunno. I'm definitely curious to see more of this game.

just finished my first playthrough. took a few tries to kill
Flowey
, but I did it. I guess I went down the evil path.

I guess I'll start another playthrough in which there will be no attacking? that's the way to do it? I dunno. I'm definitely curious to see more of this game.

sound like you went down the neutral path actually? the genocide path is the most "evil" path and is a bit more complicated.

Scott667

Finished the game with the best ending, definitely a fantastic game from start to finish.

Quick question though: what causes the enemies names to be yellow in the credits? I never harmed a single enemy, yet some of the enemy names were white.

Puruzi

Banned
Finished the game with the best ending, definitely a fantastic game from start to finish.

Quick question though: what causes the enemies names to be yellow in the credits? I never harmed a single enemy, yet some of the enemy names were white.

You have to spare them in a way that makes them happy.

dity

After I think about five hours over the course of two days, I finally beat
Sans.

I actually went back to Grillby's to see if his body would be there lol

This game really did not want you to kill everything.
After the Sans fight I was just giving the last but of the game the middle finger until it shut off lmao

You have to spare them in a way that makes them happy.
I read you had to spare every single one of an enemy.

jonjonaug

Most enemies this simply means that you spared them. Some enemies have certain methods of using the ACT command or special encounters that will cause their text to change in the ending.

Speaking of which, is there a guide for that? I know that an
all yellow text run
is actually a speed run category that some people are playing with, so I assume it exists but I'm having trouble Googling it.

How long is this game? I wanna try to finish it tomorrow.

Doing a Pacifist run the first time through so I didn't have to replay the full game again and checking out everything I could think of took me about eight and a half hours.

Puruzi

Banned
After the Sans fight I was just giving the last but of the game the middle finger until it shut off lmao

I read you had to spare every single one of an enemy.

That's not the case, for enemies like icecap the text won't be yellow if you steal his hat and such.

dickroach

sound like you went down the neutral path actually? the genocide path is the most "evil" path and is a bit more complicated.

oh damn. there's 3 paths?
at the end I
tried to spare Asgore, and then ended up killing Flowey when prompted.
gonna go back and play that last battle and try some other things

then I'll start a new game. I feel like a I missed a lot

oh damn. there's 3 paths?
at the end I
tried to spare Asgore, and then ended up killing Flowey when prompted.
gonna go back and play that last battle and try some other things

then I'll start a new game. I feel like a I missed a lot

Definitely go for the True Pacifist ending when you start again (which involves more than reaching the end sans killing! follow the advice you're given at the end), it's what really makes the game a classic in my eyes.

Then, if you're feeling sinister, go for the Genocide ending.

How much endings are there? I just finished the game for the first time only killing
Toriel and Undyne
and I plan to do the true ending.

BTW, that ending's nuts.

Granjinha

How much endings are there? I just finished the game for the first time only killing
Toriel and Undyne
and I plan to do the true ending.

BTW, that ending's nuts.

There are a lot of variations of the neutral ones. There's true pacifist. There's genocide. And true pacifist after a genocide run.

dity

There are a lot of variations of the neutral ones. There's true pacifist. There's genocide. And true pacifist after a genocide run.

Although apparently the differences on that last one are so miniscule that I'm not sure it's worth another playthrough just to see it.

PSqueak

Banned
Anyone know what happens if you
choose "I got places to be" at the end of true pacifist

Instead of the pie scene you get a Photo of frisk and the gang, if you do it after the genocide run, everyone else is crossed out and Chara is smiling

dity

Instead of the pie scene you get a Photo of frisk and the gang, if you do it after the genocide run, everyone else is crossed out and Chara is smiling

And if you choose to stay with Toriel after she asks you get to see Chara be really excited for pie.

TWILT

Banned
Well...I just finished Undertale and got the True Ending. That was probably the most heartfelt ending I've felt in a long time. Like honestly, I probably haven't played a game with a more satisfying ending in a long time since...what, Persona 4 maybe? Either way, it's probably my game of the year and will likely stay that way (unless Xenoblade X blows my mind somehow, I dunno).

I'm...not sure if I'll play the game again. I'm not gonna delete it off my laptop, but I don't really want touch the game for at least a long while. Don't really have much interest (nor do I quite frankly have the courage to do it lol) to do the "Genocide" ending I keep hearing about. Maybe I'll watch an LP of it on Youtube? We'll see I guess.

ANYWAY, general thoughts:
  • Papyrus is probably my favorite character, though I really really did love everyone in the cast. Papyrus was just...too damn cool lol. "YOU'RE BLUE NOW" was one of the most surprising enemy attacks in the game.
  • His date was fantastic too and one of the funniest in the game. I loved that I met all his standards haha.
  • Sans was pretty great too. I loved taking breaks with him haha. The way you can get the key to his room was really damn cool too.
  • Undyne's cooking lesson was probably my second favorite moment of hilarity.
  • AlphysxUndyne is adorable.
  • I'm pretty sure Tsunderplane was my favorite enemy in the game.
  • Mettaton EX was my favorite boss in the game respectively and the music was so cool and ending...so sad. ;_;
  • The True Lab stuff was, uh, pretty twisted and mind blowing gotta say.
  • I love how you can "skip" all the dog fights by using the Stick to play fetch with them. Including the one in the True Lab for some reason haha.
  • The reveal with Asriel at the end was...I didn't see coming, but makes sense now that I think about it. Was pretty sad and heartfelt all the same.
  • DETERMINATION. I really loved how Toby used this theme in the game. I felt really involved as the player.
  • During the Neutral Ending, gotta say the whole Flower boss was so freaky and when I thought my game crashed...GODDAMN. That was really CRAZY with a capital C.
  • BUT IT REFUSED.
  • The music in this game was SO DAMN FANTASTIC AND AWESOME.
  • The whole true ending sequence was like the most anime thing ever AND I LOVED EVERY SINGLE MINUTE OF IT.
  • I...had to choose to stay with Toriel. It only seemed right. :)

so yeah I loved this game quite a bit I guess

ivb_1973

Banned
True pacifist ending:
Ouch, am I the one that felt the True Ending was worst than Neutral for it's animey approach? Don't get it wrong, even then I thought it was a nice addition, except for all the Chara stuff.

I googled the genocide ending to understand some things of True pacifist but there is one thing I still don't get it (might try to do genocide myself...)
How could Chara put on Frisk's body, didn't he die with Asriel's body? What is the meaning of you naming Chara's name and not Frisk's? Is he the Devil?

True spoilers about one of the most deep layers of the game:
Everything involving the one that speaks in hands is... legitimate creepy. I hope there is a real answer to all. Maybe if you do genocide enough times he might appear...

MAN I really love this game. It ligers in your mind after you beat it and it is as if it's presence won't wear off... powerful and scary.

dity

I googled the genocide ending to understand some things of True pacifist but there is one thing I still don't get it (might try to do genocide myself...)
How could Chara put on Frisk's body, didn't he die with Asriel's body? What is the meaning of you naming Chara's name and not Frisk's? Is he the Devil?

Obvious spoilers but:
Chara says she was reincarnated. So you're basically her reincarnation, I guess.

Dunkley

Spoiler question about the game's soundtrack:

What's the deal with the track "Song That Might Play When You Fight Sans"? I assumed it would be a battle track against him in a neutral playthrough but you only ever fight him in the genocide route. Is that entire track just meant to be a red herring to hide what his boss fight is actually like?

It doesn't play anywhere, it's just meant to be a red herring.

I like the track however, sound wise it really reminds me of Vriska's music in Homestuck.

True pacifist ending:
Ouch, am I the one that felt the True Ending was worst than Neutral for it's animey approach? Don't get it wrong, even then I thought it was a nice addition, except for all the Chara stuff.

Everything involving the one that speaks in hands is... legitimate creepy. I hope there is a real answer to all. Maybe if you do genocide enough times he might appear...

MAN I really love this game. It ligers in your mind after you beat it and it is as if it's presence won't wear off... powerful and scary.

1.)
No, if you are more into Nightmare Fuel or Fourth Wall Breaking it's understandable that you might prefer the Neutral Ending. Flowey as final boss is definitely an experience Asriel's can't match

2.)
Human souls can persist long after death. My guess is that due to Asriel dying, it just fell through the floor and returned to its' original body, only to later posess Frisk after he fell where Toriel buried the Fallen Human's body. That's all just a canon explaination for what is essentially us, the character, taking control of Frisk although even he himself is his own character. The reason behind him is that he reflects the demon players carry in themselves which makes them do bad things after being a good person in games after they exhausted all the happiness they can give to those characters. After we did all the good things we can, seeing all the dialogue of them being happy and stuff, we get curious about what happens if they don't get a happy ending and instead suffer. That's the reason he says he's the demon that will always be there when people call him is because curiousity about the other content of a game always gets the best of us, and comes out in us either by playing that content ourselves or watching on YouTube how all those character we had made happy once are now in a hell of suffering. We are the demons here, and curiousity is our drive.It's our game, so we should have the power to see all it has to offer to us, even if it means all those characters are aware of what you're doing and are suffering after being happy. After all, it's just a game, right?

3.)
Although it's just a theory, given how the game else plays with the thought of characters being self-aware, Gaster is most likely meant to be self-aware cut content. In normal games the world works without certain characters being in just as well as with them, so Gaster lamenting the world working the same without him would fit right in.

ivb_1973

Banned
Gaster is self aware cut content.., that makes sense. I think you might be right. So there might not be a weird conspiracy.
As for the Chara thing, I am also sympathizing with the possession theory. He might hid on it's own body until you arrive, and when you kill a lot he "reincarnates" on Frisk's body. If not its influence is diminished until he disappears.
But the bandage Frisk carries... and the one that is torn on Chara's tombstone... that makes me doubt...

dity

Spoilers in regards to the Genocide ending:

Chara says that upping your stats basically revived her. In that sense, you sort of made her powerful by playing the way you do in Genocide run. That essentially means that in the True Pacifist run Chara still exists within you, just dormant(?)

True pacifist ending:

it's true that the true pacifist ending is a bit too anime-like, but since you grove so much attached to the character, it's bother me a bit less...

also doing the true pacifist ending after you did the genocide run might help you getting out of this goody-goody feeling, i personally don't regret doing that, haha

i love when a game makes me feel like shit (i'm weird)

Dunkley

Gaster is self aware cut content.., that makes sense. I think you might be right. So there might not be a weird conspiracy.
As for the Chara thing, I am also sympathizing with the possession theory. He might hid on it's own body until you arrive, and when you kill a lot he "reincarnates" on Frisk's body. If not its influence is diminished until he disappears.
But the bandage Frisk carries... and the one that is torn on Chara's tombstone... that makes me doubt...

Just to note, I added more to my second answer to answer the Chara and Demon situation better. Sorry for not typing it out from the get go.

Spoilers in regards to the Genocide ending:

Chara says that upping your stats basically revived her. In that sense, you sort of made her powerful by playing the way you do in Genocide run. That essentially means that in the True Pacifist run Chara still exists within you, just dormant(?)

Chara grows with Frisk's SOUL, but gains dominance the more EXP and LOVE she gains, meaning of course over thousands of True Pacifist playthrough, Frisk's SOUL grows powerful, but due to the fact that only one Genocide Playthrough is enough for Chara to break even and then gain the dominance, all further growth of SOUL will always have Chara growing stronger with it too. In a post-Genocide True Pacifist playthrough, she's just dormant and waiting for the right time to assume control. After all, getting to the surface is very convinient for her, so she just lets Frisk do her thing and then comes out after all the happy yadda-yadda is over.

Dunkley

Also, sorry for the double post, but since I really don't want to be quoted with all those spoilers there by anyone who hasn't finished and seen the game to its' entirety, I just wanted to say a good friend of mine recently started an ask blog about Alphys.

Throw her some questions if you want, or if you got an own tumblr, throw her a follow if you want. She's a really great person and I'm sure she'd appreciate it.

Also, now I'm considering doing a Temmie ask blog for shits and giggles. Good idea, bad idea?

ivb_1973

Banned
Perfect idea! I will, at least, read your entries.

I think I'm starting to understand.
So, Chara is more like a fourth-wall-breaking-meta thing. Justified narratively by the fact that human souls doesn't disappear. I guess I will buy that seeing that everyhing else, and what it unleashes, is just so awesome.

Does that game like to make you overthink jajajaj

PS: I also love tragic stories more than goddy-goddy let's-all-fight-with-the-power-of-friendship ones.

so i just best the game and i guess i got the
neutral ending

i only killed Toriel and a couple other monsters, i also missed out on alot of side stuff from what i can tell so i have to ask what run should i do next Pacifist or Genocide?

Krabboss

neutral ending

i only killed Toriel and a couple other monsters, i also missed out on alot of side stuff from what i can tell so i have to ask what run should i do next Pacifist or Genocide?

True Pacifist
is the only way.

Dunkley

neutral ending

Pacifist definitely, Genocide kinda sets itself up to be done last, but you should play whichever you want first.

Top Bottom