• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Dunkley

yeah i'm thinking Pacifist first but do i need to help every random enemy? also how to you not kill Toriel?

You just don't kill anyone. Helping the enemies is merely a bonus but not necessary. Sparing Toriel simply works by constantly clicking Spare until she gives up.

you just spare her at every turn until it stops

Also, can somebody create a spoiler thread for this game? I'm tired of theses black lines, haha

Well, this is basically the Undertale Spoiler thread given that black lines decorate the majority of this thread.

I just feel like it would be pretty empty if it wasn't for the spoiler discussion.

Ruff

Last boss of Neutral/Pacifist...

Oh my god.
I'm going to have nightmares for the rest of my life. The music was completely on point in nearly every single encounter.

dity

You just don't kill anyone. Helping the enemies is merely a bonus but not necessary. Sparing Toriel simply works by constantly clicking Spare until she gives up.

Well, this is basically the Undertale Spoiler thread given that black lines decorate the majority of this thread.

I just feel like it would be pretty empty if it wasn't for the spoiler discussion.
It would be.

Dunkley

Hell, maybe we need to figure out what's really spoiler worthy and what's not?

everything is so important that everything can be considered spoilery... maybe we could turn this thread into a spoiler fest after a certain time, and warning people in the OP that they can encounter lot of spoiler!

The detail in the game is incredible. I completed a puzzle only to be told
that there's a dog in my inventory. Low and behold, there is indeed a dog in my inventory! The dog then takes the puzzle reward, the little shit. Later I discovered it left trash behind. Thanks, mate. This game.

The variety in both enemies and boss fights are really enjoyable, and the music somehow manages to keep getting better and better. The use of foreground/background throughout the levels is fantastic, and the use of silhouette on the characters for atmosphere is so well done. I've been really shocked by how beautiful some of levels are, too.

I'm completely out of healing items and up to none other than
Undyne. I can last for awhile, but eventually the simultaneous slow arrow/fast arrow gets me in a form. Fantastic battle. I thought the Dummy was my favourite thus far, and then Undyne comes along. Might have to take the long walk back to the turtle, which is a phrase I never thought I'd say.

I can't get over the freakin' soundtrack! I haven't heard a dud or dull piece of music thus far.

dity

everything is so important that everything can be considered spoilery... maybe we could turn this thread into a spoiler fest after a certain time, and warning people in the OP that they can encounter lot of spoiler!
Maybe the assumption should be that everyone has at least experienced the neutral run of the game or something.

Cowie

Hell, maybe we need to figure out what's really spoiler worthy and what's not?

I think the problem is that so much of this game is experiential, virtually everything is a spoiler to some degree. I feel like people who haven't played it should only know like.. the bare minimum they need to give it a shot, the more opportunities the game has to surprise you and catch you off guard, the better. Especially since it's a relatively small game that is spreading through word of mouth, and hasn't even seen a sale yet, people could be newly discovering it for some time to come.

dity

I think the problem is that so much of this game is experiential, virtually everything is a spoiler to some degree. I feel like people who haven't played it should only know like.. the bare minimum they need to give it a shot, the more opportunities the game has to surprise you and catch you off guard, the better. Especially since it's a relatively small game that is spreading through word of mouth, and hasn't even seen a sale yet, people could be newly discovering it for some time to come.
How about we put "unmarked spoilers" in the thread title?

All discussion's basically in spoilers, and other than that it's usually just people asking for tips lol.

Cowie

How about we put "unmarked spoilers" in the thread title?

All discussion's basically in spoilers, and other than that it's usually just people asking for tips lol.

I would say just create a spoiler thread, which is pretty much the general protocol around these parts anyway? If this thread dies, it dies.

dity

I would say just create a spoiler thread, which is pretty much the general protocol around these parts anyway? If this thread dies, it dies.
Well. I guess this thread will soon be on life support if a full member bothers to make one.

Dunkley

It doesn't answer the question however what is considered a spoiler, considering everything from the start in the Ruins to the relevation after having experienced the Genocide and True Pacifist Route is a spoiler to some degree due to the experimental nature of the game and how much it offers to the players for doing things differently.

I say it's fine like this, because while this thread is basically a pile of dark lines, people can come in and dicuss spoilers of varying degrees and click them to their own discretion while not spoilering anyone else who doesn't already know about it.

It doesn't answer the question however what is considered a spoiler, considering everything from the start in the Ruins to the relevation after having experienced the Genocide and True Pacifist Route is a spoiler to some degree due to the experimental nature of the game and how much it offers to the players for doing things differently.

I say it's fine like this, because while this thread is basically a pile of dark lines, people can come in and dicuss spoilers of varying degrees and click them to their own discretion while not spoilering anyone else who doesn't already know about it.
I agree with this. Due to the nature of the game, it's still kind of easy to spoil someone, even if they've essentially already beaten the game. I do think it may be helpful to be mindful about clarifying which type of run you're talking about. Something like adding highlighted tags could help:
[B]NEUTRAL run:[/B]
[B]PACIFIST run:[/B]
[B]NO MERCY run:[/B]​

NEUTRAL run:
Flowey is a shit, petting is the shit, and anime is real.
There's no BBCode to add specific colours for extra clarification sadly enough, but I guess this would help make it easier to wade through for those that haven't explored all possible paths.

I agree with this. Due to the nature of the game, it's still kind of easy to spoil someone, even if they've essentially already beaten the game. I do think it may be helpful to be mindful about clarifying which type of run you're talking about. Something like adding highlighted tags could help:

NEUTRAL run:
There's no BBCode to add specific colours for extra clarification sadly enough, but I guess this would help make it easier to wade through for those that haven't explored all possible paths.

nice idea, i'll keep these! Someone should put them in the OP

dity

NEUTRAL run:
That's a lot of tags for when you're on mobile. D:

Dunkley

NEUTRAL run:

That sounds perfect. Could you add this to the OP?

Dunkley

this game really came out of nowhere for me, how did you guys find out about it?

Friend on Steam was playing it, asked them about the game, checked out the Steam page, saw who made it, sold.

Given that I bought all the Homestuck albums, this game and later the soundtrack, Toby got a fair share of money from me at this point.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
A friend showed me a video of the demo and bought it a tiny bit after it came out. It's probably my best gaming purchase of the year.

Kurtofan

A friend showed me a video of the demo and bought it a tiny bit after it came out. It's probably my best gaming purchase of the year.

Yeah same, I had never heard anything about it too! A let's player I follow posted a video called "why I think you should buy Undertale" and I just bought it.

Ferrio

Banned
Started playing last night, trying to be pacifist. Made it to the title screen, damn this game doesn't hold back the feels.

Dimmle

I heard rumblings on Twitter (Gigi D.G. mostly) and then a friend suggested that I might like it and turned me on to the trailer and once I saw the Mother vibes I was a goner.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I heard of this game through word of mouth, and decided to try the demo. I was mildly curious and proceeded to buy the game. I completely fell in love with it after leaving the Ruins.

MrHoot

Finished my true pacifist run today. This game gave me such pure joy and heartbreaks, it was fantastic. Although I dont' want to touch it again,
I don't want to undo everything i've done. I don't think i'd forgive myself

kurona_bright

Neo Member
this game really came out of nowhere for me, how did you guys find out about it?

Came across the demo like a year+ ago. Can't remember why, but it was after the kickstarter had already finished. But I kept a eye on it ever since then, and the chatter from the artists I followed meant I didn't miss the release date. :)

NotLiquid

Been a huge fan of Toby's works since his Starmen days. His Homestuck music inspired me to make music of my own (and even be lucky enough to get into one of the albums), and overall I'd been looking forward to what his next big thing was going to be.

After finding out about Undertale I made the hard choice of going on a complete media blackout for the game up until release though. That said it paid off so much.

If anyone wants even more of a bad time, people should check out his Earthbound Halloween Hack.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Been a huge fan of Toby's works since his Starmen days. His Homestuck music inspired me to make music of my own (and even be lucky enough to get into one of the albums), and overall I'd been looking forward to what his next big thing was going to be.

After finding out about Undertale I made the hard choice of going on a complete media blackout for the game up until release though. That said it paid off so much.

If anyone wants even more of a bad time, people should check out his Earthbound Halloween Hack.

Yeah I think I'll go through that after I finally complete Earthbound which I'll get to after this last run of Undertale.

PSqueak

Banned
Saw someone on twitter (jokingly) comparing the game to cave story (I think it was a parody account of game theory) so I tried it.

Im going to admit something, i never played cave story but i was a bit familiar with it, and the first time i heard of undertale (long before the game came out) due to the name and how Toriel kinda looks like the creatures from Cave Story, i thought it was a spinoff.

dity

Im going to admit something, i never played cave story but i was a bit familiar with it, and the first time i heard of undertale (long before the game came out) due to the name and how Toriel kinda looks like the creatures from Cave Story, i thought it was a spinoff.
Yoi should definitely play Cave Story. Great experience.

Top Bottom