• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

tumblr_nvthjqm1QO1sj5fapo1_1280.jpg

Thanks!

The first hour or so of the game was disappointing, but I'm glad I gave it another chance. Probably not GOTY material for me, but definitely a fantastic game.

Gonna do a genocide run tomorrow. I'll kill everyone.

Note for that:
You'll have to kill every single enemy in each area, until the random encounters say "nobody came", or the savepoints don't have any little quips but "Determination.". This is particularly important for the Ruins, as every area after that will tell you how many enemies you have to kill if you check the savepoints. Also be aware that you have to go through it one by one, as backtracking iirc is not possible.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Thanks!

The first hour or so of the game was disappointing, but I'm glad I gave it another chance. Probably not GOTY material for me, but definitely a fantastic game.

Gonna do a genocide run tomorrow. I'll kill everyone.

Well that isn't the only befriending you'll have to do that'll only show up if you hadn't before you beat the game, so the next one starts the actual post-game True Pacifist content.
Also since you're aware of boss locations now it'd be wise to complete your kill count before you reach those points since it locks you out of encounters afterwards and will destroy a genocide run.

To contribute something that isn't fan art, there's some interesting rumors going around regarding a very small detail that I'm sure no one paid attention to.

SPOILERS FOR EVERYTHING

Apparently there's something going on regarding sans' winking. As in he winks different eyes on different routes; winking his right eye on pacifist routes and his left eye (the evil one) on genocide routes. Beyond that people think that every time he winks it is actually a subtle foreshadowing of what is going to happen as on Reddit they posted that the first time you get to Alphys' lab and call Papyrus, he mistakes it for Labrador-y and asks if there are dogs to which sans says he "wouldn't rule it out" Go in the lab and there's a big thing of dog food but no dog. Go in the true lab and well...you know.

Solobbos

So, I accidentally
killed the goat guardian
in the beginning because I didn't know any better. Is there any reason to be pacifist after that? I haven't killed anyone after that.

Puruzi

Banned
To contribute something that isn't fan art, there's some interesting rumors going around regarding a very small detail that I'm sure no one paid attention to.

SPOILERS FOR EVERYTHING

Apparently there's something going on regarding sans' winking. As in he winks different eyes on different routes; winking his right eye on pacifist routes and his left eye (the evil one) on genocide routes. Beyond that people think that every time he winks it is actually a subtle foreshadowing of what is going to happen as on Reddit they posted that the first time you get to Alphys' lab and call Papyrus, he mistakes it for Labrador-y and asks if there are dogs to which sans says he "wouldn't rule it out" Go in the lab and there's a big thing of dog food but no dog. Go in the true lab and well...you know.

Saw this stuff in /utg/, pretty cool

So, I accidentally
killed the goat guardian
in the beginning because I didn't know any better. Is there any reason to be pacifist after that? I haven't killed anyone after that.

If you killed anyone you're fucked out of the pacifist run unless you reset, so just do what you want this run.

Hyoukokun

So, I accidentally
killed the goat guardian
A lot of the folks that you can kill have roles and lines past the point where you fight them; for instance if you kill
Papyrus and/or Undyne
you'll lose out on a lot of funny banter over the phone.

Also, some mild ending spoilers for the neutral path:
Though it's common to say that the game has three major routes / endings (genocide, neutral, pacifist) there's a whole bunch of different epilogue possibilities on the neutral route depending on who you murderize. Some of them are funny, some of the are kind of heartbreaking.

NotLiquid

I LOVE THIS! So cute!!

Here's some fanart I did:

http://41.media.tumblr.com/1dfbec34fac4dd3ff0eede0d06e01df2/tumblr_nvno2dukH81qbgbeeo1_400.png

Just the link cause minor spoilers

Oh man, that's a huge honor coming from you Paul, thanks <3
I love your Undertale piece as well! This might be a cheeky thing to say but following you on Twitter and seeing you come around on the game so much that you made your own piece was actually what inspired me to draw fan art too.

SPOILERS FOR EVERYTHING

Continued everything spoilers:
It's very very heavily implied that Sans has a scientific background, and not only that, it's also implied that there's a connection between Sans and the royal scientist that was replaced by Alphyne (Gaster, who disappeared after falling into the Core). This includes but is not limited to one of Sans' attacks in his boss fight, which is named "Gasterblaster" in the files - it's, I believe, the skulls. Furthermore, Sans is one of the very few monsters that is aware of the Save system and its effects on the timelines.

It's very very heavily implied that Sans has a scientific background, and not only that, it's also implied that there's a connection between Sans and the royal scientist that was replaced by Alphyne (Gaster, who disappeared after falling into the Core). This includes but is not limited to one of Sans' attacks in his boss fight, which is named "Gasterblaster" - it's, I believe, the skulls. Furthermore, Sans is one of the very few monsters that is aware of the Save system and its effects on the timelines.

I love sans. He's the most interesting character in the game.

JC Sera

I love sans. He's the most interesting character in the game.
this is pretty much my sentiment
despite giving up due to being stuck in the players groundhog day loop, giving up on his responsibilities

he still tries to cheer his brother & toriel up, even though he knows its all going to be reset

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
so for a genocide run is there any way of telling if you have killed all the enemy's in the area?

Save points past the ruins will tell you how many living creatures are left and when you're done it'll just say DETERMINATION also encounters will just say "But nobody came..." when you hit the limit.
In the ruins the save points will be normal till you've killed everyone sans the boss.

Save points past the ruins will tell you how many living creatures are left and when you're done it'll just say DETERMINATION also encounters will just say "But nobody came..." when you hit the limit.
In the ruins the save points will be normal till you've killed everyone sans the boss.

thanks i'm not looking forward to the genocide run but
DETERMINATION REFUSES

I'm listening to the OST as I do some marking and just thinking about how incredible it is. I can't even chose a favourite song. It's definitely going to become one of my go-to focus playlists.

Finished my true Pacifist run the other day. Really enjoyed this game. The characters, the music, the feels-- maybe my GotY. Definitely not gonna do a Genocide run or anything, but I might reload my file to get
yellow titles for all enemies in the ending credits since I missed a couple. edit: Nevermind, can't do that because random battles are gone. ;(

Gonna shell out for the OST too now!

PSqueak

Banned
It's very very heavily implied that Sans has a scientific background, and not only that, it's also implied that there's a connection between Sans and the royal scientist that was replaced by Alphyne (Gaster, who disappeared after falling into the Core). This includes but is not limited to one of Sans' attacks in his boss fight, which is named "Gasterblaster" in the files - it's, I believe, the skulls. Furthermore, Sans is one of the very few monsters that is aware of the Save system and its effects on the timelines.

Leading theory is that WD Gaster is a 3rd skelleton, either a brother or their father, figuring that WD stands for Wing Dings and that's why Sans has awareness of it.

So are people expecting that we'll get a major update to the game in the near future?

Hopefully completed Hard Mode.

Leading theory is that WD Gaster is a 3rd skelleton, either a brother or their father, figuring that WD stands for Wing Dings and that's why Sans has awareness of it.

Actually, if you take WD Gaster and break it into Wing DinG Aster, it's 2 font names - WingDinG and Aster. Also fun fact: Whenever Sans is being serious, he swaps his font from Comic Sans to Sans Serif.

I'm just wondering if all spoilers ever
we'll see more content expanding on Dr. Gaster and Sans. Maybe even a surprise entirely new game!!? I mean would anyone put it past Toby Fox to have made a 20-hour-long game and release only half of it until people find something out or something???

Zekes!

I just "finished" this.

I say "finished" because I got to the final boss and kept dying and decided just to watch the ending online (because I was aware of that I was on a pacifist run, though luckily I doubled back and completed some extra stuff that would apparently grant me the true ending). Even if I didn't actually achieve the ending myself, this game was a great experience. I've put off doing my homework for university just to play this.

My only gripe (and this is my own fault) is that I didn't go into this blind and knew about killing the enemies or mercying them. I wish I had waited to play this when I had more time, and gone through a neutral ending or something first.

Maybe in the summer I'll give this another run through and see the other two endings. I feel like I'll eventually have to share this game with someone too. If that happens, maybe I'll just watch them play.

This was something special.

I wish I had waited to play this when I had more time, and gone through a neutral ending or something first.

Even if you go full mercy route, on your first playthrough, the game will still give you the neutral ending, so.

(I think that's OK to be not spoilered?)

Kirlia

Banned
I somehow
got the Wrong Number Song in Snowdin. Is that completely random? I've done nothing to my file other than being on my second playthrough, which is True Pacifist.

Zekes!

Even if you go full mercy route, on your first playthrough, the game will still give you the neutral ending, so.

(I think that's OK to be not spoilered?)

Good to know. I did a little bit of reading about the story and quickly realized there was still a lot I missed. I'm definitely going to have to revisit this game when I have more time to spare. I still got a lot out of the game from my one playthrough though.

Top Bottom