• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

dity

I somehow
got the Wrong Number Song in Snowdin. Is that completely random? I've done nothing to my file other than being on my second playthrough, which is True Pacifist.
This isn't a random thing. I got it in exactly the same place twice. It just is a little thing that occurs when you go to the upmost north of Snowdin before the boatwoman is introduced as quick travel.

Nah bro, give me a date with Bratty and Catty or don't give me more dates at all!

Would date Catty in Undertale no sweat do it Toby make it reality.

i cant find these last enemies in the ruins, the check points haven't changed

edit: okay now i got it the enemies aren't location based like i believed oh well time to kill every body

aravuus

Note for that:
You'll have to kill every single enemy in each area, until the random encounters say "nobody came", or the savepoints don't have any little quips but "Determination.". This is particularly important for the Ruins, as every area after that will tell you how many enemies you have to kill if you check the savepoints. Also be aware that you have to go through it one by one, as backtracking iirc is not possible.

Well that isn't the only befriending you'll have to do that'll only show up if you hadn't before you beat the game, so the next one starts the actual post-game True Pacifist content.
Also since you're aware of boss locations now it'd be wise to complete your kill count before you reach those points since it locks you out of encounters afterwards and will destroy a genocide run.

Ah, didn't know I have to be that thorough with killing everyone lol. Thanks for the info!

dity

Ah, didn't know I have to be that thorough with killing everyone lol. Thanks for the info!
Just
keep killing things until it says "but nobody came" and the backgroubd music changes for the area. It counts for the Ruins at the beginning too

Also
minibosses like the pair of dogs in the snowy forest count as well so you don't have to do it all on random encounters. But beware of not setting off the tags for advancing the area; in said forest it is fighting the Greater Dog (iirc)

dity

Also
minibosses like the pair of dogs in the snowy forest count as well so you don't have to do it all on random encounters. But beware of not setting off the tags for advancing the area; in said forest it is fighting the Greater Dog (iirc)

You can make up for it in Snowdin by fighting the reindeer monsters. They don't stop spawning.

Gosh, I'm bothered! I noticed a ton of analogues between the weapons in this game and the weapons in the EarthBound series, but I found one single snag. Spoilers for weapons I suppose

Frisk has a stick, Flint has a stick
One of the kids has a knife, Teddy has a knife
One of the kids has shoes, Kumatora has shoes
One of the kids has gloves, Duster has gloves
One of the kids has a gun, Jeff has a (laser gun)
One of the kids has a frying pan, Paula and Ana have frying pans

But the only item that I can't think of a match for is the
notebook.
It's like, it feels so close to being a valid connection that it feels wrong that there exists no connection there

NeonBlack

Just be the game with Pscifist and have a question.
Was there a way to get through that door by Snowdin? Is that the one Sans was mentioning or was he talking to Toriel at the other door?

GSR

Just be the game with Pscifist and have a question.
Was there a way to get through that door by Snowdin? Is that the one Sans was mentioning or was he talking to Toriel at the other door?

I hear the Snowdin door can be opened if you don't get hit at all during the credits, but I'm not 100% sure on that. And the door Sans was talking about was the one to the Ruins, hence he and Toriel recognizing each other in the ending scene.

NeonBlack

I hear the Snowdin door can be opened if you don't get hit at all during the credits, but I'm not 100% sure on that. And the door Sans was talking about was the one to the Ruins, hence he and Toriel recognizing each other in the ending scene.

That makes sense, but I was so mystified by that door I didn't come to that conclusion until after the final scene lol.

kurona_bright

Neo Member
If anyone wants even more of a bad time, people should check out his Earthbound Halloween Hack.

Here's some developer commentary on it (obviously pretty spoilery for the hack): http://radiation.fobby.net/halloween/

Haven't played it, but I watched a video of what was presumably the final boss just so I could hear the original version of bad time boss music (that can be found here). The writing in that fight really put me off - it's pretty clear that he's improved considerably as a writer since then.

aravuus

Just
keep killing things until it says "but nobody came" and the backgroubd music changes for the area. It counts for the Ruins at the beginning too

Just a REAL quick about this one: enemies only start appearing after
Toriel gives you her phone number, right? I saw one frog in the preceding hallway, but Toriel chased it away.

Don't want to play for 5 hours just to find out I have to restart lol

e: no wait i guess it doesn't matter since it's whole areas, not individual rooms you have to clear out

Maximo

Don't want to pigeon hole Toby but man...I really need a spiritual successor or sequel or DLC or anything that continues this series I really need more.

dity

Here's some super cute Muffet fanart from @Encoobot.

QwnT5Lp.jpg

So I gave this game a shot. Out of left field, everyone starts talking about how great of a game Undertale is. I've played somewhere around an hour, up to the part where
I meet the skeleton dudes for the first time
and this game is just not grabbing me at all.

I'm all for second chances with games, so here's a couple things I need to know before I get back into it:

- Not finding the combat interesting. I don't know whether to attack or 'talk' my way out of the fight. I haven't gained any experience so far and I'm still level 1. Will this matter? It seems when I actually tried fighting, that it would take way too long so I just starting cheesing it. Do I need to start killing enemies?

- In general, does the game get any better from where I am? I'm assuming yes, but for a game that seems loved by many, most of what I've seen has been mediocre.

Here's some super cute Muffet fanart from @Encoobot.

Adorable.

- Not finding the combat interesting. I don't know whether to attack or 'talk' my way out of the fight. I haven't gained any experience so far and I'm still level 1. Will this matter? It seems when I actually tried fighting, that it would take way too long so I just starting cheesing it. Do I need to start killing enemies?

For your first playthrough, it doesn't really matter. Kill or spare at your whim. There's multiple endings - basically 3 routes that slightly change depending on various decisions, but your first playthrough always will end with the neutral one.
Your XP and LV don't really matter in the long run; you gain more health by leveling up, but you gain equipment to upgrade your damage (if you so desire). So really the only thing that you will gain from killing enemies is some more leeway with enemies.

- In general, does the game get any better from where I am? I'm assuming yes, but for a game that seems loved by many, most of what I've seen has been mediocre.

Honestly, I believe that the game's mechanically not that great. Some people call it polished (which tbh it really isn't), but the draw of the game is its writing rather than the gameplay. The fights will become more challenging and IMMENSE GAMEPLAY TWIST YOU WON'T SEE COMING
involve more mechanics (e.g. your heart icon being affected by gravity so it "jumps" to avoid attacks, etc.), although the combat will stay the same in general.

The dialogue is where this game shines the strongest; there's a TON of things and details and it's really crazy how much was put into this game's writing. The plot is intriguing, and has several layers to it. Also the music is great.

aravuus

[...] your first playthrough always will end with the neutral one.

Really? So I guess it wasn't a pacifist run I just did after all.

Hmm.. Subsequent playthroughs shouldn't take long, so maybe I'll try and get all the endings with a guide or something. For now, I'll just stick with the genocide run.

Really? So I guess it wasn't a pacifist run I just did after all.

Hmm.. Subsequent playthroughs shouldn't take long, so maybe I'll try and get all the endings with a guide or something. For now, I'll just stick with the genocide run.

Yes.
That's why I'm specifically avoiding putting this in spoiler tags since it seems several people play the first playthrough pacifist and think that's the ending they were getting out of that playthrough. But even if you go 100% pacifist on your first playthrough, the game will give you the neutral ending regardless.

dity

I like the fights because it's actually about dodging and not the same old tired turn-based RPG formula. I think Toby can definitely take the system places if he ever makes another game.

I like the idea of the combat, it's fairly unique. I also love the execution on some of the attacks (e.g. the little frog that jumps at you when you fight a Froggit), but I can see why it could be considered somewhat dull. It's not very engaging.

dity

I like the idea of the combat, it's fairly unique. I also love the execution on some of the attacks (e.g. the little frog that jumps at you when you fight a Froggit), but I can see why it could be considered somewhat dull. It's not very engaging.
You go practice the final boss for Genocide route and tell me it's not very engaging. That shit requires utmost concerntration. Took me many a night.

I wanna play 3 times and do a No Mercy run but man, killing any characters would break my heart.

Yeah, two's gonna be my limit (aside from replaying the game to re-get True Pacifist - as well as any other details I may have missed). Genocide route just doesn't sound like a good time!

You go practice the final boss for Genocide route and tell me it's not very engaging. That shit requires utmost concerntration. Took me many a night.

Being really difficult and based on trial and error (for the most part) doesn't really make it more engaging.

;)

dity

Being really difficult and based on trial and error (for the most part) doesn't really make it more engaging.

;)
Think whatever you want, but the monsters attacks in neutral and pacifist are very dull compared to anything in genocide. It's "engaging" as in you actually have to try.

Think whatever you want, but the monsters attacks in neutral and pacifist are very dull compared to anything in genocide. It's "engaging" as in you actually have to try.

Well...
Genocide spoilers
To be honest, only Undyne and Sans pose any real threat to you; the random encounters stay the same anyway.

Either way - I don't find the combat to be particularly interesting unless it is something quirky like aforementioned jumping frog. Including the hard bosses. The gameplay is imo not the main draw of the game, and not even of the combat. The in-combat dialogue is more interesting than the dodging of attacks.

aravuus

Yes.
That's why I'm specifically avoiding putting this in spoiler tags since it seems several people play the first playthrough pacifist and think that's the ending they were getting out of that playthrough. But even if you go 100% pacifist on your first playthrough, the game will give you the neutral ending regardless.

Alright, guess I'll do the pacifist run after genocide, then!

Also, the combat system is very clever, but not really fun at all.

dity

Well...
Genocide spoilers
To be honest, only Undyne and Sans pose any real threat to you; the random encounters stay the same anyway.

Either way - I don't find the combat to be particularly interesting unless it is something quirky like aforementioned jumping frog. Including the hard bosses. The gameplay is imo not the main draw of the game, and not even of the combat. The in-combat dialogue is more interesting than the dodging of attacks.

In the first two runs you're usually aiming to get out of the fight as fast as possible, some monsters you don't even experience their range of attacks. :/

I quite like the gameplay. Sue me.

Alright, guess I'll do the pacifist run after genocide, then!

Also, the combat system is very clever, but not really fun at all.

Uhh... yeah not sure you want to do it in that order. I can elaborate if you want to.

And agreed on the combat.

In the first two runs you're usually aiming to get out of the fight as fast as possible, some monsters you don't even experience their range of attacks. :/

I quite like the gameplay. Sue me.

Hey man, whatever floats your boat. If you think it's fun, you think it's fun. I don't really think it's all that interesting despite its uniqueness. I was just trying to express that I can understand why people would find the gameplay off-putting.

aravuus

Uhh... yeah not sure you want to do it in that order. I can elaborate if you want to.

Well then, please do elaborate! I just started with the genocide run so I figured I'd see it to the end before doing a pacifist run, but I'm only half an hour in so resetting is no big deal. I can still restart and go for pacifist.

Well then, please do elaborate! I just started with the genocide run so I figured I'd see it to the end before doing a pacifist run, but I'm only half an hour in so resetting is no big deal. I can still restart and go for pacifist.

Ok
Pacifist/Genocide spoilers
If you complete Genocide, the game will not allow you to achieve True Pacifist ending, and the final bits of story will be altered as the game remembers you did Genocide. You can circumvent this by going into the game files (I can point you to how to do it if you wish), but generally it's in your interest to first play through True Pacifist and then end with Genocide.

That said, the general gist of Pacifist will remain the same. It just won't end the same.

Kirlia

Banned
Finished the True Pacifist run. Amazing game, amazing experience.

Never touching the game again (except to maybe avoid all the special thanks names, which I doubt I could really do) unless there's a way to save Asriel. Which there apparently is not. Yet.

aravuus

Ok
Pacifist/Genocide spoilers
If you complete Genocide, the game will not allow you to achieve True Pacifist ending, and the final bits of story will be altered as the game remembers you did Genocide. You can circumvent this by going into the game files (I can point you to how to do it if you wish), but generally it's in your interest to first play through True Pacifist and then end with Genocide.

That said, the general gist of Pacifist will remain the same. It just won't end the same.

Yeah alright, that makes sense. I'll do the pacifist run first, then. I spent much of my first playthrough just inspecting stuff, so these next playthroughs won't hopefully take longer than maybe 4-ish hours. I don't really have anything to do today so maybe I'll manage to do both pacifist and genocide tonight.

If Hard Mode is ever released (and who knows if it will be... <.<), I'm hoping we will get some final bits of story that will allow us to piece some more of the puzzle together.
I don't want everything answered, because leaving some questions unanswered and players to speculate is a good way to keep a game like this alive, but just a little more so we have some better grounds to speculate on would be awesome.

Yeah alright, that makes sense. I'll do the pacifist run first, then. I spent much of my first playthrough just inspecting stuff, so these next playthroughs won't hopefully take longer than maybe 4-ish hours. I don't really have anything to do today so maybe I'll manage to do both pacifist and genocide tonight.

Glad I could help. This game is a bit difficult to figure out, but Neutral > Pacifist > Genocide seems to be the intended way of playing through the 3 endings if you just wanted to get the 3 routes inspected and not pick up all the minor variations in dialogue the characters give. However, in the end it's naturally up to you to decide.

dity

Hey man, whatever floats your boat. If you think it's fun, you think it's fun. I don't really think it's all that interesting despite its uniqueness. I was just trying to express that I can understand why people would find the gameplay off-putting.
I just don't appreciate the winky eye shit.

I just don't appreciate the winky eye shit.

That was supposed to be a reference. Didn't want to actually post an image of it. :p
Either way, I find boss fights of which you just have to learn the pattern in order to beat them to be mostly dull and frustrating. Difference of opinion, I suppose, but you know how it is.

goblin

Oh, so I didn't get True Pacifist? Well I suppose I'll have to play the game one more.

And only once more.

Just want to clarify a bit. It's possible to save time and go from the neutral ending of your first playthrough to the extra events of the pacifist ending without starting from scratch. You need to have played as a pacifist (no EXP),
gone on a date with Papyrus, then poured water on Undyne and spent time with her at her home
. Just reload your save after beating the game, backtrack some and you should get a call with more instructions. If you played as a pacifist but missed some of the other requirements, you may still be able to backtrack and complete them in your post-game save.

There are apparently some neat variations on dialogue if you do decide to reset and go through the game again, but not everyone has the time (or desire) to play through even a short game from start to finish multiple times.

dity

That was supposed to be a reference. Didn't want to actually post an image of it. :p
Either way, I find boss fights of which you just have to learn the pattern in order to beat them to be mostly dull and frustrating. Difference of opinion, I suppose, but you know how it is.
I consider "dull" to be RPGs where you can generally just button mash a single move to win and everything else is left to chance due to stats.

Genocide spoilers
how the hell do you beat San's. I can get him to his second stage i don't have enough healing items to keep me going and his attacks

Just want to clarify a bit. It's possible to save time and go from the neutral ending of your first playthrough to the extra events of the pacifist ending without starting from scratch. You need to have played as a pacifist (no EXP),
gone on a date with Papyrus, then poured water on Undyne and spent time with her at her home
. Just reload your save after beating the game, backtrack some and you should get a call with more instructions. If you played as a pacifist but missed some of the other requirements, you may still be able to backtrack and complete them in your post-game save.

There are apparently some neat variations on dialogue if you do decide to reset and go through the game again, but not everyone has the time (or desire) to play through even a short game from start to finish multiple times.

Oh, then I already did it. :v I thought that all of the stuff preceding the
True Laboratory + date
was just the preamble.

dity

Genocide spoilers
how the hell do you beat San's. I can get him to his second stage i don't have enough healing items to keep me going and his attacks
It's trial and error. Every attack you make advances the battle. Heal when he goes to spare you. He will keep sparing you until you attack again

I consider "dull" to be RPGs where you can generally just button mash a single move to win and everything else is left to chance due to stats.

Fair point, though I consider the RPG genre in general dull. I really, really don't like most turn-based RPGs for various reasons, and they have to have something that truly grips me in either story (which a lot of them don't) or, even more so, gameplay (which even more of them don't). More often than not, I will pass on RPGs because I'm normally a pure gameplay man which RPGs often don't provide in favour of their storytelling.

Undertale has the story aspect of it nailed the fuck down. To the point that I can get over my general disdain for RPGs. It is commendable that it can do this merely by its writing. And, as mentioned, the combat system is definitely unique enough to be quirky and funny and have me chuckle here and there, but overall it stands only marginally above other RPGs for me.

As an example for gameplay in a turn-based RPG I enjoyed I'd actually go and name Eternal Sonata, despite its fairly lackluster storytelling. It was the basic Namco JRPG combat, but it had enough twists to make it compelling for me, and as the game progressed, more mechanics would get added to the combat that would shake it up once more.
Undertale is trying to do this with the different mechanics like the blue gravity mode and whatnot, but it only applies to a handful of boss fights and just isn't enough.

As said, if you like the gameplay, more power to you. I am genuinely glad you get something out of it, and I'm not being sarcastic here. After all, I'm not saying you are wrong or any of the likes. It's just that the combat doesn't do anything for me (and apparently others as well if this string of postings is anything to go by).

Of course, we can argue the semantics, interpretations and dictionary definitions of words like "dull" or "engaging", but I don't think there's any sense in it. We can perfectly agree to disagree.

Dunkley

Would date Catty in Undertale no sweat do it Toby make it reality.

PACIFIST run:
It would pretty much end up like
Alphys's date, except Bratty and Catty would establish again just how much they are non-romantic life partners for each other.

I don't think it'd be possible to date either one individually.

Genocide spoilers

NO MERCY run:
It's extreme trial and error since the boss fight is designed and justified by story to be as frustrating as possible while still being beatable somehow. It's really meant to test your determination by throwing the most unfair stuff at you, the only thing you can rely on besides the pattern Sans does at his final attack is healing when he spares you.

dity

PACIFIST run:
It would pretty much end up like
Alphys's date, except Bratty and Catty would establish again just how much they are non-romantic life partners for each other.

I don't think it'd be possible to date either one individually.

But what about if it was
a threeway in the dumpster?

Fair point, though I consider the RPG genre in general dull. I really, really don't like most turn-based RPGs for various reasons, and they have to have something that truly grips me in either story (which a lot of them don't) or, even more so, gameplay (which even more of them don't). More often than not, I will pass on RPGs because I'm normally a pure gameplay man which RPGs often don't provide in favour of their storytelling.

Undertale has the story aspect of it nailed the fuck down. To the point that I can get over my general disdain for RPGs. It is commendable that it can do this merely by its writing. And, as mentioned, the combat system is definitely unique enough to be quirky and funny and have me chuckle here and there, but overall it stands only marginally above other RPGs for me.

As an example for gameplay in a turn-based RPG I enjoyed I'd actually go and name Eternal Sonata, despite its fairly lackluster storytelling. It was the basic Namco JRPG combat, but it had enough twists to make it compelling for me, and as the game progressed, more mechanics would get added to the combat that would shake it up once more.
Undertale is trying to do this with the different mechanics like the blue gravity mode and whatnot, but it only applies to a handful of boss fights and just isn't enough.

As said, if you like the gameplay, more power to you. I am genuinely glad you get something out of it, and I'm not being sarcastic here. After all, I'm not saying you are wrong or any of the likes. It's just that the combat doesn't do anything for me (and apparently others as well if this string of postings is anything to go by).

Of course, we can argue the semantics, interpretations and dictionary definitions of words like "dull" or "engaging", but I don't think there's any sense in it. We can perfectly agree to disagree.

Let's agree to disagree then. I just thought you were doing some kind of "lol scrub ;)" gamer bs before and it irked me.

And about Eternal Sonata - played through that on 360. Safe to say I had no idea what the fuck was even going on in the story by the end.

Let's agree to disagree then. I just thought you were doing some kind of "lol scrub ;)" gamer bs before and it irked me.

And about Eternal Sonata - played through that on 360. Safe to say I had no idea what the fuck was even going on in the story by the end.

Haha no, that ;) was supposed to be Genocide spoiler
Sans' winking face. Just didn't want to post an image in relation to said boss fight for obvious reasons.
I guess it just didn't come out the right way.

As for Eternal Sonata's story. Man, that is such a stereotypical case of JRPG story, but like, even a notch higher than standard. Never seen a plot spiral out of control that fast. And it even had something going with the whole medicine plot. Alas.

dity

Haha no, that ;) was supposed to be Genocide spoiler
Sans' winking face. Just didn't want to post an image in relation to said boss fight for obvious reasons.
I guess it just didn't come out the right way.

As for Eternal Sonata's story. Man, that is such a stereotypical case of JRPG story, but like, even a notch higher than standard. Never seen a plot spiral out of control that fast. And it even had something going with the whole medicine plot. Alas.
I get ya I get ya.

Eternal Sonata was um.... "Why are you betraying me again?" sums up the game for me.

Top Bottom