• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

aravuus

As for Eternal Sonata's story. Man, that is such a stereotypical case of JRPG story, but like, even a notch higher than standard. Never seen a plot spiral out of control that fast. And it even had something going with the whole medicine plot. Alas.

I remember hating that game when it came out, but now I'm a bit intrigued lol

I remember hating that game when it came out, but now I'm a bit intrigued lol

It starts out fairly standard (though that mineral/floral medicine plot was actually intriguing) and then you get to the halfway point of the game and it just blows up and somehow you end up in the realm of the dead and I have no idea why.

dity

It starts out fairly standard (though that mineral/floral medicine plot was actually intriguing) and then you get to the halfway point of the game and it just blows up and somehow you end up in the realm of the dead and I have no idea why.
I also heard that the PS3 version has more story content after what the 360 version ends at, meaning the 360 version is essentially sporting an incomplete story. Yay!

Krabboss

Honestly, I believe that the game's mechanically not that great. Some people call it polished (which tbh it really isn't), but the draw of the game is its writing rather than the gameplay.
The fights will become more challenging and involve more mechanics (e.g. your heart icon being affected by gravity so it "jumps" to avoid attacks, etc.), although the combat will stay the same in general.

It's probably not worth trying to sell the game to one person by openly talking about a twist the game pulls with its mechanics.

Also you can think the gameplay is dull for whatever reason but that doesn't mean it's unpolished. The gameplay is actually really good, though.

Genocide spoilers
i will never look at Sans the same ever again, i must have been at that for 3 or more hours.also i think i'm done with this game it has hit so many high notes but some moment really push me so hard i don't think i need to go back. also i don't want to deal with what Genocide will do to other runs.

my DETERMINATION has ended

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Just a REAL quick about this one: enemies only start appearing after
Toriel gives you her phone number, right? I saw one frog in the preceding hallway, but Toriel chased it away.

Don't want to play for 5 hours just to find out I have to restart lol

e: no wait i guess it doesn't matter since it's whole areas, not individual rooms you have to clear out

You didn't kill it so your run is invalid. Kill EVERYONE.

Dunkley

Well I don't think sparing a regular enemy automatically aborts the Genocide route.

I mean after all, it's counted down to how many you still need to encounter per area, so sparing a regular encounter should just leave the counter left unchanged instead of aborting the entire route.

aravuus

I tried to, but Toriel stopped me! Damn you Toriel, let me murder and massacre in peace!

please just let me kill everyone

e:
Genocide spoilers I guess
wow,
even after stopping my genocide run just after killing Toriel, I'm getting nods at that on my current pacifist run. Talking to Toriel gets you something like "you think about telling Toriel you saw her die, but it'd be too creepy" or something.

Man. The details. Blows my mind.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well I don't think sparing a regular enemy automatically aborts the Genocide route.

I mean after all, it's counted down to how many you still need to encounter per area, so sparing a regular encounter should just leave the counter left unchanged instead of aborting the entire route.
It does even
not going full force against Mettaton NEO aborts into neutral too and has unique dialogue for this.
You really have to commit to being a piece of shit for Genocide.
I tried to, but Toriel stopped me! Damn you Toriel, let me murder and massacre in peace!

please just let me kill everyone

Hit the middle of the attack prompt to kill on first strike. :p

Dunkley

Ya gotta kill 'em all for it to be genocide, even that first frog. That's what I read.

So wait, having the frog being scared away by Toriel locks you out of the Genocide Route?

It does even
not going full force against Mettaton NEO aborts into neutral too and has unique dialogue for this.
You really have to commit to being a piece of shit for Genocide.

Uh, yeah, that's why I said regular enemies. Of course you can't go through with it by sparing bosses.

NO MERCY run:
Also Mettaton's dialogue is for not having cleared the area prior to attacking him. Unless you completely miss your attack, he dies in one hit and the Genocide Route goes normally if you have killed all enemies in the area already.

If you look up any speedruns of the route for it, you can clearly see the Crit or Fail The Route thing is just a myth.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
So wait, having the frog being scared away by Toriel locks you out of the Genocide Route?
It does.

Uh, yeah, that's why I said regular enemies. Of course you can't go through with it by sparing bosses.

NO MERCY run:
Also Mettaton's dialogue is for not having cleared the area prior to attacking him. Unless you completely miss your attack, he dies in one hit and the Genocide Route goes normally if you have killed all enemies in the area already.

Wiffing by not going anywhere near the middle of the attack prompt for that fight aborts the run too while Mettaton mocks you a bit for not being able to commit being pure evil.

Well if that is true someone sent me some convincing screens. :p

Dunkley

Wiffing by not going anywhere near the middle of the attack prompt for that fight aborts the run too while Mettaton mocks you a bit for not being able to commit being pure evil.

Well if that is true someone sent me some convincing screens. :p

Yeah that's why I added in a speedrun where someone doesn't do that and still continues the route. Sorry for not linking something like that in the first place prior to editing my post.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Yeah that's why I added in a speedrun where someone doesn't do that and still continues the route. Sorry for not linking something like that in the first place prior to editing my post.

Well the scripted encounters like Froggit do count at least but there aren't many of them so messing up a No Mercy run is pretty hard unless you go past encounters that despawn enemies in the area.

Dunkley

Well the scripted encounters like Froggit do count at least but there aren't many of them so messing up a No Mercy run is pretty hard unless you go past encounters that despawn enemies in the area.

NO MERCY run:
Well, just to make sure of that, I went back and let the Froggit encounter get scared away by Toriel and then proceeded to murder all the random encounter until the "But nobody came." screen came up.

2C6KTOd.png

Turns out sparing the scripted Froggit encounter doesn't affect the Genocide Route since I'm still getting slowed down music, Sans' and Papyrus' Genocide dialogue (as seen in the screen) and the save point still tells me how much I need to kill.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
NO MERCY run:
Well, just to make sure of that, I went back and let the Froggit encounter get scared away by Toriel and then proceeded to murder all the random encounter until the "But nobody came." screen came up.

Turns out sparing the scripted Froggit encounter doesn't affect the Genocide Route since I'm still getting slowed down music, Sans' and Papyrus' Genocide dialogue (as seen in the screen) and the save point still tells me how much I need to kill.

Hrmm the run I'm watching currently had said they had to restart because of the Froggit and the Snowdin thing. (Someone co-commentating along with someone playing for the first time.)

aravuus

NO MERCY run:

2C6KTOd.png

This is what I figured, missed the frog but still got the bleak music and all.

Ah well, I'll be sure to actually kill the frog when I'm doing my genocide run. Just to make sure.

Because I want to kill everyone.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I actually didn't mess up the run at all and destroyed literally everyone for the only time I did it so not too keen on what destroys the run myself aside from obvious stuff I'm going off the LP I'm watching with someone who helped with the game co-commentating and some LPers.
Everdread admits he doesn't know everything about the game though because Toby is coy though so some wrong info might be passed along too.

PSqueak

Banned
Oh gosh i just had a revelation!

All runs spoiler
In my first run the game crashed when i was fighting Papyrus during his final attack, at first i thought it was intentional (because the attack was so cool) but when i reloaded the save and fought him again, there was no acknoledgement of it happeing, so it was a legit crash? well i just realized what actually happened.

Earlier this thread someone pointed out you can't actually lose to Papyrus because in his normal attacks he stops when your HP reaches 1.

But i realize now this doesn't happen in his final attack, i should have died at that moment but instead the game crashed.

THE GAME WILL LITERALLY CRASH RATHER THAN ALLOW PAPYRUS TO KILL YOU!

Dunkley

Oh gosh i just had a revelation!

All runs spoiler
In my first run the game crashed when i was fighting Papyrus during his final attack, at first i thought it was intentional (because the attack was so cool) but when i reloaded the save and fought him again, there was no acknoledgement of it happeing, so it was a legit crash? well i just realized what actually happened.

Earlier this thread someone pointed out you can't actually lose to Papyrus because in his normal attacks he stops when your HP reaches 1.

But i realize now this doesn't happen in his final attack, i should have died at that moment but instead the game crashed.

THE GAME WILL LITERALLY CRASH RATHER THAN ALLOW PAPYRUS TO KILL YOU!

What if Papyrus rather crashes your game than killing you? :p

NeonBlack

So true pacifist
isn't the ending where everyone is set free? I played the first time and weakened the king and fought flowey. Then I went back into my save, became friends with Undyne and got a call that said everything was going as planned. After I was warped to the final area, where the elevator was covered with vines.

PSqueak

Banned
So true pacifist
isn't the ending where everyone is set free? I played the first time and weakened the king and fought flowey. Then I went back into my save, became friends with Undyne and got a call that said everything was going as planned. After I was wrapped to the final area, where the elevator was covered with vines.

Did you become friends/date with Alphys? you need to do this to unlock the last sidequest to the true ending.

Dunkley

Yes
i went through the abandon lab quest and saw that all the experiments returned home to their families.

PACIFIST run:
Yeah,
afterwards you just need to fight Asgore again and you'll see what's different. That's the True Pacifist ending then.

Fireblend

Banned
I'm almost done playing through VLR, and plan to start this game next. I'm ridiculously hyped (so hyped I couldn't wait until I actually started playing to post here :p), everything I've seen so far about this game appeals to me, from the Earthbound quirkyness to.... ok, it's just that really, but I do love everything I've seen about the game so far (which is some gifs+ the Giantbomb Quicklook... I don't want to get too spoiled).

It's probably not worth trying to sell the game to one person by openly talking about a twist the game pulls with its mechanics.

Not every single thing in this game is such a massive spoiler that it has to be hidden. Even the trailer shows an oddity of the gameplay mechanics with an attack that heals instead of hurting you, and changing the size of the little dodge box. I've known the game would change up the mechanics of fighting the very second I saw it because it's not very hard to piece together that it wouldn't always stay the same.
The thing I mentioned is like 30 minutes into the game, and it's not a even really a "twist" that compromises the story or anything.

I seriously don't understand the massive spoiler culture. But what do I know. I'll spoiler-tag it, just for you.

Also you can think the gameplay is dull for whatever reason but that doesn't mean it's unpolished. The gameplay is actually really good, though.

Major issue for me: I have trouble distinguishing the highlights in the combat menu (highlighted is yellow, not highlighted is orange). There's a reason why so many RPGs use massive pointers and/or those little select frames for their highlighting - to make it so even a blind and colourblind bat like me can see it. Mother 3 has a similar way of highlighting, but there the highlighted option is bright white with orange symbols, while the deselected buttons are greyed out, making it immediately clear where you are in the menu. This does not mark a polished game.

A friend of mine had issues setting up his joypad (it randomly decided to not take directional inputs), it took him 30 minutes or so to set up his controls and get them working. This does not mark a polished game.

There's other things that I noticed, though they were minor and, I'm fairly certain, have more to do with the game being made in Game Maker than anything else. One thing I remember that annoyed me quite a bit is that the game accidentally skips some dialogue selection prompts. When pressing the auto-complete button on the dialogue boxes, and since the option prompts immediately auto-complete, you sometimes pick an answer without wanting to. This does not mark a polished game.

Furthermore, and this is a criticism independent from the whole "oh it's such a polished game" remark, the puzzles seem more tedious than anything. They're not hard to figure out, and feel more like a "RPGs have to have puzzles, so let's also have puzzles" kinda thing. In the end, they just kinda drag out the game artificially, which isn't all that great.

I just do not believe that the gameplay is this game's strong point. And with a game where the storytelling is just absolutely great, that's completely okay. The gameplay serves its purpose, and it has its unique quirks that make it somewhat stand out. I just do not think that it's great. If you do, that's perfectly fine.
I'm not saying it's the worst thing ever, either. The game is absolutely playable, and my issues with it are, well, lack of polish. Minor stuff. And I suppose that's okay.
There's more than just black and white. I just don't find the gameplay to be particularly interesting.

Krabboss

Not every single thing in this game is such a massive spoiler that it has to be hidden. Even the trailer shows an oddity of the gameplay mechanics with an attack that heals instead of hurting you, and changing the size of the little dodge box. I've known the game would change up the mechanics of fighting the very second I saw it because it's not very hard to piece together that it wouldn't always stay the same.
The thing I mentioned is like 30 minutes into the game, and it's not a even really a "twist" that compromises the story or anything.

I seriously don't understand the massive spoiler culture. But what do I know. I'll spoiler-tag it, just for you.
I'm not a person who complains about spoilers, but everybody in this thread is pretty clearly making a big effort to tag anything which could be construed as a spoiler because there are definitely people who get upset about this sort of thing.
Understanding that the mechanics of the battle system will change isn't the same as knowing how the mechanics will change.
You can ease up on the sarcasm in your edit. I'm honestly shocked I didn't cop any winky faces from you as well.

Major issue for me: I have trouble distinguishing the highlights in the combat menu (highlighted is yellow, not highlighted is orange). There's a reason why so many RPGs use massive pointers and/or those little select frames for their highlighting - to make it so even a blind and colourblind bat like me can see it. Mother 3 has a similar way of highlighting, but there the highlighted option is bright white with orange symbols, while the deselected buttons are greyed out, making it immediately clear where you are in the menu. This does not mark a polished game.

It's pretty unlikely that JRPGs in the 80s and 90s featured massive pointers to accommodate colourblind people. No game should be an issue for colourblind people though and this is probably something Toby should address.

A friend of mine had issues setting up his joypad (it randomly decided to not take directional inputs), it took him 30 minutes or so to set up his controls and get them working. This does not mark a polished game.
That's unfortunate. I don't think one person having an issue means the game is unpolished though.

There's other things that I noticed, though they were minor and, I'm fairly certain, have more to do with the game being made in Game Maker than anything else. One thing I remember that annoyed me quite a bit is that the game accidentally skips some dialogue selection prompts. When pressing the auto-complete button on the dialogue boxes, and since the option prompts immediately auto-complete, you sometimes pick an answer without wanting to. This does not mark a polished game.

Furthermore, and this is a criticism independent from the whole "oh it's such a polished game" remark, the puzzles seem more tedious than anything. They're not hard to figure out, and feel more like a "RPGs have to have puzzles, so let's also have puzzles" kinda thing. In the end, they just kinda drag out the game artificially, which isn't all that great.

I just do not believe that the gameplay is this game's strong point. And with a game where the storytelling is just absolutely great, that's completely okay. The gameplay serves its purpose, and it has its unique quirks that make it somewhat stand out. I just do not think that it's great. If you do, that's perfectly fine.
I'm not saying it's the worst thing ever, either. The game is absolutely playable, and my issues with it are, well, lack of polish. Minor stuff. And I suppose that's okay.
There's more than just black and white. I just don't find the gameplay to be particularly interesting.

You shouldn't be able to cancel through a dialogue choice, that's true.

You keep bringing up these boogeymen who are going around calling this game incredibly polished when I honestly ain't seen any mention of polish one way or another until your post. Whether you liked the puzzles or not seems irrelevant to the game's polish, though. I didn't think the ones in the initial zone were great, but the rest were fine.

Anyway, I read your comment as implying the battle system is unpolished. You're welcome to not like it, but I don't think it was wanting for polish. It functioned the way it was supposed to and I thought it was a novel way to play through an RPG.

I don't need to be lectured on how how opinions work tho

Well if we're going to avoid every single aspect of the game that could be possibly conceived as a spoiler, then we also should spoiler-tag that the game has
multiple endings
, no? I would argue that is a lot, LOT more significant than
"the battle mechanics change"

I've seen a lot of people mention that the game is polished, not necessarily in this thread, but generally across the webs. I wasn't specifically narrowing it down onto the combat, though the menu highlighting is indeed a problem of polishing in combat. I mean, it's not like I literally can't see what is highlighted, I just find it a little difficult to distinguish at a quick glance, and believe it should be. If the deselected buttons were grey, for instance, it'd be perfect.

As for RPGs of ye olde days - you're wrong. Not all, granted, but most have big cursors or use a frame to indicate where you are in a menu. And while this is not done to specifically accomodate colour-blind people, it's done to make it easily visible at a quick glance where you are in the menu.

For instance, in Final Fantasy 1, you have the big hand cursor:

Shining in the Darkness had red borders around your selections, and the little green box cursor:

Just 2 examples for older RPGs of this type I could think of.

Puruzi

Banned
I love the gameplay in Undertale. Bullet hells are my jam. Had no issue with the UI at all too. Everything about the game was perfect for me.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Yeah since I love bullet hells the combo with turn based gameplay made this the most fun I had with a turn based RPG title. Playing through Earthbound right now I wish it had the dodging system. lol

Gsnap

Yeah, the gameplay is great. Lots of variety and challenge, getting a lot of mileage out of a simple foundation. Having the meat of the gameplay be in the defense is not only fun, but also fits with the game's themes. And pretty much all the puzzles and other gameplay scenarios outside of the regular battles are actually unique twists on the core gameplay in the battle system as well.
(aka, they're all about using up, down, left, and right to navigate 2-dimensional space in order to overcome some obstacle)
This adds a level of consistency, allowing the game to ask you to do a variety of tasks, without being overly complex or feeling like they came from a completely different game.

As far as gameplay in turn-based rpgs goes, Undertale is top tier.

aravuus

Pacifist run done. Holy shit,
the game actually made me think twice about resetting.

Sorry Flowey, but I have to murder everyone now.

Kirlia

Banned
Yeah, the gameplay is great. Lots of variety and challenge, getting a lot of mileage out of a simple foundation. Having the meat of the gameplay be in the defense is not only fun, but also fits with the game's themes. And pretty much all the puzzles and other gameplay scenarios outside of the regular battles are actually unique twists on the core gameplay in the battle system as well.
(aka, they're all about using up, down, left, and right to navigate 2-dimensional space in order to overcome some obstacle)
This adds a level of consistency, allowing the game to ask you to do a variety of tasks, without being overly complex or feeling like they came from a completely different game.

As far as gameplay in turn-based rpgs goes, Undertale is top tier.

I can understand criticism towards the puzzles (mainly that dumb colored switch one in the Ruins), but the battle gameplay is varied, especially for the bosses. Sure, you avoid attacks in every encounter, but each battle still feels unique. I'm honestly a bit surprised that people think that battle gameplay is boring/ho-hum/uninspired. Then again, I don't tend to play bullet hell games, so maybe they've seen more impressive stuff.

kurona_bright

Neo Member
I feel when most people talk about polish, it's more about the insane amount of detail the creator has put into the game. The way the music changes when you turn off the lights in Toriel's house, the many distinct lines of dialogue when you decide to go downstairs before the big confrontation, and the way items from the beginning of the game can still be used, all the way up to the final boss.

While I don't have any grounds to talk with regards to colorblindness (I'm sure if Toby was told about it, he'd be perfectly willing to make changes), I can say I had zero problems setting up my controller for the game. I plugged it in, and the game recognized it instantly. It's a shame the heart icon didn't manage to make up for the UI's color choices, though.

I don't feel the gameplay in the game is bad or even mediocre, though. Learning all the monster's attack patterns was pretty fun, and it felt great whenever I managed to get through a turn on one of the harder enemies without getting hit once. Sure, some of the puzzles could be pretty simplistic/boring on their own, but there's all this great humor surrounding it that makes them something more - like when the game told me, "Congratulations! You failed the puzzle!" I laughed out loud. Gameplay and narrative are pretty tightly linked in this game, so I feel judging them separately isn't really useful in terms of player's experience.

Anyways, that's a lot more words than I intended to write when I just wanted to link to this comic (true ending spoilers): http://pkbunny.tumblr.com/post/130675215104/sorry-asgore

Dimmle

Can we all agree that the one puzzle right before the Royal Guards in Hotland with the direction-swapping steam pads is kind of the worst? It's not a pain once you figure it out but I probably spent more time on that puzzle than any other instance in the game.

Generally, though, I found all of the puzzles pretty enjoyable with the exception of the trivial and slightly irritating hole puzzles in the Ruins.

Kirlia

Banned
Can we all agree that the one puzzle right before the Royal Guards in Hotland with the direction-swapping steam pads is kind of the worst? It's not a pain once you figure it out but I probably spent more time on that puzzle than any other instance in the game.

Generally, though, I found all of the puzzles pretty enjoyable with the exception of the trivial and slightly irritating hole puzzles in the Ruins.

Haha, that puzzle was pretty annoying...and of course it has a simple solution that I didn't figure out for a good five minutes.

The Ruins probably did have the worst puzzles; the hole puzzles killed time and the colored switch puzzles WERE JUST BULLSHIIIIIIIIIIT, but the puzzles got better after that.

Anyone happen to have a favorite super minor character? Like, an NPC sprite that appears all of once and has very little dialogue? They're all pretty charming, but I'm fond of the NPCs in the Librar
b
y. They're just so adorable!

So, are you guys #teamgoatdad or #teambonedad?

Are you talking about
Toriel ending up with Asgore or Sans? Toriel/Sans is so adorable, but I like to think that Toriel and Asgore become friends again

Top Bottom