• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Dimmle

Anyone happen to have a favorite super minor character? Like, an NPC sprite that appears all of once and has very little dialogue? They're all pretty charming, but I'm fond of the NPCs in the Librar
b
y. They're just so adorable!

For me, it's either Onion-san or Burgerpants. Onion-san is just the saddest little champ and Burgerpants is... complex. The little vignette between (any run spoiler, I guess???)
the latter and Catty and Bratty
is maybe my favorite optional detail in the entire game.

kurona_bright

Neo Member
The Ruins probably did have the worst puzzles; the hole puzzles killed time and the colored switch puzzles WERE JUST BULLSHIIIIIIIIIIT, but the puzzles got better after that.
I completely agree, and I think it's pretty much because the ruins have been barely changed since the demo from 2 years ago. The improvement from the ruins to rest of the game is pretty nice.

edit: Colored switch puzzle was pretty easy if you read the sign, yeah. It's just the amount of walking you have to do.

Anyone happen to have a favorite super minor character? Like, an NPC sprite that appears all of once and has very little dialogue? They're all pretty charming, but I'm fond of the NPCs in the Librar
b
I'll always remember that you remembered!

Puruzi

Banned
Haha, that puzzle was pretty annoying...and of course it has a simple solution that I didn't figure out for a good five minutes.

The Ruins probably did have the worst puzzles; the hole puzzles killed time and the colored switch puzzles WERE JUST BULLSHIIIIIIIIIIT, but the puzzles got better after that.

b

Are you talking about
Toriel ending up with Asgore or Sans? Toriel/Sans is so adorable, but I like to think that Toriel and Asgore become friends again

Ruins puzzles were easy as hell. Including the colored switch one.

Gsnap

Hard for me to complain about the ruins puzzles when they were really easy and basically just tutorials. They're not very interesting, yeah, but they're fine.

The last room had two switches behind pillars. I probably missed a clue, but it felt so 50/50 and picking the wrong one restarted the whole puzzle.

The switches were in the same positions in every room, just rotated around like the first room tells you. You need to hit the switch that that room tells you to hit. There is no guessing.

Dimmle

Ruins puzzles were easy as hell. Including the colored switch one.

I don't think anyone is saying they're difficult, just trivial. The one rock pushing gag is fun, though. My problem with the hole puzzle is, like someone else pointed out, the fail state just gives you more walking to do even after you understand the puzzle. It's not punishing in a novel or interesting way.

(guys, people complaining about the quality of a puzzle probably do not need the puzzle explained for them; they got it)

Kirlia

Banned
The switches were in the same positions in every room, just rotated around like the first room tells you. You need to hit the switch that that room tells you to hit. There is no guessing.

(realizes she made the puzzle unnecessarily complicated)

(falls into a hole of shame)

Can we all agree that the one puzzle right before the Royal Guards in Hotland with the direction-swapping steam pads is kind of the worst? It's not a pain once you figure it out but I probably spent more time on that puzzle than any other instance in the game.

Generally, though, I found all of the puzzles pretty enjoyable with the exception of the trivial and slightly irritating hole puzzles in the Ruins.

That's probably the best puzzle in the game because it has a pretty elegant but not immediately obvious solution.

Thulius

b

Jimmy Hotpants.

Dimmle

Exactly. Personally, I'm torn between the two.
Toriel and Sans are really cute together, but Asgore is so nice that I like to think he and Toriel reconciled.

I can't decide either. My heart goes out to
Asgore
, though. Even if he did
commit a few atrocities

That's probably the best puzzle in the game because it has a pretty elegant but not immediately obvious solution.

Yeah, maybe that's why it feels so anomalous?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Can we all agree that the one puzzle right before the Royal Guards in Hotland with the direction-swapping steam pads is kind of the worst? It's not a pain once you figure it out but I probably spent more time on that puzzle than any other instance in the game.

Generally, though, I found all of the puzzles pretty enjoyable with the exception of the trivial and slightly irritating hole puzzles in the Ruins.

Actually I got that immediately! I wasn't really stumped by any of the puzzles in the game though. lol

PSqueak

Banned
So, are you guys #teamgoatdad or #teambonedad?

To be honest, i can't picture Toriel seeing Sans as anything other than one of "her children", they're very cute together but in a mom-son way, i dunno, maybe my perception is biased because i bounce bad puns with my old man like Sans and Toriel do, so it's easier for me to picture them as a child-parent relationship.

Doesn't mean i think Toriel should forgive goatdad, but ignoring that whole "killed six people, some of them children" issue, Asgore seems like a nice man.

I spent an insane amount of time in that one, then i almost die of embarrassment when i figured it out.

dity

tbh I don't even think Asgore has any chance left with Toriel in any scenario. She pretty much hates the dude.

Sans and Toriel had basically already fallen in love with each other from across the door. She even sat up to write jokes. And he spared the life of a dangerous human on her word alone

Plus if you flirt with AND call Toriel mother Toriel makes fun of Frisk while actively flirting with Sans. I don't think the two see each other as mom-son

Dunkley

I edited the post pretty immediately so I was like "um ok I just woke up what?"

No, before the edit I thought he was saying that it didn't make sense or something lol

Misunderstanding

Ah, yeah, that can happen. I was just a bit confused, haha.

For Sans/Toriel, I think what's interesting about the two is that...
Neutral Run:
...Sans goes to stay with Toriel on every Neutral ending where she doesn't become ruler, although considering all endings where he does involve Papyrus being dead, he might just feel lonely..

PSqueak

Banned
What's amazing about Toriel is that I literally cannot even conceive of and imagine her telling a dirty joke.

Same here.

I guess part of why i can't see this is because as i see it, the characters have very defined roles like

Toriel -> Mom
Sans -> Big brother
watching over you and protecting you
Papyrus -> Funny sibling/best friend
Undyne -> Cool big sis/ badass friend
Alphys -> Nerd Friend
Asgore -> Dad
Asriel -> lil brother

So i just can't see
Toriel and Sans dating

Just finished it for the first time, amazing game and what an ending... I
didn't kill anyone and spared Flowey at the end - he said that now I have to become friends with Alphys to free myself, so I reset the game and started new, and he re-iterated at the beginning that I need to become friends with Alphys. Does this mean I now have to do another full pacifist run (this time presumably with a new Alphys quest?) to get the true ending?

Best side character for me was the little yellow kid who followed you and kept tripping over themselves. Really cute little storyline there.

Just finished it for the first time, amazing game and what an ending... I
didn't kill anyone and spared Flowey at the end - he said that now I have to become friends with Alphys to free myself, so I reset the game and started new, and he re-iterated at the beginning that I need to become friends with Alphys. Does this mean I now have to do another full pacifist run (this time presumably with a new Alphys quest?) to get the true ending?

heh, you didn't have to
reset unfortunately. you just had to reload before fighting asgore and finish a little sidequest involving alphys, and then return to the asgore fight to see the true end

heh, you didn't have to
reset unfortunately. you just had to reload before fighting asgore and finish a little sidequest involving alphys, and then return to the asgore fight to see the true end

Oh no, what?! Thanks for the quick reply, but god dammit :lol
Am I in the minority of not picking up on that? Because that seems really obscure... Reloading the game took me back to the last checkpoint outside the throne room, so no indication that I should be using that world state to do anything. Urrrggh.

So what should I do now do you think, youtube the true pacifist ending and go for a full Genocide play through?

Am I in the minority of not picking up on that? Because that seems really obscure... Reloading the game took me back to the last checkpoint outside the throne room, so no indication that I should be using that world state to do anything. Urrrggh.

So what should I do now do you think, youtube the true pacifist ending and go for a full Genocide play through?

Well,
the True Pacifist ending is amazing, so you definitely need to see it somehow, definitely before you do the Genocide run

PSqueak

Banned
Best side character for me was the little yellow kid who followed you and kept tripping over themselves. Really cute little storyline there.

tumblr_nvsbozR9m91rzi375o1_1280.png

YO!

(yes, i know the sprite actually doesnt have a bow in game, and those are the kid's spikes, but i couldn't help myself)

Well,
the True Pacifist ending is amazing, so you definitely need to see it somehow, definitely before you do the Genocide run

Yeah, just watched it. Really cool, this game is something special alright.
Also to help with the weird 4th wall breaking freakiness - my name is Alex, and the character name on the youtube vid I was watching was called 'Frisk', but then right at the end of Flowey's monologue about the player now having the power to reset everything, he closes with 'Well, that's all. See you later... Alex.' BOOM, end. Don't know what was going on there, but it's so appropriately unnerving, as if that fucking flower reached across time and space to send me that message!

YO!

(yes, i know the sprite actually doesnt have a bow in game, and those are the kid's spikes, but i couldn't help myself)

D'awww :D

PSqueak

Banned
Yeah, just watched it. Really cool, this game is something special alright.
Also to help with the weird 4th wall breaking freakiness - my name is Alex, and the character name on the youtube vid I was watching was called 'Frisk', but then right at the end of Flowey's monologue about the player now having the power to reset everything, he closes with 'Well, that's all. See you later... Alex.' BOOM, end. Don't know what was going on there, but it's so appropriately unnerving, as if that fucking flower reached across time and space to send me that message!

Spoilers for true Ending, if you only watched the ending you missed this because you didn't do the sidequest and victory lap!

Frisk is the name of the character you play as, not the character you enter the name for, but when flowey says "see you later Alex" he's actually adressing you, the player.

Nah, I played through a second time because I didn't know either. It's nice to see
some subtle differences throughout the game

dity

I really wish there was Undertale merchandise, but given it's an indie title I don't see that happening for a long time.

GSR

I really wish there was Undertale merchandise, but given it's an indie title I don't see that happening for a long time.

I don't have the link on hand, but Toby confirmed he's working on it. In the meantime he asks that folks don't sell unofficial stuff.

Ehh, there was Shovel Knight shirts n' such within a month or two of it's release. Granted that had a lot to do with how well received that was across multiple platforms, but I can see Undertale getting some relatively soon-ish. I know Toby has stated he had some ideas he wanted to get rolling regarding merchandise.

Top Bottom